Sex, Sushi, and Salvation: Thoughts on Intimacy, Community, and Eternity

Sex, Sushi, and Salvation: Thoughts on Intimacy, Community, and Eternity

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Jumping from adventure to adventure, Christian George takes the reader on a pointed journey, while three deepest hungers of the human heart are unearthed: the drive for intimacy, the comfort of community, and the expectation of eternity.
Published January 1st 2008 by Moody Publishers

Amanda Birdwell
I almost never give books a one rating if I actually bothered to finish them, and I feel badly doing this now, because the author seems ernest and nice. However, consider the following:

1. "Sushi holds me accountable in a way and prompts me to keep God at my center". (108)

2. "No one is good, not even a six year old boy... We humans are born with venom in our veins, injected by our great ancestors Adam and Eve and confirmed every time we lie or cheat". (143-144)

3. "Christ isn't an impotent Husband...more
Paul
Many people want something more out of life than just the right sneakers or an ipod. For them, feelings of intimacy, community and eternity are much more important. Here is one person’s attempt to find such things in daily life.

The author was part of a mission trip to Russia to set up a summer camp for local orphans. While he was there, he was propositioned by a Russian prostitute. He declined her offer, and she ran away in tears. She later told him that he was the first person to ever say no to...more
Emmanuel Boston
A raw and rugged expression of the Christian faith. Backing away from overused cliches and euphemisms, George connects with contemporary culture in a way that gives God reverence and gives society relevance. An excellent writer that is able to effectively illustrate a portrait of these essentials of the faith effortlessly. Not the deepest read in the world, but one well worth anyone's time. It vividly projects Christianity in unexpected ways. Pick it up today.
Natalie
Feb 20, 2008 Natalie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Very good so far (started it and sent it to my sister for her birthday) - I love the vivid artistry and even poetry that the words have when conveying the pitfalls, beauty, and challenges of expressing, recognizing, and experiencing the gospel. True to the reviews - it has many life-slices that are not explicitly, but nevertheless, are connected around deep themes of intimacy, community, and eternity.
Keith Ray
A very well written work that hold the reader's attention. George's style is engaging and entertaining. The content is doctrinally sound, thought provoking, convicting, and raw. This not a work about younger evangelicals, rather this is a book for younger evangelicals. An excellent blend of the old and the new. A great read that I will read again this year.
Catherine
Aug 20, 2008 Catherine is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I did wonder about this book when I saw it. A friend of mine has written it. I kind of thought 'Christian has written a book about Sex and Sushi? Help! Do I have to read it?' But I've read the first chapter or two and I've changed my mind. This guy is a great writer!
Sam Boychuk
All right, popcorn read. Really about intimatcy and community more than anything else. In small chapter sized servings - it would make a good plane read (Unless you like planes as much as me and need a more man sized book like the entire New Testament)
Jonathan Elwing
Really great read -- reminds me of Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz but wrapped in a modern yet 1st century church approach to theology. The whole book challenges you to examine your relationship with God and the Church. Would highly recommend this!
Bethany
I really like Christian George's writing style. It's engaging and funny. Yet he's strikingly profound in some moments. It's all about the human insatiable desires for intimacy, community, and eternity. Good read.
Stephenie
Quick and easy read that gives you a lot to think about. I loved the way George wove together stories of modern day culture with a desire to know Christ in a deeper, more authentic way.
Jo
This is a wonderful book, the title caught me - the writing kept me. Read it. It is refreshingly said.
Kate Davis
Lots of cliches, no substance, trying to shock the reader, fear of sexuality...I need a shower.
Mary Louise
this guy is a friend of mine....so go buy the book!
Beth
Quick read. Good food for thought.
Kenneth
refreshing, i yearn for more!
Ashanti
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Debi
Debi marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Brandee Holland
Brandee Holland marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Kyle
Kyle added it
Sep 25, 2013
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Godology: Because Knowing God Changes Everything Sacred Travels: Recovering the Ancient Practice of Pilgrimage Jonathan Edwards: An American Genius Studieren in Ruinen Studieren in Ruinen: Die Studenten Der Universitat Bonn in Der Nachkriegszeit (1945-1955)