Start by marking “Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis, #1)

Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  1,362 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews
As a newly minted Assistant U.S. Attorney in Washington, D.C., Anna Curtis has already developed thick skin to deal with the brutality she encounters with her daily stack of domestic violence cases. Yet when Laprea Johnson walks into Anna’s life—battered by her boyfriend on the morning after Valentine’s Day—there’s something about this particular case that Anna can’t quite ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Touchstone (first published October 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Law of Attraction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Law of Attraction

Ali
Nov 14, 2015 Ali rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
There's no way this book was written in 2010. It was clearly written in 1987.

The evidence:

1. When Jack meets Anna, he notices her "great legs" (95). More specifically, he prefers her calves to her face (96). Now who in their right mind goes out of their way to evaluate someone's calves? Everyone knows the 2010s are all about dat ass.

2. When Anna wants to impress Nick in court, she considers wearing a "periwinkle silk jacket with a Chinese collar" (117). Not cute, Anna.

3. When Jack needs Anna's a
Shelli
Jan 11, 2014 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2014
I will give this 4 stars because the legal thriller story was good...fast paced and interesting with a surprise twist. I actually read the second book in this series first and came back to get the main character's back story. I enjoyed learning more about Anna Curtis DC prosecutor, but once again her romantic encounters were the weakest part of the book. The legal action areas are much stronger. I will probably read the next one and hope the romance area is stronger or not a focus. Still, an enj ...more
Helen
Apr 21, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing
Excellent story with a interesting twist. It was a "can't put down" book. The story kept me captivated and the writing was excellent. It was a very easy read. Having worked in a USAO myself, I could relate to a lot of the content which was accurate. I thought the writer was excellent and plan to read her other books.
Beth
Apr 19, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
This book kept me up late and turning pages. It's the kind of novel where you keep telling yourself you know who did it, read a few more pages and then change you're mind because now you really know who did it! Can't wait to pick up more of her novels!
Sebastian
Sep 18, 2013 Sebastian rated it liked it
Mixed feelings 3.5 stars.

There are certain things that Leotta did very well in this debut novel, but some others were lackluster. I really liked the portions in which she is dealing with the legal thriller portion of the plot. She keeps it interesting, with a nice balance between legal proceedings and mystery solving. She also does a great job with crafting some of the characters. For example, D'marco Davis, an abuser who is the defendant in the murder case, is portrayed so vividly that you hate
Sara
Aug 21, 2012 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally a guilty pleasure type of book.
Heather
Feb 21, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Anna Curtis is an an assistant U.S. attorney working in Washington D.C. As a prosecutor with a strong sense of ethics, Anna is initially empowered and hopeful when she gets involved in the domestic abuse case of Laprea Johnson. Laprea has been beaten by her boyfriend D'marco for what she says is the last time, but when she recants her testimony during her trial, Anna is left angry and bewildered. Cowed by her experience in court, Anna is at first cold when the defendant's attorney, Nick Wagner, ...more
Erika

My Rating:

Synopsis:
Paula  Phillips
Jul 19, 2012 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it
It's been awhile since I had read any legal thrillers or crime stories and I think since I have been heavily involved in watching Criminal Minds ( I've nearly finished S2) the idea of Crime and legal thrillers have crossed into my reading sphere.
Law of Attraction by Allison Leotta is a novel that fans of Lisa Scottoline and Marcia Clark will be able to relate to as it is not everyday that a female author can write an amazing Legal Thriller as one compares the amount of females to males writing
Pupottina
Mar 10, 2014 Pupottina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alfabeto-autore

Allison Leotta è già stata definita una “John Grisham” al femminile ed è proprio vero.
Il suo romanzo d’esordio, LA REGOLA DEL GIOCO, è un legal thriller che si sviluppa in crescendo, man mano che le carte del processo vengono disposte in tavola. La protagonista, del primo romanzo già diventato una serie, è Anna Curtis, un sostituto procuratore alle prime armi, ma ha già dimestichezza con i casi di cui si occupa. L’ambientazione è Washington DC, dalle aule del tribunale agli interni delle abitazi
Heather
Nov 17, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
Law of Attraction is a fast, entertaining read. While this genre often is somewhat formulaic and predictable, this particular novel didn't quite fit the mold. There were plenty of developments throughout the plot that I just didn't see coming, and a few where I wonder how I missed them. The big twist at the end, I had no idea. Absolutely none. It is so very, very nice to have that happen! Normally I can see the big twist coming halfway through a novel. Not in Law of Attraction. There is a lot go ...more
Suspense Magazine
Aug 31, 2010 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Painful in its realism, talented newcomer Allison Leotta doesn’t hold back in her gritty, debut, legal thriller “Law of Attraction”.
Centered in the bowels of D.C.’s criminal justice system, novice Assistant U.S. Attorney Anna Curtis spends her days submerged in the cruelty of the domestic violence cases that envelop her desk. A never-ending dose of violence has quickly helped Anna separate her emotions and her past from the job at hand until the morning Leprea Johnson walks in her door. Battere
Alison
Apr 15, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong legal drama with heart.

I read Law of Attraction a while ago - at least four months ago - yet when I picked up my book again to sit down to write this review, all the drama and excitement came flooding back to me as if I just turned the last page. We call that staying power.

It's this kind of staying power that is going to keep readers interested and connected to this new series.

Law of Attraction is the story of Anna Curtis, a smart prosecutor, the new Assistant U.S. Attorney, who takes
Lynn Spencer
Oct 27, 2012 Lynn Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't quite give it a 5, but this was a very solid, enjoyable read. I met Leotta briefly at RWA in Anaheim, and really enjoyed speaking with her, so I decided to give her debut novel a try. The author is a former prosecutor and it shows in legal details that make the book believable. The novel is set in Washington DC, and the author does a good job of making readers feel like they really are in DC, as opposed to just any generic American city. I appreciated that, and I also liked that the lega ...more
Betty
Nov 02, 2010 Betty rated it it was amazing
What a book! The cover says it all --- a woman running through the streets of D.C. From the time you open it, you are led by Anna Curtis, a rookie federal attorney investigating a domestic violence case.

The author, Allison Leotta, herself is a federal prosecutor in D.C., specializing in sex crimes and domestic violence. She knows what she is writing, and it shows. Her characters, Anna, Laprea the battered woman, Nick the defense attorney, and Jack the prosecutor are all well-characterized.

Leot
Terri Lynn
Nov 09, 2016 Terri Lynn rated it really liked it
Anna Curtis is a new Assistant US Attorney in Washington,DC when she is to take down the story of a young black mom of two 4 year old twins and who works as a cashier while her mom Rose watches the kids. The woman Laprea had the kids by a baby daddy, a career criminal named D'Marco who has abused her again and again.This time she swears to testify against him. The kids have ridiculous names- D'Montrae and Dameka. The author shows all the black characters with bad grammar.

Anna is screwed over as
Laraine
Apr 08, 2013 Laraine rated it it was amazing
Wow! This first novel is even better than the second...thought the second was very good!

Allison Leotta is a great writer--I am already comparing her to Linda Fairstein, who also writes what she knows...plus! The pluses for this Leotta novel include taboo subjects, effortlessly and very believably dealing with former lovers, great observations carried through...without loose ends.

The story engages from the beginning...easy to identify with Anna Curtis, the newly-minted assistant U.S. attorney a
Jessica
Nov 18, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written creative suspenseful murder mystery novel is one of my favorite treats, and Law of Attraction is one of the best Ive read in years. So gripping I couldn't put it down, with exceptional character development and great plot twists, the book combines legal complexities and race/class issues with emotional nuance and skill rarely seen in a series-style thriller. I await the next in the series with eager anticipation.
Rita Berk
Jun 12, 2016 Rita Berk rated it liked it
Entertaining story about a US Attorney, Anna Curtis, in Washington, DC, who prosecutes a batterer. Much to Anna's dismay, the batterer's victim commits perjury in court and swears that he did not hit her. Anna gets involved with the batterer's public defender but when the victim is killed they must break off the relationship to avoid conflict of interest. Twists and turns make it a fun book to read.
Parisienne
Jun 02, 2016 Parisienne rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I downloaded this book from the library because I'm always curious to see how DC is treated in the world of fiction. The author chose a serious topic, domestic violence. Outside of that, I found the characters, relationships and dialogue annoyingly superficial. DNF. Plenty of other DC books out there.
Alisha Hall
Jul 16, 2013 Alisha Hall rated it it was amazing
I totally loved this book. It was so engaging. The characters are rich and lively. The story kept me at the edge of my seat wondering who - what- when - where - why and WHAAAAAAAAAAATT, toward the end.
It was really phenomenal. I love when a book grips me and I can not seem to put it down. I want to stay up all night to finish it. This is one of those kind.
Chicken Little
Dec 28, 2010 Chicken Little rated it it was amazing
Great debut novel! Awesome characters and a well plotted mystery where murder, betrayal and justice are tightly interconnected. Anna is a marvelous, young, intelligent and honest prosecutor who doesn't let stone unturned in her quest to find the truth.. and the chips fall where they may. A truly enjoyable book, it is also a deep insight into today's courts and their real life heroes. Well done!
Kristi Mangan
Jul 04, 2015 Kristi Mangan rated it liked it
3.5. A gripping legal thriller set in D.C. Leotta's experiences as a U.S. Attorney allow her to add fascinating detail and realism to the legal aspects of the story, though the twists and turns of the plot strain credulity at times. It's still a fun read, particularly for someone like me who lives near D.C.
Joannepistonfan
Jan 08, 2013 Joannepistonfan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cotton candy. I absolutely loved this book, and I would classify it as cotton candy--just a fun, soapy, legal thriller that reads quickly. I appreciated that the author, Allison Leotta, was very educated about domestic violence, as that difficult topic was central to the legal aspect of the novel. I finished the novel in a few hours, and it was pure, relaxing fun for me.
Abigail
Apr 01, 2012 Abigail rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense-r
I loved this book. I thought I new the ending but I didn't and that's what I love about this book. I stayed up till the early morning just to finish, so thank you Allison Leotta for writing a great book.
Megan
A stellar debut -- excellent writing, a compelling story, and the DC setting kept me turning the pages in the first novel featuring Anna Curtis. If the first two books are any indication, the third one (which comes out in August) should be another winner -- can't wait to find out what comes next!
Melissa
Dec 12, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, good plot that kept moving. I was never bored, and enjoyed learning the details of the legal system as told by someone who really knows. It was a good who done it with just the right amount of romance. I definitely recommend it.
Gary
Jan 24, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing
Very interestign read and very enjoyable writing style. I couldn't put this book down and can't wait for the next installment in the series. The book gives a very good description into the legal world of domestic violence.
Beverlee
Feb 24, 2013 Beverlee rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
For me, a "thriller" is all about plot; this is a thriller! I enjoyed reading it a lot. Will it stick with me or change my life? No. But it was a good read with enough twists in the plot to keep it interesting.
  • Heart of a Killer
  • The Floating Girl
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • Killer Ambition (Rachel Knight, #3)
  • Acts of Desperation
  • The Wrong Girl (Jane Ryland, #2)
  • Senseless (Senseless, #1)
  • Eyes Like Mine
  • In Doubt
  • Dark Reservations
  • The Murderers' Club (Sophie Anderson, #2)
  • Land of Careful Shadows (Jimmy Vega Mystery, #1)
  • Just Mercy
  • Who Is Barack Obama?
  • A Death in the Family (Detective Kubu #5)
  • The Convert's Song (Valentine Pescatore #2)
  • Nearer Home: A Nola Céspedes Mystery
For twelve years, I was a federal prosecutor in Washington, DC, where I specialized in prosecuting sex crimes, domestic violence, and crimes against children.

I started writing because I saw heartbreaking tragedies, acts of shocking evil, and vulnerable victims every day - but also moments of real heroism, true love, and healing. Given the stories I witnessed, the rich cast of characters I worked
More about Allison Leotta...

Anna Curtis (5 books)
  • Discretion (Anna Curtis, #2)
  • Speak of the Devil (Anna Curtis, #3)
  • A Good Killing (Anna Curtis, #4)
  • The Last Good Girl (Anna Curtis, #5)