Start by marking “Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day” as Want to Read:
Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,825 ratings  ·  118 reviews
Fromthe authors of the groundbreaking, hugely popular Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day comes a new cookbook filled with quick and easy recipes for healthy bread Their first book was called ?stupendous,? ?genius,? and ?the holy grail of bread making.? Now, in their much-anticipated second book, Jeff Hertzberg, M.D., and Zoë François have taken their super-fast method and ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published October 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day

I don't bake. It's that simple. Even though I would love to get in the kitchen and whip up some baked goods, as a busy mom, I don't have the time to do it. Plus, everything I would bake would make me gain so much weight it is impossible for me to justify baking a cake or making a batch of cookies, no matter how fun it would be.

Bread, though, especially the kind that tastes very gourmet, is a different story. Although I am in love with bread, I can control myself with a loaf of bread better than
Punk
Cookbook. A follow-up to their previous book, this explores using the no-knead method with whole grains, gluten-free flours, natural sweeteners, healthy nuts and seeds, beets, you know, whatever's handy.

There's a great introduction to the different kinds of flours and ingredients used in the recipes. It also goes over possible substitutions and includes a conversion chart from volume to weight if that's how you roll. There's some refinement of the original method, which I appreciated. You can e
Laurie
So far I've tried:

~Artisan Loaf with Seed Mixture
~Hearty Whole Wheat Sandwich Loaf
~Whole Grain Garlic Knots with Parsley and Olive Oil
~Roasted Garlic Bread

The recipes are super-duper easy. It takes about 15-20 minutes to make the dough. On baking day, it's about 5-10 minutes of hands-on time.

Each recipe makes anywhere from 3-4 loaves. Baking bread could not be easier and everything is tasty!
Angela
The authors of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day are back with a book full of healthier bread recipes. Hertzberg and Francois propose that anyone can make artisan bread quickly and easily by preparing enough dough for several loaves and storing it in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Obviously, their five minute a day time line does not include the time for the dough to rise or the actual baking time of the bread.

Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day contains not only great looking bread rec
Denise
I have recently been experimenting with baking my own bread and this is the best cookbook I’ve found. The recipes are both easy to follow and forgiving of mistakes. I absolutely love the method of making large batches of dough that can be kept for 2 weeks or more in the refrigerator. Then all you have to do is take some out, shape it, and give it a couple of hours to rise. It makes fresh bread for dinner, on a weeknight, easy and convenient.
There are many, many variations that allow for the vari
Ellen Christian
This cookbook is by the authors of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. It’s a hardcover book with a yummy looking dust jacket. The cookbook has 324 pages and ten chapters. The chapters include Introduction, Ingredients, Equipment, Tips and Techniques, The Master Recipe, Whole Grain Breads, Breads with Hidden Fruits and Vegetables, Flatbreads & Pizza, Gluten Free Breads and Pastries and Enriched Breads and Pastries from Healthy Ingredients.

This is not your typical bread book! The recipe list
Camille
This book is much like Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, only the recipes contain whole grains, fruit or, vegetables. This book can stand alone because the introductory text includes all of the basic method information again, as well as a discussion of the ingredients used in the recipes.

I've tried out two of the recipes - the Master Recipe on pg. 53 and the Whole Wheat Banana Bread on pg. 200.

The Master Recipe turned out interesting loaves of bread. I've made it twice and the two batches wer
Valerie Roberts
I'm in love with this cookbook. I've had it a few weeks, and so far I've tried three of the "master" recipes, and from those three types of bread dough have made many types of bread, breadsticks, and even pizza. In an affort to get my son to eat healthier foods, I've started making the bread for the sandwiches in his lunchbox, and he LOVES the whole wheat sandwich bread that I made from this book. I love how easy and convenient it is. It's super easy to mix together some dough ingredients, let i ...more
Shannon
I still can't believe that I'm making my own bread. My husband comes home from work and the first words out of his mouth are, "Where is the bread?" It's going to take a while for me to get the schedule down for mixing/baking so I can have a continuous bread supply. Some of the recipes recommend baking at least 24 hours after mixing the bread. I only have room in the refrigerator for one batch of dough, so it's a learning process.

Also, we had a sudden change in weather and humidity recently and i
Leila
What a wonderful book. And what a wonderful concept! Bread that doesn't require kneading means good, fresh bread that even those with arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, or other motion-inhibiting disorders can make, entirely without pain.

From the same authors who gave us "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day", this new volume uses the same time-and-energy saving leavening secrets. This time, however, we are creating more nutritious, fiber-rich breads from whole grains and other plant foods. That
Cara
Even though I absolutely love everything about the original 5-minute bread and agree with everything I've read so far in this book, for some reason I find myself wanting to argue all the time with the informative chapters. Not sure what's up with that. But I'm very excited about most of the recipes, especially the ones involving garlic. Mixed up a batch of the master recipe this morning; eagerly awaiting the results. I was concerned that it would take a lot longer than the regular version becaus ...more
Rosemarie
I received this book a while ago, I have their other one from the library to compare.
Actually they are both great books. The older one centers mostly on white bread, I personally like the whole wheat bread. The Idea is that they make a basic Master Recipe that you mix without kneading, you just mix let stand for awhile and store the dough for up to a few weeks and use when needed.
Pull a lot of dough for yourself or pull more if you are having company it cannot be more simple. In my over 40 yea
Rikelle
I lOVE this book. The bread is so easy and tastes delicious and is good for you too. I have been working my way through the recipes and it has been a lot of fun. So far my favorites are the Quinoa bread and the Pumpkin Brioche. It is so great to have dough in the fridge ready to be pulled out and make breadsticks, flat breads, pizza, crescent rolls. Yum! You just dump the ingredients (the only ingredient that might not be common in your pantry is vital wheat gluten) into your kitchenaid and in u ...more
Lisa
I have their first book, Artisan Breads in Five Minutes a Day and while I loved the concept, I didn't end up making much from it because it relies so heavily on all-purpose flour and I've been making the switch to whole-wheat and other whole grain breads. I love that I can mix up some dough, leave it in my fridge, and bake various things from that dough over the course of the next week or so.

I currently have this title checked out from my library and am slowly going through making all the yummy
Jenny
I loved the boule master recipe from the first book (Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day). But I was a little dismayed at how heavy the other recipes were, calorie-wise. And voila! The authors come up with this gem. I have made whole wheat garlic knots, whole wheat sandwich bread, and have a half batch of quinoa bread in the fridge ready to be made whenever I want it (tomorrow, probably). Next up: the lentil curry loaf, corn bread, wild rice pilaf bread, tabbouleh bread, and perhaps I'll take a ...more
Abigail Rasmussen
This book is a great sequel to the authors' first book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day," with bread recipes including 100% whole wheat, and other flours such as rye, buckwheat, cornmeal, millet, etc. However, the thing that caught my attention in the reviews I read about it, were the gluten free variations of "Bread in 5 Minutes a Day."

The gluten free bread I have made from this book is astonishingly delicious. Everyone in my family LOVES it, not just the gluten deprived persons. With recip
I think I actually like this book better than their original Artisan Breads book. First, I <3 wheat, and second, this book makes more of an effort to provide weights for those of us who balk at baking by volume (which I used to find pretentious, but guess what? Baking results are SO MUCH MORE consistent when you measure by weight, it turns out).

That said, the first book got five stars and this book got four because I've fallen just a tiny bit out of love with the no-knead technique. I still
I've made a couple of things from this with mixed results. I'm not sold on wheat gluten, but the bread is pretty good. Similar to the other artisan bread in 5 minutes a day book.
Ehrrin
I'm totally jazzed about this method (see my review for Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day), but I got both books out of the library, and they're so similar that I kept accidentally picking up the wrong one, and not even realizing until I saw the other book with my bookmark waiting. I didn't finish reading this one because so much of the information was repeated. This one just felt like they were trying to get everything they could out of this 15 minutes, and repetition be damned.

So, read eithe
Dianna
The whole-grain companion to Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day1009996. It answered my question as to whether you can add gluten to no-knead recipes (the answer is yes!). I did think all the talk about health benefits was a bit cheesy—I just want to make good, whole-grain bread and I didn't get this book to have a lecture on nutrients.

These recipes worked better for me than just using white whole wheat flour in place of white in the recipes in the original book, which is what I was doing before
Gina
This book and its predecessor got me baking bread again after a long hiatus. While the first book is useful for its base loaf, olive oil bread and sweet doughs, if I had to pick one of the two I'd take the Healthy book. It has some absolutely delicious breads. The Algerian flatbread was a hit in our house, and my German co-worker praised the Vollkornbrot as tasting as good as the bread her mother makes. You do need more specialized ingredients for these breads, like vital wheat gluten and the va ...more
Marsha

olive oil
cheddar sesame
pizza
Denae Dietlein
There's a really insightful and helpful explanation of healthy grains and alternative sweeteners, but I wish that it wasn't limited to the first chapter. For recipes without photos - which is most - I found myself searching other resources to really understand what the bread is like historically.
As for the method, it's a worthwhile investment for anyone who thinks they may be interested - it really is a time saver and offers plenty of options...so if you mess up your dough and know your loaf wo
Paula Johnston
SOME MANY ERRORS IN THIS BOOK THAT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. I WOULD TAKE IT IF IT WAS FREE IT IS A AWFUL COOKBOOK SO IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR RECIPE TO FAIL DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT USE IT.
Maren
The title sounds so promising. But it was pretty disappointing. Basically if you keep dough readymade in your fridge, it just takes five minutes to shape it on cooking day and you have fresh artisan bread. Since the yeast ages while your dough waits for you in the fridge, the authors claim it gives your bread a hint of sourdough-like taste. I like sourdough, but this was not sourdough. It was bitter and disgusting. Granted I only tried one recipe, but it convinced me not to bother trying any oth ...more
Wow, this is a really great book. I'll have to admit that their method isn't totally revolutionary: I remember my mother making sweet dough in large batches and putting it in the fridge to be used whenever for rolls or cinnamon rolls. The difference is, they have a super easy method for making bread that crackles when you bite in and the inside is so dense and moist and chewy. And did I mention that it is easy? Oh, and the authors are from Minnesota (which scores big points with Alex).
Tessa
I am super excited about this convenient/delicious idea and so many of these recipes sound amazing. I have tried the master recipe and the bread turned out very yummy. However, I think it will take some practice to be able to work with their sticky dough as effortlessly as they make it sound; it seemed like no matter how much flour I used, it stuck to everything. That said, I am definately going to keep using these recipes. I want to try out the avacado bread and the pumpkin pie brioche.
Agnes
I love this book! I was intrigued by the concept and have made 3 batches of the whole grain master recipe. Its fantastic! I followed the recipe exactly as is and I created the most deliciously easy whole grain bread I have ever baked. My family all agrees, its the best tasting bread I've ever made for them. Considering that its by far the easiest too, I can not recommend it enough. I will definitely be working my way through more of the bread recipes in here.
Julie
I haven't yet made all the recipes I want to in this, but I definitely like having the ability to make whole-grain no-knead bread. The recipes in this seemed to take a little more attention than in "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" (they don't rise as readily, and are more prone to soggy, undercooked loaves), but it's worth it for the healthier bread. I'd say the bread I'm making these days is 60% from "Artisan Bread" and 40% from "Healthy Bread."
Malina
I really like the chapter on putting fruits/vegetables in the breads. This book is more than just a remake of the first book with grains - it has tons of new recipes as well. We have tried a few and loved them. I love having bread dough in the fridge ready to make a loaf or rolls for dinner quickly. The down side to the whole grains though is that the dough needs to rest 90 minutes before baking instead of just 30-40.
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains
  • Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
  • Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • The Bread Bible
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • 660 Curries
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Tartine Bread
Jeff Hertzberg is a physician with 20 years of experience in health care as a practitioner, consultant, & faculty member at the University of Minnesota Medical School. His interests in baking & preventive health sparked a quest to apply the techniques of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day to healthier ingredients. He lives in Minneapolis with his wife & two daughters.

--from the author
More about Jeff Hertzberg...
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day Gluten-Free Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day