Start by marking “Understanding Chess Move by Move” as Want to Read:
Understanding Chess Move by Move

Understanding Chess Move by Move

This new title, the first of its type to explain the dynamic principles that underpin modern chess, uses more than thirty carefully selected games to help the reader understand the most important aspects of the chess struggle. John Nunn, a top-class grandmaster and one of the world's most highly regarded chess writers, explains every move using terms and phrases everyone c ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Gambit Publications (first published February 14th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Chess Move by Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Chess Move by Move

Serge Pierro
Jan 06, 2017 Serge Pierro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
Irving Chernev's classic book "Logical Chess: Move by Move" was a profound book for many beginners in the past, as Chernev was able to breakdown each annotated game into digestible morsels for the aspiring chess player. Now Dr. John Nunn uses the same approach, yet focuses more on the dynamic nature of modern chess and looks at games that are more contemporary in nature.

Nunn's lavishly annotated games are a joy to go over. At points he'll spend several paragraphs of text on explaining the thou
Bobsie67
Aug 08, 2008 Bobsie67 rated it liked it
Re-reading this book and I appreciate more the second time. Very well written with very good explanations; however, this is not a chess book for beginners. Some of the advice is excelllent for intermediate players like me, but much of the analysis is geared for advanced players.
TheF7Pawn
Nov 25, 2014 TheF7Pawn rated it it was ok
An update on an old classic (Chernev’s Logical Chess Move by Move) but with more computer-abetted analysis. Whether you like this sort of thing is a matter of taste. The more I experience these sort of books the more it dawns on me that, at a certain level, it’s one grandmaster writing to others like him. For the average player, there are lessons to be learned in this volume, and Nunn does and admirable job in calling them out before, during, and after the game, but in the end he can’t control h ...more
Scott
Nov 22, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess, x-2014-read
A solid, all-around middlegame strategy book with some basic opening coverage and minimal endgame. Covers a variety of strategic elements of chess at a high level (i.e. attacking play, pawn structure, good bishop vs bad bishop, positional sacrifices, passed pawns, etc.). The author uses grandmaster games to help us understand these strategic elements in action. Most of us can't come close to emulating grandmasters playing chess, but it's great to be inspired by their precise, accurate moves in i ...more
Robert
Nov 22, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing
A classical masterpiece.
As a trainer I'm happy whenever I need to use the games from this book.
If your level is not not high enough to go through all the annotations, then just enjoy the eloquent comments from a first-class writer. If somebody is looking for a game-collection which he wants to learn by heart - Nunn's book would be my first recommendation.
I'm surprised that this book hasn't been republished with a couple of additional games.
4triplezed
Oct 11, 2016 4triplezed added it
Shelves: chess
I am crap at chess. I spent a lot of money on books that I thought would at least make me competitive. Nothing worked. I think these chess books will all sit in a box gathering dust and one day I might get the urge to rejoin the local club and get butchered by 12 year olds so then may have a further look. (Generic review for all half finished chess books I will never finish)
Mike Steib
Mar 28, 2014 Mike Steib rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
For people who really, really, really want to understand chess strategy.
John
May 20, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
Very informative. One of the few chess books I read completely.
Gorgi Krenkov
Gorgi Krenkov rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Govindrajs
Govindrajs rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Garyt2013
Garyt2013 rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
AVMA
AVMA rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Katy Lick da shtupe
Katy Lick da shtupe rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Nino
Nino rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Rodney Weis
Rodney Weis rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
May 21, 2009
Menso Mwenge
Menso Mwenge rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Ben D
Ben D rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2014
Piotr Karaś
Apr 01, 2017 Piotr Karaś rated it really liked it
This book is very informative, instructive and educational. The author offered an in-depth analysis of 30 games, showing the reader how to think while playing chess, and esp. how to plan the sequence of several moves ahead, taking into account the best moves of the opponent.
CRB
CRB rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Ansel Thoen
Ansel Thoen rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Andrea Enzo Romano
Andrea Enzo Romano rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
Cleo
Cleo rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2014
Sadasivam
Sadasivam rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Mike Obideny
Mike Obideny rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
MDUDUZI
MDUDUZI rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Vikram
Vikram rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Bernard
Bernard rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2012
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • Tal-Botvinnik 1960
  • Garry Kasparov on My Great Predecessors,  Part 1
  • Modern Chess Strategy
  • Chess Tactics for Champions: A step-by-step guide to using tactics and combinations the Polgar way
  • Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953
  • Chess Master vs. Chess Amateur
  • My 60 Memorable Games
  • Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
  • Practical Chess Exercises: 600 Lessons from Tactics to Strategy
  • Modern Chess Openings: MCO-14 (McKay Chess Library)
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • Pawn Structure Chess
  • The Mammoth Book of Chess
John Denis Martin Nunn is an English chess grandmaster, a three-time world champion in chess problem solving, a chess writer and publisher, and a mathematician. He is one of England's strongest chess players and once was in the world's top ten.
More about John Nunn...