Start by marking “Betrayed: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Betrayed: A Novel

Betrayed: A Novel (Butch Karp #22)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Awaiting trial in the Tombs, Manhattan’s infamous criminal detention complex, is Sharif Jabbar, the demagogic founder of a Harlem mosque. Charges against his terrorist attack on the city were dismissed once, and now that the Islam convert is being held on new allegations, New York District Attorney Roger “Butch” Karp is determined to bring him down. He faces formidable com ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 6th 2010 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Betrayed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayed

Joy
Well, on many levels this was entertaining, but I'm not sure the author meant to be amusing as often as he was. Let me start by saying I am a newcomer to Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi and their merry band of cohorts. It is probably both positive and challenging to engage at this point.

Let me start with the positive piece; once the plot took off I really enjoyed myself and watching a clearly skillful author weave the ends together was fun. I liked the character of Dirty Warren and thought he was
Viccy
Say what you will about Robert Tanenbaum and hyperbole aside, the stories he tells are wildly entertaining. Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi should both be wearing red, white and blue tights, flying through the air to the tune of "Look, up in the air, it's a bird...." This time around, Butch, in his capacity as District Attorney for Manhattan, is trying an alleged Islamic terrorist and Marlene is working to save their friend, Warren Bennet, better known as Dirty Warren because of his Tourette's twi ...more
Ed
#22 in the NYC DA "Butch" Karp & Marlene Ciampi series. This 2010 entry is unfortunately #7 in the arc of terrorism (first domestic, then Islamic) started in Hoax (2004). Series regulars will recognize regular character Dirty Warren as the newsstand owner with Tourette's Syndrome and applaud the segment of the novel dealing with Marlene's defense of him.

NYC DA "Butch" Karp & Marlene Ciampi series - Butch is prosecuting Sharif Jabbar for the torture / murder of a young woman. Marlene def
Eric
Oy. I used to love the Karp-Ciampi series (this is somewhere around the 22nd entry). It was like Law & Order with colorful characters and more action.

Somewhere along the line the dialogue became drier and more expository than burned toast. (Yes, toast can be expository.) The good guys practically have wings and halos and float six inches off the ground; the bad guys are laughably, cartoonishly evil and often buffoonishly incompetent.

Used to be a fun series, with at least the occasional ATTEM
Jean
I have been a faithful reader of the Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi series but I may give it up after this weak (and irritating) effort. It took Tanenbaum a full 50 pages to rehash previous novels and introduce his cast of characters. Not much new here and the new plot lines were neither exciting or compelling. The courtroom scenes are good, as usual, but one of the trials was of a villian captured in a previous book and yet another opportunity to review past events. All of this may be good for reade ...more
Peter
this book is a lawyer mystery with the most interesting of characters. ithink you would probably have to read the book bnfore this one to understand all that takes place..this book is still a stand alone book that in my opinion if you like this genre it is a very good read... i gave it four stars maybe it should have been four and a half...
Joyce
Two trials, one with Butch Karp officiating with a militant terrorist, the other with Marlene Ciampi defending Dirty Warren on a murder charge in the suburbs. Typical Tanenbaum plot twists, but this time it's more of a return to the original Butch and Marlene rather than the extended family. A great summer's read.
Mark
Like comfort food, it is always satisfying to return to the Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi family...the installment has Butch putting the nails in the coffin of a radical terrorist on trial and Ciampi derfending Dirty Warren of murder...the political insights on a variety of issues also entertain...VERY SATISFYING!!!
Jeff Dickison
Okay, but nothing to shout about. To me, Tanenbaum has gotten fairly formulistic. Some of his recurring characters are more irritating than interesting, and I agree with another reviewer that it is time to give up the terroristic nonsense. Having said that, there was some excitement and a nice last line.
Lynn
Robert Tanenbaum has a point of view, and he never misses an opportunity to hit you over the head with it. I found some of his sections about the law to be pedantic. Nevertheless, he's a good writer and Butch Karp and his wife Marlene are great characters. The mystery in this one was really good.
Elli
Fast action, finely crafted plot. There were xome holes in the situations and characters. Things were either too too good or too too bad. A little bit too far into an unreality. Yet that didn't stop me from being reluctant to put the book down until I finished the final page!
Brian Cowie
Tanenbaum's latest Karp novel failed to deliver on several points. While the premise made for an interesting read his tendancy to digress into an almost 'preachy' dialogue over issues like America's right to bear arms and Muslim traditions took away from an otherwise adequate novel
Tim
Robert Tanenbaum is a much better writer when he sticks less with black muslims and more with, "fixers, blackmailers, torettes syndrome, murderers and vigilantes!" Too bad to much emphasis is placed on muslims and not enough on the other excellent plots. 5 of 10 stars
Carolyn
Still a page-turner, but after 22 books in this series, I am finding them pretty predictable as well as having to spend quite a bit of time on the backstory, all of which I know. Three more in the series. I think I'll wait a while before going on with it.
Lynne
It may be time for Tannenbaum to weed out a few of his recurring characters. Oh, and maybe quit already with the terrorism scare stuff. I think it is totally acceptable for him to just have a good old-fashioned murder case now and again.
James
I'm always up for a Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi saga. I've fallen behind the ins and outs of the Karp family, Lucy is grown up, married and working for some secret agency. The twins were barely mentioned. Still, Betrayed was a great read.
Sherree
I had almost stopped reading Tanenbaum's books, because I felt like I was reading the same one over and over. I'm glad I read this one, though. It was nice to read one that didn't have a member of the Karp-Ciampi clan in mortal danger.
Kristin
This is one of my favorite series, but I felt like something was missing on this one. The plot was great, but I missed the interaction between Butch and Marlene and the kids. Loved learning more about Dirty Warren though.
Dawn
This book got better as it went along...didn't realize it was part of a series of the same characters so I was starting anew but it was entertaining. Not very realistic from a legal perspective but it was something different.
Jenene
I love every single one of the characters in this series. From David Grale and the mole people who live under the subway to Marlene Ciampi, the wife who has learned to ask for help defending abused women!
Wendy
Title is actually Betrayed,notBetrayal. Actually, would rate it 3 and a half stars. Interesting book,still focused around terrorism, but shorter and I enjoyed it more than recent efforts.
Hrn1947
Not bad, but after waiting this long. I expected more.The usual list of charactures are mentioned, but it's a Marlene book. Also the part about Goldie and the assesian was pretty hokey.
Katherine
I enjoy his books. But it does help if you have read the previous books. I like this book.
I don't like the swearing and taking God's name in vain. So much talent wasted by cheap words.
Jim Meyer
...book by book I become a bigger fan of Roger (Butch) Karp and his band of characters...last 1/2 of the story moved so fast I could hardly stay up with it!!!
Mikeegan43
I've read every one of the books in this series. Great story, incredible characters. I'm tempted to go on a paperback spree and get all of them.
Tracy Dickson
I was so bored with the retelling of the backstory for about twenty different characters that I stopped reading and moved on to another book.
Caroline
Typical Karp book but a little more strident in its tone. Some plots were solved so randomly that I hope the next book explains them more.
Ronald Howell
Another great Karp/Ciampi novel. Tanenbaum continues with some great characters and stories.
Amy
I really like all his books, like the exploration of how we try terrorists in this modern age.
JodiP
This book was so laughable in its poor characterization and cartoonish plot. I didn't finish it.
  • The Spire
  • Trader Of Secrets (Paul Madriani, #12)
  • Suspects
  • Hidden Charges
  • Double Jeopardy
  • The Hunted
  • The Copper Bracelet
  • Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly, #13)
  • Falcon Seven
  • Next of Kin
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • The Legacy
  • The Sniper's Wife (Joe Gunther #13)
  • Rizzo's War (Joe Rizzo, #1)
  • The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride, #6)
  • Most Wanted
  • Robert B. Parker's Damned If You Do (Jesse Stone, #12)
  • Queen of the Night (Walker Family, #4)
Robert K. Tanenbaum is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-five legal thrillers and has an accomplished legal career of his own. Before his first book was published, Tanenbaum had already been the Bureau Chief of the Criminal Courts, had run the Homicide Bureau, and had been in charge of the training program for the legal staff for the New York County District Attorney’s Office. He als ...more
More about Robert K. Tanenbaum...

Butch Karp (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp, #2)
  • Immoral Certainty (Butch Karp, #3)
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • Material Witness (Butch Karp, #5)
  • Corruption of Blood (Butch Karp, #6)
  • Justice Denied (Butch Karp, #7)
  • Falsely Accused (Butch Karp, #8)
  • Irresistible Impulse (Butch Karp, #9)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4) No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1) Absolute Rage (Butch Karp, #14) Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10) True Justice (Butch Karp, #12)