Start by marking “I Want to Be a Mathematician: An Automathography” as Want to Read:
I Want to Be a Mathematician: An Automathography

I Want to Be a Mathematician: An Automathography

From the reviews: "...this is a fascinating addition to recent mathematical culture by one of its makers. The main message i absorbed from it was a set of conditions required for success in mathematics: talent, yes; single-mindedness, almost as obvious; sense of humour, essential when the going gets tough; and love, yes that is the right word - you must love mathematics, a ...more
Published May 17th 1985 by Springer

To ask other readers questions about I Want to Be a Mathematician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Want to Be a Mathematician

Stolee
Dec 17, 2010 Stolee rated it liked it
The story of the professional life of one of the more successful mathematiticans of the mid-1900's. It gives interesting insight to the full career of a mathematician as well as some personality quirks of those Halmos came across. A few gems:

Littlewood's Zero-Infinity Law: If you get a request to referee a paper, decide to do it NOW or to refuse NOW (since you'll never do it). This makes everyone's lives better.

The Moore Method: Teaching by making the students come up with the proofs.

Some of the
Amir
Feb 18, 2008 Amir rated it liked it
This is an unusual book (its declared genre is "automathography"!) by someone who wanted to be a mathematician. I am glad I managed to read this book from cover to cover, although Halmos (for whom I had some admiration in my salad days) proved [no pun] to be irritating every now and then.

I was undecided between giving this book 3 or 4 stars, but I finally opted for 3. Still, it's a book I'd recommend any professional mathematician to read.
Premal Vora
May 16, 2013 Premal Vora rated it really liked it
Give this book to every newly-minted Ph.D. who joins academia as there is a vast amount of wisdom in here on the three cornerstones of an academic career: teaching, research, and service. I wish someone would've given me this book because I had to learn most of what's in here the hard way. There is no mathematics in here. It's the story of an immigrant to the U.S. who accidentally became a mathematician. It follows his career and the colorful mathematics personalities that he encounters. But mor ...more
Amit Sharma
Feb 23, 2017 Amit Sharma rated it really liked it
I ordered this book acting on my impulse but was not disappointed. It turned out to be a good read. Despite being not from mathematical background I think I followed most of the text written by author. The book, as declared in the introduction by the author, is not about how to be a mathematician rather it's a life story of times and trials faced by him and the bittersweet journey it has been to become a mathematician.
Craig Citro
Dec 26, 2016 Craig Citro rated it liked it
If you think you might want to read this, definitely get it. If you're not sure, you'd probably be bored.

This is just as advertised: an automathography, meaning that it's a description of Paul Halmos's life as a mathematician. I loved Halmos, and I think he was much more self-aware than most mathematicians. Two of my favorite quotes (paraphrased):

* I'll be best remembered for an abbreviation (iff) and a notation (the box at the end of a proof), and no one will remember that either of them was du
Jonathan
Mar 15, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Written by a mathematician that proclaims to "like words more than numbers", I Want to Be a Mathematician: An Automathography delivers -- it is a pithy, insightful exposition on what it is to live and experience mathematics. It is a departure from the typical layman idea of mathematical progress as that of lone genius after lone genius, but instead paints the collaborative, artistic and inherently social picture behind all the theorems, lemmas and proofs.

Besides a few detours into real, difficul
Thai Son
Jan 28, 2014 Thai Son rated it really liked it
I have not finished this, I finished the part up until his time at the IAS, and that was already plenty of content to mull over- and very pertinent one at that.

I do not want to comment too much on the mathematics, or different methods and ideas, I do enjoy his detailing his interest with writing and languages. This shows how "democratic" mathematics is, there is a great variety of backgrounds. The implication is inspiring.

Louis
Nov 06, 2015 Louis rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book was engaging and held my interest mostly because I could compare the stories Halmos tells with my own experiences. That said, I suspect that the outsider, the non-practitioner, might find some of it bewildering and much of it boring.
Jamie
Sep 13, 2007 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mathematics
I read this when I was making my big transition from saying "I want to be a physicist," to " I want to be a mathematician." Halmos is a great writer. He gives a really good idea of what it is like to be a mathematician.
Chang
May 24, 2015 Chang rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-read
Read this book in Leicester when I was waiting for my PhD viva.

"Mathematics is a young man's game."
Long Mai
Dec 03, 2010 Long Mai rated it it was amazing
The best book I have ever read about mathematician. It's real, but inspired. I want to be a mathematician after reading this book.
Karatuğ Ozan Bircan
Karatuğ Ozan Bircan rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Drakoulas
Drakoulas rated it did not like it
Sep 24, 2013
Shun
Shun rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2012
Bikshan Chakraborty
Bikshan Chakraborty rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Alberto
Alberto rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2012
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Rami
Rami rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Anusha Lalitha
Anusha Lalitha rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Aboozar
Aboozar rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
・
Mar 21, 2015
Joseph Sales
Joseph Sales rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2011
Majid
Majid rated it really liked it
May 09, 2010
Samsara Counts
Samsara Counts rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Rupesh
Rupesh rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Min
Min rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2017
Flávio
Flávio rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2012
  • Mathematics and Its History
  • Perfect Rigor: A Genius and the Mathematical Breakthrough of the Century
  • My Brain is Open: The Mathematical Journeys of Paul Erdos
  • The Psychology of Invention in the Mathematical Field
  • Letters to a Young Mathematician (Art of Mentoring)
  • Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty