Start by marking “The Sacred Tree” as Want to Read:
The Sacred Tree

The Sacred Tree

The Sacred Tree was created by the Four Worlds Development Project, a native American inter-tribal group, as a handbook of Native Spirituality for indigenous peoples all over the Americas and the world. This handbook is being used by the Four Worlds Development Project to eliminate widespread drug and alcohol abuse in tribal communities. It is now being shared for the firs ...more
Published January 1st 1984 by Lotus Press (WI)

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Tree

J.C.
Feb 22, 2013 J.C. rated it really liked it
I've been wanting to read more into Native American spirituality for a long while now. My family has already so i've always been around it in one degree or another, but now I can finally connect all the dots myself by reading books like this one. It's very to the point with nice illustrations (some of which looked kind of creepy, btw), and a lot of interesting information about the medicine wheel, which my mother built one in our backyard some time ago but never properly explained to me what it ...more
Amy
Jan 25, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: native-american
Reflections on the medicine wheel as a symbol for an individual's path in life. Very nice book, especially for people who are feeling unsure of themselves and who are seeking their path. Lots of white space on the page and lots of illustrations make the book seem like a quick read. In truth, each statement can be reflected upon so you could take quite a while to absorb each of the statements. It's a book that you can return to again and again for inspiration.
Amal
Mar 04, 2008 Amal rated it it was amazing
if you love to hug trees and you are in love with nature and curious about native American spirituality, the book is for you, yes I mean it...... for you!
Gabino Arizola
Jan 26, 2012 Gabino Arizola rated it really liked it
This is a Great book for those who don't understand the true rituals and Spirituality of our Native people. This book will open the eyes and minds of the fake healer and pretend shamans that are playing with a part of our culture that makes people look at Native American Indians as Savages instead of Spiritual people.
Al Gritten
Jun 21, 2010 Al Gritten rated it really liked it
An excellent overview of Native American spirituality. Of course, there is variation from tribe to tribe, but the general understandings offered in the book give insight into overall spiritual thought of Native Americans. It also offers insight into the commonality of thought between biblical understandings and aspects of Native American faith understandings.
Ishita
Feb 09, 2014 Ishita rated it liked it
A detailed introduction to some central aspects of Native spirituality. The explanation of the medicine wheel, and the gifts associated with it, in particular is evocative and representative of an Indigenous worldview.
Momowithamic
Oct 23, 2012 Momowithamic rated it it was amazing
I found this book very poignant and inspiring. Similarly to a religious text, Sacred Tree gives all the basics for understanding life and our paths through traditional Native American Spirituality.
Beth
Apr 09, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, metaphysical
Good little book about the basic tenets of the medicine wheel. There is a lot of information packed in 81 pages.

Dayna
Jun 15, 2015 Dayna rated it really liked it
Shelves: interesting, religion
Interesting, very simple and basic intro to Native American beliefs. Obviously since beliefs are so varied among tribes, this is very general - but a short, enjoyable and enlightening read.
Quacinda
Apr 03, 2016 Quacinda rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
Lizelle
Lizelle rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2008
Allyson
Allyson rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Dougn
Dougn rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2010
Maria Sebastianpillai
Maria Sebastianpillai rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2017
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2017
Derek M Innes
Derek M Innes rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Breyanna
Breyanna rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2017
Patrick van Loosen
Patrick van Loosen rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2013
Otterfluff
Otterfluff rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Yuck
Yuck rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2017
Richard H Miller
Richard H Miller rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Whinnie Calhoun
Whinnie Calhoun rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2007
Kelly Guinan
Kelly Guinan rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Maria Mankbadi
Maria Mankbadi rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Laura Giles
Laura Giles rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2017
Wendy Johnson
Wendy Johnson rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Heather Bruce
Heather Bruce rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native American Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies
  • Medicine Woman
  • Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • Dancing with the Wheel: The Medicine Wheel Workbook
  • Grandmothers of The Light: A Medicine Woman's Sourcebook
  • Seven Arrows
  • Keepers of the Earth: Native American Stories and Environmental Activities for Children
  • Meditations with James Van Praagh
  • Dreamwalker: The Path of Sacred Power
  • Trigger Point Therapy for Myofascial Pain: The Practice of Informed Touch
  • Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems
  • The Lakota Way: Stories and Lessons for Living
  • Earth User's Guide to Permaculture
  • Native Roots: How the Indians Enriched America
  • A Still, Small Voice: A Psychic's Guide to Awakening Intuition
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • The Magdalen Manuscript: The Alchemies of Horus & the Sex Magic of Isis
  • The Monks and Me: How 40 Days in Thich Nhat Hanh's French Monastery Guided Me Home

“Potentially the seed has a mighty tree within it. The four aspects of our nature (the physical, the mental, the emotional and the spiritual) are like seeds. They have the potential to grow into powerful gifts.” 0 likes