Start by marking “Civil War on Sunday” as Want to Read:
Civil War on Sunday

Civil War on Sunday (Magic Tree House #21)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,545 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews
In the newest Magic Tree House adventure, Jack and Annie are whisked back to the Civil War where they meet Clara Barton and save the life of their very own great-great-great-grand-father. From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published June 15th 2010 by Random House Children's Books (first published May 1st 2000)

Anna
Oct 15, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Starting with this book, Jack and Annie embark on a new series of missions for Morgan le Fay. She tells them that Camelot is in trouble and she needs their help. They must find four special kinds of writing for her library.

1. Something to follow
2. Something to send
3. Something to learn
4. Something to lend

The children travel back in time to the War Between the States, or the Civil War. There they help nurse wounded soldiers and meet Clara Barton, a pioneering nurse who later founded the American
Jhernandez
Jan 22, 2010 Jhernandez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is about jack and anny going to the U.S.A. civil war.It is cool because jack and anny are helping the nurses to heal and give food to other people.It is also cool because jack and anny go through the time.They saved a man live in the war, and they helped alot.
Cathy
It frequently amazes me how much emotion Mary Pope Osborne is able to convey in such few words. This book made me, almost 40 year-old me, cry. Twice. Of course, part of that is imagining how "my" little guy (almost 8) felt when he read it, but only part. Annie's big heart once again leads her and Jack into a situation that older and "wiser" heads would avoid. Jack, while originally somewhat excited to see something having to do with war, soon learns that war isn't a game. He is at first very shy ...more
Michelle
Dec 11, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This story is about the magic tree house. And his book's main characters are two. They are son and daughter one day they found one marvelous tall tree. And when they went into there and said " I wish to go ~~~~~~~" Then the magic tree house sent them in to that place.

And that time they wished to go civil war. In there they helped nurse they gave a foods or drinks to patients. And they met one woman who was delivering patients no matter what the patient's side was. And their most interesting per
Elaine
Aug 26, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Really liked how they encountered many different people who were involved in the Civil war-nurses, soldiers (on both sides), drummer boy, an African American fighting for the union. I think this was the first time my kids heard about the Civil War, and it did a good job of explaining it. I also liked how it taught Jack that war is not a game, and it's not all glorious like how kids like to pretend war is-that there's suffering and sacrifice, and boys/men torn from their families. I also liked th ...more
Christina Koester
Civil War on Sunday by Mary Pope Osborne is in the genre of historical fiction and is of the age group of six to nine year olds. Civil War on Sunday was about Annie and Jack, who were on a mission and had helped in the Civil War. The reason I rated the book the way I did because it was very interesting to learn about the Civil War in a fun kind of way in a younger children's version. The characters in the book were mainly, Annie, Jack, the soldiers, Clara Barton, the nurses, and also a drummer b ...more
Alyssa
Feb 27, 2015 Alyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Civil War on Sunday is the 21st book in the Magic Treehouse series that tells the story of Jack and Annie's mission to find a special writing. Jack and Annie had to find a writing of "Something to follow" in order to help their magical librarian friend, Morgan. The kids use the magic treehouse that appears in the woods to travel back in time. This time, they traveled back to the Civil War where they met Clara Barton and helped injured soldiers in a field hospital.

Mary Pope Osborne does a great
Felicia Fisher
Twin Text Non-fiction entry #1

I paired the book "Civil war on Sunday" with the non-fiction book "The Confederate States of America". I paired these two books together because in the fiction book, Jack and Annie from the Magic Tree House series, travel back to the time of the civil war, and they get to experience what the war was like. They meet a wonderful nurse named Clara Barton, and help take care of the wounded soldiers.

I thought these two books went well together because when children are r
Heather
My generic review for the Magic Tree House books -

We've loved them all so far. They are fun, easy to read and contain quite a bit of historical information. We use them as read-alouds, but most elementary/middle school kids could read them on their own.

It does have a touch of 'girl power' at the expense of making the brother seem a little dumb. That kinda bugs. But it's not obvious and my boys haven't noticed. They think Jack is just as cool as his sister.
Catey Steele
Civil War on Sunday by Mary Pope Osborne is the 21st book in the Magic Treehouse series. This particular book is about two siblings go on adventures back in time. Annie made this decision that she was going to go back and aid the wounded soldiers during the Civil War, and Jack decides to follow. While helping out the soldiers, Jack and Annie find out some very important information about how the mid 1800's were for African-Americans, and more specifically African-American soldiers. Nursing, beca ...more
Kasey
Dec 18, 2014 Kasey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Civil War On Sunday is a fun and interesting read from the Magic Tree House series. This book in particular tells the story of when the two main characters, Annie and Peter, get swept away from the magic tree house and land in the middle of the Civil War. Along the way they meet a famous nurse and help nurse wounded soldiers back to health.
The Magic Tree House series is a fictional series for young readers who are just beginning to read chapter books on their own. This book in particular teach
Lenae Haley
Apr 27, 2016 Lenae Haley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Civil War on Sunday is the 21st book in the Magic Tree House series. In this book Jack and Annie go back in time to the Civil War. When they got there to the Civil War there was a nurse, Clara Barton. They have to learn how to be a nurse and save as many lives as. They have the experience of a lifetime. Read this book to find out if they are successful on their mission.

I thought this book was good. It was good to read another Magic Tree House book.

This book had good information for history in it
Rubi
Jun 02, 2015 Rubi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how Osborne takes this opportunity to show kids that war is not to be glorified, and that there can be good people on both sides. She also writes about the importance of kindness and bravery. It takes guts to do the right thing sometimes.
I learned about drummer boys while reading this. I'd heard of them, but never really knew they're role outside of marching. It was quite fascinating. The extra facts at the end were really cool, too.
I may be an adult but the Magic Tree House series is s
Nolan
Sep 28, 2011 Nolan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome book!!!
Jeffrey
Mar 10, 2011 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam
Nov 08, 2009 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Traveling back in time from the rumbling thunderstorms of present-day Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, to the booming of Civil War cannonballs near Richmond, Virginia, Jack and Annie set out on their 21st Magic Tree House adventure. The mysterious Morgan le Fay, magical librarian of Camelot, the long-ago kingdom of King Arthur, has left the brother and sister a message in their magic tree house, asking for their help saving Camelot. "Please find these four special kinds of writing for my library: Somet ...more
Isabel Orama
Feb 22, 2013 Isabel Orama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a brother and sister named Jack and Annie. This time morgan Le Fay gave them a mission to go to the civil war. When Annie (Jacks little sister) woke up Jack woke up to. It was drizzling outside until Jack and Annie heard a voice. It was their mom. She asked them where they were going and they both told her to go out to play. She told them when it rains hurry inside. They both ran out to the tree house but no one was there. Then Annie saw a note or paper on the wooden floor. An ...more
Bethany
So this time, Jack and Annie visit the magic tree house and open up a book on the Civil War. I now understand that there is, threaded through the books, a story about Morgan LeFay, the magical librarian of Camelot, and Jack & Annie help her in various ways through their time traveling. Now, she needs them to collect different types of writing, and the first time is "Something to follow."

Fortunately, Jack & Annie wind up at a field hospital run by none other than Clara Barton, and one of
Kathleen Konno
Civil War on Sunday gives kids a good basic overview for the Civil War. There are some moments in here that are a little "too good to be true" in terms of coincidences, but that's how it is with most Magic Tree House books! This is more of a tough subject to cover for young children, so the story does a good job of bringing together all kinds of perspectives on the topic. It's a little more somber than the other books, but important because of the subject material.
Sarah Sammis
In Civil War on Sunday, Jack and Annie travel back to the American Civil War to help King Arthur. Camelot is in trouble and he needs four special forms of writing to help save the kingdom. The first one is "something to follow."

While back in time they meet Clara Barton, serve lunch to the soldiers and help in the hospital tent. They learn the harsh truth about the battle field and find their own bravery along the way.

Like Ghost Town at Sundown, there's an element of time travel in Civil War on S
Diane
Jul 03, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a particularly moving story in which Jack and Annie go back to the civil war and discover that it is not as simple as we learn in history class. War is a complicated thing and affects everyone. Even children fought in the war. They are tasked with getting a piece of writing which is to be followed, they receive it right at the beginning but end up staying to help for a while. Afterwards they recognize that they had actually followed the list and then felt it was time to go home.
Jerome
Mar 12, 2015 Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A more compelling and captivating Tree House tale, all the more interesting since Jack and Annie are more involved in the setting. Jack and Annie end up on a Civil War battlefield, improbably survive, and meet Clara Barton. They also encounter a drummer boy who they later find out is a relative. Jack is also stripped of some illusions about war.
Marc Lucke
Sep 14, 2015 Marc Lucke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction

Much like Tonight on the Titanic, this entry in the series struggles to address real-world tragedy in the context of a book aimed at grade-schoolers. Tricky.

Osborne wisely avoids any analysis of the war's causes and simply presents its awful consequences: chaos, terror, pain, suffering, loss and finally numbness. It's all done in very broad strokes and the text keeps the reader at a safe distance from the carnage, but it's made clear that the entire experience has a profound impact on the two pr

Stephanie Kahn
Jul 05, 2011 Stephanie Kahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Annie are once again transported to the past by their magic tree house in Mary Pope Osborne's novel, Civil War on Sunday. This time, they hear cannon fire when they arrive on a battlefield in Richmond, Virginia during the Civil War. Their mission is to find a special kind of writing that the magical librarian, Morgan le Fay, can use to save Camelot. While in the past, they volunteer to be nurses and learn from the legendary Clara Barton about how to overcome fear and put others’ needs b ...more
Coralie
Jul 18, 2015 Coralie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed the Magic Tree House books and this is the first book for this new mission. This mission (a set of four books) is my favorite in the whole series! I love when Jack and Annie go back to the Civil War. They see the true nature of war and they are eager to help.

Re-read: 7/17/15
Vanessa Dougherty
The magic tree house takes Jack and Annie back in time to the Civil War. Both Jack and Annie offer their help to wounded soldiers. Jack also meets a black solider that is fighting for his freedom and offers him some relief. This book could be great for acting out in an attempt to learn about the civil war.
Lauren
Nov 20, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Theses books were a great way to incorporate interesting little tidbits of history along the way with making a really fun and interesting storyline. I have to say I always wanted a magic tree house to be able to go and explore the world and time.
Dolly
May 16, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a book about the Civil War, full of sadness, pain, and sorrow for those who were injured or lost their lives during the war. It was a book of hope, too, where Annie and Jack not only meet Clara Barton, the founder of the American Red Cross, but they meet several others, one of whom was very important in their own history.

It was tastefully done and although the subject matter is very serious, it is appropriate for older children and is a great jumping off point for a discussion about sla
Tara Frye
Jan 28, 2015 Tara Frye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember I read this book in elementary school. Where they both ended up in the civil war. I think it really showed what it was like in the civil war. I loved how they always had such interesting stories. It would never bore me
Allie Bennett
This book is a great read aloud for the kids to listen to. It is wonderful for any history lesson and ties ends together when learning about the topic. For this one in particular, teachers can use it to teach about the Civil War.
  • Pirates (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #4)
  • The Orange Outlaw (A to Z Mysteries, #15)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • The King of Show-and-Tell (Ready, Freddy!, #2)
  • Insect Invaders (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #11)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)