Start by marking “The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)” as Want to Read:

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  12 reviews
(Book Jacket Status: Not Jacketed)

Creator of the famous Philip Marlowe, Raymond Chandler elevated the American hard-boiled detective genre to an art form. Chandler’s last four novels, published here in one volume, offer ample opportunity to savor the unique and utterly compelling fictional world that made his works modern classics.

The Lady in the Lake moves Marlowe out of
Hardcover
Published September 26th 2002 by Everyman

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback

E.H.
Jun 20, 2007 E.H. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to be happy
Raymond Chandler is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy. Or at least my ownership of this is proof that someone loves me, because these are four of the best novels I've read all year.

Philip Marlowe, Chandler's detective, roams the streets of Los Angeles and environs, looking for clues, criminals, or someone to hit with a witty one-liner. He's tired, lonely, propelled forward by some impetus he doesn't reveal; what we see of him comes in bits and pieces: he's in his late thirties, no
Jessica
"Crime isn't a disease, it's a symptom. Cops are like a doctor that gives you aspirin for a brain tumor, except that the cop would rather cure it with a blackjack. We're a big rough rich wild people and crime is the price we pay for it, and organized crime is the price we pay for organization. We'll have it with us a long time. Organized crime is just the dirty side of the sharp dollar."
Martin
The second Raymond Chandler omnibus, containing his last 4 novels in one sweet-looking hardcover. As with the other omnibus volumes of Everyman's Library (like The Big Sleep; Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window, The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man, Red Harvest, The Dain Curse, The Glass Key, and Selected Stories, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce and Selected Stories, and others...), this is actually a better deal than buying the trade paperbacks separately: it's che ...more
Nick
I don't often read genre fiction but when I was kid, it was all I read, especially the detective kind.

Chandler's awesome. Of course. Just finished the first novel in this collection, "The Lady in the Lake." Talk about thrust! It literally reached out, grabbed me, and pulled me through through the book to the final page in about three days: one day reading about 20 pages; the next, 80 pages; the next, 120 pages. And if I wasn't so busy, you can bet I would finished this in one day.

The style is
Nick
Nov 17, 2008 Nick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every last one of you
"The Lady in the Lake" and "The Little Sister" behind me. What is there to say about Raymond Chandler? I used to be a Hammett man. Didn't think Chandler held a candle to him. I was so, so wrong. So wrong. Just started "The Long Goodbye", and expectations are high, not least because of the Altman/Gould film. "The Little Sister" floored me. It put me on the floor and stapled me to the floor and buried the floor and covered the buried floor in an ocean of floorage. I don't even know what so say exc ...more
Riju Ganguly
Knopf is the name associated with "Black Mask" stories and hardboiled genre, so it is perhaps suitable that Chandler's greatest stories have been published so handsomely by Knopf, that beats even the "Library of America" version in its elegance & strength. The novels themselves are almost gold-standards of hardboiled or mystery fiction, and should be considered as great pieces of literature on their own. Highly recommended.
John Marsh
All great stories, but I lost some of the awesomeness by bingeing and reading all of them at once. The Big Sleep and Farewell, My Lovely are two of his best ones. The Long Goodbye is also in the top three, but it's a different structure, with more autobiographical elements.

Chandler's top theme is always that the corrupt rich can buy protection, while the lower classes get the punishment.
Jas
I read 2 of the 4 novels: The Lady in the Lake and The Long Goodbye. I think these are the 2 popular ones, and I wanted to just get a taste of Raymond Chandler.

I didn't identify too much with the time period (LA in the 50s) or the main character, but the unexpected twists and turns in the mystery were entertaining.
Patrick
Of these four The Long Goodbye is the best though not a lot happens and I'm not sure how plausible the twist at the end is for 1953. The Little Sister was the weakest. There were a couple of errors in the text like a heading for the wrong story.
Kurt
I love everything Raymond Chandler did. He had an amazing sense for setting and dialogue. And this Everyman's Library collection looks handsome on a shelf.
Leonard Pierce
If you have no Chandler, this collection is a must-own -- the first and third novels here are among the best he's ever done.
rabbitprincess
Oct 04, 2013 rabbitprincess marked it as to-read-own
I'm about halfway through this collection. Still have to read The Long Goodbye and Playback.
Aniabania
Aniabania marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Voss
Voss marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Patrick
Patrick is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2014
Alexis Lain
Alexis Lain marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Aga
Aga marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Raymond Thornton Chandler was an American novelist and screenwriter.

In 1932, at age forty-four, Raymond Chandler decided to become a detective fiction writer after losing his job as an oil company executive during the Depression. His first short story, "Blackmailers Don't Shoot", was published in 1933 in Black Mask, a popular pulp magazine. His first novel, The Big Sleep, was published in 1939. In
More about Raymond Chandler...
The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe #1) The Long Goodbye (Philip Marlowe, #6) Farewell, My Lovely (Philip Marlowe #2) The Lady in the Lake The High Window