Start by marking “The Iron Quill (The Pace, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Iron Quill (The Pace, #3)

The Iron Quill (The Pace #3)

With Weston's self-imposed forty-eight hour deadline having already lapsed, Sophie's patience is pushed to the max—especially with her realization that his concern is not for his own well-being, but for hers.

Just when they embrace a reconnection, she'll learn that her greatest threat is not necessarily something that might happen in the future, but something that’s happeni
Published August 1st 2011 by Lands Atlantic Publishing, LLC (first published July 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Iron Quill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Iron Quill

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareDead Reckoning by Charlaine HarrisSilence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Can't Wait Books For 2011
1,240 books — 6,894 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
1,144 books — 7,089 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelena
Jun 27, 2010 Shelena added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Release day is tomorrow. Re-reading. A little nervous! Took some chances with this one, but I love it. So proud of where the characters are now :)!
Mica
Dec 29, 2012 Mica rated it liked it
"The tension the image gave off was, in my mind, symbolic of trying times, but that ddn't mean it had to end in separation. Not this picture. This picture was the snapshot of the two hands making their way back to each other. Just like Wes and me. That was what I saw, and that is what I believed as I drank the last of my lemonade."

These are my thoughts not only of The Iron Quill but of all 3 books of the The Pace series (The Pace, The Broken Lake, The Iron Quill).

Beyond the themes of star-crosse
Mateja
Feb 22, 2011 Mateja rated it it was amazing
The story of Wes and Sophie is one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read. I loved their relationship since book one and The Iron Quill made it one of my favorite to read about.

Wes and Sophie are amazing together. Sophie is such a strong female character. She showed a level of maturity, that some female lead characters lack, in the most difficult times and was very brave. And Wes is practically perfect.

The storytelling is so incredibly beautiful. There were two points in the book wh
Angel Charms
Dec 17, 2010 Angel Charms rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Twilighters, PNR Fanatics
I LOVED this book so very much. This happens to be one of my fave series (and I've read a LOT of series). So let me just start by saying Thank You to Shelena for three things:
1. For a wonderful sequel to a wonderful series.
2. For not leaving us readers in much torture with yet another cliffhanger.
3. For not adding a love triangle.
Let's start with Story / plot:
Story picks up right where The Broken Lake ends. It's like you are just continuing with the next chapter instead of a new book. I li
Lacey
Apr 07, 2011 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Warning: Proceed with caution, is known to cause lack of sleep and aloofness from others. Be cautioned that once you begin there is NO stopping till the characters have told their story.

Okay I'm still reeling from this story, I can't believe I'm even saying this but I like this book even more than the other two. There was just something about the deeper connection to the characters that got me and held me tight. Shelena did an awesome job on creating a story that can be very relatable and convey
Stacey Conrad
Jul 15, 2010 Stacey Conrad rated it it was amazing
YA, paranormal, romance, series

At the end of The Broken Lake, Wes was in trouble. The Iron Quill starts right up where Lake left off without the tedious recap so often involved in a series. Thank you Shelena! I can always reread it if I need to remember. The pace in this third installment of the series is fast. A lot of issues are resolved that had been left hanging at the end of Broken Lake, but there is still enough story left, for me to want the fourth one. I was left satisfied at the end and
Bethany
Jun 27, 2010 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, favorites
The third book in a series usually isn’t as strong as the books before it, but The Iron Quill is just as equally great as the first two books. I was so caught up in the story I had to finish it as soon as I could. I needed to find out what was going too happened next. I’m happy to say that I’m very pleased at how this story played out. I want to read the final book now, but I guess I’ll just have to wait.
The Reader
Feb 26, 2015 The Reader rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING AND I CANNOT WAIT TO GET THE NEXT ONE!!
Emma
Oct 31, 2014 Emma rated it it was amazing
I love how both her existing mom's were there for her big day.
Shelby
Aug 11, 2011 Shelby rated it liked it
I'll admit, I actually kind of liked this one. There was suspense, mystery, and a good dose of romance to keep me satisfied.

The plot was good but not great. It was certainly more entertaining than the last two books, but I had trouble with the separate narratives of Sophie and Dr. Carter. Without any romance, the story's plot went a lot slower, almost as if there was NOTHING there in the first place. Without all the kissing and cuddling, I got to read more of the mystery, but I found myself wis
Ivana
Apr 25, 2012 Ivana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
-review originally posted at Willing To See Less

Contains spoilers!
I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed with the third book in The Pace series. Despite the fact that there is much more going on in terms of plot, somehow it didn't grab me as the The Pace and The Broken Lake did. I couldn't feel the suspense and never actually worried about what's at stake, even though the stakes are pretty high in Pace #3. There was something enticing about the first two books that this installment la
Shanon
Jan 24, 2011 Shanon rated it really liked it
This book picked up right where "The Broken Lake (The Pace, #2)" left off. Wes has been kidnapped by some mysterious military special ops group, and Sophie is understandably freaking out. Her and one of Wes' closest colleagues have to work together to find and return him home safely.

Unfortunately, I found nearly the first half of the book to be boring, even though I'm sure the author meant for the reader to get caught up in Sophie's distress and Wes' rescue. You would think that since one of th
Mitchii
Apr 04, 2011 Mitchii rated it really liked it
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
The Pace Series is one that since I discovered it, the next installment is always on my anxiously waiting for list. The Iron Quill, like it's predecessors did not disappoint. The characters, the writing, and the pacing are right in line with what I expected, and the ending left me with that longing and expectation for the next chapter in their story.
There was no time wasted getting right into the plot and it was like I didn't miss a beat. It was like picking up with old friends, a comfort lev
LanyBelle
Jul 06, 2011 LanyBelle rated it it was amazing
YAY!!!! I FINALLY got to read this next story in the series!!!!
ok, ok, i gotta say... I LOVE WES WITH ALL MY GUTS AND I WANT HIM FOR ME AND ONLY ME!!!!!!! muahahaha! OHHHHHH!! he is soooo adorable and awsome!!! *swooning and drooling* ok. so, I really liked how this had more action on it. and that Wes and Sophie finally got to......ok i won't spoil that part for the rest of you.
one thing though, was that throughout the end of the novel, Sophie started reminding me a little of Bella, which was li
Karen
Feb 21, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: youth-fiction
Good story. Did a great job of bringing in the details of the previous books, to remind the reader, but without rehashing plot.
I am still a little confused about the title....they mentioned an old pen a couple of times.....not sure what it had to do with the story.

The adventure was good, the plot kept moving, but the writing just isn't my favorite. Perhaps it's intentional, but I really feel like I'm reading a 14 year old girl's diary. Jumping from event to event - quick summaries about the peo
Amy
Oct 14, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
So, this continues the story of Wes and Sophie. I really like them :) I gave it a 4 just because the characters make me smile so much, but really it is more like 3.75, mainly because I just hate cliffhangers so bad....and this book is no different from the others in the series in the respect. I liked the book, and it certainly kept my interest, but now I feel everything was just a little bit too neatly tied up....maybe that is just part of the set up of the final book.,. So, I will certainly be ...more
Carie
Aug 17, 2010 Carie rated it really liked it
Maybe even 4.5. I’ve had to think about this one for quite awhile. I really enjoy this series and greatly anticipate each new installment, though I often ask myself why later. Not a huge amount happened for much of this book (like the second one), but the things that did happen were amazing!! I guess I just really LOVE the characters and want them to find lasting happiness. Not a lot of action in these books--they are more about the romance and overcoming challenges, though there is some suspens ...more
Kaydee
Aug 09, 2012 Kaydee rated it liked it
I'm not into writing long drawn out reviews so i'll keep it short and simple.... I liked the story enough too read the first three books. For me the only complaint is that I didn't really feel a strong connection between Sophie and West. I'm sure people will disagree, but I wasn't convinced in "their" love story..Maybe it was a lack of detail between the two, I don't Know. I will read the next book when it's out, but I just can't let go of the fact that I was a little let down..I have hope for b ...more
Belinda
Apr 06, 2011 Belinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really loved The Pace (The Pace Series, #1) by Shelena Shorts and The Broken Lake (The Pace Series, #2) by Shelena Shorts, the first 2 books of the Pace series. I've waited so long for this book and I think it's the best one of the three. It was everything I hoped it would be. It was exciting, romantic and hit me emotionally.

Wes and Sophie just belong together forever, it's a beautiful love story. I can't wait for the last book 'The Hour of Dreams'.
Celine
Sep 30, 2016 Celine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
Ok, so I put off reading this after the first two because I haven't gotten hold of the last book. I didn't really see the point of making myself hang for it. Thank God I finally got the last book, and so I was able to read this. One of the best decisions ever.

So Wes being gone is not a good thing, and Sophie is beyond herself. One thing about The Pace series that I love is that it's not one of those dragging ones. I mean the angles do end, and the story is relatively short. And here we got intro
Jackie -Sated Faery
Oct 13, 2010 Jackie -Sated Faery rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Looooooved it! This book starts out frantic as Sophie waits for Wes's return and the excitement continues all the way to end! Just like the other books in the series it has a perfect blend of nail-biting action and tender romance. Weston & Sophie are just beautiful together! Fate continues to push them together and pull them apart at the the same time, but they fight for each other the whole way. I'm very exited and anxious for the next book to find out just how their story will end.
April Dinucci
Aug 24, 2010 April Dinucci rated it really liked it
A wonferful addition the Pace Series, admittedly I was shocked that this book was not the conclusion and a little upset when I found out but after the ending I am calm and patient for the conclusion. I can't wait to see how Sophie and Wes emerge into their new life and complete the 'destiny' they both share. Well done!
Siew Ee
Dec 14, 2011 Siew Ee rated it liked it
Good read. Although I would have preferred more suspense, especially near the end, this book is better than the first two on the excitement quotient. Would have also liked Wes’ condition to be dealt with in this third book, thus nicely ending this series as a trilogy, but alas, we will all have to wait for the conclusion in the fourth book. :(
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Shelena Shorts is a very good writer. I love the story she tells with this series. The pacing is good, the characters are engaging. Obviously this series isn't over though because we are sort of left hanging. Again.

My reasons for not giving it a higher rating are purely personal- language and sex.
~Tina~
Jun 26, 2010 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it
Love the new twists! The romance in this one was so worth the wait. Wes and Sophie are the sweetest thing and I can't wait to see what happens in the final book; The Hour of Dreams!
ALM188
I still maintain that this is a lovely, youthful series. I think Sophie and Wes' story is very sweet and new. It is full of simplicity and hope. I still feel like there are some loose ends...the nosebleed at the end? Or what about the father just appearing at the end when we had never met him or heard anything about him prior to this installment?
Angela
Dec 19, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
As I read this I was expecting things to turn out differently, but I was not disappointed. Things were a bit easier remedied than it seemed they would be but it was a good read and exciting. It seems that after a sweet wrap up the next book will bring some twists and turns that will blow everything out of the water. Are things too good to be true?
Jess
Oct 17, 2011 Jess rated it it was amazing
The moment I have been waiting for. Wes and Sophie get married!!!! Great balls of fire I was thrilled :) And the honeymoon was perfect for them. They are a family now and Wes isn't alone anymore. Reading that he was so lonely through the years tore me up inside. Now I am anticipating The Hour of Dreams coming in 2012 for the conclusion of their story!!
Stephanie
Aug 12, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved the end of this book...well sort of! It made is nervous when Sophie got the nose bleed on the morning after. That defiantly is not going to be good in the upcoming book. I just want them happy and together! Is that too much to ask?! Don't want to wait until November for the next one!
  • Accused (Ganzfield, #4)
  • Lemniscate (Angel Star, #2)
  • Flame of Destiny (Flame of Destiny, #1)
  • Penitence (Heavenly, #2)
  • The Serpent's Coil (Prophecy of Days, #2)
  • Book of Revenge (Knight Angels, #2)
  • Pleasures Untold (Hanaford Park, #2)
  • Betrayed (The Guardian Legacy, #1)
  • Borrowed Heart (Evie Sanders, #1)
  • The Light of Asteria (Kailmeyra #1)
  • The Vision (The Mark, #2)
  • Son of Eden (Tales of the Guardian #1)
  • Fury of the Phoenix (Kingdom of Xia, #2)
  • Indelible (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #2)
  • Starstruck
  • Quantum (Portal Chronicles, #3)
  • Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2)
  • Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)
Shelena Shorts is a Virginia native who graduated from George Mason University with a degree in English and Special Education. After teaching for several years, she continues her passion for literacy through writing and publishing. Most of her weekends are spent on the sidelines cheering for one of her three, super active kids! She loves nature's views and is grateful for God's daily blessings.
More about Shelena Shorts...

The Pace (4 books)
  • The Pace (The Pace, #1)
  • The Broken Lake (The Pace #2)
  • The Hour of Dreams (The Pace #4)

“What I feel for you runs deeper than my thoughts, and deeper than my heart. The place where I find the most love for you is in my soul.” 23 likes