Start by marking “Life, Liberty, and Pursuit” as Want to Read:
Life, Liberty, and Pursuit

Life, Liberty, and Pursuit

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Love is sudden, fierce, and full of choices ...

When college-bound Eliza falls into a cruise-ship pool, she doesn't expect to fall in love. And when navy recruit David pulls her from the water, he finds her surprisingly hard to resist. But a whirlwind of rescues, candlelit nights, and beachside misunderstandings pulls them into a four-day love affair that threatens to break
Published (first published June 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Life, Liberty, and Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life, Liberty, and Pursuit

Sam Certainly Can by Bridgitte LesleyThe Art of Lainey by Paula StokesThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldSalem Falls by Jodi Picoult
Fluffy Beach Reads
11th out of 36 books — 62 voters
Grasping at Eternity by Karen Amanda HooperBound by C.K. BryantCross My Heart by Katie KleinExiled by RaShelle WorkmanHow to Date an Alien by Magan Vernon
The Indelibles Awesome YA Novels
28th out of 40 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Lane
Sweet and Satisfying YA Romance!

Susan Kaye Quinn has created a warm, wet world in her debut novel Life, Liberty, and Pursuit. Eliza and David meet when he rescues her from falling into a swimming pool, and they continue to have cruise ship adventures on their whirlwind romance until they're faced with the saddening prospect of a long-distance relationship. Susan keeps the reader in suspense the entire novel about what choices Eliza and David will make in navigating their murky future.

At first I
Karen
Here's what I liked about Life, Liberty and Pursuit by Susan Kaye Quinn:

* The two main characters-- David and Eliza-- are extremely likable and realistic. I found myself thinking about them at odd times during the day like they were real people. Always a good sign meaning the characters have gotten inside one's skin.

* David has a Polish heritage, speaks with a slight accent, and sometimes uses Polish words in his speech. A nice touch.

* Never having read a book set on a cruise ship that didn't in
Natalie
I received a copy of Life, Liberty, and Pursuit for review from Omnific Publishing. A huge thanks goes out to them for giving me the chance to read and review this book!

This book first caught my attention a few weeks ago when I saw the author post about it on Twitter. A few days later, I ended up getting a review request, and, since the description sounded interesting, I decided to give it a shot!

My first impression was rather good: exciting things were happening right off the bat. However, I fo
S.A. Larsen
I am a visual person. Book covers do influence me. When I first saw the cover of LIFE, LIBERTY,AND PURSUIT, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. But it grew on me, encapsulating the story to a greater degree than I could have imagined. It fits; it really does.

This story was a pleasure to read. The writing was easy to read, and had a poignant almost poetic flow to it. Scenes were ordered for a quick pace which made the story hard to put away at times. It didn't have or need any big, bad villians
Heather McCorkle
I read this several months back and completely forgot to put up a review. This is fun, light-hearted read that is perfect for that week at the lake-side cabin, the beach, or just a night at home. The relationship between Eliza and David had me swept up with them.
Laura YA indie princess
this book is awesome it had me from the 1st page i could not stop reading it.I loved all the people in the story and david in his navy uniform yummy :0) a YA version of Dear John but with a happy ending. Defo a to read again book.
Debra Anastasia
You will totally fall for David and Eliza! A wonderful summer read with heart and excitement. I highly recommend you put this one on your kindle!
Deniz
A sweet love-at-first-sight YA romance - what's not to enjoy?
Cydnie
My friend Joey won this on Goodreads and let me borrow it.

Things I liked:
1. Quick romantic read. [Brain candy:]
2. The side characters almost more than the main two.
3. The fact that David and Eliza realized that they really didn't know very much about each other, and their 'true love' needed more of a base.
4. David makes a conscious decision to keep their relationship chaste. He and Eliza refer to this a couple of times. THANK YOU!!
4. When a foreign phrase, or word, was used - the author included
Margo Berendsen
The author calls this a sweet teen romance, and that's exactly what it is. It's about two young people falling in love at first sight. I am personally a believer in true love at first sight, though if you are a skeptic you might struggle with this book. It starts with a whirl-wind four day romance on a Caribbean cruise ship, and the chapters alternate between the two main characters' point of views: David and Eliza. Because you get both point of views, the book utterly immerses you in the feelin ...more
Mel
I don’t read a lot of straight romance – some chick-lit when I fancy something light and frothy and some paranormal romance when I fancy a little more risqué. So this contemporary romance, an e-book I won from Missy at The Unread Reader a while ago, was a change of pace for me. It was another holiday read and the perfect book to chill out with by the pool – especially as the book starts with the main characters on a holiday cruise!

David is a strong man but not an over the top alpha man. Eliza i
Carie
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Thanks!!

It’s more of a 3.5 for me, but I actually really enjoyed the story. It’s kind of a gentle book, without too much conflict, but it held my interest and kept me reading. I really liked the characters--Eliza, David, and the minor characters, too.--and I felt for their dilemmas and hopes. I also enjoyed the steamy, sexy parts, though there wasn’t anything too objectionable here (actually lots of restraint!). The parts on the cruise were p
LuAnn
Eliza’s mother and new stepfather decide to take a cruise and invite her along before she heads off to college. As she stands on the deck enjoying the view of the ocean, she spots a very attractive young man near the rail. When he turns and looks her way, she quickly backs into the shadows, falling into the pool.

David is on the cruise with his family and sees a pretty young woman standing on the deck late at night. When she backs into the pool, he rushes over to find her floundering. He jumps in
Joey
Aug 05, 2010 Joey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all of my friends
Recommended to Joey by: my new friend, susan
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this book - and the fact that I won it off of Goodreads makes it all that much better!

It has been so long since I've read a purely romance based novel. I'm usually drawn to the paranormal with lots of vampires and witches and werewolves but this book really kept my interested and invested me in the characters.

A book about first real love and how it doesn't matter if you only just met, when its right, its right! Eliza and David meet on a cruise ship - both there with family as a
Kassandria
I won this book off of Goodreads first reads from the wonderful author, Ms. Susan Kaye Quinn. I had some mixed feelings about this one, I liked it, but didn't love it. What I liked about the story was how it was just one of those books that leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling if you are a total romantic, like me. One of those really sweet romances that made me just want to go awwwww.

However, as I said before I liked this book, but didn't completely love it. One thing about this book that I wasn'
Angieleigh
I received a review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest review as part of their summer reading tour.

I chose to read this book as the synopsis really caught my attention. Can you imagine being on a cruise and falling in love with a hot guy after he saves your life?

I have to say that the only thing I didn't really "like" about this book is that it seemed to go on and on without really getting anywhere and then jumped to something else.

David and Eliza are strong main characters, tho
Emily
Georgiann Hennelly
A sweet young adult romance about two people David and Eliza they meet on a Caribbean cruise ship.It,s a whirl wind four day romance. Eliza is going away to college and David into the service. This is a long distance romance and i liked how the characters handled being apart. The letters and text messages made me feel part of the story.T he issues they face with the long distance relationship are realistic. The characters are well written. I look forward to reading more books by Susan K. Quinn.
Maureen
A quick read with a happy love story. The characters in this book pulled me into the storyline and I had a hard time putting it down. While there wasn't anything overly dramatic about the plot and most could probably see where the story would go, the book felt as if you were being told a story while spending time with your best friends. There's nothing wrong with that in my mind. You'll find yourself torn on how you want the story to unravel and cheer the characters on along on the way.
Mell
Wanted to like this, but could not get into the main characters, who (for me) read like junior high kids. Their romance felt like a junior high drama, too- a daring pool rescue, falling in love in four days, and lots of angsty "oh, he can't be interested in me!" waffling. (Really- they shut off all the lights on a cruise ship's deck and just leave big, open pools unattended for people to fall into?)

Other folks seemed to love it, but not the right book for me.
Amanda
I read this book like a young adult novel, but the characters were out of high school and going into the Navy... so for me, it seemed a little young in the writing style.
As far as story goes, this was nothing over the top, but a cute little romance story with a lot of fluff. There weren't overly angst filled issues or lessons to be learned. I thought that this book was a fast read that filled the purpose of an afternoon stuck inside.
Victoria
I liked this book from the very beginning. Any book that talks about navy men in uniform...I am in. Loved David and his confidence. But he also showed vulnerability when it came to his relationship with Eliza which most men in love experience. I liked the path that Eliza chose for herself...I thought it was smart of her.

I really liked the side characters especially Clayton.

This story left me wanting more.
TheBookVixen
It was a cute YA romance but I wasn't feeling the love at first sight relationship between David and Eliza. It was cute how they met (he rescues her) but to fall in love in 4 days? Then they have the challenge of having a long distance relationship.

The ending felt inconclusive. This is the kind of book where I expect there to be an epilogue but there wasn’t. I was actually expecting there to be one.
Brianne
I enjoyed this cute romance. This was a quick comfy easy read. I was instantly pulled into the story, and my interest was held through out the entire book. What I enjoyed most was the decision that Eliza made and how it sends a great message to younger readers.

Life Liberty and Pursuit was a cute, clean fun contemporary read. 4 out of 5 stars
Sherrie Petersen
This sweet story of first love brought a smile to my face and sent my heart racing more than a few times. Quinn manages to capture the intense yearning of young love and infuses her romantic scenes with ample amounts of sizzle. I seriously needed a shower after a few of those passages! Great beach blanket reading.
Amy
Eliza and David had a relationship that seemed to good to be true with no way to work out. But their story was sweet and you had to respect the decisions that they made not only for themselves but each other. Clayton and Tea were funny and their relationship was so sudden but I was rooting for them too.
Bernadette
I found it slow and then rushed. Not focusing on anything in particular made it pointless. I would have enjoyed this as chick lit if it had meaning. Or maybe I just didn't get it? If the struggle of long distance relationships were it, well, it wasn't done well.
Mindy
This was a nice book. I really liked David. I did feel like the stalker guy was forced. But I really liked it when the concentrated on David's and Eliza's relationship, though the immediate connection for long-lasting love seemed unbelievable.
Bklover08-Valerie
I enjoyed this story, and am looking forward to reading the next book. The characters were likable and the resolution to the story was very satisfying! This is not deep reading, but enjoyable fluff - overall a nice, quick read.
Felicia (felso)
This was a sweet read. More for the YA audience, though. Story about two young people making decisions about life and love after high school/college.

• Three Daves
  • Once Upon A Temptation
  • Indivisible
  • Passion Fish
  • Pieces of Us
  • Fourteen
  • Weight of the World (Old Wounds, #3)
  • Take the Cake
  • The Darkness of Perfection
  • Starlight (Starlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Live In Position
  • Welcome to Drama Academy
  • Black and White
  • Living Backwards
  • The Way That You Play It
  • The Billionaire Bum
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
  • Whirlwind
CLICK HERE for a FREE STORY

YOUNG ADULT SCIENCE FICTION
Singularity Series
The Legacy Human (Singularity 1)

Mindjack Saga
Open Minds (Mindjack #1)
Closed Hearts (Mindjack #2)
Free Souls (Mindjack #3)
WATCH the award-winning live-action Mindjack Book Trailer!

STEAMPUNK FANTASY ROMANCE
Third Daughter (The Dharian Affairs #1)
Second Daughter (The Dharian Affairs #2)
First Daughter (The Dharian Affairs #3)

ADULT U
More about Susan Kaye Quinn...
Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy, #1) Closed Hearts (Mindjack Trilogy, #2) Free Souls (Mindjack Trilogy, #3) Mind Games (Mindjack Origins, #1) Delirium (Debt Collector,  #1)