Start by marking “Ideas Behind the Chess Openings: Algebraic Edition” as Want to Read:
Ideas Behind the Chess Openings: Algebraic Edition

Ideas Behind the Chess Openings: Algebraic Edition

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In the opening, each player tries to control the center, set up a flexible pawn structure, develop the pieces rapidly and harmoniously, sometimes even go for direct attack. But there are so many complicated variations -- how can you memorize them all?

You can't -- and you don't have to! If you understand the basic goals of the opening you're playing, you will know which mov
Paperback, Large Print, 192 pages
Published August 22nd 1990 by Random House Puzzles & Games (first published June 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Ideas Behind the Chess Openings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ideas Behind the Chess Openings

Manny
Sep 08, 2010 Manny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in the history of chess
Recommended to Manny by: My father
There's been a long discussing thread this week on my review of Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I started off by complaining that I found the movie hard to appreciate, since I'm not part of the video game generation and the references aren't natural for me. Many younger people countered by saying that they've hardly played video games at all, and they completely got it.

Well... my belief here is that you often soak up far more of the surrounding cultural ethos than you realise. A striking recent exam
Cormac Zoso
A good one-volume short intro to the wide world of chess openings. Rueben Fine does a great job of putting the most vital info into a pocket-sized book. This is a classic book in the chess lexicon. I have the old second edition in the Descriptive Notation and one of the newer editions in Algebraic to give my well-worn paperback a permanent and well-deserved resting place on my bookshelf.
Dogday
Apr 07, 2014 Dogday rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read 50%. Focused on the sound openings, especially the ones I play or encounter. Skimmed passed the others. I got limited insight into how to follow up certain openings and a few specific tricks, but not much more than that. Occasional use of colourful language helped to liven up this inherently dry topic.
David
Feb 13, 2008 David rated it it was ok
I imagine I'd have liked it better if I was any good at chess. I guess I can add that to the list of things I thought I was good at as a kid. Like skiing and skipping class. I enjoyed the author's name more than anything. You can start calling me that if you want. Reuben Fine, indeed.
Serge Pierro
Sep 26, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it liked it
Shelves: chess
This is a classic for a reason. Fine gives great insight into the openings, giving the beginner and intermediate player, the knowledge needed to understand the opening of their choice. A bit dated, but overall still relevant.
Corey
Mar 10, 2011 Corey rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
Fine can be a little dogmatic in his advice, and some of the book is now dated, but this is still one of the best books for understanding what openings are all about-- not just memorizing variations.
Vivek Gadiyar
Vivek Gadiyar marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Ohshaunacey Bladen
Ohshaunacey Bladen marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Niall Fogarty
Niall Fogarty marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Cons Bulaquena
Cons Bulaquena marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Kaung
Kaung marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Spectraz
Spectraz marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Ella Ellington
Ella Ellington marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
John L.
John L. marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Darkcloud
Darkcloud rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Gorgi Krenkov
Gorgi Krenkov rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Donald
Donald rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Josaiah Reason
Josaiah Reason rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Rocky Citro
Rocky Citro marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Edwin Meijer
Edwin Meijer marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Angela Maloney
Angela Maloney rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Rajakumar
Rajakumar marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Justin
Justin is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2016
  • Think Like A Grandmaster
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • The Reassess Your Chess Workbook: How to Master Chess Imbalances
  • Pawn Structure Chess
  • Garry Kasparov on My Great Predecessors,  Part 1
  • My 60 Memorable Games
  • Art of Attack in Chess
  • Modern Chess Openings: MCO-14 (McKay Chess Library)
  • Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953