Start by marking “Ask the Fire” as Want to Read:
Ask the Fire

Ask the Fire

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  4 ratings  ·  5 reviews
“I had a friend who was a spy.” So begins a story of espionage, set just before 9/11. It features a brilliant, almost enlightened, but emotionally jaded and politically cynical secret agent, an unabashedly and surprisingly open gay man who has seduced secrets out of Araby for decades for U.S. Intelligence and now struggles on his own to prevent the start of the Terrorist W...more
Published (first published June 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ask the Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ask the Fire

Jason Huffman-black
Nov 06, 2010 Jason Huffman-black marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, m-m
So, I struggled with wordy, rambling, pointlessness until I really couldn't take it anymore. As I read further, I grew more confused, with more characters being introduced when I still had no idea about the ones already being mentioned. Timothy Leary would have totally understood this book. I am totally not Timothy Leary.
Feliz
Dec 02, 2012 Feliz added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jw, dnf
This book refused to be read. Confusing, convoluted, no actual plot, preachy, heavy-handed---you name it. Is this supposed to be literarily valuable? One thing for sure, this book is not for me.
Chris
I THINK this was spy thriller with delusions of literary grandeur... Trying to read it hurt my brain - I made it through the Prologue and a chunk of the first chapter, but I just couldn't wade through the byzantine language and plot any more.
Tejas Janet
My initial impetus for reading Ask the Fire by long-time Austinite Dennis Paddie was because the author is a personal friend, whose creativity, intellect, and congenial nature always make for an entertaining and refreshing time whenever we meet socially.

I was pleased to discover that Ask the Fire likewise possesses many of these same attributes. That said, do not approach this expecting an easy book to read or instantly comprehend. Rather, it is one to unwrap slowly and appreciate as a puzzle t...more
Michael
I liked the storyline, the characters interesting enough, however I was disappointed with the writing. In my opinion, it was as if the author was trying to impress the reader with his command of vocabulary. The prologue was confusing and so were many of the chapters. It was if the draft went right to publishing; never rewritten. A good editor would have made a world of difference.
Sam Honeycutt
Sam Honeycutt marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Maddy
Maddy marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Bradley
Bradley marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2011
Mano
Mano marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2010
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2010
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2010
ElaineY
ElaineY marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2010
Paul Michael
Paul Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2010
Nene
Nene marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2010
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2010