Start by marking “Yoko's Show-and-Tell” as Want to Read:
Yoko's Show-and-Tell

Yoko's Show-and-Tell (Yoko)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  20 reviews

When Yoko's grandparents send her a beautiful antique doll named Miki all the way from Japan, Yoko couldn't be happier. She places Miki on her red carpet and brings her candy until Girls' Festival on March 3. Even though Mama said no, Yoko decides to sneak Miki to school for show-and-tell. How could she have guessed that Miki would be in accident along the way? Looks like...more
Published February 22nd 2011 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Yoko's Show-and-Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoko's Show-and-Tell

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultSkippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Picture Books about Cats
224th out of 321 books — 151 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeRuth and the Green Book by Calvin Alexander RamseyEverywhere Babies by Susan Meyers
Multicultural Children's Lit
185th out of 305 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Eva Leger
While I could swear that we've read a Yoko book before it appears that I have none listed and couldn't find any that I recognized. Even this, we've read a handful of Wells' other books in the past few years and this is one of the better ones IMO.
I really enjoyed the little info included on Boys' and Girls' Days in Japan and Julia, who recognizes numerous German holidays and traditions is always interested in this type of thing also.
The little doll that Yoko receives from her Grandparents is prec...more
Sarah Sammis
Yoko's Show and Tell by Rosemary Wells is about a show and tell gone wrong. It also introduces children to Girl's Day, Japanese culture and doll hospitals.

A few weeks before Girl's Day, Yoko received a package from her grandparents. It is her great-grandmother's Girl's Day doll, Miki. It's been in the family for generations and now it's Yuko's.

The young cat desperately wants to share it at show and tell but her mother says No. Yuko doesn't listen and the doll ends up broken on the bus floor beca...more
Shannon
My 6 year old didn't like this one as much. Probably because Yoko makes a big mistake and she's been doing lots of those lately, so the feeling of this kind of embarassment is just too visceral for her.
Tam
Before the book begins, it explained that March 3 in Japan is Girls' Day (Hina Matsuri), the Doll Festival. Parents display hina dolls in their homes to wish their daughters good health and happiness. May 5 is Boys' Day (Tango no Sekku). This day parents fly or hang carp kites, a symbol of courage and strength, to celebrate their sons.

This book gave me the opportunity to talk to my children about why it's a good idea to listen and obey their parents. I was happy that Yoko eventually told the tr...more
Peacegal
Oh, Yoko!

Mama cat told you not to bring your delicate Japanese doll on the bus. Yet you just couldn't resist the idea of bringing the doll for show and tell, so you sneak her out of the house. While on the bus, two bully French bulldogs play catch with your beautiful doll and break her. Thankfully, wise Mama cat knows just what to do.

As a child, I used to feel jealous when storybook characters did not yell at their disobedient children. Now, I realize that this "patience modeling" is meant for a...more
Olivia Bailey
It tells about Asian culture in Japan, holidays Girl's Day and Boy's Festival. It translate some words in Japanese to English.
Students can compare and contrast the Japanese culture and our culture (calendar, doll clothes).
It teaches the students about the appropriate time and ways to do things, to listen when adults tell you something (its ok to ask why because there is usually a good reason). Also, it teaches the students that no matter what happens, it can be fixed they tell the truth. Adults...more
Kelsey
Age: 3-6 years
Media: watercolor and colored pencils
M.I.T.: Be extra careful with special things.

Yoko's grandparents send her a beautiful heirloom doll. Excited to show everyone else, she brings it to school against the wishes of her mother. Two bullies ruin the doll but the doll is brought to a "doll hospital" (every girl's dream?) and is repaired.

The writing is a little off but the artwork and the theme are right-on.
Sebin
This book tells about the Japanese culture. Yoko the cat receives a doll from her grandparents in Japan and she is so excited to show and tell it to her friends at school. She brings her doll on the bus to school when a student snatches it from her and throws it around the bus and the doll gets ruined and Yoko's day is ruined as well. Her mom brings it to the hospital and her doll is fixed and brand new!
Melissa
Predictable. Kind of an unusual sequence while Yoko visits her doll in the doll hospital; I'm glad not to have to explain to my daughters why their dolls didn't ever get a week long stay in the hospital when they were sick! It's also refreshing to have a child be told straight out, "You made a mistake," instead of having the parent dancing around in some kind of self-esteem-protective frenzy.
Amy
Pretty good book about consequences that stem from poor decisions. There were lots of gasps and "oh nos" from my niece and nephew as we read this one. My niece liked it ok, but my nephew said, "I don't like that one. There was too much not happy in there." What can I say? The boy doesn't like to face bad consequences in real life, and he doesn't like to face them in his storybooks.
Tricia
Yoko doesn't heed her mother's direction to leave an heirloom doll at home rather than take it to school. As a result, the doll is damaged and she learns an important lesson. Yoko is such a sweet character that the reader is whispering "no, Yoko, don't do it!" and aches as the story unfolds. Children will be reassured, as Yoko is, by her mother's unconditional love.
Ted
Apr 04, 2012 Ted rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Passed both the daughter and storytime tests. Daughter wanted me to read it to her everynight, after she made it past the somewhat scary illustration (to a 3-year old). She especially enjoyed the section about the doll hospital & doctor. The 4-5 years olds in storytime seemed engaged by it and liked learning about the kimono.
Ellyn Getts
I like this book because it incorporates culture in a natural way. Japanese culture wasn't the focal point of the plot, but it contributed. It was a feel good book and taught the lesson of cause and effect. The mother tells her not to take the doll to school because it is so fragile. She does anyways, and must face the consequences.
Polly
Sweet book, and one I feel a little connection with, because my mom lived in Japan as a child, so I grew up sometimes celebrating Girls Day and playing with a few of my mother's Japanese childhood toys.
Edna
Mama tells Yoko that she can't take her new doll from her grandparents to show-and-tell at school because the doll is too delicate but, Yoko doesn't listen and she and her doll suffer the consequences.
Heather
37 months - O loves Yoko books and I have to admit I enjoy them too. Who hasn't taken something to school that they shouldn't have and had it either stolen or damaged. We can all relate.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Wells tells the story of a little girl who receives a special doll from her grandmother in Japan. A tie in with Japanese Girl Day is made with the book.
Danie P.
Yoko brings her antique doll to show and tell despite her mother saying no. A cute story about listening to your mom.
Camille
perfect book for a "trip" to japan during my summer reading program
Sara
Sara added it
Sep 21, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Sep 02, 2014
Dhinana Rea
Dhinana Rea marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they...more
More about Rosemary Wells...
Bunny Cakes Noisy Nora Yoko On the Blue Comet Bunny Money