Start by marking “Winning Chess Tactics, revised” as Want to Read:
Winning Chess Tactics, revised

Winning Chess Tactics, revised

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  336 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The essential guide to the use of tactics, the watchdogs of strategy that take advantage of short-term opportunities to trap or ambush an opponent and change the course of a game in a single move.
Published May 1st 2005 by Everyman Chess (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Winning Chess Tactics, revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning Chess Tactics, revised

Murilo Andrade
Sep 01, 2014 Murilo Andrade rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
Another nice book by Seirawan. Well written and very easy to digest, even for novice/amateur.

As a passionated by tactics, I appreciated all of it, specially the wide variety of exercises at the end of each chapters and the book.

It is well divided, beginning with commonly Attack Tactics ( skewer, pin, deflection, double attack, battery, etc) and ending with Draws, and more "defensive" tactics.

The second part of the book has some of the great tacticians of all time. Morphy, Tal, Kasparov amongs
Ethan
May 10, 2010 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows how to play chess
A good solid foundation of the tactics of Chess. I have finished reading it, but I still am going to go back and solve all of the problems, many of which I just skipped knowing that I would get back to it soon.
Pedro
Oct 04, 2010 Pedro rated it it was amazing
An excellent INTRODUCTION to tactics. Clear and easy to understand for those new to chess. I would not recommend the book to intermediate players.
Steve
Jan 26, 2010 Steve is currently reading it
This book has some great tactical training. Well written book from Yasser Seirawan and Jeremy Silman.
Owen Lindsell
Jun 05, 2009 Owen Lindsell rated it really liked it
I love this series. Yasser is a good chess author and doesn't get too embroiled in explaining every varition.
Carl
Feb 08, 2016 Carl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
Winning Chess Tactics is clearly and logically structured, building up through the different tactical techniques through to complex combinations of them at world class level. This is enjoyable to work through and never unnecessarily detailed, with just the right amount of information fed to you for the advice to sink in productively.

It is also attractively presented in a glossy medium-sized paperback format.

I have to recommend this book very highly, due to seeing a definite improvement in my res
Reza Taheri
Jun 01, 2016 Reza Taheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
in my opinion this is the go-to book for anyone who is going to start playing chess seriously. Even for intermediate players a quick look of the puzzles is highly recommended :)
Rayyan Layth
Dec 29, 2014 Rayyan Layth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess-books
An excellent & useful book.
Carl Stevens
Dec 05, 2013 Carl Stevens rated it it was amazing
This has definitely helped my game. It is one of those books you don't really read, but rather work through one study at a time. I now see the board in a different way which helps me with Thaddeus Barlow, the wizard detective and author of They Call Me Merlin Sherlock, who has a 133 years more experience with chess than I do.
Steve
Apr 14, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess-books
Read this with a board in front of you, and when you finish a chapter, take the test positions seriously. Set up positions and try to solve them WITHOUT TOUCHING PIECES. Do this through the *entire book* and enjoy how much sharper a chess player you've become.
Dylan
Jul 23, 2013 Dylan rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
A good introduction to the different types of tactics in chess. Some of the reviews of the games require a chess board to easily follow all of the moves and it seems like a video reviewing the games move by move would be much easier to follow.
Jim Kennedy
Dec 08, 2010 Jim Kennedy rated it really liked it
An excellent and thorough (it seemed to me) introduction to chess tactics. It has really started me thinking about chess in a far more constructive manner, and my rating is improving because of this.

Next - his book on strategy ... :)
William Herbst
The best volume in this introductory chess series. Beginners should practice their tactics and ignore the rest until later.
Mingo Johnson
Feb 15, 2012 Mingo Johnson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: to all chess players who want to improve their skill.
Shelves: chess
So far, its a great book to improve chess tactics. I'm learning a lot.
E Ergul
E Ergul rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Skits
Skits marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Jenny
Jenny added it
Jun 17, 2016
Nathan Perry
Nathan Perry rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Nicholas Crutchley
Nicholas Crutchley rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Arthur Kyriazis
Arthur Kyriazis rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Reid
Reid added it
May 30, 2016
Fil
Fil rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Prashant Mahale
Prashant Mahale marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Dayanand Sindhu
Dayanand Sindhu marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Tyronne
Tyronne marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Ashik Uzzaman
Ashik Uzzaman is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2016
  • Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master
  • My System
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • Art of Attack in Chess
  • Modern Chess Openings: MCO-14 (McKay Chess Library)
  • The Chess Artist: Genius, Obsession, and the World's Oldest Game
  • Lasker's Manual of Chess
  • Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess
  • Modern Chess Strategy
  • Ideas Behind the Chess Openings: Algebraic Edition
  • 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
  • Pawn Structure Chess
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • King's Gambit: A Son, a Father, and the World's Most Dangerous Game
  • The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal
  • Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes: Fifty Tantalizing Problems of Chess Detection
  • Mastering the Chess Openings volume 1