Start by marking “Winning Chess Tactics, revised” as Want to Read:
Winning Chess Tactics, revised

Winning Chess Tactics, revised

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The essential guide to the use of tactics, the watchdogs of strategy that take advantage of short-term opportunities to trap or ambush an opponent and change the course of a game in a single move.
Published May 1st 2005 by Everyman Chess (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Winning Chess Tactics, revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning Chess Tactics, revised

Murilo Andrade
Another nice book by Seirawan. Well written and very easy to digest, even for novice/amateur.

As a passionated by tactics, I appreciated all of it, specially the wide variety of exercises at the end of each chapters and the book.

It is well divided, beginning with commonly Attack Tactics ( skewer, pin, deflection, double attack, battery, etc) and ending with Draws, and more "defensive" tactics.

The second part of the book has some of the great tacticians of all time. Morphy, Tal, Kasparov amongs
Ethan
May 10, 2010 Ethan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows how to play chess
A good solid foundation of the tactics of Chess. I have finished reading it, but I still am going to go back and solve all of the problems, many of which I just skipped knowing that I would get back to it soon.
Pedro
An excellent INTRODUCTION to tactics. Clear and easy to understand for those new to chess. I would not recommend the book to intermediate players.
Steve
Jan 26, 2010 Steve is currently reading it
This book has some great tactical training. Well written book from Yasser Seirawan and Jeremy Silman.
Owen Lindsell
I love this series. Yasser is a good chess author and doesn't get too embroiled in explaining every varition.
Carl Stevens
This has definitely helped my game. It is one of those books you don't really read, but rather work through one study at a time. I now see the board in a different way which helps me with Thaddeus Barlow, the wizard detective and author of They Call Me Merlin Sherlock, who has a 133 years more experience with chess than I do.
Steve
Read this with a board in front of you, and when you finish a chapter, take the test positions seriously. Set up positions and try to solve them WITHOUT TOUCHING PIECES. Do this through the *entire book* and enjoy how much sharper a chess player you've become.
Dylan
Jul 23, 2013 Dylan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: chess
A good introduction to the different types of tactics in chess. Some of the reviews of the games require a chess board to easily follow all of the moves and it seems like a video reviewing the games move by move would be much easier to follow.
Jim Kennedy
An excellent and thorough (it seemed to me) introduction to chess tactics. It has really started me thinking about chess in a far more constructive manner, and my rating is improving because of this.

Next - his book on strategy ... :)
William Herbst
The best volume in this introductory chess series. Beginners should practice their tactics and ignore the rest until later.
Mingo Johnson
Feb 15, 2012 Mingo Johnson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to all chess players who want to improve their skill.
Shelves: chess
So far, its a great book to improve chess tactics. I'm learning a lot.
Dave_bunn
Dave_bunn marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Motimele Mosehlane
Motimele Mosehlane marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
James K
James K marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Haavard Hellerud
Haavard Hellerud marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Jefferson Saltorio
Jefferson Saltorio marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Yaroslav Gorbal
Yaroslav Gorbal marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Bucky
Bucky marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Christos Pilalis
Christos Pilalis marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
  • The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery
  • My System
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • The Art of Attack in Chess
  • The Chess Artist: Genius, Obsession, and the World's Oldest Game
  • Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes: Fifty Tantalizing Problems of Chess Detection
  • Lasker's Manual of Chess
  • King's Gambit: A Son, a Father, and the World's Most Dangerous Game
  • How Life Imitates Chess: Making the Right Moves, from the Board to the Boardroom
  • Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time
  • 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
  • Searching for Bobby Fischer: The Father of a Prodigy Observes the World of Chess
  • Chess For Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess
  • The Kings of New York: A Year Among the Geeks, Oddballs, and Geniuses Who Make Up America's Top High School Chess Team
Play Winning Chess Winning Chess Strategies, revised Winning Chess Openings Winning Chess Endings Winning Chess Brilliancies