Winning Chess Tactics, revised

Winning Chess Tactics, revised

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The essential guide to the use of tactics, the watchdogs of strategy that take advantage of short-term opportunities to trap or ambush an opponent and change the course of a game in a single move.
Published May 1st 2005 by Everyman Chess (first published 1992)

Ethan
May 10, 2010 Ethan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows how to play chess
A good solid foundation of the tactics of Chess. I have finished reading it, but I still am going to go back and solve all of the problems, many of which I just skipped knowing that I would get back to it soon.
Pedro
An excellent INTRODUCTION to tactics. Clear and easy to understand for those new to chess. I would not recommend the book to intermediate players.
Steve
Jan 26, 2010 Steve is currently reading it
This book has some great tactical training. Well written book from Yasser Seirawan and Jeremy Silman.
Owen Lindsell
I love this series. Yasser is a good chess author and doesn't get too embroiled in explaining every varition.
Carl Stevens
This has definitely helped my game. It is one of those books you don't really read, but rather work through one study at a time. I now see the board in a different way which helps me with Thaddeus Barlow, the wizard detective and author of They Call Me Merlin Sherlock, who has a 133 years more experience with chess than I do.
Steve
Read this with a board in front of you, and when you finish a chapter, take the test positions seriously. Set up positions and try to solve them WITHOUT TOUCHING PIECES. Do this through the *entire book* and enjoy how much sharper a chess player you've become.
Dylan
Jul 23, 2013 Dylan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: chess
A good introduction to the different types of tactics in chess. Some of the reviews of the games require a chess board to easily follow all of the moves and it seems like a video reviewing the games move by move would be much easier to follow.
Jim Kennedy
An excellent and thorough (it seemed to me) introduction to chess tactics. It has really started me thinking about chess in a far more constructive manner, and my rating is improving because of this.

Next - his book on strategy ... :)
William Herbst
The best volume in this introductory chess series. Beginners should practice their tactics and ignore the rest until later.
Mingo Johnson
Feb 15, 2012 Mingo Johnson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to all chess players who want to improve their skill.
Shelves: chess
So far, its a great book to improve chess tactics. I'm learning a lot.
Shaswat Tripathi
Shaswat Tripathi marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Asurik
Asurik marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Divesh Kumar
Divesh Kumar marked it as to-read
Bhasker
Bhasker marked it as to-read
Oneil
Oneil added it
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Ne
Ne marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Cliff
Cliff marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
  • The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery
  • My System
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess
  • How Life Imitates Chess: Making the Right Moves, from the Board to the Boardroom
  • Bobby Fischer Goes to War : How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time
  • Searching for Bobby Fischer: The Father of a Prodigy Observes the World of Chess
  • The Kings of New York: A Year Among the Geeks, Oddballs, and Geniuses Who Make Up America's Top High School Chess Team
  • Chess For Dummies
  • Birth of the Chess Queen: A History
  • The Turk: The Life and Times of the Famous Eighteenth-Century Chess-Playing Machine
  • The Complete Prophecies of Nostradamus
  • The Motley Fool You Have More Than You Think: The Foolish Guide to Personal Finance
  • Takedown: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's Most Wanted Computer Outlaw - By the Man Who Did It
  • Zugzwang
  • CSS Cookbook
Play Winning Chess Winning Chess Strategies, revised Winning Chess Openings Winning Chess Endings Winning Chess Brilliancies