Start by marking “With Charity Toward None: A Fond Look At Misanthropy” as Want to Read:
With Charity Toward None: A Fond Look At Misanthropy

With Charity Toward None: A Fond Look At Misanthropy

The unreconstructed people-hater offers her piece de resistance: a guided tour of the misanthropic life, and an inspirational handbook for Americans grown tired of goo-goo humanitarianism and sensitivity that never sleeps. The only trouble with this book is that its covers are too close together.--The New York Times.
Published March 15th 1993 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 1992)

To ask other readers questions about With Charity Toward None, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Charity Toward None

M.L.
May 20, 2008 M.L. rated it liked it
Florence King is funny and mean. I like her. She doesn't like me.

I've been reading Florence during an election year and alongside a few articles on the death of conservatism. She has written a column for years for the National Review and has described herself as a "bisexual, conservative, feminist." She's smart. And mean.

I don't know where to go with this review, so I'll just say that the world was better when Florence King was more widely read and the Republicans were the party of "leave me alo
No Remorse
Jan 15, 2011 No Remorse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Misanthropes
This is not your most entertaining book, but covering such a rare subject as misanthropy is what makes it a worthy read. Covering misanthropes of all kinds in different degrees and different time periods in the past, will give you many different paths and people to further study in the subject at hand. Reading the inlays and the back of the book made me think this was about to be a really, really good one, but I found it to be bland and soft for the most part, with your occasional great passages ...more
Amanda Miranda-flores
May 21, 2014 Amanda Miranda-flores rated it really liked it
Hilarious and morbid comic relief. Quite good as a reference point to remember that loving others really is just one the many choices we have.
Roland
Oct 18, 2014 Roland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've probably read this book more than any other book on my list...and I don't even own it! It's not the deepest book you'll read, but it's a fun, entertaining collection of people who hate people.
ehk2
"The misanthrope must either be cold to begin with, or he must turn cold when he finally acknowledges what he has known all along: Sex requires people. There is no greater contradiction than a misanthrope in bed. If he persists in staying there, the primal contradiction will spread like a cancer to his higher brain cells, until nothing he says or thinks will make any sense.

Consistency, thou art a jewel. As with Catholicism, so with misanthropy, the jewel in the crown is celibacy"

Mostly funny an
Cat.
Nov 10, 2013 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, essays, humor
Florence is quite proud of the fact that she doesn't see what's wrong with the misanthropes of the world. She finds them perfectly rational and sensible. People annoy her--no, people never fail to live down to her expectations. She has, in this volume, combed literature and history for her compatriots, including Ambrose Bierce, Gustave Flaubert, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

She's funny, all-too-right about people wearing rose-colored glasses, and painful when she exposes one's own self in her scath
Tim Askin
Jul 16, 2013 Tim Askin rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-the-shelf
I hate to give this four stars, but I feel for the author. I understand and embrace her misanthropy, but some of her tangents are distracting and obnoxious. She spends several chapters defending Nixon and even has a few valid points on the matter, but she defends him as if he is a god.

Further, as an avowed bisexual, she remains a dedicated Republican with no concern for gay rights.

In short: buy it used, don't give the crazy woman a penny.
sarafem
Oct 26, 2008 sarafem rated it liked it
I give this three stars because I like Florence King. She is hilarious and mean. She probably would not like me. I wanted this book to be more interesting. It had a lot of potential to be engaging and keep me riveted but most of it seemed to be about people she didn't really consider to be misanthropes. WELL FUCK THEM, I WANNA HEAR ABOUT WHO IS. My fascinations with Rousseau, Rand, and Bierce are increased after reading this and I'm going to check out more of King's work.
Terri
Jul 22, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing
Misanthropes have often been the most influential personalities that shaped history... and, ironically, usually the most interesting of folks. Miss King does a great job of collecting and telling some of these types' stories through her sharp eyes. Definitely a re-read type of book and one I spent foisting on friends by reading aloud.
Gopakumar
Jul 24, 2008 Gopakumar rated it really liked it
“All that I have accomplished is the result of being alone.”-- Franz Kafka.
How can you hate people? Who else is there to hate?
Brilliant poison tipped prose. All the misanthropes discussed in this book portend or illuminate some contemporary American problem.
David Grasse
Mar 19, 2012 David Grasse rated it it was amazing
I guess I wasn't that surprised that I am endowed with many of traits which Ms. King asserts are inherent to misanthropes through the ages. I was also pleased to be introduced to Fisher Ames, the forgotten Founding Father. Overall, a witty and enjoyable read.
Katherine Shrout
Feb 25, 2010 Katherine Shrout rated it it was ok
I am not a misanthrope. This was not the right book for me. I do think Florence King is funny though.
Ariel Cruz
Jan 16, 2008 Ariel Cruz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who hate babies and people who want to know why some people hate babies.
Shelves: journalism, satire

Razor sharp prose and a genuinely interesting subject. Reading about misanthropes is fun in and of itself, but reading about them from one of our best ones is a treat.
Dave Mills
May 26, 2015 Dave Mills rated it it was amazing
This is Miss King's finest work and that's saying something.
Lisa
Jul 03, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
Misanthropy is underrated. But who cares what they think anyway? King is brilliant.
Joseph Sunde
Feb 24, 2012 Joseph Sunde rated it it was amazing
One of the sharpest, wittiest pieces of nonfiction I've ever read. Hilarious.
Hannah Messler
Oct 15, 2014 Hannah Messler rated it liked it
Regina said this lady is funny but her politics are awful and I can confirm that this is the case.
Dave
Feb 18, 2013 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: rocked-my-world
One word review: brilliant.
Adam
Apr 16, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those of Great Contempt
Shelves: great-stuff
Chicken Soup for the Misanthropic Soul.
Siren
Aug 19, 2016 Siren rated it liked it
The book was laugh out loud funny at times, and dreadfully boring at others. It's an interesting topic, but not the best book. King is way too haughty; I just want to tell her to get over herself.
Hardly
Hardly rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2009
Avis Black
Avis Black rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Pyp900
Pyp900 rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Marc Uterus
Marc Uterus rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
N Klepacki
N Klepacki rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2007
Suzanne Costner
Suzanne Costner rated it really liked it
May 28, 2007
Jeffrey Jennings
Jeffrey Jennings rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
  • Give War a Chance: Eyewitness Accounts of Mankind's Struggle Against Tyranny, Injustice, and Alcohol-Free Beer
  • Social Disease
  • You Are a Miserable Excuse for a Hero!: Book One in the Just Make a Choice! Series
  • Miss New York Has Everything
  • The Prodigal Women
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • The Portable Curmudgeon
  • Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head & Other Drawings
Born in Washington, D.C. in 1936 to a bookish British father and a tomboy American mother, Florence King spent her childhood living with her parents, her maternal grandmother, and her grandmother's maid.

King showed talent in French, but unable to pursue it as a major at American University, she switched to a dual major of history and English. She attended the University of Mississippi for graduat
More about Florence King...