Chess For Dummies

Chess For Dummies

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The classic introductory guide - over 250,000 copies sold - now revised with over 25 per cent new content. For novice players, the complexities of chess can sometimes seem overwhelming - but you don't have to be a genius to play competitive chess. This fun and easy guide takes the intimidation out of the game, explaining the rules and lingo, demystifying popular openings a...more
Published August 1st 2005 by For Dummies (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Chess For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chess For Dummies

D'Arcy
I played a lot of chess and was able to beat everyone in my group. I played against clients in my shop if they saw the game and fansied themselves a chess player, and I won all the time.

So I started playing against the guys in the street, the guys in the park and the like. I'd pay to play, money back if I won... They totally cleaned my clock every time. I was surrounded by amateurs and thought I was a pro, and the real pros were playing in the park. So I read this book. I credit this book with...more
Vlad
When reviewing chess literature, it's important to state one's credentials, and what level the reviewer feels the book is appropriate for.

My USCF rating is 2029, expert/candidate master, and as a young teen, I was one of the top 15 players in the US for my age. Still, I'm not a master, and consider myself too weak to get anything from the chess series written by Dvoretsky and Yusupov, for instance.

"Chess for Dummies" is ostensibly written for beginners, and yet, is one of the very worst introdu...more
Graham
A Well Written Book With Limited Information On Chess: I had not picked up a chess piece for more than ten (10) years so I was looking forward to reading this book as a "refresher course" in chess. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED.

While a very well written book (a rarity in chess literature) the information is confusingly presented and not nearly has helpful as "The Idiot's Complete Guide To Chess."

My wife is a complete novice and she began reading this work so we could play chess together. She became s

stormhawk
I have a fascination for chess, but rarely play. Not knowing anyone who plays causes that. I understsnd a lot of the finer poits of strategy and am quite good at solving chess problems, but I play without much finesse. I keep hoping that someday, when I make someone watch Searching for Bobby Fischer, they will leap op and say, "wow, I really miss playing chess, I want to start again." It hasn't worked so far. So, instead, I read chess books.

Chess for Dummies starts by assuming you know how to p...more
Craig
When I was a kid, my brother taught me how to play chess. Then he proceeded to kick my butt. Time after time after time. So I figured I'd get some revenge a few years back. I read and studied this book, then challenged him to another game of chess. He once again kicked my butt. But it took him more than four moves to do it. This book greatly improved my chess game, which still sucks.
David Roberts
The book I read to research this post was Chess For Dummies by James Eade which is an excellent book that I bought from kindle. This book covers more or less everything you need to know about chess & there is even lots of examples of openings and gambits. I think if you work through this book you can become an extremely good player. Gambit incidently comes from the word gambitta which is a technical term used in wrestling means to pull an opponents feet out from under him. Chess developed in...more
Tom
Reading this book gave me the impression that the author is trying to do two things at once with this work. He notes in the preface that this should not be your first chess book, and relegates the discussion of chess notation to the appendix. However, he then goes on to give lengthy verbal descriptions of the moves. I imagine this would get old quickly to someone who had read about chess before.

Thus, if you are a true beginner, I would not recommend this book. It doesn't seem to lay the best fo...more
Sean
This is probably the perfect book to read if you're serious about learning to play chess, or if you know how to play chess, but you're a chronically bad player. I fall into the second category.

Eade starts out with the basics, explaining the mechanics of the rules of Chess. But then he goes into quite a bit of depth, covering strategy and tactics, and breaking the game down into its various components and explaining the goals at each step. He covers quite a bit of ground and gives an intermediate...more
Erik
After attending a conference a few months back I was inspired to learn more about chess. This seems odd, but the speaker (Rob Weychert) who mentioned this drew some interesting parallels to chess and web design and they made sense to me. After reading more about the game the planning from the opening to endgame I see how his concept makes sense. I picked this book up at Half Price Books and was overall pleased with the information. It certainly could have been more interesting in parts, but it g...more
Art
Good book. I have used several strategies listed in the book.
Had several students read and learn chess w/out knowing the game.
Robert
When we moved into the house, pre-children, I thought I would take up learning how to play chess. Yeah, didn't happen. I perused the book. I played a little. But no, I didn't become serious about it. Now, several years later, I came across this book as I tidy up. :)
Buzz
In my youth I learned and played chess with friends, never being guided properly. It turned out that I had been making some fundamental mistakes. This book really turned me around and got me to understand what I was doing wrong and how to fix it.
Jon
May 30, 2008 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: casual chess players, dummies
Shelves: chess
An excellent book for casual chess players. This book will introduce basic strategies and concepts to take their game to the next level. It is very clear, with easy to understand illustrations, which is extremely rare to find in chess books.
This book is a good idea for someone who is less visual and relational than I am. I think in order to REALLY learn how to play chess I would need to sit down with an actual teacher. I'm going to give DVD's a shot though.
Vinicius Targa
A nice book for beginners. Its show the basic rules and principles of the game. The are some notorious matchs in the end. A good book for a unrated player as its title suggests.
Mark Nelson
A very nice introduction to chess basics. Accessible and well illustrated. Recommended for new players who want to improve their game and enjoy chess more.
Pedro
Oct 04, 2010 Pedro rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: chess
A wonderful introdution to chess. Does not go much further than the basics, but does the best job of teaching the basics of any book I know of.
Nissa
Gave up. No one to play chess with and had to return the borrowed book. From what I could tell it was a good reference/tutorial, though.
figsfromthistles
Kicked Alex's butt tonight. Now I'll need "How to Play Nicely with Children for Dummies" to get him to play with me again.
Caleb
May 05, 2012 Caleb added it
Don't laugh too hard... I read this in early childhood, and it's a pretty good introduction to the game for complete novices.
Jeff
Very practical intro to real chess. It spoke at my level without getting way too deep in chess-ese.
Noah Soudrette
So far, a decent starter guide to the more complicated miasma of chess.
David Lipely
Not exactly a fun read but has definitely improved my game!!! :)
Catherine
One of my hair-brain ideas to learn chess.
Jocelynne Broderick
put on hold for hubby, might read it too.
Thomas
Very helpful in getting started.
Amy
Jul 01, 2008 Amy is currently reading it
Yes. Joel bought it for me.
John
Great despite the name. Wade is/was pro in res at mechanics institute in SF.
Cws
  • How to Reassess Your Chess: The Complete Chess-Mastery Course
  • Hacking For Dummies
  • Drawing for Dummies
  • English Grammar for Dummies
  • Economics For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance))
  • Auto Repair For Dummies
  • Mythology for Dummies
The Chess Player's Bible Chess Openings for Dummies The Chess Player's Bible: Illustrated Strategies for Staying Ahead of the Game Ajedrez para Dummies (Spanish Edition) San Francisco 1995