Ideas Behind the Chess Openings: Algebraic Edition

Ideas Behind the Chess Openings: Algebraic Edition

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In the opening, each player tries to control the center, set up a flexible pawn structure, develop the pieces rapidly and harmoniously, sometimes even go for direct attack. But there are so many complicated variations -- how can you memorize them all?

You can't -- and you don't have to! If you understand the basic goals of the opening you're playing, you will know which mov...more
Paperback, Large Print, 192 pages
Published August 22nd 1990 by Random House Puzzles & Games

To ask other readers questions about Ideas Behind the Chess Openings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ideas Behind the Chess Openings

Manny
Sep 08, 2010 Manny rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in the history of chess
Recommended to Manny by: My father
There's been a long discussing thread this week on my review of Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I started off by complaining that I found the movie hard to appreciate, since I'm not part of the video game generation and the references aren't natural for me. Many younger people countered by saying that they've hardly played video games at all, and they completely got it.

Well... my belief here is that you often soak up far more of the surrounding cultural ethos than you realise. A striking recent exam...more
Cormac Zoso
A good one-volume short intro to the wide world of chess openings. Rueben Fine does a great job of putting the most vital info into a pocket-sized book. This is a classic book in the chess lexicon. I have the old second edition in the Descriptive Notation and one of the newer editions in Algebraic to give my well-worn paperback a permanent and well-deserved resting place on my bookshelf.
David
I imagine I'd have liked it better if I was any good at chess. I guess I can add that to the list of things I thought I was good at as a kid. Like skiing and skipping class. I enjoyed the author's name more than anything. You can start calling me that if you want. Reuben Fine, indeed.
Serge Pierro
This is a classic for a reason. Fine gives great insight into the openings, giving the beginner and intermediate player, the knowledge needed to understand the opening of their choice. A bit dated, but overall still relevant.
Corey
Mar 10, 2011 Corey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: chess
Fine can be a little dogmatic in his advice, and some of the book is now dated, but this is still one of the best books for understanding what openings are all about-- not just memorizing variations.
Morris Nelms
Morris Nelms marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Dustin Sellon
Dustin Sellon marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Jordan
Jordan added it
Jul 21, 2014
Nimzo
Nimzo is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Ronald Clarke
Ronald Clarke marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Sheshank Kumar
Sheshank Kumar marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Shibani Mishra
Shibani Mishra marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Ac
Ac added it
May 08, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Emad Hassan
Emad Hassan marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Peter Barry
Peter Barry marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Mani Singh rathore
Mani Singh rathore marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Basic Chess Endings La psicologia del giocatore di scacchi Chess The Easy Way The Middlegame in Chess The World's Great Chess Games