Start by marking “The Value in the Valley: A Black Woman's Guide Through Life's Dilemmas” as Want to Read:
The Value in the Valley: A Black Woman's Guide Through Life's Dilemmas

The Value in the Valley: A Black Woman's Guide Through Life's Dilemmas

Is it the job you hate but need in order to pay the rent? Is it that relationship that you gave your all to only to end up with a broken heart...again? Perhaps it's your children, a family member, or a life-long friend doing you in, dragging you down, pushing you to the brink. If you are an honorary member of the Black Woman's Suffering Society, you have probably been told ...more
Published November 7th 1996 by Touchstone (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Value in the Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Value in the Valley

Eden
Aug 25, 2008 Eden added it
This is a book to read and re-read. As a Black woman, I found that many of the issues that are worked on through the pages of this book were familiar to me.
I appreciate Iyanla's spiritual approach to anyone's Higher Power. I have my belief system and other people's differ. It does not make any of us more or less in seach of answers. We each have a right to decide what 'religion' what description of God, fits for us. Mine is Christianity, and this book works for me. It would work for a Muslim wom
Aretha Love
Apr 12, 2011 Aretha Love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book is so extraodinary!! I find myself referring back to it as if it was my personal bible... Reading this book has changed my out look on life and the people Im surounded by... YES! Every women should read this book. It does not matter if your white, black or purple. It really doesn't matter if your single, married, or whatever. You will walk away with tones of valuable information, that will allow you to live a health life.. TEN STARS!!!
Alli
Nov 30, 2008 Alli rated it it was amazing
You don't have to be a black woman to appreciate the wonder of this book. I reference it all the time! Thanks to my friend Tara who originally told me about it.
Andrea
Oct 29, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This book gave me exactly what I needed at the time I needed it. I don't usually review self help books but I was moved by so much of it that I will probably read this again. I'm reminded of When Things Fall Apart, in that it might take time to absorb all the beauty in here. I'd recommend this to any woman, black/white/otherwise, to read this work at least once.
Shelby
Oct 09, 2014 Shelby rated it it was amazing
I was in a state of depression that no one was sure I would recover from after a necessary, but devastating breakup with my drug addict boyfriend. My therapist was not helping but then I found this book. I used a highlighter, I cried, I talked to some of the passages as though the women telling their stories were with me, sharing our hurt and hopes for the future. I came clawing out of my depression because of this book. One of the best I have ever read in my life.
Aleatha
Aug 04, 2012 Aleatha rated it did not like it
horribly written. I couldn't stomach finishing, not my style at all which is unfortunate because I was excited to read it. Maybe someone else will like it, the book certainly had answers and explanations to live's questions however the colloguial style wasn't for me. The sista homegirl-ness of it coupled with the esoteric "divine" explanations, which were just vague ramblings in my opinion, turned me off.
Orishaz
Aug 31, 2010 Orishaz rated it it was amazing
This is a phenomenal book. I recently re-read this book and it was better then when I read it the first time. It is easy to understand and the scenarios are realistic. I love it.
Marilyn Diamond
Mar 15, 2010 Marilyn Diamond rated it it was amazing
Every woman needs to read this book. I am getting around to reading it twice. Because I placed myself in some valleys and I want to get out....I'm outta here!
Jackie
Sep 03, 2008 Jackie rated it it was amazing
In life you go through ups in downs, just like high and low valleys. This book made me cry and laugh. I learned to persevere in life and be strong.
Sherry Grimes-jenkins
May 07, 2010 Sherry Grimes-jenkins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
A must read. It change my view on life and myself.
Aretha Love
Jun 20, 2016 Aretha Love rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this book...
Mykie
Why I read this book:
I’ve been supportive of Iyanla Vanzant’s work for years and she is one of my favorite inspirational people.

Content: 1/1
The book is a guide that documents common life dilemmas and advice on how to deal with the storms or, as Iyanla refers to them, valleys. The book is a hefty documentation of ways to embrace your current situation and to work through the challenges. This is one of the few things I did like about the book and also a big reason I continue to support Iyanla. She
Jasmine Miller
Jul 05, 2009 Jasmine Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
"Amazing"
Katrina
May 18, 2013 Katrina rated it really liked it
I love this book and have been reading it for several years but have not finished it. The reason is that as I read, I get "stuck" in a chapter--usually the chapter discussing the valley I am in. Often, it's the valley of other people's problems! But until I am able to recognize the signs--same situation w/ new faces--I cannot move on. I find the presentation of the material to be very humble and applicable to my life and the journey I am on. Unlike another reviewer, I don't find the information ...more
N. Crosby
May 03, 2015 N. Crosby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-reads
She points out some things that should be onvious, but for many of us are not. Awesome read!
Gina
May 30, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it
This book made a lot of sense, but it was commonsense that is avoided when you are in love.
Live and learn and then get luvs.
Beverlee
Jul 10, 2016 Beverlee rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with wisdom & valuable insight. It took nearly six months for me to finish reading; not because of the material, but because I wasn't ready to receive the information. I definitely agree with anyone who has stated this is a must read. At the core for any of us (especially Black women), we must learn to love self & that can be one of the hardest things to do.
Elaine
Jun 15, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it
Change comes with pain, if you're not willing & ready.. Be Warned. The stories leapt of the page and became my life story, what I was amazed was how strongly synchronized the writings & lessons matched the events that followed. Almost adding truth to the quotes "What you think on grows"
Nicole
Jun 13, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
This book was dxcellent. I have gone back a second time to read and discovered key points in which I did not acknowledge my first time around. I have referred back to certain points from time to time to bring me through my valley at moment in time. Great read.
Naomi
Apr 28, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
Sharing stories of struggle and encouragement to carry on through long sojourns in challenges, through spiritual growth and self-discovery, Vanzant writes in a confidence-boosting, wise friend, easily accessible way.
Karen Bell
Mar 22, 2016 Karen Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To read and re-read. Again and Again. Thank you Iyanla.
Kezia Davis
May 15, 2011 Kezia Davis rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this book. I read it constantly... Whenever I need to be reminded of who I am, my blessings, how to recover from one of my valley's I open up this book. This book is my inspiration!
Katisha Shackelford evans
Dec 23, 2012 Katisha Shackelford evans rated it it was amazing
This is a must read so you can stay on track when you are in the valleys of life. This is a reminder that there's a blessing in every valley. It's up to you to get the lessons and blessings!
Alex
Apr 09, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Iyanla Vanzant is the premier voice in our time.

My go-to book. It helps greatly in the troubles we face in daily life.

Highly recommended.
Jani Akilah
Jun 12, 2008 Jani Akilah rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: all my sistas
Life and Love can be challenging but we must learn from our experiences and everything will workout in duetime once we persevere.
Ayoca
Oct 02, 2008 Ayoca is currently reading it
I am currently reading this novel, but I can't quite get into it as quickly as I have the other novels that I read by her.
Elaine
Sep 14, 2011 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Change comes with pain, if you're not willing & ready.. Be Warned.
Natty
Sep 28, 2011 Natty rated it really liked it
Found this really hard to get into but onceypu do it is a good read
Zafirah Muhammad
Jul 16, 2012 Zafirah Muhammad rated it it was amazing
this book is for every woman. another Iyanla slam dunk
April Fox
Dec 10, 2012 April Fox rated it it was amazing
A must read for any women who has ever felt pain!
  • Annie Allen
  • Blood in My Eye
  • Sacred Woman: A Guide to Healing the Feminine Body, Mind, and Spirit
  • Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class
  • Flight to Canada
  • Coconut
  • The Weary Blues
  • Head Off & Split
  • The End of Blackness: Returning the Souls of Black Folk to Their Rightful Owners
  • Power Reading: The Best, Fastest, Easiest, Most Effective Course on Speedreading and Comprehension Ever Developed: The Fastest, Best, Easiest Course on Speedreading and Comprehension Ever Developed!
  • The Prisoner's Wife: A Memoir
  • Think and Grow Rich: A Black Choice
  • It's No Secret: From NAS to Jay-Z, from Seduction to Scandal, a Hip-Hop Helen of Troy Tells All
  • Homo Thug
  • Sisters in the Wilderness
  • Sisters of the Yam: Black Women and Self-Recovery
  • Live Your Best Life: A Treasury of Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews and Inspiration from O, The Oprah Magazine
  • Homemade Love
In Peace From Broken Pieces New York Times best-selling author Iyanla Vanzant she recounts the last decade of her life and the spiritual lessons learnedfrom the price of success during her meteoric rise as a TV celebrity on Oprah, the Iyanla TV show (produced by Barbara Walters), to the dissolution of her marriage and her daughters 15 months of illness and death on Christmas day. Like a phoenix ri ...more
More about Iyanla Vanzant...

“Their issues are not your issues.” 33 likes