Start by marking “Chess For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Chess For Dummies

Chess For Dummies (For Dummies)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  402 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The classic introductory guide - over 250,000 copies sold - now revised with over 25 per cent new content. For novice players, the complexities of chess can sometimes seem overwhelming - but you don't have to be a genius to play competitive chess. This fun and easy guide takes the intimidation out of the game, explaining the rules and lingo, demystifying popular openings a ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Wiley (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Chess For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chess For Dummies

Creative Writing for Dummies by Maggie HamandBlogging for Dummies by Brad HillPublic Speaking for Dummies by Malcolm KushnerTechnical Writing for Dummies. by Sheryl Lindsell-RobertsSelf-Publishing for Dummies by Jason R. Rich
For Dummies Series
85th out of 274 books — 59 voters
My 60 Memorable Games by Bobby FischerThe Life and Games of Mikhail Tal by Mikhail TalLogical Chess Move By Move by Irving ChernevThe Amateur's Mind by Jeremy SilmanBobby Fischer Teaches Chess by Bobby Fischer
Best Chess Books
112th out of 115 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

D'Arcy
Jan 09, 2010 D'Arcy rated it really liked it
I played a lot of chess and was able to beat everyone in my group. I played against clients in my shop if they saw the game and fansied themselves a chess player, and I won all the time.

So I started playing against the guys in the street, the guys in the park and the like. I'd pay to play, money back if I won... They totally cleaned my clock every time. I was surrounded by amateurs and thought I was a pro, and the real pros were playing in the park. So I read this book. I credit this book with
Craig
Dec 01, 2008 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a kid, my brother taught me how to play chess. Then he proceeded to kick my butt. Time after time after time. So I figured I'd get some revenge a few years back. I read and studied this book, then challenged him to another game of chess. He once again kicked my butt. But it took him more than four moves to do it. This book greatly improved my chess game, which still sucks.
stormhawk
Mar 24, 2013 stormhawk rated it really liked it
I have a fascination for chess, but rarely play. Not knowing anyone who plays causes that. I understsnd a lot of the finer poits of strategy and am quite good at solving chess problems, but I play without much finesse. I keep hoping that someday, when I make someone watch Searching for Bobby Fischer, they will leap op and say, "wow, I really miss playing chess, I want to start again." It hasn't worked so far. So, instead, I read chess books.

Chess for Dummies starts by assuming you know how to p
Graham
A Well Written Book With Limited Information On Chess: I had not picked up a chess piece for more than ten (10) years so I was looking forward to reading this book as a "refresher course" in chess. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED.

While a very well written book (a rarity in chess literature) the information is confusingly presented and not nearly has helpful as "The Idiot's Complete Guide To Chess."

My wife is a complete novice and she began reading this work so we could play chess together. She became s

Catherine
One of my hair-brain ideas to learn chess.
David Roberts
Apr 17, 2013 David Roberts rated it it was amazing
The book I read to research this post was Chess For Dummies by James Eade which is an excellent book that I bought from kindle. This book covers more or less everything you need to know about chess & there is even lots of examples of openings and gambits. I think if you work through this book you can become an extremely good player. Gambit incidently comes from the word gambitta which is a technical term used in wrestling means to pull an opponents feet out from under him. Chess developed in ...more
Carlos Reyes
Oct 03, 2014 Carlos Reyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un muy buen libro para aprender todo sobre el ajedrez. Explica desde lo más elemental hasta situaciones más complejas. Estos libros para Dummies son verdaderamente espectaculares. Felicito al autor James Eade, porque no debe ser fácil explicar un juego de esta envergadura de manera sencilla y amena. No me extiendo mucho porque no hay nada más que agregar, este libro le hace honor a su título.
Sean
Oct 05, 2013 Sean rated it liked it
This is probably the perfect book to read if you're serious about learning to play chess, or if you know how to play chess, but you're a chronically bad player. I fall into the second category.

Eade starts out with the basics, explaining the mechanics of the rules of Chess. But then he goes into quite a bit of depth, covering strategy and tactics, and breaking the game down into its various components and explaining the goals at each step. He covers quite a bit of ground and gives an intermediate
Mark Dunn
Sep 26, 2015 Mark Dunn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
I don't have any chess credentials ,but I have read a few beginner books and I don't think "Chess For Dummies" will be very helpful. If you know the game at all Chess puzzles are the way to go ,they (puzzles) are apparently what made the Polgar sisters great ,so that is good enough for me. I recommend "Simple Checkmates" by A J Gillam.
Erik
Jan 27, 2009 Erik rated it liked it
After attending a conference a few months back I was inspired to learn more about chess. This seems odd, but the speaker (Rob Weychert) who mentioned this drew some interesting parallels to chess and web design and they made sense to me. After reading more about the game the planning from the opening to endgame I see how his concept makes sense. I picked this book up at Half Price Books and was overall pleased with the information. It certainly could have been more interesting in parts, but it g ...more
Fred Charles
Jun 29, 2015 Fred Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An ideal book for the first day beginner. It teaches the rules, the moves and how to cope in a game of chess, all be it, a very basic game.
Art
Jul 23, 2014 Art rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball, humor-dry
Good book. I have used several strategies listed in the book.
Had several students read and learn chess w/out knowing the game.
Jose Jimenez
Jan 05, 2016 Jose Jimenez rated it really liked it
Such a helpful book for beginners at chess, or dummies, if that's what you think you are.
Robert
When we moved into the house, pre-children, I thought I would take up learning how to play chess. Yeah, didn't happen. I perused the book. I played a little. But no, I didn't become serious about it. Now, several years later, I came across this book as I tidy up. :)
Buzz
Nov 23, 2010 Buzz rated it really liked it
In my youth I learned and played chess with friends, never being guided properly. It turned out that I had been making some fundamental mistakes. This book really turned me around and got me to understand what I was doing wrong and how to fix it.
Jon
May 30, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: casual chess players, dummies
Shelves: chess
An excellent book for casual chess players. This book will introduce basic strategies and concepts to take their game to the next level. It is very clear, with easy to understand illustrations, which is extremely rare to find in chess books.
Aug 10, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
This book is a good idea for someone who is less visual and relational than I am. I think in order to REALLY learn how to play chess I would need to sit down with an actual teacher. I'm going to give DVD's a shot though.
Vinicius Targa
Aug 23, 2013 Vinicius Targa rated it liked it
A nice book for beginners. Its show the basic rules and principles of the game. The are some notorious matchs in the end. A good book for a unrated player as its title suggests.
Mark Nelson
Nov 20, 2011 Mark Nelson rated it really liked it
A very nice introduction to chess basics. Accessible and well illustrated. Recommended for new players who want to improve their game and enjoy chess more.
Pedro
Oct 04, 2010 Pedro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
A wonderful introdution to chess. Does not go much further than the basics, but does the best job of teaching the basics of any book I know of.
Nissa
Jun 27, 2010 Nissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aborted, 2008
Gave up. No one to play chess with and had to return the borrowed book. From what I could tell it was a good reference/tutorial, though.
figsfromthistles
Sep 12, 2011 figsfromthistles rated it really liked it
Kicked Alex's butt tonight. Now I'll need "How to Play Nicely with Children for Dummies" to get him to play with me again.
Caleb
May 05, 2012 Caleb added it
Don't laugh too hard... I read this in early childhood, and it's a pretty good introduction to the game for complete novices.
Jeff
Oct 18, 2010 Jeff rated it really liked it
Very practical intro to real chess. It spoke at my level without getting way too deep in chess-ese.
Noah Soudrette
So far, a decent starter guide to the more complicated miasma of chess.
David Lipely
Mar 04, 2013 David Lipely rated it liked it
Not exactly a fun read but has definitely improved my game!!! :)
Stangreen
Feb 19, 2016 Stangreen marked it as to-read
OK, so I do read some books just for fun.
Jocelynne Broderick
put on hold for hubby, might read it too.
Thomas
Sep 15, 2007 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Very helpful in getting started.
Amy
Jul 01, 2008 Amy is currently reading it
Yes. Joel bought it for me.
  • Physics for Dummies
  • Being Vegetarian for Dummies
  • Football for Dummies
  • Guitar For Dummies
  • Piano for Dummies [With Play-Along]

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies