Start by marking “Winning Chess Tactics, revised” as Want to Read:
Winning Chess Tactics, revised

Winning Chess Tactics, revised

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The essential guide to the use of tactics, the watchdogs of strategy that take advantage of short-term opportunities to trap or ambush an opponent and change the course of a game in a single move.
Published May 1st 2005 by Everyman Chess (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Winning Chess Tactics, revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning Chess Tactics, revised

Murilo Andrade
Another nice book by Seirawan. Well written and very easy to digest, even for novice/amateur.

As a passionated by tactics, I appreciated all of it, specially the wide variety of exercises at the end of each chapters and the book.

It is well divided, beginning with commonly Attack Tactics ( skewer, pin, deflection, double attack, battery, etc) and ending with Draws, and more "defensive" tactics.

The second part of the book has some of the great tacticians of all time. Morphy, Tal, Kasparov amongs
Ethan
May 10, 2010 Ethan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows how to play chess
A good solid foundation of the tactics of Chess. I have finished reading it, but I still am going to go back and solve all of the problems, many of which I just skipped knowing that I would get back to it soon.
Pedro
An excellent INTRODUCTION to tactics. Clear and easy to understand for those new to chess. I would not recommend the book to intermediate players.
Steve
Jan 26, 2010 Steve is currently reading it
This book has some great tactical training. Well written book from Yasser Seirawan and Jeremy Silman.
Owen Lindsell
I love this series. Yasser is a good chess author and doesn't get too embroiled in explaining every varition.
Rayyan Layth
An excellent & useful book.
Carl Stevens
This has definitely helped my game. It is one of those books you don't really read, but rather work through one study at a time. I now see the board in a different way which helps me with Thaddeus Barlow, the wizard detective and author of They Call Me Merlin Sherlock, who has a 133 years more experience with chess than I do.
Steve
Read this with a board in front of you, and when you finish a chapter, take the test positions seriously. Set up positions and try to solve them WITHOUT TOUCHING PIECES. Do this through the *entire book* and enjoy how much sharper a chess player you've become.
Dylan
Jul 23, 2013 Dylan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: chess
A good introduction to the different types of tactics in chess. Some of the reviews of the games require a chess board to easily follow all of the moves and it seems like a video reviewing the games move by move would be much easier to follow.
Jim Kennedy
An excellent and thorough (it seemed to me) introduction to chess tactics. It has really started me thinking about chess in a far more constructive manner, and my rating is improving because of this.

Next - his book on strategy ... :)
William Herbst
The best volume in this introductory chess series. Beginners should practice their tactics and ignore the rest until later.
Mingo Johnson
Feb 15, 2012 Mingo Johnson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to all chess players who want to improve their skill.
Shelves: chess
So far, its a great book to improve chess tactics. I'm learning a lot.
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Neeraj
Neeraj added it
Jul 29, 2015
Alex Schejn
Alex Schejn marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Abdulrahman Ali
Abdulrahman Ali marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Tariq Kadhum
Tariq Kadhum marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Rumbdeshkar
Rumbdeshkar marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
William Schram
William Schram marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Chess
Chess marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Steven Wayne
Steven Wayne marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Matt Barrington
Matt Barrington marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
  • The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery
  • My System
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • The Art of Attack in Chess
  • The Chess Artist: Genius, Obsession, and the World's Oldest Game
  • Modern Chess Openings: MCO-14 (McKay Chess Library)
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess
  • Lasker's Manual of Chess
  • Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes: Fifty Tantalizing Problems of Chess Detection
  • King's Gambit: A Son, a Father, and the World's Most Dangerous Game
  • Life & Games of Mikhail Tal
  • Modern Chess Strategy
  • Understanding Chess Move by Move
  • Pawn Structure Chess
  • Chess Strategy
  • Garry Kasparov on My Great Predecessors,  Part 1
Play Winning Chess Winning Chess Strategies, revised Winning Chess Openings Winning Chess Endings Winning Chess Brilliancies