Start by marking “Sunset of the Sabertooth” as Want to Read:
Sunset of the Sabertooth

Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House #7)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  5,793 ratings  ·  173 reviews
Jack and Annie are whisked all the way back to the Ice Age in this compelling Magic Tree House time-travel adventure where they meet woolly mammoths, cave people...and fierce sabertooth tigers! From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published June 15th 2010 by Random House Children's Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Sunset of the Sabertooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunset of the Sabertooth

Patricia
Simon
This book made me cold. The icy description of the landscapes and the howls of the wind blowing through made it very chilly. Not to even mention the fact that Jack and Annie were wearing their wet bathing suits, talk about cold!

Jack kept mentioning the possibility of freezing to death if they didn't find warmer clothes, and as a kid you roll that off as an expression. But reading this as an older, more logical thinker, I began to realize how dangerous and awesome these magical adventures were.
Rosa Cline
This is seventh in the series of books the Magic Tree House. Although it is a chapter book my son and I sat and read it for about 30 minutes or so. Very interesting, keeping our attention. Just enough 'Science' to keep it educational but yet enough imagination in it to keep it fun too. Looking forward to reading some more.

This was wasn't disappointing after enjoying the first one as much as we did. Each book apparently will have a 'guide' to the two children in the book but to the reader-listene
Tomoya Sugiyama
-MAGIC TREE HOUSE serious, RANDOM HOUSE, RL2.2
-Oct 23rd=65min.
-7words
sibling,warp,snow-land,sorcerer,mammoth,born,flute
-question
1.Which do you like, too cold or too hot? Why?
A.I don't like both of them, but espercialy, I hate too cold, because, I can't bear without a heating.

2.Have you ever played the flute? (Yes)When did you do it? (No)Do you want to try it?
A.Yes, I have. However, when I was a elementary school student, I played the flute, so I don't remember in detail about it.

I did't understa
Heather
My generic review for the Magic Tree House books -

We've loved them all so far. They are fun, easy to read and contain quite a bit of historical information. We use them as read-alouds, but most elementary/middle school kids could read them on their own.

It does have a touch of 'girl power' at the expense of making the brother seem a little dumb. That kinda bugs. But it's not obvious and my boys haven't noticed. They think Jack is just as cool as his sister.
Stephanie Sykes
This was a good book. I recommend this book to elementary kids and for all genders. This book isn't a chick-flick and is an easy read. There were two kids in this book, their names were Jack and Annie. Their tree house was a magic tree house. The tree house took them back to the Ice Ages. They had to find something that started with a “M”. The thing they found that started with a “M” was mammoth.
Norberto Leyva
“Sunset of the Sabertooth” is about Jack and Annie who go on their most wild adventure when the magic tree house sends them back to the Ice Age. They have to find something with the letter “M.” It ends up being a mammoth that they find. I recommend this book to elementary or middle school because of the adventures Jack and Annie experience.
Kirei
This is a little like Clan of The Cave Bear for little kids. LOL Jack and Annie go back in time to the Ice Age and see Cro-Magnons, animals, and cave paintings.

One thing I didn't like is that Jack and Annie ride on the back of a mammoth. I don't think that was possible??? Maybe it was magic....Whoooooo!
Samantha
Such a great adventure! This time, we head back to prehistoric times where we meet Cro-Magnon people, a Sabertooth Tiger and even a Wooly mammoth. Brr!!! Don't forget to put your reindeer skin on! Definitely not a swimsuit adventure ; )
Nolan Young
When I read this book it was like it took me to a whole new world. And trust me if you read this you will stare at it non stop. You will stare at it every second of every minot of four-hours.
Joanie
Book #7 was a big hit. My oldest has really been enjoying these especially now as Jack and Annie are trying to find the items needed to free Morgan from an evil curse.
Rick Silva
I am reading this series out loud to the Kiddo in essentially random order (well, the order in which he comes home from the school library with them). So this is in the second four-book story arc. Treehouse librarian/enchantress Morgan Le Fey is under a spell, and Pennsylvania kids Jack and Annie are collecting a series of "M" items to break the spell, with the help of a mouse named peanut. In the tradition of such great characters as Groot and Hodor, Peanut's entire language consists of the wor ...more
Jill
Jan 17, 2011 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little kids who are just starting to read chapter books... haha!
I estimated that it would take me 30 minutes to read this... that was a bit generous. I think it took me thirty minutes to clean the whole bathroom AND read this, haha! But it is written for a 7-year-old so perhaps that is why.

My sister-in-law, who is a big garage-saler, picked up about 10 of these Magic Tree House books for my classroom. I haven't read any of them, but I figured I might have some extra time in third grade this week, so I pre-read this bad boy. It is about the Ice Age so I thoug
Logan
Sigh. Can I just say that as a parent, I loathe these books? I mean really. I kept hearing about how great they were and I found a bunch at Goodwill, so I bought them. But after reading about 3 of them aloud, I started hiding the rest so that Logan can read them by himself when he learns to read because I can't read any more myself without inserting derogatory comment. Yes, they do spoonfeed a smattering of historical detail, but for me, it's not enough to have to wade through the repetitive dia ...more
Amanda Carpenter
As I always say, my 8 year old niece brought me the first 2 of these books to read. She loves them and she wanted me to read them too so we can talk about them. I find them fun and informative for kids about different time periods and different things around the world.

I decided on book 5 to start reading them aloud for my dogs enjoyment too. (I know, you may think I am crazy - but they like them. Well one gets rather scared sometimes, but the other loves to listen). Surprisingly enough the nerv
If you haven’t heard of this incredible book series, then welcome! The Magic Tree House Books follow big brother Jack and younger sister Annie on some wild adventures. Each book takes them to a new place and time, from ancient Egypt to the Knights of the Round Table. Children learn about these place and are introduced to history and geography as well as excitement.

I started reading these chapter books at night to my kindergardener, who is hooked! We just read this week Sunset of the Sabertooth,
Maya Orama
This book is About a brother and sister named Jack and Annie. Morgan gave them a mission to go to Antarctica. they supposed to get a mammoth hair so they can finish their mission so they can go home. when they get out the tree house they were cold.

They found a cave and found thick cloths made out of gazelle skin. they were really warm now. when they were walking they fell in to a hole then a legend came that was half human, half owl, half gazelle, and half mammoth.then a wolf howl came from the
Elisabeth Hurley
Ok, the writing could be a lot stronger, and for my own entertainment it would probably rate a 2, but it is a clever idea, my 5yo son loved it, and it gave us the opportunity to read the companion "fact tracker" which was actually really interesting for both of us. We've listened to a collection of Magic Treehouse stories in an audiobook before, but this is the first book that we've sat down and read ourselves. Because of the writing and formulaic nature of the stories I can imagine I'll get sic ...more
Mindy
From back cover..."The Ice Age is very cool...for two kids in bathing suits! Jack and Annie nearly freeze when the Magic Tree House whisks them back to the time of cave people and woolly mammoths. But nothing can stop them from having another wild adventure-not even a saber-toothed tiger!"

Another fun addition to the Magic Tree House series! My children and I loves reading about the Ice Age and learning some fun facts about it! We especially enjoyed learning about all the neat things the Cro-Magn
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
This was book seven of the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne.

Jack and his little sister Annie head back to the treehouse. They see an open book and know thats the book that will take them on their next adventure. Before Jack can stop her Annie makes the wish. They are unprepared! The book is about the Ice Age and they are wearing bathing suits.
Once they arrive they find a cave in hopes of finding warmth and clothing. Instead they are in a cave of a great cave bear!

I read this book wit
Twyla
Mary
Jack and Annie are coming back from their swimming lesson and go into the woods and to the treehouse. They are guided to the time of sabertooth tigers. While they are there they stumble into a few caves. In one cave, they come close to a bear. The next cave, they find some coats made of reindeer skins. They borrow the coats and then when they are running from a sabertooth tiger while looking for the mouse (called Peanut) they fall into a trap. The man dressed in skins help them out of the trap a ...more
Moe
-RANDOM HOUSE,MAGIC TREE HOUSE,level 2.2
-Time:10/12=30minutes,10/14=40minutes
-7word sammury:tree house-snow-cold-cave-picture-sorcerer-mammoth
-Discussion question
1.In this story,charactoes are in the Ice age.Which season do you like the best?Why?
-I like spring the best because it's comfortable climate and also I can see cherry blossoms in Japan!Cherry blossoms are the most favorite flower for me.
2.If you can go to the Ice age,what do you want to do?
-I want to see a frozen lakes and I want to ska
Yuina Kawase
DATE:Nov 13,2012
TIME:85 minutes
Random House MAGIC TREE HOUSE

7-word summary
sunset, magic, tree house, snow, cave, Ice Age, mammoth

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
Q1 Jack and Annie went to the Ice Age. If you can go to a special place, such as other countries and universe, where do you want to go?
A I want to go to the North Pole and see an aurora. It's because we can never see the aurora even if it is winter in Japan.

Q2 Jack and Annie went to a cold place. Which place do you like colder or warmer? why?
A I lik
Miyu
1. Random House, Level?(RL:2.2)
2. 87 minutes
3. Ice age, Cro-Magnons, flute, reindeer-skin, sabertooth, trap, mammoth
4. Do you think the human beings existed in the Ice age?
-Yes, I think that the people like Cro-Magnons lived by hunting something.
5. This book is the 6th story of magic tree house. When characters are trapped, I wondered what happened next. I thought they are caught by Cro-Magnons and meet danger. I do not know why the sound of flute make sabertooth freeze, but flute is important t
Becky
Jack and Annie take another fear-filled trip with Peanut the mouse. This time, they end-up in the prehistoric ice-age and come face-to-face with a saber-tooth tiger! They fall into a pit dug by cro-magnun people and only manage to get out with the help of a sorcerer wearing an owl-mask and a wooly mammoth. The sorcerer disappears soon-after, but the mammoth sticks around to escort them back to their time-traveling treehouse. Once again, clever thinking, the book that Jack carries in his backpack ...more
Lynn
Read this to my son, and he thought it was amazing. He loved hearing about the sabertooth tiger and Jack & Annie's adventure in the Ice Age. I found it to be a very pleasant book to read out loud to him. It was a very good length for a morning or afternoon read. As a bedtime book, you can read as many chapters as you feel comfortable. This particular book has 10 chapters and a total of 68 pages. This book does include some illustrations in the chapters. If you have a new reader or are just b ...more
Laura Talley
Nicole
Miles is now fully into this series, wanting to buy them all from our used book store. We're reading out of order, but it doesn't matter.

This is a fun series about a brother & sister who discover a magic tree house in the woods near their home. Inside the tree house are hundreds of books. When they look at a book, it literally takes them on fantastic journeys around the world and through time. Their adventures are missions for Morgan le Fay, the Magical Librarian of Camelot.

Great for read a
luhvBOOKS
Title: Sunset of the Sabertooth

Author: Mary Pope Osborne

Series: Magic Tree House #7

Rating: ★★★

Summary: The Ice Age is very cool... for two kids in bathing suits! Jack and Annie nearly freeze when the Magic Tree House whisks them back to the time of cave people and woolly mammoths. But nothing can stop them from having another wild adventure — not even a saber-toothed tiger!

Review: Very suspenseful.

Things I Loved: Nearly being stepped on by wooly mammoths and eaten by sabertooth tigers.

Things I H
  • Mummies and Pyramids (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #3)
  • The School Skeleton (A to Z Mysteries, #19)
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Space Explorers (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #4)
  • Junie B., First Grader: Boo...and I Mean It! (Junie B. Jones, #24)
  • Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)
  • Class Trip to the Cave of Doom (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #3)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)