You Can Lead a Politician to Water, But You Can't Make Him Think: Ten Commandments for Texas Politics

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  13 reviews
And Kinky Said Unto the People: Why the Hell Not?

So the good people of Texas weren't able to get the Kinkster into the Governor's Mansion in 2006. It was a solid race, and he fought the good fight. Getting on the ballot as an independent -- a feat that had not been achieved in over a century -- was a victory in itself. And with ideas like "slots for tots" (legalized gambli...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Simon & Schuster

Katy-Del
It is a rundown of hiscampaign for governor and his thoughts on how Texas could be improved. I really liked some of his Commandments, which were the chapter titles for the book:
1. Remember the Alamo and keep it holy
2. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's mudflaps or, The long-term effects of apathy upo the yellow rose of Texas
3. Never say fuck in front of a C-H-I-L-D
4. Thou shalt fight wussification
5. thou shalt throw the money changers out of the temple or, I can answer that for you, but I...more
Angel
Though I did not find it as good as his other humor books, it is still worth reading. In this book, Kinky looks at his recent run for governor of Texas. The book outlines his plans and platform. It also tells stories of the campaign trail, and it has a lot of humor along the way. It is interesting to see some of his ideas, some of which certainly seem viable. Only reason I did not rate it higher is it did not seem as funny as his previous. However, I still recommend it. Besides, Texas might have...more
Mark
In this small tome, Kinky sums up his 2006 independent campaign for governor of Texas and bestows pearls of wisdom about what we ought to expect from our leaders. A thoroughly enjoyable read as only Kinky can deliver so many zingers and still get his point across. One can't help but think if he had been able to communicate his message this well during his campaign, we might be talking about re-electing him this year.
Measie
Although this book was written a few years ago, the passages about political corruption and frequent mentions of "the people" seem remarkably prescient...could Kinky have foreseen the Occupy Movement? Very funny read. Full disclosure: I voted for Kinky when he ran for Governor.
T Dee
Uproariously hilarious and so frustratingly true about the political system. Funny, funny, and funnier.
Genie
Good ideas of how best to improve the workings of government on state and federal levels.
Marcie
I'd vote for him for president. Love the “Five Mexican Generals Plan” for border control.
Carolin
Funny and I even learned stuff
Tommy
I drank, but did not swallow...
Lowell
Gerald Kinro
Pro wrestler Jessie Ventura did it in Minnesota. Kinky Friedman, mystery/humor writer, now tries to do the same in Texas: be elected governor as an independent. Friedman gives his experiences in battling the powerful incumbent Rick Perry and shares his opinions on Perry, political parties and governance in general.

This is fun stuff or Will Rogers on steroids. While short, it was totally entertaining with one liners and sometimes two or even three. While funny, Friedman opines on the faults of p...more
Darren
Loved this book. A memoir of Kinkys running for the governership of Texas back in 2006. Filled with funny stories and lots of one liners. He seems like a very genuine and smart guy. Anyone who is interested in politics, and hates the standard sleezy politician will love this book.
Al
Al marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Rusty Booth
Rusty Booth marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Angela Light
Angela Light marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Should Kinky Friedman Be "Humanely Euthanized?" 1 2 Jan 11, 2012 10:32AM
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie...more
More about Kinky Friedman...
Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6) Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10) Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1) Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7) Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned