Start by marking “Runner's World The Runner's Body” as Want to Read:
Runner's World The Runner's Body

Runner's World The Runner's Body

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  27 reviews

Every day scientists learn more about how the body adapts to the stress of running—and how various body systems contribute to running performance. Leading the charge is a fresh generation of brilliant young exercise physiologists including Ross Tucker and Jonathan Dugas, whose work has demolished many long-standing beliefs about running. Now Tucker and Dugas, whose blog, S

Published May 12th 2009 by Rodale Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Runner's World The Runner's Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runner's World The Runner's Body

Stephen
First, the good news. As someone relatively new to the world of running, this book did increase my understanding of various aspects of running. Now the bad news. This book has some of the sloppiest editing I have seen in a while. To name a few... when explaining how the joints work in the body, the text referred to a helpful visual that was unhelpfully absent from the book. In another section it uses tables of figures and asks the reader to refer to certain colored columns, only the tables were ...more
Eduardo
If you know your biology and physiology then a great deal of this book will serve as a nice reminder but the interesting information is sporadically spread throughout the rest of the book.

One point that the authors drive home (and they admit that they will do so in the introduction) is the concept of adaptation to training. There are many different ways in which the body adapts to regular exercise and it is interesting to read about some of those adaptations in slightly more technical language.

B
VBergen
The book was really nice even if it had things that I would not consider at all, like Fat-Loading Diet, or drink alcohol or caffeine (not even "in moderation" like the authors say is good).

It has few mistakes like "those shaded green (...) those shaded red..." when the book is not in colors.

It misses images and/or pictures to describe exercises proposed.

Nice quotes:
- "Factors such as the feeling of accomplishment that comes with progressing through a workout and the pleasure of running in a bea
Keith Kendall
Oct 31, 2012 Keith Kendall rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious runners
Shelves: running
The best review I have read on the phenomena of severe overtraining is in the last chapter of the 2009 book: The Runner's Body by Ross Tucker, Ph.D, and Jonathan Dugas, Ph.D.. The section is "Intolerance to Endurance Exercise: A Common Path or a Rare Pathology?" And before that "When Adaptation Fails: Premature Aging or a More Serious Condition", and before that "Too Much of a Good Thing? Can Long-Term Running Cause Long-Term Damage?" The way they presented it was enough to scare me. Then I got ...more
Stephen
The authors are great writers and do a good job of bringing it down to a level that is easy to understand. The lack of references to the literature is disconcerting---I think that is the style of Runner's World. They seem to want to be the authoritative source for all things running, even if it means taking undue credit. Anyway, I like this book because it gives practical advice about important issues related to running and attempts to back it up with science or at least logic.
Julie
Very informative for me as a new runner. I appreciated the survey of various scientific studies and discussion of possible interpretations. I also appreciated the insights into why some research has been funded or publicized more than others. Though this might be more of a reference book for some, I was able to read straight through from cover to cover and stay interested. My favorite section was on the Joy of Running!
John
This book collects the latest in running science. It's a nice change from books that continue to spout information that's 15-20 years old. It's also nice to read a running book that doesn't have a training schedule recipe in the back. If you want to learn how to train to run fast, this is a solid book. I feel like most of the book is worth quoting, so I won't quote any. Read it!
Jake Jeffries
This book does a great job of explaining the inner-workings of the human body whilst running. It does suffer in parts due to the technical nature of the material but overall this does not impact what can be taken away from it. It is one of the better books on running I have read and will eventually purchase a permanent copy to add to my book collection.
Daniel
I loved all the science and myth busting. Well written indeed. But, i realized i've read most of that stuff on Ross blog (i know, its not his fault it took me 5 yrs to buy the book), and i was shocked to reach the end of the book at 78%| and everything else is bibliography. But surely I'll have to check training capters again for more insignts
Julie Feher
I found it to be essential reading for anyone who runs. It gives easy-to-understand explanations for the processes that control the body during running from the cellular to the systemic and also the psychological.

I especially liked the nutritional rating system the authors recommend to track your diet. Very useful.

Melyni
It's a really great informative book. The only reason I gave it three stars is because I skimmed through some but read most of it. It definitely answered questions I had about running and also learned a lot. Definitely a must read if you are an intermediate runner that's looking to up their performance.
Joe
This is an awesome book to better understand the physiological adaptations that occur when you run. It's written in a way that you don't have to be a doctor or a scientist to fully understand it. I heavily recommend it for anyone serious about running or serious about getting better at running.
Ally
Really great read. I learned so much about the physiological aspects of proper running and a better technique that improved my pace & seems to have lessened some hip & joint pain. It's definitely not a fun beach read, but for serious runners i'd say this is essential.
Paco Gorina
A must Read book if you are interested in your own physiology and running.

Many running books are religious with the authors beliefs. This one presents the actual knowledge and shows you when evidence is not determinant.

Emily
Tons of good information. I wish they'd included citation information for the actual studies they were drawing information from, but even without that it was well worth reading and I learned a lot.
Melanie
I didn't get to finish but what I read was helpful. If you'd like an intellectual understanding of the physiology behind running, pick this one up.
Dwane Brown
Excellent book for those who really want to understand how their bodies work and unlock the mysteries of training, eating and recovery.
Frances Krumholtz
Completely awful writing and editing but generally good overview of biological and training mechanics.
Eric
Went beyond my understanding with its scientific explanations at times but still interesting and useful
cory
it "literally" seems like this, but the evidence isn't yet conclusive and so it might be that.
Tiare
Super detailed information on the physiology that goes into running/exercising.
Martin
Zajimave tipy, ale prilis dlouhe. Ke konci jsem se uz nudil.
An okay book, has some new and interesting things.
Valia
OK, but far more simplistic than I expected.
Synful
Aug 14, 2011 Synful is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational reading..?
Joseph Siefers
Joseph Siefers marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
  • Running Anatomy
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • Lore of Running
  • Why We Run: A Natural History
  • The Complete Book Of Running For Women
  • Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and Half-Marathon Training: Winning Strategies, Inpiring Stories, and the Ultimate Training Tools
  • The Reasoned Schemer
  • The Lure of Long Distances
  • The Extra Mile: One Woman's Personal Journey to Ultra-Running Greatness
  • Pearls of Functional Algorithm Design
  • Advanced Marathoning
  • Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • The Cyclist's Training Bible
  • Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance