Start by marking “Disturbed by Her Song” as Want to Read:
Disturbed by Her Song

Disturbed by Her Song

Disturbed By Her Song collects the work of Esther Garber and her half-brother Judas Garbah, the mysterious family of writers that Tanith Lee has been channeling for the past few years. Possibly autobiographical, frequently erotic and darkly surreal, their fiction takes place in a variety of eras and places, from Egypt in the 1940s, to England in the grip of the Pre-Raphael ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Lethe Press

To ask other readers questions about Disturbed by Her Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disturbed by Her Song

Althea Ann
Jun 18, 2014 Althea Ann rated it really liked it
Black Eyed Susan
A hotel chambermaid develops an obsession with the possibly-ghostly figure of a lovely woman, seen wandering the halls. In the face of her fascination, her ambiguous and exploitative relationships with her coworkers and employers fade into unimportance.

The Kiss
A brief piece about a woman who tells a sentimental lie to avoid a gay-bashing. Old-fashioned, but unfortunately the issues it brings up poignantly are all-too-current.

Ne Que V'on Desir
A man has a brief affair on a train,
Angela
Jul 26, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
I was given Disturbed by Her Song as a review copy from Lethe Press, and I've got to say, this was one of the most unusual things I've read in a while. It's a collection of short stories written by Tanith Lee, but under the conceit that two of her characters are actually writing the stories. "Esther Garber" and "Judas Garbah" are half-siblings, and each of them is gay. The stories Lee writes for them explore same-sex relationships, and she does a very impressive job giving each of the siblings a ...more
Xdyj
Jul 27, 2012 Xdyj rated it it was amazing
A series of interconnected surreal short stories told by two queer narrators about love, time, prejudice and spirituality. Like other stuff by Tanith Lee, the writing style is lyrical, highly personal and slightly eccentric, & the characters are complex and interesting.

p.s. Tanith Lee seems to be out of fashion these days, but imho despite her occasional flaws she is a much more original fantasist than the likes of Neil Gaiman.
Craig
Jul 05, 2010 Craig rated it it was amazing
"The Crow," "The Kiss" and "Ne Que V'on Desir" are among the finest texts Ms. Lee has written--magical, dark and erotic. "Black Eyed Susan" and "Death and the Maiden" are a kind of lesbian gothic fiction, while the title story will bring a tear to the reader's eyes.
Alexis Hall
Tanith Lee is a writer who has always inspired strong reactions in me. When she hits, she hits it out of the park. And when she misses she bangs you in the face heavily with a bat. There appears to be no middle ground. I’m not sure how best to characterise Disturbed by her Song, as it seems to defy any particular genre classification - some of the stories involve the supernatural, either explicitly or implicitly, and some of them don’t, thought they all have an elusive, tantalising, other-worldl ...more
Jean Roberta
Aug 23, 2011 Jean Roberta rated it really liked it
Tanith Lee is a legend among fantasy writers and the author of over ninety novels. Her work has been attracting a cult following since the 1970s, when she sold her first book to DAW Press. Her tales are elaborate, and her words are as carefully chosen as precious jewels. Her eccentricities can be forgiven.

As an example of her quirks, she claims that this collection of stories was co-written by two other people. In “Meeting the Garbers,” Tanith Lee claims:

“I first met the Garbers in the 1990s; th
Cathy Bryant
Sep 25, 2013 Cathy Bryant rated it it was amazing
Tanith Lee is at the very top of her game in this glorious trip into the adventures and loves of the Garber/Garbah family. Whether she really is channeling them or they are an awakened part of her psyche doesn't matter - her deft storytelling, original take on everything and sensual imagery are all present in bucketloads.
You get an introduction too - she offers us just a fragment of her un-fictionalised self, and oh how I wish she'd write an autobiography!
I'm biased. I love everything she does.
A
Paige
Mar 30, 2011 Paige rated it really liked it
Reminded me of Angela Carter's fairytales. I'm interested in reading more by Tanith Lee.
Kinsey_m
Jun 25, 2014 Kinsey_m rated it it was ok
Shelves: projecte-2
I read this short story collection because I was intrigued by the fact that the stories are written by one writter (Lee) as if they had been written by two different writers (Judas and Esther) who sometimes also appear as characters. I have to say that this effect was well accomplished as I enjoyed Judas stories (in particular the descriptions and mood setting) but found Esther's stories really grated on my nerves (I must add here that for other reviewers the effect was opposite).
Nevertheless I
Teki Bell
Jan 31, 2015 Teki Bell rated it it was amazing
One of those great books that make me happy and make me feel as if i'm in love or smth. It disturbed me in a good way in all the ways - sensually, intellectually and, of course, physically). Terrific mix of erotica and magic realism ♡. Goes to the shelve of my favorite authors, like Angela Carter and Kelly Link.
P.S. I really liked the audiobook narrated by Jullian Kline. She has such a cute a little bit hoarse sexy voice *drooling* *^^*
SmokingMirror
Sep 04, 2015 SmokingMirror rated it really liked it
3.5 Though it appeared to be a perfect complement to absinthe at an outdoor café, the tone is similar to many other short stories by Tanith Lee i.e one's senses are best deranged in other ways. The title story is one that didn't engage me, although the rest of the book was enjoyable, Jonas perhaps more to my taste than Esther.
Susie Munro
strange, oddly timeless but wonderful collection of stories ranging from subtly weird through full-blown gothic to queer (mostly lesbian) erotica. Lee is a criminally undervalued writer of interesting and unusual dark fantasy in my opinion. Only negative point is the Orientalist/imperialist themes used to flesh out some of the stories but still definitely worth reading.
Oscar
A great collection of stories held together by the three authors- Tanith Lee and the characters she channels, Esther Garber and Judas Garbah. The story I liked best was the longest one, Death and the Maiden, but they were all really high quality and thought-provoking. I will definitely be reading again soon.
Cindywho
Sep 19, 2011 Cindywho rated it really liked it
Shelves: short_stories
Lee usually writes high fantasy with cranky heroines (in my experience so far). This small press offering of short stories finds her channeling two characters who write queer erotica with a touch of magical realism. The stories are emotionally intense. Esther writes a great love story while Judas tends to write memoir-like shorter pieces. They are both a little cranky too.

David Nouvel
Jun 01, 2015 David Nouvel rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-fiction
Une série de nouvelles "racontées" par des personnages gays, où l'érotisme et l'étrange imprègnent un style précis et sensuel. Un petit recueil pour découvrir l'oeuvre de Tanith Lee, qui promène le lecteur de l'Egypte du début du XXème au Londres contemporain, en passant par la France.
Barbora
Oct 26, 2014 Barbora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Another book from Tanith I'll definitely re-read. BUT - how the hell has she so many wonderful ideas? The moment I think she's done everything already, she comes up with something deliciously twisted.
Dina
Feb 08, 2011 Dina rated it really liked it
i've heard a lot of good stuff about this book, and it all turned out to be completely true. all the stories in the book are great, especially the title story. pleasure to read. i might even reread it sometime soon.
Jean Swigonski
Mar 28, 2016 Jean Swigonski rated it really liked it
Like any book of short story's some are good and some are not so good. this is no exception. There are one or two story's that are forgettable but most are outstanding, if you like Lees style that is. All story's are about Love and/or sexuality in one form or another. definitely worth a read.
Lisa Grabenstetter
Dec 27, 2015 Lisa Grabenstetter rated it really liked it
So good, so my cup of tea. Beautiful, surreal little stories with gothic touches pleasing to this fan of Dinesen and Hoffman. My only turn-off was that the metaphor in one story fell out as feeling transphobic to me. If only Lee could have ended that one differently...
Jay Z
Mar 03, 2012 Jay Z rated it liked it
Shelves: fem-lgbtq
Hmmmm. Interesting. Very weird and well-written. But a little more than vaguely Orientalist - Tanith Lee, who knew?
Lesa
Lesa rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2014
Elfscribe
Elfscribe rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2011
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Heartproblems
Heartproblems rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
S.
S. rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2011
celuran
celuran rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2016
Maris
Maris rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Nabil
Nabil rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Skin Folk
  • So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction
  • Heiresses of Russ 2011
  • Lumberjanes #21
  • Divine Endurance (The Last Days of Ranaganar, #1)
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • Moscow But Dreaming
  • The Turing Test
  • The Convent of the Pure (The Blood of Angels series, #1)
  • Lumberjanes: Beyond Bay Leaf #1
  • Elizabeth Rex
  • Takarazuka: Sexual Politics & Popular Culture in Modern Japan
  • Clockwork Phoenix: More Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #2)
  • Darkest Light (Half World, #2)
  • Servants of the Crossed Arrows (Rifter #2)
  • Bizenghast: the Novel, Volume 1
  • The Wicked + The Divine #18
  • Ms. Marvel, #18: Last Days, Part III
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...