Start by marking “Presumed Dead: A True Life Murder Mystery” as Want to Read:
Presumed Dead: A True Life Murder Mystery

Presumed Dead: A True Life Murder Mystery

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A computer genius. A missing Russian bride. A true-life murder mystery.

Computer genius Hans Reiser married beautiful Russian pediatrician Nina Sharanova, moved with her to his native Oakland, California, and had two children. But bliss soon soured, and in the middle of a contentious divorce Nina simply vanished. One month later, Hans was charged with her murder. But that
Published July 6th 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Presumed Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Presumed Dead

Ruth
Sep 26, 2010 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense-mystery
Interesting truelife murder mystery. Got a bit bogged down in tedious details.
Margie
Oct 27, 2013 Margie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, california
Not so much a mystery as a true crime book, this was written by San Francisco Chronicle crime reporter Henry K. Lee. I appreciate his reporting, and followed his blog during this trial. Unfortunately I don't think his style translates very well to a book of this length. He seems to get bogged down a bit in the minutia. For example, I don't think it was necessary to include the exact wording of the various warrants.

Those who are familiar with the case, or who enjoy true crime (is it possible to e
John Leach
Dec 30, 2012 John Leach rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting but trashy hack writing style. Pointless details. Just read Wikipedia.
Gina
Sep 05, 2014 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This started out pretty slow and mostly kept my interest because I live in the area and could picture all the places and events in the neighborhood. The first third of the book was a bit jumpy and disjointed. Once the timeline got closer to Nina's disappearance, it picked up steam and I tore through the rest of the book. It ended up being a solid addition to my growing true crime library.
Rita
Jan 25, 2016 Rita rated it really liked it
Very well detailed and this author did a fantastic job of threading it all together as there were many different players in this story. A riveting read.
Beverly
Jan 15, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
This is Mr. Lee's first attempt at true crime and he has done a terrific job. He doesn't really delve into the psyche of the people in the story like Ann Rule does, but it is still a really good read. Henry Lee is a crime reporter who covered this particular story. It is about an egotistical programmer who murders his Russian wife. Their two children are, of course, the real tradgedy in all of it. If you are in to true crime, I would highly recommend this one.
Kitty
Sep 05, 2012 Kitty rated it really liked it
Such a sad story on so many levels. Mr. Lee does a great job, and I appreciated his little insights into the book as it was his main focus in covering the story. Many true crime authors don't have as much invested in a case as Mr. Lee. They write after the fact. Mr. Lee was involved from the get go, which supplied many first hand obervations that maybe another author could not have rendered.
Igolder
Jul 29, 2011 Igolder rated it really liked it
Henry K. Lee, not Henry C. Lee!

Goodreads just ate my review where I explained how legendary Henry K. Lee is as a crime reporter, so I will just quickly say, if you want an interpretive gloss on the Hans Reiser case, The Adderall Diaries by Stephen Elliott has one. If you want the full account, as seen through the eyes of Henry K. Lee, read Presumed Dead. Even better, read both!
Jeanine
Feb 24, 2012 Jeanine rated it it was amazing
Very well written and researched. Such a sad story - mom murdered by dad and two young children caught in the middle. This guy should have received the death sentence as far as I'm concerned. This a story of a custody battle gone horribly wrong.
Natalie
Oct 26, 2010 Natalie rated it really liked it
Great true crime (and they are hard to find). I knew too much about the end of the story so I didn't finish it, but I highly recommend this book if you are looking for an Ann Rule type true crime novel...
Sue
Jan 03, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
I pretty much followed the story as it unfolded in nearby Oakland-I learned more from the book then I did from the local news and papers.
Katie Carmona
Sep 30, 2010 Katie Carmona rated it really liked it
The trial coverage was a bit too long, but the investigation was well covered and very interesting.
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Emma Stocker
Emma Stocker marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Maya Hollinshead
Maya Hollinshead is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2016
Karen Francis
Karen Francis marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Monte Francis
Monte Francis rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
aysha
aysha marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Evelyn Westbury
Evelyn Westbury rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2016
Lonnie Wuolle
Lonnie Wuolle marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Donnitta A. Couch
Donnitta A. Couch marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Brandon Bledsoe
Brandon Bledsoe marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Rino
Rino rated it did not like it
Sep 10, 2015