The Almighty Black P Stone Nation: The Rise, Fall, and Resurgence of an American Gang

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In gangster lore, the Almighty Black P Stone Nation stands out among the most notorious street gangs. But how did teens from a poverty–stricken Chicago neighborhood build a powerful organization that united 21 individual gangs into a virtual nation?

Natalie Y. Moore and Lance Williams answer this and other questions in a provocative tale that features a colorful cast of cha...more
Published January 6th 2011 by Chicago Review Press (first published January 1st 2011)

Jack
OK... this book fills a pretty big void. How was there no decent book on the Stones (Blackstone Rangers / El Rukns / Black P Stone Nation)? It gives a fairly accurate account (based on my limited knowledge) of the history and some insight into the main players. HOWEVER- the authors clearly have a bias and my eyes hurt from rolling so much. The authors repeatedly imply that the Stones are a "street organization" with a real commitment to the community. In the end I'm not even sure that the author...more
Chris
An exceedingly well-researched, heartfelt, and even-handed book that was nonetheless a massive chore to read. I wish I could say otherwise, but this was a just-the-facts-ma'am chronology for the benefit of future scholars and researchers. It managed to hit all of the important points in the group's existence without ever giving one the day-to-day experience of being a Stone. It almost felt like certain aspects of the story had been embargoed pending final edit from one or more primary players in...more
Jeremy
So far so good, aside from some blatant errors...the authors claim there was not black gang activity in Chicago prior to the 60's, I call bullshit.

They should have consulted "Explosion of Chicago's Black Street Gangs: 1900 to the Present."

The also make the claim that there are no books on black gangs in Chicago, also incorrect:

Black Gangsters of Chicago
American Project: The Rise and Fall of an American Ghetto
Gang Leader For a Day
A Nation of Lords and there are many more.

These are just a few. Tr...more
Bill
I heard about the El Rukns as a kid when they got arrested for working with Qhaddafi (funny how the man never seems to go away). And somewhere along the way I've heard of the Blackstone Rangers. So, I was curious.

I know nothing about gangs or the history of gangs, but this was an interesting read. The Rangers, in and of themselves, were incredibly contradictory: involved in the Civil Rights movement, becoming devout Muslims, into drugs, racketeering, and murder. You can tell the authors are fair...more
Jess
Fascinating read on the late 20th century South Side. Yes world, gang members are people too. If the system and you don't work well together-- be it work, school, family, church-- you can adapt or fit, exit, or try to change the system from the inside. For the youth of Chicago's south side, they exited the system and created their own. It's human nature.
Ruth
A really thoughtful study of the trajectory of this gang (which has gone through several name permutations), which in its heyday was centered just south of my workplace. I had no idea that for a while its leaders & many members got regular funding for community organizing & other work (War on Poverty & other federal funds administered by a church & nonprofit agency).
Louis
A poorly written book about a fascinating subject. Reads like an 8th grade text-book with elements of pulp novel. Good insight into leadership and history of gangs in Chicago.
Layne
Not the best book ever, but I never knew about El-Rukn and the Libyan connection. Interesting stuff.
Freddy Bedolla
Freddy Bedolla marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Kierre Lias
Kierre Lias marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Tj Savage
Tj Savage marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Dina
Dina is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2014
Austin Craddock
Austin Craddock marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Lov
Lov marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Bjbrwncaramel Campbell
Bjbrwncaramel Campbell marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Will Gray
Will Gray marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Stephanie Palmer
Stephanie Palmer is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2013
Isaac Holloway
Isaac Holloway marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Andrea Moore
Andrea Moore marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Gordon Edwards
Gordon Edwards marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Horace Griffin
Horace Griffin marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Deconstructing Tyrone: A New Look at Black Masculinity in the Hip-Hop Generation