Start by marking “Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms” as Want to Read:
Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms

Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms is the perfect companion to your theological studies. Among its three hundred-plus definitions are English terms, from accommodation to wrath of God; foreign terms, from a posteriori to via media; theological movements and traditions; from the Alexandrian School to Wesleyanism; and theologians, from Anselm of Canterbury to Ulrich ...more
Published May 26th 1999 by IVP Academic (first published March 31st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms

Daniel Bastian
Sep 10, 2015 Daniel Bastian rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Gatekeeping in Dictionary Form

A decent reference if you're looking for an alphabetized listing of common theological parlance. Not so good if you're looking for one not colored by denominational agenda. IVP’s Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms is exactly as the title suggests, but unfortunately its use as an educational tool is compromised by a pervasive gatekeeping mentality common in evangelical circles.

And then I came across this nacre of doctrinaire clumsiness:

atheism. A system of belief
Michael
Jan 12, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
A helpful short reference booklet that is a great resource for novice and scholar alike. It is part of a series published by IVP Academic. After perusing it I decided to work on a similar idea: a "Pocket Dictionary of Ellen G. White" and came up with 350 entries based upon my work in the nine volumes of "Testimonies for the Church." My friend, Jud Lake, has agreed to co-author the volume and we hope to have it done later this year. Some times perusing books can lead to other great ideas: just li ...more
Jane Riebe-Tritten
Apr 11, 2016 Jane Riebe-Tritten rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, own
This was a good reference book. Although I would have liked more words included in this dictionary; for I still need to purchase another dictionary for further edification.
Jason
May 28, 2009 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
This is a great resource for anyone who wants to learn the basic terms for theological discussions.

Just a reference.

I had to basically read it from start to finish for my Christian Theology 2 class at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary so let me warn you, it gets quite boring when you start to actually read it.

Why would they make us read it when it is a dictionary anyways?
Brett
Feb 18, 2008 Brett rated it liked it
This is a helpful little book to keep in your bag for those times when you hear a phrase, term, name, movement etc... that you may not have heard before or are not familiar with. It is by no means exaustive or very thorough, but it give you enough to grasp the idea and stay with the sermon, lecture, or even talkative friend.
Osvaldo
Aug 28, 2012 Osvaldo rated it it was amazing
Nice little dictionary to read up on some common theological terms. Probably not meant to be read cover to cover as I did, but whether as a reference tool or a crash course in terms, it's an excellent dictionary for clarity and conciseness.
Eric
Oct 11, 2011 Eric rated it liked it
I read this. I forget what I thought about it because it was so long ago. It apparently didn't change my life. I hope that helps.
Susannah
May 08, 2008 Susannah rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome reference. I've got extra copies if anyone wants one. It's small and super-handy.
Jeannine
Mar 03, 2016 Jeannine rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
Simple intro level explanations.. again I have nothing to contrast this with.
Tyler
May 10, 2012 Tyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Handy little book, easy to understand definitions.
Brent
Aug 02, 2014 Brent rated it it was amazing
Good definitions. Nice plot.
Stephen Frantz
Stephen Frantz rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Deb H
Deb H added it
Jun 05, 2016
Diana Hayes
Diana Hayes marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Loren & Rachel
Loren & Rachel marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Brady
Brady rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Kenny Baker
Kenny Baker marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Bryan Kane
Bryan Kane marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Michael Demarois
Michael Demarois rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Cassaundra Shaw
Cassaundra Shaw marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Pauline Rose
Pauline Rose rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Dave Nannery
Dave Nannery marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Kate Kempf
Kate Kempf rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Tyler Ulrich
Tyler Ulrich rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
  • Bible Doctrine: Essential Teachings of the Christian Faith
  • Incarnation: The Person and Life of Christ
  • Genesis
  • Peacemaking for Families
  • The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23
  • The Gospel according to John
  • Pierced for Our Transgressions: Rediscovering the Glory of Penal Substitution
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • New Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Exploring the Unity Diversity of Scripture
  • Hebrews (The NIV Application Commentary)
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
  • The Christian Theology Reader
  • The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era: Exploring the Background & Early Christianity
  • The Letter of James
Stanley James Grenz was born in Alpena, Michigan on January 7, 1950. He was the youngest of three children born to Richard and Clara Grenz, a brother to Lyle and Jan. His dad was a Baptist pastor for 30 years before he passed away in 1971. Growing up as a “pastor’s kid” meant that he moved several times in his life, from Michigan, to South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana and Colorado.

After high scho
More about Stanley J. Grenz...

“of "entire *sanctification," that is, that a Christian's life of purity takes place in two stages: through initial sanctification at *conversion and through a second event of sanctification later in the Christian's life (often called "the second blessing" or "entire sanctification") during which the Christian is freed from the bonds of the sinful nature, even though the believer continues to live in an imperfect body and an imperfect world.” 0 likes