Start by marking “Quilt” as Want to Read:
Quilt

Quilt

2.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Facing the disarray and disorientation around his father’s death, a man contends with the strange and haunting power of the house his parents once lived in. He sets about the mundane yet exhausting process of sorting through the remnants of his father’s life—clearing away years of accumulated objects, unearthing forgotten memories, and the haunted realms of everyday life. ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Myriad Editions (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Quilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quilt

Mark Zieg
Jun 30, 2010 Mark Zieg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love words
Wow, what does one say of this? I've spent two days trying to come up with the words for a proper review that sufficiently reflects the complexity and charm of this slim volume, but I'm afraid my muse has deserted me; or rather, has been humbled into awed silence by the erudite extravagance of Prof. Royle's mesmerizing monograph. That, and I'm still trying to figure out the ending :-)

I suppose Quilt qualifies loosely as a novel, in the sense that it has characters (really just the two), time mor
Oliver
Jun 18, 2014 Oliver rated it it was ok
First of all I'm sure this book doesn't really deserve 2 stars but for me personally i found it just to challenging to read and make sense. There were times when I read 5 pages and had no idea what I was reading, but maybe that was the point? Maybe I was meant to be confused and frustrated like the main character?
It reminded me in parts of Kafkas the castle that same mixture of reality and fantasy.
I think it's a powerful piece of work and the writer attempts at portraying grief and mental illne
Allie Cresswell
Sep 09, 2013 Allie Cresswell rated it really liked it
Quilt is an intriguing and sometimes perplexing story of loss, loneliness and coping. A man loses his father and begins the doleful process of funeral-organisation and house-clearance - the cumbersome outward manifestations of the grieving and coming-to-terms which occupy him within. On the face of it a dreary enough subject for a novel in all conscience, although a very human one to which many of us will all-too-poignantly relate, and yet the fizzing, darting, tangential lexicon of Nicholas Roy ...more
Mark
Nov 01, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
I should probably declare an interest in that a former tutor of mine wrote Quilt. But whereas I knew Nicholas Royle, English lecturer, reasonably well I am left doubting everything following my reading of this short, disturbing yet matter of fact novel about grief. Certain biographical details do tally with an impression I had, but the central motif of the book is a domestic aquarium filled with Rays. Could Nick really have built such a thing? I could almost belief in the truth of it. So Quilt i ...more
June Seghni
Apr 10, 2012 June Seghni rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I didn't quite know how I felt after finishing this short work about a man dealing in his own peculiar way with the death of his father. On the one hand I got a bit fed up with having to look words up in the dictionary..not a usual thing for me, but then once I gave up doing that and just read it as a poetical piece almost, a stream-of-consciousness type affair, really playing with language..I was enthralled by the writing. Hmm ..interesting..
Gerdav
May 25, 2015 Gerdav rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
I was so cross with the ending. The book had a different style from what I'm used to reading and I was enjoying the change - but I felt that the author couldn't be bothered to finish the book so it made me cross that I had bothered to stay with it.
Rachel Louise
Learnt a lot about manta rays.
Angela
Aug 21, 2015 Angela rated it did not like it
Tedious. Had no empathy for any of the characters. The author seemed more concerned about the language in a way that was at the expense of the reader's navigation through the narrative, and engagement with it.
Anna Elliott
Feb 20, 2012 Anna Elliott rated it did not like it
I'm really not sure why I kept going with this right to the end. I kept thinking it would get better and start to make more sense but it just didn't.
Siân
Apr 10, 2012 Siân rated it liked it
It was an odd one, not what I expected but a fascinating read nonetheless.
G E Walton
G E Walton marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
e.k
e.k rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2016
Mrs K Rudduck
Mrs K Rudduck rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2016
Luke Downing
Luke Downing is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
Glenn Miller
Glenn Miller rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Corrie Thompson
Corrie Thompson rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2016
Gary Budden
Gary Budden marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Aliya Whiteley
Aliya Whiteley rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
David Williams
David Williams rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Ophion
Ophion rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Allen Engelhardt
Allen Engelhardt marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 06, 2015
Moro de Oliveira
Moro de Oliveira marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Virginia Appleton
Virginia Appleton rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2015