Start by marking “The Sacred Tree” as Want to Read:
The Sacred Tree

The Sacred Tree

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Sacred Tree was created by the Four Worlds Development Project, a native American inter-tribal group, as a handbook of Native Spirituality for indigenous peoples all over the Americas and the world. This handbook is being used by the Four Worlds Development Project to eliminate widespread drug and alcohol abuse in tribal communities. It is now being shared for the firs ...more
Published January 1st 1985 by Hazelden Publishing and Eduational Materials (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Tree

I've been wanting to read more into Native American spirituality for a long while now. My family has already so i've always been around it in one degree or another, but now I can finally connect all the dots myself by reading books like this one. It's very to the point with nice illustrations (some of which looked kind of creepy, btw), and a lot of interesting information about the medicine wheel, which my mother built one in our backyard some time ago but never properly explained to me what it ...more
if you love to hug trees and you are in love with nature and curious about native American spirituality, the book is for you, yes I mean it...... for you!
A detailed introduction to some central aspects of Native spirituality. The explanation of the medicine wheel, and the gifts associated with it, in particular is evocative and representative of an Indigenous worldview.
Reflections on the medicine wheel as a symbol for an individual's path in life. Very nice book, especially for people who are feeling unsure of themselves and who are seeking their path. Lots of white space on the page and lots of illustrations make the book seem like a quick read. In truth, each statement can be reflected upon so you could take quite a while to absorb each of the statements. It's a book that you can return to again and again for inspiration.
Interesting, very simple and basic intro to Native American beliefs. Obviously since beliefs are so varied among tribes, this is very general - but a short, enjoyable and enlightening read.
Emilee Layden
Full of wonderful ideas for reflection, evaluation and application.
Al Gritten
An excellent overview of Native American spirituality. Of course, there is variation from tribe to tribe, but the general understandings offered in the book give insight into overall spiritual thought of Native Americans. It also offers insight into the commonality of thought between biblical understandings and aspects of Native American faith understandings.
Gabino Arizola
This is a Great book for those who don't understand the true rituals and Spirituality of our Native people. This book will open the eyes and minds of the fake healer and pretend shamans that are playing with a part of our culture that makes people look at Native American Indians as Savages instead of Spiritual people.
I found this book very poignant and inspiring. Similarly to a religious text, Sacred Tree gives all the basics for understanding life and our paths through traditional Native American Spirituality.
Good little book about the basic tenets of the medicine wheel. There is a lot of information packed in 81 pages.

Just a skinny little book but it contains so much wisdom. Wish everyone would live by it!
On my top favorite that I can re-read and have.
Ayla marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Pâtrîčk Šêrrânô
Pâtrîčk Šêrrânô marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Sofia marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
A Lee
A Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Ana marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Xhulia marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Kelly K Pemberton
Kelly K Pemberton marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Ginger marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015