Hideaway

Hideaway

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  21,181 ratings  ·  327 reviews
He was clinically dead after the accident-but was miraculously revived. Now Hatch Harrison and his wife approach each day with a new appreciation for life. But something has come back with Hatch from the other side. A terrible presence that links his mind to a psychotic's, so that a force of murderous rage courses through him.
Published July 5th 2005 by Berkley Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Hideaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hideaway

Miik
Jun 20, 2008 Miik rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No
Recommended to Miik by: Jerks
Koontz blows.
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Oh my. Another Dean Koontz novel. Everytime I pick one of his books up I know four or five things are going to happen.

1º There's always a puppy (in this one there wasn't - which surprised me)
2º The main characters are always perfect. They are always knights in shinning armour. They have no faults whatsoever. (In this book it was true)
3º The Evil doer is always Chaotic Evil. If this was Dungeons and Dragons the guy was that one guy that chaotic evil characters are afraid of. He is that evil.
I loved the characterization in this book. I have found that on the surface, Dean Koontz may appear to be a shallow, mass producer of books, but as I read more of them I realize how well-developed many of his characters are. He has a strong theme of the battle between good and evil in many of his books that I find I really enjoy. I particularly liked the big reveal at the end of this book that explained why the mian character Hatch was able to channel the demon Vassago. There was a movie made of...more
John
Koontz's novels range anywhere from awful to brilliant. After reading a couple of his more mediocre ones in high school, I had pretty much written him off as a poor man's Stephen King and moved on to other horror writers like Clive Barker and H.P. Lovecraft. Hideaway, though, showcases Koontz at the height of his talent, and it's a surprisingly powerful, intensely gruesome read. I decided to give it a chance--partly because I found it at a thrift shop for less than a dollar, and partly because I...more
Briana Patterson
Dean Koontz doing what he always does best. That's the impression that I was left with after reading this book. I enjoy the style and his ability to step out beyond the lines of what you might expect. Some of his stuff comes off as almost absurd, like an element of science fiction or fantasy dropping into what seemed to be a avereage modern society setting.

Hideaway is no exception to this.

However, I find that sometimes find that Koontz isn't quite at his best. I said this is what he does best,...more
Maciek
Hideaway continues the ongoing theme of Koontz's fiction: Good vs Evil. And if you've read some Koontz before, you know his stance.

To give the man some credit, the novel does open with a bang: a car accident that's vividly written and riveting, and almost justifies all the praise this work has received. But after the first 100 or so pages Hideaway looses it's appeal; even the excessive gore cannot overshadow Koontz's usual clumsy characterization and terrible dialogue. Koontz excessively draws o...more
Mark R.
I read a lot of Dean Koontz's books when I was in high school. In the past few years, I've read a few, and they usually keep my interest. His novels feature a lot of similar scenes and scenarios (frequently an evil serial killer trying to track down a protagonist who's all heart, though with a possibly tortured past, and often a friendly canine companion), and some are great, some are OK, but they're never boring.

"Hideaway" was the first of his that I read, when I was fourteen, and has always be...more
Rayroy
I read this in high school, I guess Dean Koontz is a good author if you haven't read the likes of John Steinbeck, Don Delillo, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Coupland,Cormac McCrathy, Ken Kesey,or Martin Amis, to name a few. If you only get your books at airport gift shops, and you read mostly the likes of Janet Evanovich, John Grisham and Harlan Coban, what I would like to call the blockbuster writers, the Jason Bays and John Carpenters of the literature world. Writers that write for the big players,...more
TQM Doctor
I've read this book many times but now that I'm a bit older (40's), I am a bit turned off by the incredible amount of evil exposed in this book by Koontz spending so much time in the mind of the demonic villain. Koontz uses a balance formula when he creates his "good" and "bad" characters. The contrast of the extremely evil encourages me to no only side with the good guy but to empathize to much a greater degree. An interesting book but not for the weak of spirit.
Bridget
Wow.

Every time I read another Koontz book, I'm bowled over by the fact that HE GETS IT. He sees the supernatural in everything and everyone. He not only rejects the material consequences of evil ideas, but their very roots. In Koontz's worlds, as in real life, something is evil not because its fruit is rotten; its fruit is rotten because it is evil.

Now to more specific stuff. If you want to read a vampire story written for people with more than half a brain, this is it. Technically, the bad guy...more
Graham
I'm quite ambivalent towards Dean Koontz. I've read a few of his books, and while I find them pretty readable and straightforward, none of them have truly blown me away and left me wanting more. The last one I tried was THE HUSBAND, so I decided to go back to one of his earlier titles, the early-'90s effort, HIDEAWAY.

This is a book with plenty of flaws and detractions, but some truly compelling stuff hidden within the pages too. It starts off on a sour note, with an exceptionally long winded des...more
Nenette
This is only the second Koontz novel that I've read and already, I am awed by his creativity, very much in agreement with the observation that stories such as this "could come only from the mind of Dean Koontz".

I would have given it a higher rating if not for the quite too early revelations on the identity of the antagonist. I also found this to be true with Whispers. Just the same, he did not totally disappoint.... Even with such revelations, one would still plow ahead with the story to find ou...more
Athena
I knew even before I got to the middle of this book that I would rate it two stars. In the beginning, when the drowning scene occurs, the story had a chance; the characters were well developed and the details were impervious, and there was a lot of suspense, but Koontz gave most of the story away early on. The character Vassago, who renamed himself after dying, then resuscitated and returned to the living, chose that specific name because it was one of the crowned princes from Hell. Vassago, his...more
Sezin Koehler
Once I realised that I needed a break from the insanity of National Novel Writing Month, I plucked this one off my shelf because I hadn't re-read it in over 10 years and also because it is set in Southern California, one of the places in which American Monsters Book II takes places.

"Hideaway" is fantastic! Written before Koontz started writing these very insipid novels, this one is full of gruesome events, well-written, and a really interesting story that brings up lots of questions of the natu...more
Craig
Worst. Ending. Ever.
The beginning was okay but it slowly got worse from there. About two thirds through there is an unnecessarily long car/foot chase, (50-70 pages) from the suburbs to the outskirts of a city followed by an abrupt and silly conclusion within a paragraph during the showdown. I really cannot convey how furious I am after reading this nonsense.
As a bonus the edition I had contained a new afterword by Koontz. I had hoped he would apologize or offer some kind of explanation for such...more
Tom
Ok I guess my faith in Mr. KOONTZ has been restored. Loved this book. Nice ending that made sense. Something that I felt was lacking in a lot of his books. So I guess I put a few more titles in the old tbr pile.
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T...more
Gloria Johnson
I'm on a mission to read all of Koontz's novels. This one was written quite a while back, but I hadn't read it. Once again, I am impressed with his magic with words/language. His descriptions are so vivid that you can see/hear/smell what he is detailing. The characters were very interesting, and the plot moved along rapidly, holding my attention throughout. I really enjoyed the book, though it is not for the squeamish.
Dominic Dayta
It's not literary, but it's good. It's an enjoyable read (feel free to skip his grocery-list descriptions, though). The big reveal at the end was shocking for me (won't give out any spoilers), and pretty much the whole thing from the middle to the end of the book was one hell of a thrill ride that I finished them in one sitting. To hell with homework, chores, or any other thing I've got to do.

I kind of like Dean Koontz's style in this book. Sure, he sounds like someone who reads a lot of Stephen...more
Heather
This book was really drawn out! It was a "ok" story but the way he describes even the color of a car bored me. Why he just cant say it was red is beyond me. Instead the car was the brilliant redish tint of a freshly picked apple that had been washed by the summers rays on a hot summer day! I can only take so much of that...
Kathy
This is another great book by Koontz! I am more of a fan with each book that I read! This tells the story of a man who dies in a horrible accident. But thanks to the wisdom and talent of a certain doctor, he is able to be brought back. But he doesn't come back alone. I will leave it there. Highly recommended!
Gary Smith
This was a good book I completely forgot about. A classic good vs. evil tale with a somewhat realistic storyline. A good read for young adults, and perhaps adults (I just might read this one again).
Maerhys
The only thing worse than reading an awful book is reading an awful book twice. I don't recommend it. There's so much wrong with this one that I can do little more than say that it's all downhill after the first well-written scene.

The Koontz-as-Hatch diatribe about adoption restrictions had me shaking my head. If Koontz had his way, we'd all be reading more about kids being given away to pedophiles without nary a worry of trouble with police. I count myself fortunate that I didn't get his feeli...more
Cynfully Sweet
the afterword was the best part
Barks & Bites
I first read Hideaway when I was able to waste away an entire day reading and I remember loving it to bits. This time around I listened to it on audio because I can’t keep up with new releases, never mind re-reads. It held up pretty good for a reread but Odd Thomas still remains my favorite novel by Koontz.

Hideaway starts out with a little back story, character development and a lot of action. We are introduced to Hutch and Lindsay, a married couple slowly getting over a devastating heartbreak,...more
Parecklis

The book I’m reviewing is a marvelous horror, fiction called Hideaway. The author of this book is Dean R. Koontz. The moral lessons are, there are crazy people out there, so you shouldn’t leave with anyone you don’t know. The other lesson is if you ever feel like there is something wrong, like feeling like your nightmares are real you NEED to tell your doctor.
This book is about Lindsey and Hatch who gets into a serious car crash that throws them into an icy river. Lindsey manages to stay consc...more
Johnny
Johnny
  • Shadow Fires
  • The Funhouse
  • Three Complete Novels: Shattered / Whispers / Watchers
  • Dragonfly
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Sleepwalk
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Predators
  • Astronauts Wife
  • In the Dark
  • Mr. X

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na...more
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms