Start by marking “The Science of God” as Want to Read:
The Science of God

The Science of God

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  848 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews

In The Science of God, distinguished physicist and biblical scholar Gerald Schroeder compares key events from the Old Testament with the most current findings of biochemists, paleontologists, and physicists, arguing that the latest science and a close reading of the Bible are not just compatible but interdependent. In the vein of Francis Collins's The Language of God, The

Published June 16th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of God

Wesley Wade
May 21, 2014 Wesley Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start here: I am a Christian. I love science. I do not see how these things do not go together, and why there is so much argument about being content with scientific explanations and simultaneously loving God. If you fall into that boat, or if you are agnostic, atheist, or another religion curious about Christianity, you will enjoy this book. If you are a Christian that cannot stand to read anything about evolution, the Earth being older than 10K years, and... well.. science, then you won ...more
Shayna Abrams
Dec 29, 2011 Shayna Abrams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that actually compares physical science with biblical teachings. I read this a long time ago and have since evolved in my spiritual mentality, but this was the first book that I read on my journey to the place I am now. It enlightened me by speaking to sense of reality as opposed to trying to relay hard to understand (and sometimes accept) spiritual conceptions. Even those that are waivering between belief in a Creator or not will have hard time disputing some of the solid argumen ...more
Jarrod Jenkins
Jun 02, 2009 Jarrod Jenkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
In The Science of God, Gerald Schroeder takes on a tremendously difficult task: he attempts to reconcile his modern scientific knowledge with his traditional religious beliefs. One would be hard pressed to argue he doesn’t know his science considering he earned a B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In an unusual scholarly combination, Schroeder is also well-versed in the Torah and the Jewish religious tradition. He has clearly spent a lifetime studyin ...more
Amy Lynn
Aug 28, 2012 Amy Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not exactly accessible to those blinded to the truths of science. Neither is it accessible to those steeped solely in so-called faith in the unseen. The Science of God is for the thinker with faith enough to understand and believe that science and God are complimentary in nature rather than polar opposite concepts. For anyone seeking truth, this is a must read.
Alicia
Jan 31, 2008 Alicia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I want to say he's a hack, but he is unfortunately simply unable to think outside his sphere of spirituality. His reasoning is circular and some of what he writes contradicts other comments he makes. I am in the process of rebutting this book.
Mark
Aug 17, 2008 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, scientists, religionists, polemiscists, my mother
Recommended to Mark by: my ex-fiancee's father
Schroeder desocnstructs the rift between science and religion, showing how the Bible and current theory compliment each other. Most of the conflict, he suggests, is caused by people from one camp failing to have a clear grasp of what the other camp is saying. For all his talk of leaving behind preconceived notions he makes a few errors, but for the most part his work is sound. Any rational person who thinks religionists are idiots needs to read this book. Any religious person who thinks scientis ...more
Eddie
May 14, 2008 Eddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author takes to task both Christian fundamentalists and secular fundamentalists for their errors in relation to science. A lot of fun but sometimes the quantum physics stuff is over my head.
Scott Shipp
Sep 26, 2012 Scott Shipp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You should read it. Though you may not agree with it (I didn't), it is a worthwhile perspective.
Alvin Franzmeier
I'm a great Schroeder fan. He forces me to take a very, very careful look at the text of the Bible—for him the O.T.

I loved his previous Genesis and the Big Bang. It fascinated me to see this pious Jew and former MIT prof say here, "it is instructive to note that Ussher's and Keppler's calculations of an approximately six-thousand-year-old universe are infintely closer to our current estimate of time since the big bang than was either Aristotle's opinion of that of two thirds of the leading U.S.
Scott Rachui
Jul 01, 2013 Scott Rachui rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I love about this book is that Dr. Schroeder has his Ph.D. from MIT (nuclear physics). I say this because so many in the atheist community like to push the idea that educated people (especially scientists) are atheists and that science leads away from faith. Clearly it does not and Dr. Schroeder proves this.

The Science of God is just one of Dr. Schroder's books (each of which deal with science and theology). This particular book is subtitled 'The convergence of scientific and B
Joseph Gambin
Apr 14, 2014 Joseph Gambin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Schroeder takes on both the religious fundamentalists as well as the scientific ones in this book. He explains that the biblical book if Genesis and science are not giving fundamentally different explanations of the creation of the universe. He criticizes those who think the world is only 6000 years old as well as those who believe that science has disproven the bible.

We'll grounded in both the natural sciences as well as Jewish theology Schroeder provides an easy to read explanation on why mode
Adam Ross
Not at all a good book. Schroeder lets science take the lead over Scripture as he attempts to merge Old Earth Creationism, Six-Day Creationism, and the Big Bang through the theory of relativity. He argues that time is not a constant, so that the six days of creation were six days, but from our perspective, after time increased in speed, as 16 billion years. Some interesting things said, but ultimately his view means that Genesis, the foundation of the Bible, would have been completely misunderst ...more
Mark Polhamus
Mar 28, 2015 Mark Polhamus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an honest, accurate and readily read masterpiece

a stringently honest, scientifically sound work which encourages us to use our minds to evaluate the facts.
Deals unflinchinly with topics often skirted by scientists and theologians.
Zac
Sep 13, 2014 Zac rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the first chapter relating the 7 days of genesis to the big bang had some interesting relationships... after that, a physicist talking genetics and biology? not that is can't be done, but he should've focused on his specialty. it just got goofy after that.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Schroeder is a physicist and student of the Hebrew text. He maintains that if one takes both sides seriously and deeply, there is perfect continuity between the two at foundational levels of each.
Amanda
Oct 15, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: santa-fe-2010
Great book.
Matthew
Aug 29, 2007 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic work that attempts to meld the teachings of the Old Testament of the Bible (and other religious texts) with modern scientific theories. Gerald Schroeder does a great job keeping the reader involved in the process.

The most fascinating part of this book to me was how the author explained how the 6 days of creation as told in the Bible actually matches up almost perfectly with the accepted ages of the universe, the earth, and life upon the earth. By applying Einstein's theory of
Chris Jesse
Sep 25, 2013 Chris Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The curious Christian
Wow! The author undertakes the task of reconciling the beliefs of science and Biblical theology. It might seem impossible, but he succeeds. True, you are going to have to wade through some science that you might have forgotten, but it is so worth it.
Beware, this is not a Christian book in that the author is Jewish. Accordingly, his focus is on the Old Testament. That said, I cannot imagine Jesus not enjoying this book.
Jim Malachowski
It seems to me that the author, well qualified apparently in both science and religious study, used science as justification for his convictions and prejudices. These he explains in a forthright manner to the layperson. However, some explanations come full circle and some do not support his argument. In several (the evolution of pink daisies for example), he runs rapid fire through a series of explanations that pinwheel away from the core of his argument to confuse the reader into accepting his ...more
Keith
Mar 31, 2008 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whatever ;-) This book tries to overlay science onto the book of Genesis. Author says he takes no sides, but using a Christian scripture as a basis says otherwise. It is well written, but unconvincing.
Ned
Apr 15, 2013 Ned rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me believe it would be illogical to be an atheist. The bold nature of the book blew me away. The physics was intriguing.
Chris
Jan 07, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the reason that I no longer believe creationism and evolution are not mutually exclusive.
Jessica
Mar 12, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books about religion and science. Plus I learned so much new science!
Jen
Oct 17, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great food for thought. The Bible and science can co-exist after all.
Mary-Jane
Jan 01, 2011 Mary-Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A very insightful book. I found clear descriptions and overviews of Einstein's breakthroughs in understanding matter, energy, and the universe; paleontology discoveries; age of the universe calculations; quantum mechanics; big bang theory.

Main insight: with an expanding universe, the creation in 6 24 hour days matches the 15 billion years of our universe because we look back at those days as much longer time (relativity of time).

The author challenges some traditional evolution theory, citing t
Mike Harmon
Dec 12, 2014 Mike Harmon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book attempts to explain how modern scientific theory has the potential to blend with the Old Testament Bible. Another reviewer described it best as, "for the thinker with faith enough to understand and believe that science and God are complimentary in nature rather than polar opposite concepts." It is not a book for either Christian or secular fundamentalists who aren't prepared or willing to think.
Frank Peters
Dec 18, 2015 Frank Peters rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book on origins that seeks to find agreement between science and ancient faith. The author is a Jewish Physicist who is evidently heavily influence by the kabbalist authors of about 1000 years ago. He relies heavily on both Nahmanides and Maimonides in his arguments. The idea (which I quite respect) was to ignore any biblical or religious arguments that are even semi-modern. This is to deflect any criticism that the religious arguments were submitting to modern science (e ...more
Jason
Nov 29, 2015 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When data mount ever more convincing arguments against a favored paradigm, all sorts of mental machinations allow us to retain our preconceived notions of reality. If we have spent much of a lifetime attempting to prove the validity of a premise in question, the emotional stakes are high. Cognitive dissonance, humanity’s inherent ability to ignore unpleasant facts, helps us in our struggle to retain the error of our ways (p. 34).”

I could just let the author’s words stand as a cogent argument ag
Manute
Aug 01, 2007 Manute rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I thought that this was great take on the Bible from a scientists point of view. The purpose of the book was try and apply scientific principles to parts of the Bible and also to show that the Bible may have predicted some scientific discoveries. I found it to be original and entertaining.
Don Gubler
Oct 01, 2012 Don Gubler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: improvement
There could be a synergy of science and religion and you might even find some of it here but it is still apologetic in nature rather than cooperative.
  • Darwin on Trial
  • What's So Great About Christianity
  • Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics
  • Belief: Readings on the Reason for Faith
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus
  • The Creator and the Cosmos: How the Greatest Scientific Discoveries of the Century Reveal God
  • The Mind of God: The Scientific Basis for a Rational World
  • The Historical Jesus: Ancient Evidence for the Life of Christ
  • The Privileged Planet: How Our Place in the Cosmos Is Designed for Discovery
  • The Creationists: From Scientific Creationism to Intelligent Design
  • Discovering God: The Origins of the Great Religions and the Evolution of Belief
  • Readings for Meditation and Reflection
  • Finding Darwin's God: A Scientist's Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution
  • God and the New Atheism: A Critical Response to Dawkins, Harris, and Hitchens
  • Not a Chance: God, Science, and the Revolt Against Reason
  • The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul
  • The Design Revolution: Answering the Toughest Questions about Intelligent Design
  • Is God a Moral Monster?: Making Sense of the Old Testament God
19170
Gerald L. Schroeder is a scientist, author, and lecturer, who focuses on what he perceives to be an inherent relationship between science and spirituality.

In 1965, Schroeder received his Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in nuclear physics and earth and planetary sciences. He worked five years on the staff of the MIT physics department. After emigrating to Israel in 1971, he was
More about Gerald Schroeder...