Start by marking “Broken (Will Trent #4)” as Want to Read:
Broken (Will Trent #4)

Broken (Will Trent #4)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  24,922 Ratings  ·  1,155 Reviews
Karin Slaughter on Broken For me, every novel begins with character rather than plot. I know something bad is going to happen, but the central question to every story I write is "how will my characters respond?" Over the years, I’ve certainly thrown some hard times at my Grant County characters. Jeffrey, Sara and Lena have changed a lot since Blindsighted, my first novel. ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by Dell (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.

Jayna Honestly, to truly understand this book you should read the entire Grant County series. This book aligns more with the Grant County series than the…moreHonestly, to truly understand this book you should read the entire Grant County series. This book aligns more with the Grant County series than the Will Trent series.(less)

♥Sharon♥
Sep 23, 2015 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Perfect progression for this series. LOVED IT! I'll be back with a full review soon!

Just scrolling through my reviews and realized I never came back to this. Oh well. You know I loved it so that's all that matters right?
Jonetta
Mar 23, 2013 Jonetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sara Linton returns home to Grant County for the holidays, the first time since her personal tragedy. It's the first time she's faced all the reminders of her past life and it's a challenge. Unfortunately, she's almost immediately drawn into an apparent murder investigation that threatens to reunite her with Lena Adams, the woman she holds responsible for her pain. Because of the case circumstances, Will Trent is summoned to Heartsdale and together he and Sara team up to determine exactly what's ...more
Mo
Sep 21, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it
Another great read in this series. 4.5 "I love Will" stars.

Will is called into Grant County to investigate a possible suicide in police custody. He butts heads with Lena Adams and Frank Wallace, and uncovers a truth that most in the town do not want to see.

While reading this one I realise that Will has sandy hair. Tant pis! My review, my imagination.

Sara Linton no longer thought of Grant County as her home.

Sara is back in Grant county for the Thanksgiving holiday. It is her first time retu
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Although Karin Slaughter is one of my favourite authors, this is not one of her best books.

The body of a young woman is pulled from a frigid lake, and the man who is charged with killing her commits suicide while in police custody. Dr Sara Linton, who is home for the holiday, calls in Will Trent to investigate the death in custody.

This book has a great plot, but Slaughter has, unusually, failed to make the most of it. Broken lacks the suspense and thrills we have all come to love and associate
Karen
Oct 19, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS

And the Will Trent story goes on.

There has to be something awfully bad or awfully good to compel a person to turn their lives around.

This one taking us back to Grant County, where Dr. Sara Linton was born and raised, and worked with her late husband, Jeffrey Tolliver, who was the chief of police at the time.

Sara is only there for a visit with her family for the Thanksgiving holiday. But somehow her old life manages to draw her back into the thick of things.

But Sara is not so easily
Maria
"Era possível que a avó tivesse razão, quando lhe dizia que raparigas como ela não iam para a universidade, apenas arranjavam trabalho na fábrica de pneus, conheciam um rapaz, engravidama, casavam, tinham um casalinho de filhos ou mais, e depois divorciavam-se, embora não necessariamente por essa ordem." pag. 13

A mãe, avó, a tia tinham vivido assim mas Allison não queria essa vida para si. Boa aluna a química, ela queria ir para a Universidade. A conselho de um professor decide mesmo ir, mas a j
Darcy
Nov 11, 2009 Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun to read, but not for the reasons the author probably intended. My favorite parts of the book were the incredibly awkward interactions between Sara and Will, both of them are so socially retarded, both thinking neither is good for the other, not realizing they are perfect for each other if only Sara could get over her dead husband and Will could get rid of Angie who is the biggest user I have ever seen.

I also loved Sara's family and the town's reaction to Will. They all seem to
Paulo Pires
Dec 08, 2016 Paulo Pires rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
5***** Amazing book Karin ... Livros estupendo

« Uma vez mais, Karin Slaughter traz-nos uma história com elevada qualidade, dando um claro ênfase ao lado emocional das personagens. Apesar de os crimes serem resolvidos no final, a autora opta por aproveitar o livro para focar e aprofundar as suas personagens. Para quem é fã desta série é de facto fascinante poder contextualizar e conhecer melhor estas personagens.

Adorei o livro. Corrupção, vingança, manipulação são temas presentes no livro.

As pers
Ryn
Apr 04, 2011 Ryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Karin Slaughter always gives a pretty good thrill, but I'm getting a little tired of the whole Grant County scene. I absolutely love Will Trent, and I'd like to see him well away from Angie and preferably with Sarah, but all these serial killer-type situations in one tiny, minuscule, happy, joyous (as Slaughter delights in reminding us) town is getting a bit old, frankly.

It was entertaining, especially the interaction between Lena and Frank in the beginning. I was really sort of looking forward
Andrea
Apr 06, 2017 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
Another 5* rating this book got me hooked from the start,Lena Adams is back.a great crime case body in the water and the murderer wasn't revealed till the end.fantastic read highly recommend.
Piper
Oct 24, 2015 Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I loved this 4th Will Trent installment. While it was not as gruesome as the three before it, it had me guessing up to the end. I found the last chapter (not the epilogue) to be very emotional in so many ways.

I cannot express how much I want Will and Sara to become romantically involved. If only Angie would quit getting in the way. Argh! She is such a bottom feeder.

Lena had me fooled to a certain extent- I could almost sympathize with her……until the author steered my thinking into a very diffe
Michelle
May 26, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! ‘Broken’ is another thrilling masterpiece written by my favorite author, Karin Slaughter!

Not only was ‘Broken’ a great read, but it was wonderful to read about Sara again and get immersed back into a new crime mystery, featuring both her, Will, and of course Lena. With all her books— ‘Broken’included—Karin Slaughter has kept me up late, on the edge of my seat, and glued until the last act—which inevitably comes too quick. I’m always trying to figure out the “whodunnit” part of the s
Robin
Aug 05, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, kindle, mystery, 2015
Dr. Sara Linton returns to her hometown in Grant County to visit family for the Thanksgiving Holiday. When a college student is found murdered and her assailant arrested, Sara is called to the police station to help calm down the perpetrator. What she finds is a 19-year-old dead in his cell of an apparent suicide. Blaming Detective Lena Adams for not searching Tommy Brahams before putting him in his cell, Sara notifies the Georgia Bureau of Investigations about the negligent detective. Investiga ...more
Julie
Broken by Karin Slaughter is a 2010 Delacorte Press publication.

This fourth installment in the Will Trent series once again ties in with Grant County as Sara Linton returns home for the holidays. When a young college girl is found dead, originally the consensus is suicide, but upon further investigation it is discovered she was murdered.

Then a mentally challenged man is arrested for the crime, and promptly commits suicide in his jail cell. Sara knows instinctively that the cops messed up and t
Oana
Well, in spite of the carefully plotted mystery, this installment dragged. It was long-winded, wordy, and 200 pages longer than it had to be. Too much forensics, too much useless character background, not enough of a page-turner. Still, the dialogues and humor were spot-on, Karin Slaughter style. Anyway, my love for Will Trent is everlasting, so of course I will be reading the next in series. Right as we speak.

Who would play dyslexic, socially awkward, extremely clever and deep GBI detective Wil
Mary
This is the fourth in the Will Trent series. I've not read most of the preceding books. I found this an interesting mixture. Is this a murder mystery or is it the ongoing story of Sara - Jeffery - Lena with Will being thrown in?

Sara goes back to Grant County reluctantly. It is where she grew up, fell in love, was happily married to the police chief and then traumatically widowed. Lena, the detective she blames for her husband's death is still there. It seems like she has been there 5 minutes whe
Jean
Feb 16, 2015 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broken by Karin Slaughter

So much in this novel is broken. Sara Linton returns to Heartsdale to be with her family during the Thanksgiving holiday for the first time since her husband, Jeffrey Tolliver, was murdered. Her feelings are mixed, at best. Everything reminds her of him, and she still feels his loss. When a college student is found dead and her death is ruled homicide instead of suicide, Sara finds herself caught up in the case. A long-time family friend, Frank Wallace, the acting police
Marnie  Krüger
Dec 04, 2014 Marnie Krüger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, books-i-own
Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
“This is the place where death delights to teach the living.”

The power of learning cease to amaze me! It feels like every time I pick up a book by Karin Slaughter I learn something new. Her topics is never repetitive and you pick up the weirdest things you can randomly through into conversations - or maybe it's just me that do that.

NO Honestly, you should really read some of her books, she's a brilliant author and the fact that you fall in love
Ed
Jul 17, 2011 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of cop stories
Recommended to Ed by: saw it on a library dispaly
Law enforcement in Grant County, Georgia, is forced to deal with a murdered co-ed fished out of Grant Lake. We meet Lena, the homicide detective with her broken past. We soon meet Sara Linton, the doctor broken in spirit returning home for the Thanksgiving holidays to be with her family. We then meet Special Agent Will Trent with his own set of broken personal issues. This is a top-story police story. We see the characters' good and bad sides. This Karin Slaughter title seemed less violent than ...more
Manda Collins
Jul 17, 2012 Manda Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
8/28/12
Re-read 12/13/15

Re-read this soon after having finished ALL of the Will Trent books. This
was where I started, so I wanted to go back and see if I missed anything the first time around. I did. Still was a great read. And I loved picking up on all the nuances of Will's interactions with Sara here. Particularly knowing how far their relationship progresses later. Sigh. Wish I hadn't flown through these so quickly.
Maria Alejandra
Apr 24, 2017 Maria Alejandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enviciada con esta serie...
Julie
May 10, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, mystery, arc
I won this book through the First Reads Giveaway!! I'm a HUGE Karin Slaughter fan and I'm completely overjoyed with the fact that I won this! I can't wait to receive it and start reading! I'll post my review as I start reading!

Broken starts off with what Grant County personnel thinks is a suicide. Through a series of events, a suspect is captured and Dr. Sara Linton is dragged into the fold (unwillingly at first) along with Will Trent. They both start investigating the circumstances surrounding
Margaret
Mar 16, 2010 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down! This fast-paced crime drama had me spellbound. Not only did the action carry the story forward with some surprising twists and turns, the characters were fully fleshed out and identifiable as real people.
I especially appreciated the varying perspectives in the book, how Slaughter has brought us the view of shared past events through different characters' eyes. It is most enlightening to see how firmly each clings to the 'truth' of his/her interpretation of those events.
Susan
Feb 19, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Will Trent series, Karen Slaughter created a great multi layered character. Another fast moving thriller with some great detective work that keeps you guessing until the very end.
Petra Miocic
Kažu da male gradske zajednice ne pate od osjećaja otuđenosti svojstvenog velikim gradovima. Stanovnici su, tvrde, bliži jedni drugima i spremniji pomoći, osjećaju se sigurno pa ni ne zaključavaju automobile ili ulazna vrata, a ulicom hodaju ne plašeći se zvuka koraka iza sebe. A upravo su gradići počesto pozornica za najsvirepije zločine. Ili je tome tako samo u napetom, fikcionalnom svijetu kojim vladaju autori(ce) kakva je i Karin Slaughter? Čitatelji su od Karin već mogli naučiti kako zlo po ...more
Larry Bassett
I made a deal with myself to read some “thin” books, having worn out a bit on some four and five hundred page non-fictions. So what am I doing reading this four-hundred-and-two page thriller? OK, I admit it. I just needed some Karin Slaughter! And this was next in line in the Will Trent series. I am simultaneously reading a thin book of very short stories by Joyce Carol Oates to balance things out.

In Karin Slaughter books the cops can be less than stellar. In this book we got some crooked cops
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Karin Slaughter has quickly become of my favorite Mystery->Thriller novelists, right behind Michael Connelly. Her characters are realistic. They all have their faults and flaws as well as their good traits. That is one reason why I like her. Another reason is that she is a helluva good story teller. Her narrative voice is spot on suspenseful while easy to read. She always surprises me when the bad guy is finally exposed as is his/her motive or his/her relationship with one or more of the "goo ...more
Jason
Apr 27, 2012 Jason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My favorite female character is the victim who we spend one chapter with. That does not speak highly of Lena who I HAAAAATE so much that I decided I couldn't stand reading the Grant County series. The side characters are also pretty simple and unmemorable. Seriously, she is so aggravating and irritating, and useless and stupid. Sara's issues made me annoyed with her, yet she still managed to be boring. The mystery, as with a few other Slaughter books I've read, is on the dumb side. The writing, ...more
Janie Johnson
Aug 22, 2013 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-challenge
This book 4 in the Will Trent series and I had no doubts that I would like this book when I decided to continue with the series. I like the authors writing style and I love her flawed characters as well. I find her books very fluid and very easy to read.

In this installment Dr. Sara Linton needs some help to solve the murder of a young woman who was pulled from the lake. So Will Trent is called in to help figure things out. He meets Officer Lena Adams who appears to be keeping secrets from him an
Madison Mega-Mara...: Broken 1 9 Aug 05, 2012 04:45AM
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • Scream for Me (Romantic Suspense, #8; Daniel Vartanian, #2)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Abandoned (Smoky Barrett #4)
  • Hell Gate (Alexandra Cooper, #12)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Monkeewrench, #5)
  • Deeper Than the Dead (Oak Knoll, #1)
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Street #3)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
Karin Slaughter is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of fifteen thrillers, including UNSEEN, CRIMINAL, FALLEN, BROKEN, UNDONE, FRACTURED, BEYOND REACH, TRIPTYCH, FAITHLESS, COP TOWN, and the e-original short stories “Snatched” and “Busted.”

Slaughter was born in a small southern Georgia community, and now resides in Atlanta. She is widely credited with first coining the
More about Karin Slaughter...

Will Trent (8 books)
  • Triptych (Will Trent, #1)
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
  • Undone (Will Trent, #3)
  • Fallen (Will Trent, #5)
  • Criminal (Will Trent, #6)
  • Unseen (Will Trent, #7)
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent, #8)

“Curiosity broke her earlier resolve. "Have you ever been tested?"
"No." He stood behind Sara, holding the camera in front so she could see. "Zoom here," he said, flicking the toggle.
"You could probably-"
"This is macro."
"Will-"
"Super macro." He kept talking over her until she gave up. "Here's where you adjust for color. This is light. Anti-shake. Red-eye." He clicked through the features like a photography instructor.
Sara Finally relented. "Why don't I point and you shoot?"
"All right." His back was stiff, and she could tell that he was irritated.
"I'm sorry I-"
"Please don't apologize."
Sara held his gaze for a few moments longer, wishing she could fix this. There was nothing to say if he wouldn't even let her apologize.”
4 likes
“I found this." He put the briefcase on the table and opened the locks. She saw a stack of papers, an evidence bag with a red seal. He pulled a college notebook with a blue plastic cover from one of the pockets. Black fingerprint powder spotted the cover. "I tried to clean it up," he said, wiping the grime on the front of his sweater. "I'm sorry. It was in Allison's car and I..." He flipped through the pages, showing her the scrawled handwriting. "I can't," he said. "I just can't."
She realized that Will hadn't looked at her once since walking into the room. He had such an air of defeat about him, as if every word that came from his mouth caused him pain.”
4 likes