Start by marking “The Evil Within (Possessions, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Evil Within (Possessions, #2)

The Evil Within (Possessions #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  521 ratings  ·  67 reviews
In this sequel to "New York Times" bestselling author Nancy Holder's "Possessions," Lindsay finds out that she, too, is possessed, and must return to creepy Marlwood Academy in order to rid herself of the spirit. Lindsay's afraid of what the spirit is telling her to do?kill Mandy! But the secrets of Marlwood go much deeper than Lindsay thought. Sometimes the girls who seem ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about The Evil Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evil Within

Cynthia (A Blog about Nothing)
The Evil Within starts off right where Possessions ended. Lindsay is back at home for the Holidays and is hoping of never going back to Marlwood. She soon realizes that the spirit of Celia is still inside her and the only way she can think of getting rid of her is by going back to the school.

The Evil Within had me hooked from the very beginning, I couldn't put it down and I found myself with goosebumps several times. Nancy Holder did a great job in describing all the little details and made it s
Olivia (Оља)
While reading this I was constantly thinking about what rating I will give it on goodreads. It started with four, went to three, and I even thought of giving it five stars because of the ending.
The ending. OH MY GOD, THE ENDING. Not all of it, but THE ENDING. AAAAAAAAAAAAH
I was just left with my jaw on the ground, staring into a wall and just thinking how blind I was for something that obvious. Nancy Holder impressed me with this one. Really.
Was I really so blind? I honestly hope that I wasn't
Catherine

Those who read this blog or follow me on twitter will probably know that I am a big Nancy Holder fan, and after reading Possessions - which I was unable to put down while reading, especially towards the end - I was very keen on getting to The Evil Within. What was really great was not just that I was not disappointed, but that Holder had improved on everything - all the little things that I didn't quite like about Possessions, or that I felt could have been handled differently (for the better) w
Arya
The Evil Within A Possessions Novel by Nancy Holder 5 of 5 stars.
To be released June 10, 2010

When Lindsay returns to eerie Marlwood Academy she is haunted by the past, literally. The ghosts of those done wrong in the time when Marlwood was a reformatory for willful girls are breathing down her neck. Those that are very real to her seem just as malevolent as the spirits who haunt them, but when Celia, the girl now possessing Lindsay, tells her what she must do to extricate herself and the others
Kate

The Evil Within follows Lindsay once again as she returns to the dreaded Marlwood Academy. Since I had recently finished the first novel in this series, I found it really easy to get back into the flow of Holder's writing. Holder provides a minimal amount of back story, which I found to be refreshing. Personally, I want a little bit of a refresher course when starting a new novel in a series, but do not like to be bogged down by countless amounts of the previous story being retold. And this is e
Monster
The Evil Within is the second book in the Possessions series, of which I have not read the first; however, after completing this one, I’ll be picking up the first book and all that follow it. Nancy Holder has created an incredibly spooky tale full of scorned lovers, murders, attempted murders, ghosts, and of course, possessions. Holder writes a vividly terrifying tale that overflows with ancient superstitions and mythologies that span the globe.

After a brief holiday break, Lindsay has reluctant
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

After defeating the evil at Marlwood Academy, Lindsey finds herself the victim of an unwanted possession by one of the school's ghosts.

Forced to head back to the school to which she swore she'd never return, Lindsey will fight for her life and her sanity. To be victorious, she will need to discover deep, hidden secrets within the school that many want to keep buried - including the evil within.

Can Lindsey save her school, the students, and most of all herse
Cindy
4.5 stars.
i actually thought this was the
first book in the series and altho i found
out by chapter 2 that it wasn't, i was already
hooked. intense, scary and sexy, i really
enjoyed this novel and cannot wait for the
next installment. they say the second novel
in a series is always "slumpy", not so with this
one. and i was not lost starting here wo reading
the first.
Andrea
great book! i couldnt stop reading!
well developed characters!
good plot and story!
recommended to everyone
Natalie
The Evil Within started where Book 1, Possessions, left off. For those of you who've read Possessions, you'll know what I'm talking about when I say that Book 1 ended with one heck of a cliffhanger. As such, I had a lot of unanswered questions. Because of this (and because The Evil Within was the second book in the series), I was able to get into the plot rather quickly, which resolved one of the problems I had with Possessions.

The only issue I could really mention is that I wanted the minor cha
Crystal Books Unbound
I decided to write a mini review of The Evil Within for multiple reasons. 1. Everything that I said about Possessions (the first book in the series), I'm saying about it's sequel. Super scary, amazing, and it was almost impossible for me to sleep at night! If you haven't read my review of Possessions, you can find it here. 2. I can't really say much else without giving away spoilers and I hate to give spoilers. When I read spoilers on other blogs, it deters me from reading the book. 3. If you're ...more
Jodie
If you want a great ghost story, look no further! Nancy Holder has written a nightmare of a tale! Full of hauntings and mystery, you won't know what's coming next, or who to believe.

Second in the series, coming back from Christmas break and picking up where Possessions left off, Lindsay can tell as soon as she walks back into the doors of Marlwood that nobody expected her to show her face there again. Even though she didn't have all the money and material things the other girls did, Lindsay did
thisncondition

After a brief holiday break, Lindsay has reluctantly returned to the creepy Marlwood Academy; a boarding school with a dark past. It doesn’t take long for Lindsay and the
Caroline
I read the first book a little less than two years ago, but I love it and I couldn't wait to read book two. The first book was the perfect read for Halloween. It was super creepy, it was set in a boarding school, which is something I love, and it had that eerie fall setting that I found to be perfect. However, it's sequel did not exactly have that creep factor that I loved about book one.

Lindsay is much more reluctant to dig into Marlwood's history and go gallivanting about it's abandoned buildi
Brittany
Judy
This was both terrible and wonderful all at the same time. I could not put it down.

I am truly sick of Lindsay in this book. In the last book it felt like she was in the process of growing up, of dealing with mother's death, of standing up for herself against mean girls and getting over the trauma of her experience with Jane/Riley. She was a character I liked and someone who was rational and protective of her friends.

In this book, all of that deteriorated. As Celia's grip on Lindsay tightened,
Alexis
Scary, Great, Addictive!

A greatly paced read, i would recommend this along with the first novel, Possessions. Definitely Worth a look, the description doesn't do the story justice.

The author Nancy Holder has a genuine gift for writing style and pacing. Holder's writing style is simple yet very affective which is rather hard to pull off. It takes a good deal of effort to write in that style, if done wrong it can come across rather messy and lazy.
But you can clearly see she has done wright and h
Brandi Pitts
summary

After Lindsay left Marlwood Academy she thought she could leave it in the past. Yet Marlwood Academy has a horrific history and contains many secrets. The girls at Marlwood are possesed by other Marlwood Academy girls from the past that have unfinished buisness. Lindsay finding out that she is indeed possessed too must return to Marlwood Academy and find how to free herself and the other girls before its too late.

Reactions

Overall I thought that The Evil Within by Nancy Holder was a very
Gmr
Jun 14, 2010 Gmr rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adult and paranormal fans
Recommended to Gmr by: author
Lindsay has finally gotten away from all the crazy that was Marlwood and it's school for girls. It's summer break! No more teachers, no more books, no more ghosties dirty looks....oh, wait a second. Nope that last one is still lingering. It seems that this summer, Lindsay is not making a clean break from all that has been, nor will she escape it for the immediate future. She still carries the ghost of a former patient by the name of Celia and she has unfinished business that requires Lindsay's i ...more
Hihihhi hello
Kristina Karally
The Cliches Evil Within was even worse than Possessions.

I have never read a sequel being so SAME(?) as the first book. Only little details are changed. We have Lindsay not wanting to come back to Marlwood Academy, drooling over Troy, lots of cliched spirit stuff, Mandy being a Mean Girl, lots of parties in the freakiest of places, Lindsay having nightmares, Lindsay running to the lake, Lindsay spending evenings in the old library, Lindsay having a run in with opposing spirits in the end of the b
Skyla
I'd been enjoying the book just as much as the first (though I wanted to bitchslap the odd person the odd time, but such is the case with teen characters--even ones I've written--and I don't hold their choices against them too much 'cause they're kids). Another solid four star read...then a slam-bam ending that bumped it up to 4.5 or 5. Totally adored the final chapters, which had plot/character stuff that hit all the right notes with me.

And while it likely makes me a bad, bad person...I really
Christine
Again - good at keeping interest, not so good at making the characters believable.
I did find Lindsay's spiral into insanity a lot more believable, but as soon as (view spoiler)
Good brain-candy.

I think this second volume in the Possessions series is actually better than the first - the ending was pretty creative, and it gave you a lot more history about the boarding school than the first did.

Boarding school, dark secrets, ghosts, and, of course, death!!! Yes, it all makes for a good, trashy read.

If you enjoyed Pretty Little Liars, this makes a decent follow-up - rich kids doing bad things, haunting secrets, and a mystery. Not bad.

I'll definitely be reading the next in
Rena
Jan
Lindsay had hoped to never see Marlwood Academy again. But she is possessed by the spirit of a girl who died there and she must return to settle the unfinished business. This second book is just as creepy as the first. There is a nice mystery and the usual teenage angst amplified by the constant sense of not knowing who she can trust, even her boyfriend. There is a lovely twist at the end. Can't wait to see what happens.
Shannon
Didn't like this one as much as the first. How someone freshly off a breakdown could survive the wacked out world she was inhabiting on NO sleep and be any sort of functional blows my mind. It seemed she spent a lot of time crying and screaming and acting screwy, but she still seemed to attract friends and boys. Don't get it.
I did enjoy the haunting factor, and the suspense and mystery was intriguing.
Felicia
i found this book in the bargin bin at one of my fav stores, i didnt have high hopes considering the sales price, but i'll give any book with such an interesting cover a try. I was blown away by this book, 2 chapters in and i shut my phone off, I couldn't put this book down, finishing it in just day. I seriously need to pick up the other books in this series, I suggest you do too.
Jasmine Peters
OH MY GOODNESS IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS BOOK FOR SO LING AND NOW IVE FINALLY FOUND IT!!! IM SO HAPPY!!!! I read this book a few years back without realizing it was the second in the series, and about a year ago decided I wanted to continue on with the series. However, I couldn't remember the name. But now I've finally found it and I couldn't be happier!
Darcy
This book is just as creepy as the first one. Most of the book you aren't quite sure what is going on, just like Lindsey. At times you think you finally have figured out just what is going on, but as you read further you are just as confused. Even at the end you really aren't sure what happened and you are going to have to wait for the next book to find out.
  • Spirits of the Noh (The Waking, #2)
  • Nearly Departed (Weirdsville, #1)
  • Paisley Hanover Kisses and Tells
  • Chain Letter: Two Books in One
  • Freaksville (Freaksville, #1)
  • Man Gave Names to All the Animals
  • Mean Spirits / Young Blood (The Mediator, #3-4)
  • Shadow Mirror (Walk, #2)
  • I'm Big!
  • The Death By Bikini Mysteries (Death By Mysteries, #1-3)
  • Indelible (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #2)
  • Hell Week (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #2)
  • The Doomsday Box (Shadow Project, #2)
  • Possessed (Rayne, #1)
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Now You See Me (Gifted, #5)
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • Dogs Don't Do Ballet
Nancy Holder, New York Times Bestselling author of the WICKED Series, has just published CRUSADE - the first book in a new vampire series cowritten with Debbie Viguie. The last book her her Possession series is set to release in March 2011.

Nancy was born in Los Altos, California, and her family settled for a time in Walnut Creek. Her father, who taught at Stanford, joined the navy and the family t
More about Nancy Holder...

Possessions (3 books)
  • Possessions (Possessions, #1)
  • The Screaming Season (Possessions, #3)
Resurrection (Wicked, #5) Wicked 2: Legacy & Spellbound (Wicked, #3-4) Wicked: Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2) Unleashed (Wolf Springs Chronicles, #1) The Rose Bride: A Retelling of "The White Bride and the Black Bride" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)