The Heart of Memory

The Heart of Memory

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  46 reviews
When beloved Christian writer and speaker Savannah Trover becomes gravely ill, she has to face the sham that her faith has become. Days before her heart transplant, she vows to change her ways and she renews her relationship with Christ. But when she awakens from the surgery, Savannah discovers that her faith has left her completely. Savannah s husband, Shaun, is concerned...more
Published April 5th 2011 by Zondervan (first published March 4th 2011)

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryPersuasion by Jane AustenPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Headless Women
280th out of 416 books — 117 voters
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullersHeart of Darkness and the Congo Diary by Joseph ConradGut Symmetries by Jeanette WintersonThe Heart of the Matter by Graham GreeneZombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum
Body Organs
58th out of 116 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Monique
You know, this book was very interesting. Savannah appears to be a person who has it all – a successful Christian ministry as a speaker and author, a good husband who runs her business, a daughter in college with a nice, Christian boyfriend, but things aren’t always as they appear.

While touring Savannah becomes ill with what she thinks is the flu, but when she doesn’t get better she seeks out the doctor. Ending up in the hospital and needed a heart transplant, Savannah turns to her faith to help...more
Sara
I'm not good at reviewing what happened word for word in a story - many others have done that for you on this site. I just want to comment that this was an enjoyable read. It opened my eyes and my heart. The book is a Christian book, without totally breathing Christian principles down your neck. It illustrates real-life situations where Christians must not only deal with their problems but face them and find God along the way. It does a great job of showing that all people, Christians included,...more
Estelle
Here is a woman who'se whole life is centered in Christ. She writes books about it and has speaking engagements about her books. She becomes ill and is in need of a heart donor and receives the heart of an atheist donor. After the operation she becomes skeptical and no longer believes in her writing and losses all faith even regards it as delusional. The book explains that "Personality traits are stored in cells throughout the body, not just the brain." It would seem from this great changeover t...more
Valerie
I can see that a lot of people liked this book, but I thought it was truly bad. Trite, superficial... the only character I could generate any feeling for was the daughter, Jessie, and that was not very much. I thought the characters were self-absorbed and the emotionalism was over-the-top and just not believable. I usually find something to like about most books, but not this one. Unfortunately, well-written Christian fiction is just hard to come by.
Maria Love
I believe many of us on this "faith walk" struggle with what Savannah does in this book. Heartfelt and transparent....this story spoke to my heart and my own walk of faith.
Karen
Savannah's husband, Shaun, is concerned about his wife's odd behavior---and even more concerned about the secret he's keeping from her. If she doesn't bring down th...more
Lydia
Melissa
Cafelilybookreviews
This book was a very interesting read and the subject matter was handled much differently than I expected. Alison wrote about issues related to organ transplants in a way that I had never heard of before and it made me curious enough to go and do some further research. I wasn’t prepared for the abrupt ending though; it caught me totally off guard and disappointed me a little. I was so caught up in the story of Savannah and Shaun Trover that I wanted to find out more about their life and how thin...more
Casey
An emotional roller-coaster ride! That is the easiest way to describe “The Heart of Memory”. The entire book was a ride through emotional highs and lows.

I was intrigued as I read this book and it grew as the plot developed. The book held my attention quite well, especially since the story was based mainly on what was happening within each of the characters. The story walks through the faith journey of Savannah primarily, but includes the struggles of her husband and daughter. The book had severa...more
Ane Mulligan
The Heart of Memory will linger in your memory long after you turn the last page. Alison Strobel plumbs the depths of lost faith and the loss of self in this amazing book. She exposes things about transplant recipients and cellular memory that were spellbinding. I couldn't put it down. Novel Journey and I highly recommend it. It's a 5-star read.
Tanya
This book was pretty interesting. It told the story of a lady in ministry whose focus on helping others caused her to neglect those in her family. After getting sick and finding out she needs a new heart, she starts to slow down. She has a transplant surgery and takes on the feelings of the donor's heart.
Elaine
Savannah has a secret. What can she do? Who can she tell? So many people rely on her. Her ministry depends on her.

Her husband Shaun has a secret too. One he's desperately trying to cover.

And the bills keep mounting.

How far will the lies carry them?

Then there's their daughter Jessie, a college student who wants to have a close relationship with her mother, especially when her mother was so close to death. Jessie plans on changing the way she responds to her mother but every time she tries to tal...more
Ashley
Minderella34
I really enjoyed this book. It dealt with subject matter I think many christian authors do not approach, a loss and questioning of ones faith and beliefs. I felt Strobel did an excellent job with it. I also liked that she tackled organ transplantation and recovery, both emotional and physical that comes with that. Not sure if the cellular memory is bunk or true, but was an interesting concept, and one I will research. However, I can only give it 3 stars as the ending left me hanging a bit. I wis...more
I liked the fact that it reveals people for who they are....Christians can be nasty, unfaithful, deceptive, disloyal, doubting, judgmental, uncaring and killing their wounded ; but what distinguishes us from unbelievers is the forgiveness of Jesus, effective the day we accept it, and efficacious eternally. Not that I advocate anyone to continue to live their lives as the former, but was refreshingly surprised to read a Christian book where not all Christians did the right thing all the time. Tha...more
Kate
I initially decided to review The Heart of Memory because the synopsis on the publisher’s website gripped me so much. I love novels that grapple with faith, and because of my own experience with chronic illness, I identify with characters who go through the trauma of facing a serious disease. Sometimes I get this feeling about a book, a knowing that I’m going to love it. I got that feeling about The Heart of Memory, and it was spot-on.

Continue reading this review here: http://parchmentgirl.com/2...more
Ann
A quick read, I also catch myself waiting for Christian books to get to, preachy.

This book while it did have alot of internal dialogue and praying going on, had a strong plot and story line. There was a medical aspect to the book I could not quite believe 100% in terms of timelines, but other than that the book was great. You felt like you truly understood where the characters were coming from and how they affected one another.

A good read for a quiet afternoon.
Sheridan
I couldn't put it down. I started it this morning and finished it by the afternoon. I guess it was good my little one was sick and wanted to snuggle on the couch all day! :)

I could really understand and connect with each of the main characters and felt for them and their situation. I liked how Alison entwined their stories together and gave you a glimpse into each of their experiences.

Another great novel by Alison!
Lisa
I like books that take you through the lives of more than one person. I like to experience how the different characters felt when they all faced the same trials.
This story shows us that no one is perfect. God sees our mistakes but loves us anyway. When we come to a fork in the road we should lean on Him and trust where He is leading us.
I would like to see a sequel to this book.
C.J. Darlington
Julie
Jan 13, 2012 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Those who enjoy Christian Fiction
I liked this book! I found the main character Savannah interesting. The journey she has to go through in the book drew me in and made me want to keep reading to find out what happened with her.

This is a strong Christian fiction book that I think most people would read Christian fiction would really enjoy.
Leah
This book was ok. I didn't care for the story line. I liked the characters and the spiritual change they went through the but the story line was just not believable in some parts. I just couldn't relate to some of the characters either. Just a silly book and wouldn't read it again.
Natalie
I just didn't get the resolution of characters I was looking for. I really loved the concept from a Christian perspective, though - we all go through periods where we question/lose some of our faith. It was refreshing to read a Christian book that says it's okay to struggle.
Cindy Winder delong
A woman is a Christian mentor who writes books and gives speeches. Her husband runs the ministry’s office and supervises the employees. She becomes sick and needs a new heart. She no longer believes in God and then her ministry must close due to lack of money.
Michelle Weeks
This was not a piece of literary fiction, but it was better than most of the Christian fiction I have read. Interesting interpersonal relationships against a backdrop of the mother getting a heart transplant which changes her personality and faith.
Patsy
This is one of the best books I've ever read. I have not read anything by Alison Strobel before but will be sure do to so. I loved it! The struggles this family went through seem so real you could just see everything as it was happening.
10-hour audiobook kept me company on a long road trip. Solid storyline, interesting concept. I'll be checking out other titles from this author.
Raquel Groom
This is a book I normally wouldn't pick up but it came with mu Kobo and I decided to read it. There's a lot of talk about God and faith which is something I don't normally like but it was a book that in the end I couldn't put down.
  • Thicker Than Blood
  • Steppin' Into the Good Life
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • Blood Ransom
  • The Homecoming
  • Song of Renewal
  • The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, #1)
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • It Happens Every Spring (Four Seasons)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Shrouded in Silence
  • Walking on Broken Glass
  • A Promise to Remember
  • After the Leaves Fall
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Delivered with Love
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Reinventing Leona
Alison is a women's fiction novelist who writes books about life, love, and faith. Her sophomore release, "Violette Between," was a RITA Award finalist in 2007. She lives in Colorado with her husband (with whom she has co-authored two children's books) and their two daughters.
More about Alison Strobel...
Reinventing Rachel: A Novel The Weight of Shadows Composing Amelia Worlds Collide Violette Between