Start by marking “The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings” as Want to Read:
The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings

Read Book* *Different edition

The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,751 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
This selection of Poe's critical writings, short fiction and poetry demonstrates an intense interest in aesthetic issues and the astonishing power and imagination with which he probed the darkest corners of the human mind. The Fall of the House of Usher describes the final hours of a family tormented by tragedy and the legacy of the past. In the Tell Tale Heart, a murderer ...more
Published March 27th 2003 by Penguin (first published April 24th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings

Ben Winch
I wrote this review a while ago. What was I thinking? Now I'll have to explain myself. Anyway, here it is...
I go through phases where I think Poe was the greatest writer that ever lived. They usually pass in 2-3 weeks or so, once I've had time to read and re-read his best stuff and be appalled by his worst. For the most part, this collection sticks to the best. There's not much of it. 200 pages would probably do it. Maybe 12 stories, some poems ('The Raven', 'Annabel Lee'). But page for page I d
Adam
I feel like saying something along the lines of: "more fiction writers should read Poe." But I suspect that plenty of the shittiest writers around count Poe as a favourite. So what's the deal? In any case, much of this stuff is just perfect. And you know it. If you don't, you haven't read Poe, or have questionable taste.

The finest?
The Black Cat
The Cask of Amontillado
Ben Siems
Jan 12, 2008 Ben Siems rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were — I have not seen
As others saw — I could not bring
My passions from a common spring ... "
—Edgar Allan Poe, "Alone"

I wonder what percentage of those who cheer for the Baltimore Ravens football team realize that they are supporting the only major North American sports franchise whose name is derived from a a great work of literature. I'm guessing it would be pretty low.

Reading this book, which I did some time ago, gave me a lasting appreciation f
Rachel
Feb 09, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this whole book really expanded my conception of Poe. First of all, the introduction was interesting in that it downplayed the things you usually hear about Poe (married his young cousin, was an alcoholic, etc).

As for the guts of the book went, I have to say I suffered through most of the poetry, but the tales were great. Who knew that Poe basically invented the detective story? His are great! And the "Gold Bug" is such a fun story. (I remember reading it as a kid, though I didn't remem
Tracey
Oct 30, 2013 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh my goodness just read the pit and the pendulum it is truely frightening. Loved it one of the best psychological tales I have ever read. WOW 5 stars from me for this story alone.
A brilliant introduction to Poe .
There were lots of stories and poems in here that I admit to using my hi lighter pen on and that is not something I do regularly.
The Raven is a personal favorite of mine and The Pit and the Pendulum again Wow but there is much more to be enjoyed from this master of the macabre..
Edward

--T
Carol
Jun 02, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poe
First, let me say that I'm terrified by scary movies or stories -- blame it on my childhood! But secondly, I'm amazed by "The Fall of the House of Usher." Poe's writing is amazing. Coming upon the House, "with an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the everyday life." OR "There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart-- an unredeemed dreariness of thoughts which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime ...more
Nereyda
Sep 22, 2007 Nereyda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Romance by Edgar Allan Poe.

Romance, who loves to nod and sing,
With drowsy head and folded wing,
Among the green leaves as they shake
Far down within some shadowy lake,
To me a painted paroquet
Hath been- a most familiar bird-
Taught me my alphabet to say-
To lisp my very earliest word
While in the wild wood I did lie,
A child- with a most knowing eye.

Of late, eternal Condor years
So shake the very Heaven on high
With tumult as they thunder by,
I have no time for idle cares
Through gazing on the unquiet sky.
Michael Kelly
Jun 23, 2013 Michael Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poe's prose reads like his poetry, and that's about the best praise I can give. His writing is lyrical, fantastical, strange and evocative. It's like weird music and this, as much as *what* he writes, accounts for much of his effectiveness.

All of his most famous tales are in here, the highlight for me being 'Murders in the Rue Morgue'. The best of his poetry is here too. The last section of the book consists of a collection of reviews and articles, which I confess I didn't read as it was the fic
Kevin
Sep 09, 2013 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-good, classics
Old Poe really didnt like encroaching science at the time he was living in (1830/40's). Sonnet To Science is quite revealing; he saw science as slowly destroying age old ideas and myths...

'Why preyest thou thus upon the poets heart,
Vulture, whose wings are dull realities?'

Not only that, but how about:

'Hast thou not torn the Naiad from her flood,
The Elfin from the green grass, and from me
The Summer dream beneath the tamarind tree?'

Not much more to say. He is right of course.
Sandra
Jan 25, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
I didn't read the whole book since this was for a class on Victorian Literature (we're going to trace Poe's influence on Baudelaire and Swinburne). Someday I will go back and read the rest :)
Daniela
Mar 10, 2014 Daniela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect way to show the powerfulness of Poe's writings. He was a mad author, and in these stories, you can also know the scary part of the human character.
Ariana
Jun 02, 2015 Ariana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic-horror
This gets 3 stars only because of Poe's mastery of writing. I can't comment on the poetry because I'm not educated in that area, and I can't comment on the essays because they didn't interest me in the slightest so I skimmed through them, but the stories themselves weren't particularly enjoyable. There were a few here and there that held me in, but aside from the writing they weren't good enough to merit a high rating from me.

Poe's writing style and voice is impressive and I wish I were able to
Wendle
My overall impression was that Poe is a rambler. In most of the stories, he spends a lot of (in my opinion, necessary,) time setting the scene before launching into the story.

The stories in which Poe ‘got on with it’ and didn’t waste pages detailing useless descriptions, i found the most enjoyable—unsurprisingly. It was when i read ‘William Wilson’ (the fifth story in the book) that i was suddenly hooked. Suddenly i didn’t feel like i was forcing myself to keep reading. Suddenly the pages were f
Amber Harrison
Dec 11, 2014 Amber Harrison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Gothic
Shelves: ok, hard-going, dark
First I shall have to admit that although I read all the poems and the prose, I did not however read all of the essays as I fancied some lighter reading. I will however, go back to them at some point though not in the immediate future. I also felt that reading essays about thing’s I hadn’t read or seen of whatever would not be very useful as I would have no idea what they were talking about (or perhaps I’m just lazy).

The first thing I noticed while reading, was that his style of writing just l
Dan
Feb 10, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only really read this for the tales, the short stories. I wrote a few lines about each tale: ...

Ms. Found in a Bottle : A great story about a man caught in a shipwreck. Fantastic imagery of a man beyond his limits.

Ligea: The narrator tells of his love for a woman called Ligea and his devastation over her death. He gets married again and the new wife also dies but is then re-born as Ligea. Bit of a WTF moment and nobody is really sure what Poe was trying to do with this story. The heartbreak i
Emanuela
I had an old selection of Poe's masterpieces, but this present edition is a wider collection of his works. I have already read almost everything presented in this volume, both during high school, university and even later on in my life.
I adore Poe because he is one of the few writers who is really able to scare the hell out of me in just three or four words.
The Tell-Tale Heart and were the first two stories of Poe's I've read (I was about 12 back then)and the memory of the fright and goosebumps
Rhiannon
Dec 27, 2008 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edgar Allan Poe is amazing. Having read "The Pit and the Pendulum" after someone recommended it to me, I decided to buy this book and am thoroughly enjoying it.

His poems don't really come to much, except of course for "The Raven", which is a classic and so well-known you don't need me to tell you about it.

The tales are full of his speciality - suspense - in a way that often leaves you breathless. Their length is perfect for their content - any longer and you'd be going out of your mind. I often
Jana
Jan 28, 2015 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

I enjoyed it most of the time. Some tales and poems I liked more than others. I just found some of the essays rather dense and boring, but that might be because I haven't read the works they were about. The general essays were quite interesting though (like those on music or imagination).
Alex Richmond
Sep 20, 2015 Alex Richmond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: snanned-books
I was told that Edgars stories age very well, and by far most of them do. However, I will admit I had trouble understanding most of his poems and essays. That does not take a thing away from him, as my sister seems to get it, and most of my friends as well.

The book has a brief history of the man, then has some of his poems, then stories, then essays/reviews he wrote. The last 20 pages list reference to some things that may confuse some readers, as some things do age, or you don't speak french.

On
Godzilla
Mar 12, 2010 Godzilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2010
A book that has been put together wonderfully well. There is an expansive introduction which gives great insights into Poe's life and the nature of his works.

Then into the poems, the only one of which I already knew was The Raven. Some worked well for me, others were to verbose and unwieldy.

The short stories are the central part, and to me, the kernel of the book. Poe takes you into some dark, leads you along closed room mysteries and into some weird places.

To cap the book off, there are some of
Michael Froio
Oct 09, 2015 Michael Froio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The reason i bought this was to read 8-9 specific tales and poems by Poe. In time i might return and read it in full. Not for now.
5/5 for what it is.
Irini
Amazing!!
I loved his poetry, but what took me by surprise is how much I enjoyed reading his stort stories.
My favourites are "Ligeia" and "The Man That Was Used Up", powerful stuff. Creepy and majestic :)

Magic
Ghosts
Dead Zones..

Go read some Poe people !!!

description
Sophie
Jul 20, 2015 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Encore une belle découverte, mêlant fantastique, un peu d'horreur, beaucoup de finesse, de poésie aussi.
Alice
Aug 11, 2011 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: citizens of earth
The man was a genius!!!!! I enjoyed every bit of this book. The Poems: Poe seems half sublime, his mind is far from usual. These poems offer a feeling so rare and should be read by everyone at least once. The Tales: very enjoyable and diverse. Not too long and stuffed with long descriptions, nor too short to envelop the plot. Out of all, I probably liked 'The Masque of the Red Death' the best, and 'A Descent into the Maelström' the least. Too bad there weren't more, though. Essays and Reviews: H ...more
Rohani
May 11, 2015 Rohani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give "The Fall of the House of Usher" 3 stars and "Annabel Lee" 5 stars.
Sean Carman
Sep 16, 2014 Sean Carman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every bit as good as you remembered from high school! Five stars.
James Ferrett
Dec 18, 2015 James Ferrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"...with an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium--the bitter lapse into everyday life--the hideous dropping off of the veil."

A book of stories this well known shouldn't manage to have twist endings this unsettling. Poe knew how to unnerve in a short time, and these stories are a great example of how short fiction but be just as powerful as novels.

Some of the best and most surprising horror I've ever
DaveH
Jan 16, 2016 DaveH rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Poe, good read...
Gina
Nov 02, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rereading. Still awesome and spooky the second time around.
  • Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault
  • The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories
  • The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies
  • Hughes: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • A Parisian Affair and Other Stories (34 stories)
  • The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories: From Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Bierce (Penguin Classics)
  • Russian Short Stories from Pushkin to Buida (Penguin Classics)
  • The Kreutzer Sonata and Other Stories
  • The Spook House: Terrifying Tales of the Macabre
  • Great Short Works
  • Selected Tales and Sketches
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • White Stains - Anaïs Nin & Friends (Delectus Classics of Erotic Literature)
  • Not Much Fun: The Lost Poems of Dorothy Parker
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Haunted Dolls' House and Other Ghost Stories
  • Confessions of an English Opium-Eater & Other Writings
  • American Supernatural Tales
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...