Start by marking “Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!” as Want to Read:
Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!

Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  467 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Sock yarn can be used for much more than socks! Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders is an irresistible compilation of 101 original patterns for baby clothes, mittens, scarves, hats, jewelry, cozies, bags -- even a dog sweater and a lamp shade -- that all use just a single skein of sock yarn. Contributed by yarn shops and designers throughout North America, the patterns are as fetc ...more
Published November 13th 2010 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders

glitrbug
Oct 22, 2012 glitrbug rated it really liked it

***Edited to add: I e-mailed the publisher to ask for copies of the corrected PDF's and they sent them. I still think it's an awful lot of errors but they seem to have corrected them in later editions and made the corrections available to download. I've given the book another star.***

Be sure to print out the four pages of pattern corrections and the four corrected PDF's before you make yourself crazy trying these patterns. Later editions of the book have b
Michelle
Nov 22, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what I love more--a book with a bunch of cool patterns using sock yarn or finding said book at Half Price Books.
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: Superb pattern book simply filled with wonderful designs, excellent presentation, pictures, and instructions, all of which use one skein of sock yarn per pattern. Gonna have to return my library copy soon, alas... Guess it's time to shell out for my own copy now.

Most knitters love yarn, the brighter and/or more exotic patterned the better, and although many of the most beautiful yarn designs are for sock yarns, a great many knitters do not want to knit socks. This nifty thick large
Kerry
Sock yarn is my crack and I have hoards of it so when I saw this book I HAD to have it! I've looked through and like the others in this series the instructions are great, but what's even better is that the patterns are with the pictures!!! I didn't quite like the layout of the other books with the photos at the beginning and then the patterns later. It works in a magazine because they are thin, but it a book I like the the picture to be right there. Kind of like a cook book. You want the photos ...more
Tonileg
Jun 16, 2013 Tonileg rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-crafts
This is my favorite pattern book in the series. I have lots of leftover and stash sock yarn in the closet and this is filed with 101 ideas.
There are hats, caps, mitts , gloves, cuffs and socks, scarves, neck-warmers, shawls, shrugs, kids clothes, doll clothes, bags, purses and some home items (tea cosy, lamp shade, ornaments, etc).
Very cute weekend style knits which can easily fit inside a small sack to carry around with you for those moments when you have to wait in line (forever!) like went I
Kathryn
Jul 27, 2015 Kathryn rated it liked it

As I have also read another knitting pattern book edited by Judith Durant and found out about the numerous corrections identified, I expected this again and looked them up before I began to look at the book seriously and post the link here so I won't lose it http://www.storey.com/correct_book.ph...

more to come

Eli
Sep 12, 2015 Eli rated it really liked it
I have had this book for years and it is well-flagged with markers for projects I want to try. I have used this book for several projects since sock weight yarn is my favorite. The photos are great and very helpful as guides.
Kei
Aug 24, 2015 Kei rated it liked it
Help with the other side of sock addiction.... the sock yarn stash.
Lots of options and some quite fun looking things in here.

Rating will be updated once I have played with more patterns.
Margie
Feb 02, 2016 Margie rated it really liked it
Some awfully cute patterns, organized into hats/mitts/socks, wraps, kid knits, and accessories. I haven't made any so I can't speak to the ease of work, but they look worthwhile.
Mary
Dec 29, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: wish-list, knitting
Gorgeous book, high on my wish list, although I'm now a tad alarmed about the review that says there are lots of errors. Must make sure to buy a recent (corrected) edition!
Writerlibrarian
I love sock yarns. I love to knit with sock yarn. I knit scarves, fingerless gloves with sock yarns.

I haven't bought a knitting pattern book in ages. Still, I have two of this series of 'One Skein' knitting books.

The patterns are lovely, diverse and I have a dozen patterns that I want to cast on, like, right now, for which I have the yarn in my stash. Lovely lace scarves, I especially want to make the Athena one for myself. I have the perfect person for the lettuce scarf. So many patterns, so
Coffeeandknits
Jun 08, 2011 Coffeeandknits rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I've only checked it out from the library, but I think investing in my own copy would be wise. The patterns are clear and concise, as well as unique and beautiful. I think I'll be making the Hera Headband for myself, and a few of the doll clothes for my little sister. They are the perfect size for American Girl dolls. The back of the book provides information on each of the designers, including websites and blog URLs. I highly recommend this book to any knitter, but especially t ...more
Morgan Garratt
Mar 27, 2014 Morgan Garratt rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-books
please make sure to check the errata on the pattern before starting any of the patterns.
Joan54
Jan 19, 2015 Joan54 rated it really liked it
Good ideas in this book. I would like to make the horizontal rib hat.
lk
Feb 19, 2014 lk added it
Shelves: knitting
found so cute socks and gloves
Carol
Jan 16, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Nice assortment of 101 projects for sock yarn. I saw several that I want to make. These patterns may all call for just one skein, but many of them require fairly LARGE skeins - the patterns for some of the shawls list yarns that come in skeins of close to 500 yards, for example. There are just a few projects, mostly baby items, that can be done with single smaller balls of yarn.
Darla
May 21, 2015 Darla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
Already knit one hat from this book, several more patterns look interesting.
Judy Desetti
Jan 30, 2011 Judy Desetti rated it really liked it
There are some really good projects in this book. I plan to come back and knit up some of them. Borrowed this from TSCPL library
Erica scarf p 94

HOneycomb stitch scarf p 113
Easy Lace Scarf p 97
Muphyn
Jan 18, 2013 Muphyn rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It's got some really nice patterns that I want to try out (and some ridiculously pointless ones too, e.g. knitted earrings or a window panel for a wall - huh?!). Fortunately, overall it's got more useful ones than not. :) And you don't even have to use sock yarn (that's what I think at least)!
Faith
Jan 29, 2012 Faith added it
Shelves: have-book, knitting
Love the basis of this book, but they should have done a beter job of proofing. I have to say that this whole series,(which I have) is filled with errors. Before starting any project make sure you check the publishers website for corrections.
Leslie Jem
Oct 09, 2011 Leslie Jem rated it really liked it
After checking this book out from the library, I put it on my to-buy list. Fabulous patterns that fit with my budget and attention span. Imagine my delight when I found it at the KnitPicks warehouse sale for only $5!
Hilary
Oct 03, 2011 Hilary rated it really liked it
I haven't knit any of these patterns yet, but for someone like me who tends to have an assortment of skeins of lightweight yarn around the house, generally two or three of each, it's a perfect match.
Liz De Coster
Oct 09, 2011 Liz De Coster rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies, knitting
Love sock yarn but am not much into hand-knit socks (sacrilege, I know). Provides a really nice variety of alternative options, including a number of lovely lace patterns.
Lisa Headings
Mar 11, 2013 Lisa Headings rated it liked it
Some of the patterns in this book are great. Some have errors. A good variety. I don't like all of the styles, but with 101 patterns, there is a lot to choose from.
Amanda
May 14, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
I was slightly annoyed by the number of crochet patterns in the book (I can crochet - I just don't like it nearly as much as I love knitting, and therefore don't do it)
Pam Novack
Feb 04, 2013 Pam Novack rated it it was amazing
I really like this book, as I am a true fan of fingering weight yarn. The book contains a treasure trove of patterns to delight any knitter.
Carol
Oct 20, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Great all round knitting book perfect for using up those skeins of sock yarn we just cannot resist buying.
Mckinley
Nov 27, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Variety of items. Some could be a bit tricky.
Only a couple I might try hence the 2 stars.
Polly
Nov 20, 2013 Polly rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafts, adult
I like the idea of the one-skein wonders books, but mostly the patterns are kind of dull.
Kathryn
Feb 10, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Beautiful and pretty things, all of which I want to make. No interest in the socks, of course.
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • Toe-Up Socks for Every Body: Adventurous Lace, Cables, and Colorwork from Wendy Knits
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • More Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • Big Girl Knits : 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Knitting from the Top
  • New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist
  • Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice
  • Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques
  • The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques
  • Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book: History*Technique*Design
  • More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
Judith Durant is a knitter and beadworker as well as author and editor of several books on both subjects. Trained as a theatrical costume designer, she took a circuitous route through various costume shops in New York, on to a New York theatrical book publishing house, and then to Interweave Press in Colorado, where she was book editor and one of the founding editors of Interweave Knits.

Judith is
More about Judith Durant...