Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)

Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In the futuristic, dystopian city of Dranac, moody teenager Scout Montana is an aspiring vigilante, but her first attempt to beat up a mugger is halted when she's hit in the head with a brick and knocked unconscious. When she awakens, she discovers that she's able to transform into a strange, blue, clawed, superhuman creature! In this new body she becomes the vigilante Sha...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by SLG Publishing (first published July 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shadoweyes, Volume One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadoweyes, Volume One

Luna by Julie Anne PetersI am J by Cris BeamAlmost Perfect by Brian KatcherParrotfish by Ellen WittlingerBeauty Queens by Libba Bray
Booklist for Trans Teens
102nd out of 118 books — 157 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanFables, Vol. 1 by Bill WillinghamThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanY by Brian K. VaughanTransmetropolitan, Vol. 1 by Warren Ellis
Supernatural (Not Superhero) Comics
70th out of 119 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Raina
Wow, this is intense.

Cool.

Intense.

You can read the summary for yourself. And honestly, the plot feels a little thin.

But what Campbell's doing here is way too smokin' for that to matter.

First of all, the drawing is super crazed. His figures are slightly heightened realistic with a twinge of manga influence and a generally accessible (extra cute and/or hot) look.
His backdrops are freaking insane. Of course, that's partly a mechanism of the world this is set in - trashfilled, industrialized, with...more
Valerie
This book caught my attention after clicking on one link after another on goodreads. I can't honestly remember how I got to Shadoweyes and normally I wouldn't give a graphic novel (or is this a comic?) another thought. I've read maybe two or three in my life and they weren't bad so I thought maybe this one would really get me into it-it did not.

Though I did find some aspects of the plot interesting I was confused quite a bit during the beginning and middle. It shifts scenes and points of view a...more
Nnedi
When it comes to drawing women, no one can compare to Ross Campbell. His characters are diverse in body, race, personality, sexuality, etc. He writes these wonderful angsty teens but that's just the first layer.

Look deeper and you see that he's doing soooo much more. He's questioning all these things, dialoguing with them, he's examining the boxes we willingly and unknowingly put ourselves into. And he's playing with the idea of the "superhero".

In Shadoweyes, Ross subtly pushes those boundarie...more
Andrew
I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not a big reader of graphic novels. In fact, this is probably the first comic type book I've read in about two decades.

That said, I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the quality of the storyline here. The protagonist, Scout Montana, lives in a futuristic dystopian society where crime runs rampant and justice is not often quick to be dispensed. In this world, Scout does everything in her power to help the downtrodden. It's after just one of these att...more
Carol
This book is really dark and gritty but somehow beautiful at the same time. It takes place it what seems to be a post-apocalyptic over industrialized future. It is never said outright what is going on in this world this is just the impression I get from the drawings. The drawings are all black and white which I'm normally not a fan of but these were so rich and detailed and the story was so dark that it worked. Looking forward to the next one Shadoweyes Volume 2: Shadoweyes in Love.
Tommy
“I picked this up at my publisher's booth at Comic-Con, liked the artwork, and decided to give it a try. I ended up totally LOVING it from cover to cover. I hardly even read any comics, so this is rare. The characters were so likeable and human, despite the sci-fi setting and mutations. The story has some unexpected and very interesting surprises, most of them regarding character development. I already can't wait for the follow-up, "Shadoweyes In Love."
Matthew
Set in a near-future, almost dystopian world, Scout is a frustrated teenager who one day turns into a strange alien-looking creature with black skin, a gigantic head and superior physical strength. She becomes an avenging hero, protecting the innocent in her city from every criminal element she kind find: muggers, kidnappers, gang fights, etc, etc.

There's a lot to like here as Campbell plays with the well-worn superhero genre. Some really great moments develop when Scout can no longer turn back...more
Arminzerella
Mel
I started reading shadoweyes online at www.shadoweyes.net. But found myself too impatient for the story so went and bought a copy of the graphic novel. It was the most expensive graphic novel I've bought in awhile but totally worth it. I do NOT like superhero comics but I loved this mostly cause it really wasn't a superhero comic. The first scene is Scout and her best friend Kyeesha discussing a potential superhero name. It's just such a wonderful totally realistic scene. Campbell really does a...more
Joy
Scout Montana is a vigilante in the making even before she gets hit in the head with a brick and consequently develops the ability to transform in a pointy blue creature. Needless to say, she takes this as a Sign that she was meant to be a superhero. But when she loses the ability to change back to her human self, she begins to realize that there are some things she's taken for granted.

I really liked the diversity of the cast in this story--there are characters of color, GLBT characters, people...more
Meg
Picture a future dystopia, a world full of people barely surviving. If you had a roof over your head, you were one of the more fortunate ones. Many are homeless, without any means of sustenance.
This is the world of Scout Montana, an African-American teenage girl with asthma. Scout is a do-gooder. She wants to save the world, but she’s only a kid. Until one night she transforms into Shadoweyes, a creature that resembles an adorable looking demon with superhuman abilities. Ok, it sounds like just...more
This graphic novel caught my eye not only for it's stunning art work, but because I'm always on the hunt for African-American sci-fi, which is always in short supply. While the art work lived up to it's promise, I was a little disappointed there wasn't more punch in the storyline. The premise begins well with two teenage Af-Am friends sick of the crime and darkness around them in the city. The pair are part of a local crime watch, but one wants more. It's her apparent desire for more strength to...more
Jocelyn Lee
Diversity done respectfully, comprehensively, in an integrated way... done right. Beautiful art. Nice 20 minutes into the future feel (might be misusing that trope). And addicting story. lkjserj my only complaint is if we're ever going to find out how the transformation happened. Slight curiosity if there'll be arcs, but the pull and tug of daily happenings is nice right now.
Elizabeth
Right, okay, I love this guy. I love Ross Campbell, love Wet Moon, love it. And this is good, really very good. The artwork is gorgeous, the cityscapes, the characters, all of it. But his style is this non-dramatic, anti-climactic, everyday dialogue and goings-on, with no flash, which totally works for Wet Moon. But no for a superhero story. I mean, why would you even write a superhero story if you didn't want something with drama and flash? The story is of a teenage girl in a future city who on...more
Tessa
I really love reading Wet Moon and I was excited to see what Ross Campbell would do with a superhero story. He didn't disappoint me. Shadoweyes is a story that makes the superhero seem vulnerable and human but not in a grandiose or self-pitying way. I mean, Scout does have her moments of wtf-edness concering her transformation, as would any of us, but she generally views the change as an extension of her self so there's not so much of the Spiderman-style where do I fit IN stuff. Except for the l...more
Wally
Great new graphic novel series, featuring a teen girl who fights crime the normal way until she's hit in the head and transforms into a blue-skinned superhero, who still has all the faults and self-doubts of a teen. I loved the artwork for its grittiness and its sweetness. I loved the fact that there's hardly a white person to be seen (maybe in the background sometimes?), and yet it's not about race; it just is. I also loved the characters, especialy Scout and Sparkle; I can hear their voices, a...more
Zandra
Overall, this was pretty good. What I loved the most were Campbell's illustrations. They are simply phenomenal. He is a master of capturing emotions. The story is good. I'm not a huge fan of dystopian fiction, and at times got a little lost while reading this, but the illustrations helped to get me back on track. I would definitely recommend this one and the the 2nd volume, Shadoweyes in Love. I actually can't wait until Shadoweyes Unmasked is published.
Angela
In my personal opinion, this is Ross' best effort to date. Artisticly this is just stunning and I love the entire concept of a teenage girl who happens to turn into a super genderless monsterything with ever expanding calves. I'm also head over heels for Sparkle Park, who is so vulnerable and likable. All of the characters are voiced so realistically that it instantly draws you in.

LOVE IT. Can't wait to read "Shadoweyes In Love"!!!
Dan
I've liked everything recommended in the 3 Chicks Review Comics podcast. That's how I came across Green River Killer, Never Weres, Anya's Ghost, and Friends With Boys, and since they highly recommended Shadoweyes I picked it up as well. The plot seemed intriguing enough, but I simply could not make it past the artwork. The characters looked like a cross between a Precious Moments greeting card and a Bratz doll. Ugly. Gross.
Lauren
I really enjoyed this graphic novel, the content was interesting, the story was intriguing and the characters were amazing. Not to do any spoilers but this text deals with several social issues and oppressed identities in ways I rarely see and I was impressed. Yes, the story was quick, but it seemed kinda par for the course with comics to me, and totally met my expectations. Can't wait to read Vol. 2!
Maria Kramer
Moody teen Scout is a vigilante without much direction until a mysterious accident mutates her into the inhuman Shadoweyes. She takes to the streets and finds out how hard it is to fight for justice.

The characters and art in this book are fantastic. Love, love, love it!

Recommended for fans of:
The Resonator
Ballad of Halo Jones
Kick Ass
Ethan
Awesome weird little indie superhero graphic novel about a girl in the future who can turn into a strange bug warrior. The art style is wonderfully freaky, and the cast has lots of women, people of color, even a trans character (or two?). More inspired than any superhero books coming out of Marvel or DC.
Brandy
Meh. Description says this is dystopian, but there's nothing even slightly dystopian about it. It's set in the future, that's it. No talk of over-reaching governments or anything.

And if this isn't inspired by The Maxx, I don't know what is.
Robin
This was an amazing story. A young girl is transformed into a superhero/vigilante in a messed up futuristic city. You have to read this to believe how good it is!
Jesstme
Striking graphics and an unusual take on the "superhero as alien with super powers" mythos. Inclusion of LGBT themes is handled pretty well.
Rose
Interesting concept, unusual blend of characters; I'd probably read the next book if/when it comes out.
lesleymac
I liked it, but not as much as Wet Moon. Ross Campbell draws some freaky crazy weird people.
Tammy
Beautifully drawn exploration of what it's like to be a teenager.
Keith
Weird and goofy, but I still kind of liked it I think.
Whitney
Not as good as The Abandoned, but I liked it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Glory: The Once and Future Destroyer, Volume 1
  • Finder, Vol. 09: Voice
  • Serenity Rose Volume 1: Working Through the Negativity
  • Awkward and Definition: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag
  • Smut Peddler
  • Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)
  • Last Days of an Immortal
  • A + E 4ever
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Love and Rockets: New Stories #2
  • A Mess of Everything
  • My Brother's Shadow
  • Ivy
  • Princeless, Book One: Save Yourself
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • New, Improved! Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #3)
  • King of Thorn 5 (King of Thorn, #5)
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 1: The Collected Strangers in Paradise
Ross Campbell is a comics artist and writer.

More about Ross Campbell...
Wet Moon, Volume 1: Feeble Wanderings (Wet Moon) Wet Moon, Volume 2: Unseen Feet (Wet Moon) Water Baby Wet Moon Volume 3: Further Realms of Fright (v. 3) Wet Moon Volume 4: Drowned in Evil (Wet Moon #4)