Start by marking “Small Is The New Big” as Want to Read:
Small Is The New Big

Small Is The New Big

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,467 ratings  ·  111 reviews

Big business used to be a good thing. Big meant economies of scale, lots of resources, and more power. Big meant better.

Then small happened.

Seth Godin, the avant-garde marketer and international bestselling author, explores how small companies with targeted ideas and savvy marketing are turning out to be the next "big" thing.

Audio CD, 465 pages
Published August 17th 2006 by HighBridge Company (first published July 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Small Is The New Big, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Is The New Big

I didn't feel like reading the book anymore at "Egomaniac." I borrowed this book, because it's popular and gives actually really helpful advice about product design. It was very informative in terms of thinking differently to improve or start a business, but I can't stand the way he sounds. Just like how to a like a subject but don't like a professor's personality, each "post" made me think about design differently, but the author's tone and voice just overpowered the ideas. It was to the point ...more
Steve Piacente
Once an artist puts some work up for sale, he or she, like it or not, becomes a small business owner. The time to read Seth Godin’s, “Small is the New Big,” is before taking this momentous step.

The book, though not written specifically for those in the arts or even small business owners, is crammed with riffs, rants, and provocative ideas that are worth contemplating if you’re thinking about transitioning from creating art to creating markets.

Take writers. Many worry about criticism, which bloc
Since I follow Seth Godin's blog, I impulsively picked up his 2006 collection of earlier blog posts the last time I was in the library. Have I mentioned I love Seth? He rants about the same things I rant about and there is nothing more endearing than knowing someone else thinks as you do.

Like all his work, he sparks your creativity. You are free to pick and choose and see what makes sense in your own world.

Loosely alphabeticalized, you can read this book in small or larger (would that be appropr
Small is the New Big is something of an anomaly, as it’s one of the few Seth Godin books which doesn’t focus on a single topic – instead, it’s a collection of the best of the best of his manifold blog posts, and the topics are as varied as the lengths of the posts, some of which are only a paragraph long.

Godin himself warns you not to read this from cover to cover because that’s now how he imagined you reading it, but there’s no reason why you couldn’t if you had a long flight and had nothing be
I'm a big fan of Seth Godin's blog and other online writing, and I've been working on picking up a few of his books. "Small is the New Big" was an exceptionally interesting read — particularly because I enjoy Godin's blog.

The book was page after page of short sections, essentially explaining an idea Godin has about marketing and business. While "Small is the New Big" isn't a textbook, I feel like I came away with an incredible amount of new knowledge.
I started out very skeptical, I’ve read a few books of Godin’s and the last one was a flop. I thought it ironic that this is the thickest of his books that I’ve read, given the title. Creepy babies on the front, what’s not to love? Well I got into it and it was pretty good. I would say it’s well worth the read. He had a post about being open minded about a quarter of the way in and I changed the way I approached the book. Since this is a collection of his blog posts the length makes it super app ...more
Sara Farinha
É oficial! Acabei de ler “Torne-se Pequeno e Pense em Grande!” de Seth Godin, publicado em Portugal pela Editorial Presença, e tal como afirmei anteriormente este é um livro que vale a pena dar atenção.

Reunindo uma série de reflexões sobre temas vários, gerados ao longo de seis anos, todos os artigos são comunicados na perspectiva de um marketeer com uma visão refrescante e suficientemente abrangente das mudanças que acometem a sociedade actual.

Seth Godin é, sem dúvida, uma força a ter em conta
Being a business librarian leads me to read some books that I would never have given a chance. For good reason, often. But it turns out that Mr. Seth Godin has the following going for him: He is a good writer and possesses an interesting mind.

Small is the New Big is a collection of various Godin blog posts so it really isn't meant to be read as a straight-ahead narrative. In fact, Godin contradicts himself several times along the way but his overriding message is this: We live in an age where be
Este livro mexeu comigo e acredito que também possa mexer consigo. Ao contrário de outros livros desta colecção (Sociedade Global), este é um livro sem um tema em concreto mas que tem um objectivo claro: não nos deixar indiferentes.

Este livro é um aglomerado de artigos que Seth Godin, o seu autor, publicou no seu blogue ao longo de anos. Portanto, não tem um fio condutor nem vai falar sobre algo específico mas aborda muitas situações, problemas, acasos do dia-a-dia e recomendações ou soluções "
Henri Hämäläinen
I've read couple of Seth Godin books before and always enjoyed those. This Small Is The New Big got to my bookshelf almost by accident, but knowing the author I couldn't leave it unread. I'm so happy I did read it. Even though the book is bit old already the ideas in it are mainly fresh and valuable.

This book is not a real book actually. It's a collection of best blog posts from Seth. For the weirdest reasons it's in alphabetic order, but it still flows quite nicely forward.

It's hard to say anyt
I don't often read business books, but this one was amazing. Easy to read, with lots of anecdotes.

Here are some great tips/quotes:

Every single article about Google (until recently) included the phrase 'And employees eat lunch in a cafeteria where the food is prepared by a former chef for the Grateful Dead.'...For no good reason. It's a jarring juxtapositions of facts that no one expects but is pretty easy to remember. Oxymorons make it easy to tell stories. (BTW, This is the reason why I want
Krishna Kumar
A collection of Seth's blog postings, there are nuggets of wisdom sprinkled throughout the book. It does not have a coherent structure or focus (in fairness, the author does point that out at the very beginning), but nevertheless is very useful in helping one understand the latest trends as well as the constant principles that must guide a company in providing and marketing goods and services.
April Brown

What ages would I recommend it too? – Fifteen and up.

Length? – Three days read.

Characters? – None.

Setting? – Real World Marketing (Or upper class marketing).

Written approximately? – 2006.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Somewhat unrealistic in start up funds ideas.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Start up funds need to be covered more. A few updates would help, as it is nearly ten years out of date.

Short storyline: Lots of short stories abou
Depois de As Mentiras do Marketing, Seth Godin regressa com um livro que irá motivar todos aqueles que se encontrem envolvidos no mundo dos negócios. Com o objectivo de poder alcançar um público mais variado e porque acredita que basta uma pequena ideia para que todos consigam ser bem sucedidos, Godin escreve de forma acessível e compreensível para todos. Neste livro, o autor reuniu 180 breves reflexões que, ao longo de vários anos, escreveu no seu blogue, em revistas e e-books, sobre diversos t ...more
i guess i'm going through a Seth Godin phase. he's been around forever. i've never read his stuff. until now. wildly motivating. you read one thing and you want to get of the tub and implement it right now. or maybe that's just me. I've also heard him in podcast, and so now when i read his books i hear them in his voice... all the better.
Tidbits and insights from best-selling author Seth Godin

These collected entries that best-selling marketing author Seth Godin gleaned from his blog offer a variety of world-of-work musings, from the reasons benchmarking can boost employee performance to the nature of hard work and the challenge of change. Godin himself warns that this is not a dense, researched report, but a compilation of bright ideas, inspirations and tales from the work of business. His fairly random assortment of observation
This is a collection of brief, yet profound thought starters about business, marketing, and success in the post-industrial economy. Through his constant perceptiveness, he's assembled a wealth of examples that he uses to prod his audience to think differently than they've been trained. The format encourages the reader to pause and consider each "riff" rather than plowing through them in sequence. For me, the overall theme is that, despite the way old corporations and new "channels" dominate our ...more
With their strong focus on helping readers see what could be rather than being blinded by what is, Godin's riffs are valuable even for those who (like me) don't work directly in the business community.
David Bakker
A collection of the most interesting blog posts by Seth Godin. So if you've read the blog vigorously there is no need for the book.
2.5 stars. An engaging read.

I got about halfway through this book (or maybe a little further than that) and I'm not sure why I never finished it. I didn't dislike it at all. In fact, I really enjoyed reading it at the time but I'd just put it down and forgot to come back to it.

Ultimately, when I step back, I'm not convinced any of it is that revolutionary, but the interesting nuggets it provides it can be inspiring. I think Seth Godin actually suggests reading the book by dipping in on occas
Of all the concepts discussed in this book, the one I liked the most was about the over-emphasis on benchmarking. The author talks about how benchmarking puts pressure on us to always improve, which can sometimes derail the natural up and down of the learning process.

Overall: I like most of Seth's other books, however this one wasn't my favorite. I know that the book is supposed to be a compilation of ramblings, but it seemed like a rough draft, just a bunch of Seth's blogs stitched together. T
Joel Gascoigne
Small Is the New Big is a great book. Be sure before you read it though - this is no ordinary book. The book is a compilation of years of Seth Godin's blog posts, which have formed this book of short bursts of business and marketing ideas. The format is A-Z, and each idea is anywhere from less than half a page to a few pages long. This was my first Seth Godin book, and I kind of feel like his other books will be better. Definitely worth reading though, it's a very easy read and really opens your ...more
Bianca Woods
I honestly couldn't finish this... and I rarely give up on a book.

While I agree that Godin accurately outlines many of the problems companies face today, I completely disagree with the idea he espouses many times in this book of noting what companies are doing wrong and then suggesting the solution is to do the complete opposite of it. Sometimes the opposite of a bad business practice is a different, yet equally bad business practice. To consistently propose this "opposites" approach strikes me
Side Gate
This was the first complete book of Seth Godin's that I have read. I have read many of his blog posts and e-books. This book is a series of blog posts that he has previously written and you will probably not find all of them valuable to you at this moment in time. However, it has enough good and interesting information to be considered a valuable read for anyone who has not been reading his blog for a long time and wants to look at, and think about business in a new way. I enjoy being challenged ...more
Whether you're an internet entrepreneur, a New Economy worker, or a creative-type, you'll find something of value in Godin's riffs. Written with a dose of humor, and short enough to be devoured in a trip to the bathroom, these think pieces are just what the doctor ordered to stir things up and give you a new perspective on the business of business.

I have reviewed business books for years and can smell BS a mile away. Godin is one of the few "experts" who really get it. Highly recommended. Buy a
Kathy Nealen
This is one of Seth's older books. He said it took him 8 years (!) to write it. It is a collection of thoughts, much like blogs or some of them microblogs on various topics, arranged in alphabetical order. (I guess because it was as logical an arrangement as possible for such a set of random musings and opinions). You have to get used to the randomness but it is easy to pick up and put down. I noticed that some of his topics are covered later with more detail in his later books - but repetition ...more
Hetile Mabunda
Lots and lots to think about
Richard Stephenson
Seth does a good job of touching on a very wide range of topics, which is both the strength and weakness of this book. I had a few good ideas running through my head while reading this book, which is a very good thing... I just wish it was a bit more cohesive.

No big deal really - it was a fun read and really had me thinking. This is a good thing. This is my first Godin experience and something tells me I should have started with another one of his books prior to this one. Hope it makes sense - t
David McKee
I always enjoy whatever Seth Godin writes. This book is simply a collection of his ideas on anything related to how "businesses" operate and how they might improve what they do. "Business" can mean anything: a self-employed "micropreneur" to large corporations - doesn't matter. I might occasionally disagree with his politics (he rarely goes that direction in his books, anyway), but I always take away something positive from what I read, that I might apply to my own creative work.
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competit ion
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • The Cluetrain Manifesto
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • The Guerrilla Marketing Handbook
  • Your Best Just Got Better: Work Smarter, Think Bigger, Make More
  • The Sticking Point Solution: 9 Ways to Move Your Business from Stagnation to Stunning Growth InTough Economic Times
  • Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action
  • Rules of Thumb: 52 Truths for Winning at Business Without Losing Your Self
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust
More about Seth Godin...

“How dare you settle for less when the world has made it so easy for you to be remarkable?” 57 likes
“How can I create something that critics will criticize?” 0 likes