Start by marking “The Heart of Memory” as Want to Read:
The Heart of Memory

The Heart of Memory

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  398 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
When beloved Christian writer and speaker Savannah Trover becomes gravely ill, she has to face the sham that her faith has become. Days before her heart transplant, she vows to change her ways and she renews her relationship with Christ. But when she awakens from the surgery, Savannah discovers that her faith has left her completely.

Savannah’s husband, Shaun, is concerned
Published April 5th 2011 by Zondervan (first published March 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Memory

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryPersuasion by Jane AustenPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellAnna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Headless Women
336th out of 481 books — 128 voters
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullersHeart of Darkness by Joseph ConradGut Symmetries by Jeanette WintersonThe Heart of the Matter by Graham GreeneZombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum
Body Organs
67th out of 131 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Monique
May 06, 2011 Monique rated it really liked it
You know, this book was very interesting. Savannah appears to be a person who has it all – a successful Christian ministry as a speaker and author, a good husband who runs her business, a daughter in college with a nice, Christian boyfriend, but things aren’t always as they appear.

While touring Savannah becomes ill with what she thinks is the flu, but when she doesn’t get better she seeks out the doctor. Ending up in the hospital and needed a heart transplant, Savannah turns to her faith to help
Sara
Jul 20, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
I'm not good at reviewing what happened word for word in a story - many others have done that for you on this site. I just want to comment that this was an enjoyable read. It opened my eyes and my heart. The book is a Christian book, without totally breathing Christian principles down your neck. It illustrates real-life situations where Christians must not only deal with their problems but face them and find God along the way. It does a great job of showing that all people, Christians included, ...more
Estelle
Jul 05, 2011 Estelle rated it really liked it
Here is a woman who'se whole life is centered in Christ. She writes books about it and has speaking engagements about her books. She becomes ill and is in need of a heart donor and receives the heart of an atheist donor. After the operation she becomes skeptical and no longer believes in her writing and losses all faith even regards it as delusional. The book explains that "Personality traits are stored in cells throughout the body, not just the brain." It would seem from this great changeover t ...more
Valerie
May 10, 2011 Valerie rated it did not like it
I can see that a lot of people liked this book, but I thought it was truly bad. Trite, superficial... the only character I could generate any feeling for was the daughter, Jessie, and that was not very much. I thought the characters were self-absorbed and the emotionalism was over-the-top and just not believable. I usually find something to like about most books, but not this one. Unfortunately, well-written Christian fiction is just hard to come by.
Libby Sellers
Nov 22, 2015 Libby Sellers rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, library
Maria Love
May 07, 2011 Maria Love rated it it was amazing
I believe many of us on this "faith walk" struggle with what Savannah does in this book. Heartfelt and transparent....this story spoke to my heart and my own walk of faith.
Karen
Jan 09, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
Savannah's husband, Shaun, is concerned about his wife's odd behavior---and even more concerned about the secret he's keeping from her. If she doesn't bring down th
Lydia
Jun 06, 2011 Lydia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Melissa
Cafelilybookreviews
Aug 07, 2011 Cafelilybookreviews rated it really liked it
This book was a very interesting read and the subject matter was handled much differently than I expected. Alison wrote about issues related to organ transplants in a way that I had never heard of before and it made me curious enough to go and do some further research. I wasn’t prepared for the abrupt ending though; it caught me totally off guard and disappointed me a little. I was so caught up in the story of Savannah and Shaun Trover that I wanted to find out more about their life and how thin ...more
Casey
Apr 18, 2011 Casey rated it really liked it
An emotional roller-coaster ride! That is the easiest way to describe “The Heart of Memory”. The entire book was a ride through emotional highs and lows.

I was intrigued as I read this book and it grew as the plot developed. The book held my attention quite well, especially since the story was based mainly on what was happening within each of the characters. The story walks through the faith journey of Savannah primarily, but includes the struggles of her husband and daughter. The book had severa
Ane Mulligan
Feb 16, 2014 Ane Mulligan rated it it was amazing
The Heart of Memory will linger in your memory long after you turn the last page. Alison Strobel plumbs the depths of lost faith and the loss of self in this amazing book. She exposes things about transplant recipients and cellular memory that were spellbinding. I couldn't put it down. Novel Journey and I highly recommend it. It's a 5-star read.
Tanya
Apr 11, 2014 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, 2014
This book was pretty interesting. It told the story of a lady in ministry whose focus on helping others caused her to neglect those in her family. After getting sick and finding out she needs a new heart, she starts to slow down. She has a transplant surgery and takes on the feelings of the donor's heart.
Elaine
Apr 26, 2011 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Savannah has a secret. What can she do? Who can she tell? So many people rely on her. Her ministry depends on her.

Her husband Shaun has a secret too. One he's desperately trying to cover.

And the bills keep mounting.

How far will the lies carry them?

Then there's their daughter Jessie, a college student who wants to have a close relationship with her mother, especially when her mother was so close to death. Jessie plans on changing the way she responds to her mother but every time she tries to tal
Ashley
Feb 18, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
Minderella34
Aug 26, 2012 Minderella34 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It dealt with subject matter I think many christian authors do not approach, a loss and questioning of ones faith and beliefs. I felt Strobel did an excellent job with it. I also liked that she tackled organ transplantation and recovery, both emotional and physical that comes with that. Not sure if the cellular memory is bunk or true, but was an interesting concept, and one I will research. However, I can only give it 3 stars as the ending left me hanging a bit. I wis ...more
Nenette
This is a Christian novel that takes up in detail the trials that one family has to undergo. With so much going on, and with everything seeming like they're doing well, one can easily lose sight and succumb to temptations. If there's anything that's not lacking here, it's the honesty of the main characters to themselves. With a solid foundation on their faith, they all eventually bounced back, though not without setbacks, a lot of them actually. They're just human, after all. At the end of the d ...more
Aug 07, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the fact that it reveals people for who they are....Christians can be nasty, unfaithful, deceptive, disloyal, doubting, judgmental, uncaring and killing their wounded ; but what distinguishes us from unbelievers is the forgiveness of Jesus, effective the day we accept it, and efficacious eternally. Not that I advocate anyone to continue to live their lives as the former, but was refreshingly surprised to read a Christian book where not all Christians did the right thing all the time. Tha ...more
Janet Valonis
Jan 27, 2016 Janet Valonis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. I never thought about what people who have transplant surgery go through.
Kate
Apr 11, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
I initially decided to review The Heart of Memory because the synopsis on the publisher’s website gripped me so much. I love novels that grapple with faith, and because of my own experience with chronic illness, I identify with characters who go through the trauma of facing a serious disease. Sometimes I get this feeling about a book, a knowing that I’m going to love it. I got that feeling about The Heart of Memory, and it was spot-on.

Continue reading this review here: http://parchmentgirl.com/2
Ann
May 06, 2011 Ann rated it liked it
A quick read, I also catch myself waiting for Christian books to get to, preachy.

This book while it did have alot of internal dialogue and praying going on, had a strong plot and story line. There was a medical aspect to the book I could not quite believe 100% in terms of timelines, but other than that the book was great. You felt like you truly understood where the characters were coming from and how they affected one another.

A good read for a quiet afternoon.
Sheridan
Apr 20, 2011 Sheridan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I couldn't put it down. I started it this morning and finished it by the afternoon. I guess it was good my little one was sick and wanted to snuggle on the couch all day! :)

I could really understand and connect with each of the main characters and felt for them and their situation. I liked how Alison entwined their stories together and gave you a glimpse into each of their experiences.

Another great novel by Alison!
Lisa
Jun 29, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literati-reads
I like books that take you through the lives of more than one person. I like to experience how the different characters felt when they all faced the same trials.
This story shows us that no one is perfect. God sees our mistakes but loves us anyway. When we come to a fork in the road we should lean on Him and trust where He is leading us.
I would like to see a sequel to this book.
C.J. Darlington
Julie
Jan 13, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy Christian Fiction
I liked this book! I found the main character Savannah interesting. The journey she has to go through in the book drew me in and made me want to keep reading to find out what happened with her.

This is a strong Christian fiction book that I think most people would read Christian fiction would really enjoy.
Leah
May 11, 2011 Leah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok. I didn't care for the story line. I liked the characters and the spiritual change they went through the but the story line was just not believable in some parts. I just couldn't relate to some of the characters either. Just a silly book and wouldn't read it again.
Natalie
Apr 18, 2013 Natalie rated it liked it
I just didn't get the resolution of characters I was looking for. I really loved the concept from a Christian perspective, though - we all go through periods where we question/lose some of our faith. It was refreshing to read a Christian book that says it's okay to struggle.
Cindy Winder delong
Jun 08, 2012 Cindy Winder delong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, nook
A woman is a Christian mentor who writes books and gives speeches. Her husband runs the ministry’s office and supervises the employees. She becomes sick and needs a new heart. She no longer believes in God and then her ministry must close due to lack of money.
Michelle Weeks
May 24, 2011 Michelle Weeks rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, fiction
This was not a piece of literary fiction, but it was better than most of the Christian fiction I have read. Interesting interpersonal relationships against a backdrop of the mother getting a heart transplant which changes her personality and faith.
Patsy
Apr 27, 2011 Patsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
This is one of the best books I've ever read. I have not read anything by Alison Strobel before but will be sure do to so. I loved it! The struggles this family went through seem so real you could just see everything as it was happening.
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • Steppin' Into the Good Life
  • Blood Ransom
  • Shrouded in Silence
  • Walking on Broken Glass
  • It Happens Every Spring
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • Thicker Than Blood (Thicker Than Blood #1)
  • After the Leaves Fall (Threads of Change #1)
  • Delivered with Love
  • Song of Renewal
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • A Promise to Remember
  • Goodness Gracious Green (Green #2)
  • The Homecoming
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Sweet Baklava
Alison is a women's fiction novelist who writes books about life, love, and faith. Her sophomore release, "Violette Between," was a RITA Award finalist in 2007. She lives in Colorado with her husband (with whom she has co-authored two children's books) and their two daughters.
More about Alison Strobel...