Start by marking “Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate” as Want to Read:
Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate

Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Rising quickly to the top of Predict Oprah's Book Club Pick here on Goodreads Listopia, and winner of Textnovel's Readers Choice Award as a serialized novel, Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate is about Fair O'Nelli, who is a normal girl except for one small fact: she has spent the last nine years of her life living in a cellar with her loyal dog.

She knows
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate

Beth F.
Jan 15, 2009 Beth F. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA fans who dig allegories
Recommended to Beth F. by: Karey Shane
Finished! I’ve never had the opportunity to read a book in manuscript form so this was a fun first for me. The format of the manuscript (a pdf file) made it difficult for me to sit down and commit to the story so I feel like I was reading this one forever, but that was due more to a personal preference for something printable vs. an e-document than anything else. I’d love to re-read this story someday in a traditional book format because it was definitely “one of those stories.”

I also feel like
Sara
Dec 26, 2008 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Karey :)
It was amazing. :)
Though a little hard to read just because it was pdf. I also loved the little bits that reminded me of the Bible and Narnia. :)

We were asked to compare this book and Harry Potter (scale of 1-5, HP being 5), but honestly I haven't read Harry Potter so I don't know how it would compare but I think I'd like this better. Twilight is nothing (compared to). I loved the language that Karey created and 'hoomin' (such a cool word!) and Fair was amazing. I liked how even though she was p
Barb
Feb 07, 2010 Barb rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
From the moment I started to read, I was mesmerized. I was taken in to a brand new world that I was eager to explore - in other words, I couldn't put it down even though I'm trying to plan a wedding ;)

Secret Speakers is not formula story where you can anticipate what happens next. Far from it. I never knew where the story was going and it kept me interested right through to the end. The writing is excellent! Karey paints a vivid picture of this beautiful and sometimes dangerous new world.

I woul
John
Feb 23, 2009 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy, sci-fi & adventure
Move over J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer and make room for a new fantasy and adventure master--K.S.R. Kingworth! Her debut novel will keep you turing pages as you get caught up in the mystical, marvelous adventure that takes place in an amazing universe. It goes without saying that after reading Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate all fantasy and adventure fans will eagerly await more tales from the fertile imagination of Kingworth.
April
Very descriptive. Story keeps moving at a great pace; enough to keep you interested and on the edge of your seat waiting for what will happen next. Characters are well developed, and believeable.
Georgie K
I got to read and rate this book in manuscript form. I am so excited to read the finished copy when it comes out in April!
Mr. Pe Mr. Pe
this book is great i recommend this to everyone
Becky Everhart
First off, I must admit this book is much better than I expected, and this is for several reasons. While this is not a perfect book, as I will explain further on, it is quite good and I am glad I took the time to get through it.

To begin with, I don't really read fantasy, mostly because fantasy books can take themselves a bit too seriously. this book did take itself seriously (as all books should), but it wasn't like this one event would destroy the planet if it did not come to pass. Also, the ma
Cathryn
oh my gosh.. if i could give a book negative stars i would.. at times the story line was mildly interesting. I was turned of the most by the fact that she portrays this book as an interesting original story of love.. really what it was was a rip off of the bible... story of heavens war, right down to the gethsemane scene.. only it was a dog that she compared to christ... it was painful to read at times as it was so insane what she was doing... the idea of secret speakers was very interesting... ...more
melissa1lbr
Sep 28, 2011 melissa1lbr marked it as skimmed-or-did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I didn't put a star rating for this one. I didn't finish reading it, since I ended up skimming the last half. While I really enjoyed the fun fantasy world and some of the characters, I could not get my mind of focus enough on the story to appreciate it. It felt like there was too much going on and the episodes didn't connect very well. Also, I did not particularly like the prologue, because it was just like a list of characteristics of the people and not really a narrative at all. When the story ...more
Cecily
Jill
It was confusing at first, then got a bit interesting. I couldn't put it down, until I got to her version of the "war in heaven." She's very original... (sarcasm) I've tried to read beyond that, but she keeps copying things from lds doctrine, and very uncreatively at that. CS Lewis tales are religious, but it's not obvious, and is very creative. Kingworth unsuccessfully attempts to do the same. Don't waste your time, unless you want to read her version of the pearl of great price. And on her web ...more
Estefani Hernandez
Mockingbird
Holy moly. Get this book when it comes out! I got to be one of the early readers of Secret Speakers and all I can say is it's going to stand the test of time. Children that have yet to be born will be reading Secret Speakers years from now. Then, when they get old, they'll be reading it to their grandchildren. It's that good.

Now a word about Karey Shane / K.S.R. Kingworth: She has got to be the most innovative new author out there when it comes to setting trends in the world of self-publishing.
Sheila
Dec 27, 2008 Sheila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chronicle of Narnia lovers, dog lovers
Secret Speakers is a wonderful fantasy story with a strong moral background. I really enjoyed this book by Goodreads Author K.S.R Kingworth, who may be the new C.S. Lewis. It is the story of a girl named Fair and her loyal dog Sauveren, and I was engrossed and enchanted from beginning to end. If you like books such as the Chronicles of Narnia series, I think you will really enjoy Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate. I look forward to reading any and all other books in this series.
Stan
This is a great book and a must buy! We were happy to award the 2008 Reader's Choice to this book at http://www.textnovel.com. Karey joined our contest a little late, but in the course of only a few weeks, this novel shot to the top of our contest and remained there through the end. That is quite a testament to how reader's feel about this book and the incredible world of Cloven Grave.

You will love this book if you are a fan of C.S. Lewis' Narnia series, of George Macdonald or of Tolkien.
Diane Daniels
Okay, this is one amazing allegory. It's got the war in Heaven, the plan of salvation, Christ's ministry including miracles, the garden of Gethsemane, death and resurrection, pretty much the whole ball of doctrine. She even added a night, a day, and a night of darkness. Brilliant! I wish I'd thought of it myself. CS Lewis has nothing on KSR Kingworth. We need to talk, girl!
Greta
First off, let me give a shout out to my friend Karey of congratulations on all your hard work and effort in writing and publishing this book. Good for you! I enjoyed looking at the religious symbolism throughout the book. Fair is such a like-able protagonist and I was cheering for her and Hale and all their friends along the way. I'm proud of you!
Kathy
I enjoyed this book so much! This book is a little bit of "Wizard of Oz" mixed with a little "Lord of the Rings" and a bit of "Chronicles of Narnia. I enjoyed every second of reading it! It was like being a kid again! I can't wait to visit again. This book is definitely on my reread list!
Tera
What a lovely story. A book you can read with your children and still enjoy reading it yourself. A genre of books I normally don't gravitate towards but after reading this maybe I should give them another try. Thank you KS for your hard work and sharing that with us.
L
I read this in manuscript form thanks to Karey :)
The story is fantasy, but can be enjoyed on so many more levels. Deeper meanings will at times reach out for you as you read it, but it is at the same time an escape into a fantasy story that will; no doubt; rival the greats.
Sheryl
I loved this fantasy. The characters live in my mind. I laughed with them and cried with them. Sometimes I held my breath to see what happened to them. The story has a positive message without being preachy. I am getting ready to read it again.
Erika
Yay, another goodreads first reads win :) This book was pretty amazing: fantasy with substance! I definitely saw parallels to The Wizard of Oz and the Chronicles of Narnia. Plus there was plenty of action to keep the pages turning.
Hilda
I absolutely loved this book. The characters were so engrossing and I loved the concept of good vs. evil, and how the good overcomes the evil :) I can't wait for a sequel to this book!
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
I loved this book! Took me back to my childhood when I would expect fairies and goblins to pop out of trees. Thank you Karey! I can't wait to hold it in my hands so I can hug it!
Sandy
May 23, 2011 Sandy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I'm going to ever win a Goodreads First Reads book again until I review this, so here goes...
Lady
This book suffered from my expectations. I thought the Secret Speakers were going to be a nearly vanished people, part genetic memory, part telepath who carried the secrets of their people; the kind of secrets that alter kingdoms, the kind that rulers want to keep because they are the base of their power. I thought Fair would be a girl close to court but hidden below stairs that you can't keep secrets from and you can't lie to who changes the course of her kingdom by the power of speaking the tr ...more
CScott Morris
Sep 02, 2010 CScott Morris rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to CScott by: the author
I could not finish this book.
I bought a copy when I ran into the author at a local Costco, promoting and selling her book. As I am an aspiring author(with a novel and an agent, shopping for publishers), I could not resist an opportunity to help another struggling author. Talking to her, I found out she self-pubbed her novel. I did not have enough time to chat and find out why she chose the self-pub route, but I am beginning to suspect it is because nobody wanted it.
I only managed to read the pro
Susan
I loved it. I liked how it taught the Plan of Salvation in another way. I thought it surpassed books liked Twilight and Harry Potter. It also made me think of the Wizard of OZ and Pilgrim's Progress. Many positive thoughts to contemplate.

some of my many favorite parts:
128 You are powerful.
You will always have strength given to you
when you need it most.
You come into this life with a bundle of wisdom
that you are supposed to unpack and give away.
If you don’t give it away, it will get heavier and
Brenda
How do we access the 2nd part? 1 3 Feb 12, 2009 01:10PM
  • Progeny (The Children of the White Lions, #1)
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
  • The Mark
  • The Fiddler's Gun (Fin's Revolution, #1)
  • Masks
  • Search for the Lost Kingdom (Eldohr Adventures, #1)
  • Trapped
  • Tree of Life (Tree of Life, #1)
  • Shades of Atlantis (Shades, #1)
  • Seers of Light (Light, #1)
  • The Donna
  • The Lost Boy (The Noricin Chronicles, #1)
  • Jack Cloudie (Jackelian, #5)
  • False Justice: Eight Myths that Convict the Innocent, Revised Edition
  • Moonbeams  (Beams and Light, #1)
  • Constellation Chronicles: The Lost Civilization of Aries
  • Lost in Lexicon: An Adventure in Words and Numbers
  • Erekos
Books have been meaningful to me my entire life. Back in high school, there were books that came at just the right time to help me understand how I fit in the world in a way that made more sense. Because of them I knew I wasn't the only one who felt different, or lived with difficult things, or was faced with hard choices. I've spent twelve long years pulling the story of Secret Speakers out of th ...more
More about Karey (K.S.R. Kingworth) Shane...

“There are many ways to be alone, and some of them are almost divine. There is a feeling that comes from being at peace in such a solitary moment, sensing in a very deep way that the space you occupy is important and fulfills the measure of its creation by simply being” 8 likes
“Your body lets you know what your heart is trying to tell you” 4 likes