Start by marking “Hideaway” as Want to Read:
Hideaway

Hideaway

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  24,232 ratings  ·  371 reviews
He was clinically dead after the accident-but was miraculously revived. Now Hatch Harrison and his wife approach each day with a new appreciation for life. But something has come back with Hatch from the other side. A terrible presence that links his mind to a psychotic's, so that a force of murderous rage courses through him.
Published July 5th 2005 by Berkley Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Hideaway, please sign up.

Theresa Kana brown Yes it is mostly, but its also about how evil returned to the world after someone died and was brought back to life.

Mike
Jun 20, 2008 Mike rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No
Recommended to Mike by: Jerks
Koontz blows.
I loved the characterization in this book. I have found that on the surface, Dean Koontz may appear to be a shallow, mass producer of books, but as I read more of them I realize how well-developed many of his characters are. He has a strong theme of the battle between good and evil in many of his books that I find I really enjoy. I particularly liked the big reveal at the end of this book that explained why the mian character Hatch was able to channel the demon Vassago. There was a movie made of ...more
John
Koontz's novels range anywhere from awful to brilliant. After reading a couple of his more mediocre ones in high school, I had pretty much written him off as a poor man's Stephen King and moved on to other horror writers like Clive Barker and H.P. Lovecraft. Hideaway, though, showcases Koontz at the height of his talent, and it's a surprisingly powerful, intensely gruesome read. I decided to give it a chance--partly because I found it at a thrift shop for less than a dollar, and partly because I ...more
Briana Patterson
Dean Koontz doing what he always does best. That's the impression that I was left with after reading this book. I enjoy the style and his ability to step out beyond the lines of what you might expect. Some of his stuff comes off as almost absurd, like an element of science fiction or fantasy dropping into what seemed to be a avereage modern society setting.

Hideaway is no exception to this.

However, I find that sometimes find that Koontz isn't quite at his best. I said this is what he does best,
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Oh my. Another Dean Koontz novel. Everytime I pick one of his books up I know four or five things are going to happen.

1º There's always a puppy (in this one there wasn't - which surprised me)
2º The main characters are always perfect. They are always knights in shinning armour. They have no faults whatsoever. (In this book it was true)
3º The Evil doer is always Chaotic Evil. If this was Dungeons and Dragons the guy was that one guy that chaotic evil characters are afraid of. He is that evil.
Maciek
Hideaway continues the ongoing theme of Koontz's fiction: Good vs Evil. And if you've read some Koontz before, you know his stance.

To give the man some credit, the novel does open with a bang: a car accident that's vividly written and riveting, and almost justifies all the praise this work has received. But after the first 100 or so pages Hideaway looses it's appeal; even the excessive gore cannot overshadow Koontz's usual clumsy characterization and terrible dialogue. Koontz excessively draws o
Mark R.
I read a lot of Dean Koontz's books when I was in high school. In the past few years, I've read a few, and they usually keep my interest. His novels feature a lot of similar scenes and scenarios (frequently an evil serial killer trying to track down a protagonist who's all heart, though with a possibly tortured past, and often a friendly canine companion), and some are great, some are OK, but they're never boring.

"Hideaway" was the first of his that I read, when I was fourteen, and has always be
Rayroy
I read this in high school, I guess Dean Koontz is a good author if you haven't read the likes of John Steinbeck, Don Delillo, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Coupland,Cormac McCrathy, Ken Kesey,or Martin Amis, to name a few. If you only get your books at airport gift shops, and you read mostly the likes of Janet Evanovich, John Grisham and Harlan Coban, what I would like to call the blockbuster writers, the Jason Bays and John Carpenters of the literature world. Writers that write for the big players, ...more
TQM Doctor
I've read this book many times but now that I'm a bit older (40's), I am a bit turned off by the incredible amount of evil exposed in this book by Koontz spending so much time in the mind of the demonic villain. Koontz uses a balance formula when he creates his "good" and "bad" characters. The contrast of the extremely evil encourages me to no only side with the good guy but to empathize to much a greater degree. An interesting book but not for the weak of spirit.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I believe this is the second time I have read Hideaway. I used an audiobook by Brilliance Audio to help me through this the second time and at the end of that program is a fun, insightful interview with Dean Koontz. I love the character of Regina. I love the setting of an abandoned amusement park. This story tells of interconnections and Koontz is not afraid to explore very dark territory.
Bridget
Wow.

Every time I read another Koontz book, I'm bowled over by the fact that HE GETS IT. He sees the supernatural in everything and everyone. He not only rejects the material consequences of evil ideas, but their very roots. In Koontz's worlds, as in real life, something is evil not because its fruit is rotten; its fruit is rotten because it is evil.

Now to more specific stuff. If you want to read a vampire story written for people with more than half a brain, this is it. Technically, the bad guy
George
"Το κρησφύγετο", εκδόσεις Bell.

Σχεδόν εννιά μήνες πέρασαν από την τελευταία φορά που διάβασα βιβλίο του Ντιν Κουντζ, αν είναι δυνατόν! Λοιπόν, αυτό είναι το δέκατο βιβλίο του συγγραφέα που διαβάζω, μπορεί να μην είναι και από τα καλύτερά του, προσωπικά όμως με άφησε ικανοποιημένο. Πριν τρία χρόνια είχα δει την ταινία του 1995 με πρωταγωνιστή τον Jeff Goldblum, από την οποία δεν θυμάμαι και πολλές λεπτομέρειες, πέραν του ότι ήταν μάλλον χαμηλών προδιαγραφών, αλλά ό,τι πρέπει για να περάσει η ώρα.
Graham
I'm quite ambivalent towards Dean Koontz. I've read a few of his books, and while I find them pretty readable and straightforward, none of them have truly blown me away and left me wanting more. The last one I tried was THE HUSBAND, so I decided to go back to one of his earlier titles, the early-'90s effort, HIDEAWAY.

This is a book with plenty of flaws and detractions, but some truly compelling stuff hidden within the pages too. It starts off on a sour note, with an exceptionally long winded des
Nenette
This is only the second Koontz novel that I've read and already, I am awed by his creativity, very much in agreement with the observation that stories such as this "could come only from the mind of Dean Koontz".

I would have given it a higher rating if not for the quite too early revelations on the identity of the antagonist. I also found this to be true with Whispers. Just the same, he did not totally disappoint.... Even with such revelations, one would still plow ahead with the story to find ou
Athena
I knew even before I got to the middle of this book that I would rate it two stars. In the beginning, when the drowning scene occurs, the story had a chance; the characters were well developed and the details were impervious, and there was a lot of suspense, but Koontz gave most of the story away early on. The character Vassago, who renamed himself after dying, then resuscitated and returned to the living, chose that specific name because it was one of the crowned princes from Hell. Vassago, his ...more
Sezin Koehler
Once I realised that I needed a break from the insanity of National Novel Writing Month, I plucked this one off my shelf because I hadn't re-read it in over 10 years and also because it is set in Southern California, one of the places in which American Monsters Book II takes places.

"Hideaway" is fantastic! Written before Koontz started writing these very insipid novels, this one is full of gruesome events, well-written, and a really interesting story that brings up lots of questions of the natu
Craig
Worst. Ending. Ever.
The beginning was okay but it slowly got worse from there. About two thirds through there is an unnecessarily long car/foot chase, (50-70 pages) from the suburbs to the outskirts of a city followed by an abrupt and silly conclusion within a paragraph during the showdown. I really cannot convey how furious I am after reading this nonsense.
As a bonus the edition I had contained a new afterword by Koontz. I had hoped he would apologize or offer some kind of explanation for such
Jason Sullivan
This book took a long time to get going and it wasn't until a little over half way through that it started getting somewhat interesting. The story did get redundant at times when the author would describe something through Vessago eyes and then describe the same thing through Hatch's eyes. There were also a few holes in the story, for example, when Hatch was searching his home for an intruder and in the garage he sees a footprint on the hood of the car, he looks up and sees the doorway into the ...more
Tom
Ok I guess my faith in Mr. KOONTZ has been restored. Loved this book. Nice ending that made sense. Something that I felt was lacking in a lot of his books. So I guess I put a few more titles in the old tbr pile.
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T ...more
Charity
This is my first Dean Koontz book and it was an interesting experience. The (new) afterward is hilarious, showcasing the author's sense of humor and outrage over the botched film adaptation of his book.

The novel itself takes awhile to go anywhere; Koontz has a decent voice and a grasp of characters. Regina, the child heroine around which much of the later plot pivots, is a truly magnificent, engaging, charming, and delightful kid. Sadly, it takes awhile to meet her -- chapters upon chapters deta
Gloria Johnson
I'm on a mission to read all of Koontz's novels. This one was written quite a while back, but I hadn't read it. Once again, I am impressed with his magic with words/language. His descriptions are so vivid that you can see/hear/smell what he is detailing. The characters were very interesting, and the plot moved along rapidly, holding my attention throughout. I really enjoyed the book, though it is not for the squeamish.
Barbara
Un thriller/horror che affascina e tiene con il fiato sospeso.
Complice l'ottima scrittura, le riflessioni per nulla scontate e affascinanti sulla natura del male e della vita, protagonisti che non si lasciano mai cogliere impreparati e un cattivo davvero particolare.
Vassago richiama un po' il canone del vampiro senza però esserlo, come un vampiro si nutre di morte, vive al buio ed è sensibilissimo alla luce. Ma non è un reietto qualunque, dotato di un piano ben preciso e dell'intelligenza necess
Walker
Well, I liked most of this book. Or, at least a good chunk of it. The characters are well fleshed out and there is certainly a superbly crafted tension that keeps you turning the pages. However, the last 100 pages or so escalate triumphantly towards a finish that just falls flat.

I'm agnostic, but I enjoy reading religious and spiritual stories. This one kept its preachy nature subdued enough throughout the bulk of its length, letting the characters and imagery lead the way. I was entrenched in
Dominic Dayta
It's not literary, but it's good. It's an enjoyable read (feel free to skip his grocery-list descriptions, though). The big reveal at the end was shocking for me (won't give out any spoilers), and pretty much the whole thing from the middle to the end of the book was one hell of a thrill ride that I finished them in one sitting. To hell with homework, chores, or any other thing I've got to do.

I kind of like Dean Koontz's style in this book. Sure, he sounds like someone who reads a lot of Stephen
Heather
This book was really drawn out! It was a "ok" story but the way he describes even the color of a car bored me. Why he just cant say it was red is beyond me. Instead the car was the brilliant redish tint of a freshly picked apple that had been washed by the summers rays on a hot summer day! I can only take so much of that...
Rachel
this book is vintage dean koontz- great characters, a fast moving and suspenseful plot and an epic showdown of good vs evil. i've loved dean's books since the 90's and continue to be amazed by his imaginative novels. if your new to this talented author or if your a long time fan like myself you'll love this book.
Kathy
This is another great book by Koontz! I am more of a fan with each book that I read! This tells the story of a man who dies in a horrible accident. But thanks to the wisdom and talent of a certain doctor, he is able to be brought back. But he doesn't come back alone. I will leave it there. Highly recommended!
Gary Smith
This was a good book I completely forgot about. A classic good vs. evil tale with a somewhat realistic storyline. A good read for young adults, and perhaps adults (I just might read this one again).
  • Shadowfires
  • The Mask
  • Shattered
  • The Voice of the Night
  • The Door to December
  • Fear that Man / Toyman (Ace Double, 23140)
  • Invasion (Laser Books, #9)
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Dance with the Devil
  • Sleepwalk

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms