Start by marking “A Not-So-Simple Life” as Want to Read:
A Not-So-Simple Life

A Not-So-Simple Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl #14)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Fifteen-year-old Maya Stark seems to have it all–fame, fortune, a Beverly Hills lifestyle, and an eighties pop star dad who’s making a comeback. But looks can be deceiving, and on the inside, Maya is miserable. Her parents are divorced, her dad is away on tour, and being biracial, she struggles with her identity. Then, to make matters worse, her mother has returned to usin ...more
Published June 2nd 2010 by Multnomah Books (first published July 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Not-So-Simple Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Not-So-Simple Life

Deb
I was very pleased with this book until the last few chapters. The
book is written in a diary format, which adds to the interest for young people. The character of Maya is very interesting - mature for her age and very idealistic. She has a boatload of troubles, but handles herself with aplomb.
The book bites the dust in the last few chapters because it suddenly becomes "Christian fiction". While the bulk of the story demonstrates Maya's fierce independence, suddenly her problems all wrap-up fair
Michelle
This story was incredibly edgy, but that's what made it real. And the cool thing is that I read the second book first so I got to see her after she became a Christian. She is still learning what that means all through the next book. She struggles with things like real people do even after they find faith. Anyway, back to this book, which is the first in the series... Maya's feelings are so real. She sounds so much like a teenager even down to the honest thoughts and feelings about her parents.

Th
Celeste
Maya Stark is the daughter of famous Nick Stark and former actress Shannon. She has a not-so-simple life due to the drugs/alcohol her mother constantly consumes. Maya is a very resilient person and shows intelligence in times of trouble (for a teen). I don't like the ending much because Melody Carlson injects religion into it and wraps up the book with a pink fat bow.
Virginia
"These two things I know for sure: (1) nothing about life is fair, and (2) it is not going to get better."

Not a great outlook for a fifteen-year-old girl, is it? But Maya Stark, the biracial heroine of Melody Carlson's latest book, A Not-So-Simple-Life is completely justified in her pessimistic opinion. On the outside, Maya's life is enviable. She lives in a Hollywood mansion, her mother is a beautiful former starlet, and her father is a rock star. Really, a rock star! But behind the facade Maya
Jill Williamson
Maya Stark might have a celebrity dad and live in Beverly Hills, but that doesn’t mean her life is easy. Her parents are divorced, her dad is touring, and her mom is on and off the drug and alcohol wagon so often Maya never knows who to expect. The problems with her mom force Maya to be the adult in the family. She cooks and cleans and hides what money she can from her mom. It’s not enough. Despite Maya’s earth-friendly values, she gets a job at an upscale clothing boutique in Beverly Hills. Her ...more
$hanel
A Not-So-Simple Life is about a girl named Maya Stark and her parents are divorced. Maya lives with her Mom who will not stop going to insane drug party`s and is usually gone for a week leaving Maya home alone. Maya`s Dad is Nick Stark a famous singer and Maya will do anything to live with her amazing Dad... the only problem is that Maya`s Dad is always on tour and he would have no time to take care of Maya so that leaves Maya with her crazy Mom. To get all this stress off Maya`s back, Maya deci ...more
Jessica
Was a little disappointed that this book did not have more depth in the plot. I have read most of her other series but this one did seem to lack more meat in the whole book. It seemed like she rushed in the end of the book to finish the story. I am still going to try the next book in this series just because I know this is a great author.
Books and Literature for Teens
This Diary of a Teenage Girl was different from the Kim or the Chloe series (haven't read the Caitlin series yet).
It was still good, but pretty edgy.
Sure, lots of girls have Maya's problem (in fact I know one), but I hear about it so much that I don't like to keep reading stuff about it.
Anyways, Maya's mother is an drug addict,her father's away on tour, and Maya wants to live on her own. But in doing so, she gotta learn the art of being humble.

It was a bit slow at times, but finishable (can I m
This is the first book in the Diary of a Teenage Girl series I've read, and also the first book by this author.

I was so anxious to see what would happen next that I read the book extremely quickly. I can't imagine growing up in a home like Maya, but I am amazed at how she pulled through and now has a chance for a more normal, stable life.

I am ready to read the next in the series! Also - the green tips were fun. Obvious, but fun. I am kind of over the green thing, though. I mean, I want to save t
Jodi
Another great book from Melody Carlson. The main character Maya is a mess. Her mother is a drug addict and goes on 3 to 5 day binges leaving Maya home to handle everything. Her father lives far away and is too busy with his music career to be around. Maya ends up trying to work and get emanicipation from her parents. She stays with her dad for a few months then goes back to her moms until her mom gets arrested for drugs. She goes to stay with her cousin and uncle until she can decided what to do ...more
Mary Bronson
The was such a great book! It is very heartwarming. When I was at the library I was happy to see another Diary of a Teenage Girl character. I love reading them. The girls seem so real and they go through real life problems they have to face. I love Maya, she is such a great character. To see her overcome all of the challenges she faced in life was great.
Allie
Wow. This book touches your heart. The main character, Maya, is going through a really rough time. Her dad never has any time for her and her mom does drugs and depends on Maya for everything. Maya is someone you can really connect with, even when your life does not match her own. Very sweet book and I loved it.
Myesha
This book to me was very enlightening. I've read twice already and each time I enjoyed every bit. I believe I liked it so much because I could relate to how she felt. I loved the story line about her parents. This book is a great book to read.
Aelia's Manga and Book Reviews
This book was an enjoyable read and I liked Maya as a character and understood her struggles however, it seemed liked religion was thrown in at the end in a way that threw me off.
Danielle
I loved this. Quite different from the others in the series but still so amazing. If you haven't yet, I recommend reading these books whole-heartedly!
Alex
The diary series are starting to fall a little flat. Nonetheless, Maya's first diary was much better than all 3 of Kim's.
Angela Sellers
This book was so good. It gelped me to realize that we never really know what someone is going through until you know them.
Andalee Brooke McNeely
Ehhh it was okay. Not my type of book but still pretty good. No desire to read the next one if there's a sequel though.
Daisy
I liked this book, but i think I preferred the caitlin series. They'll probs get better though.
Lauren Elaine
All of Melody's books that I've read have been great, and this one was no different. :)
Cookielover
Pretty pessimistic beginning, but its a novel about hope.
I hate the title and the cover.
Ginnie Grant
one of carlsons bet I think. Your heart bleeds for maya and yet you cheer her on!
Kayla Mannlein
Very interesting I like how aware she is about how she effects the environment.
Claire
I like maya's new job and her hippy ways!
Mj
Mj added it
Nov 19, 2014
Favorite Quotes 1 11 Jun 08, 2009 01:43PM
  • Holly's Heart, Collection 2: Second-Best Friend/Good-Bye, Dressel Hills/Straight-A Teacher/No Guys Pact/Little White Lies (Holly's Heart, #6-10)
  • Be Strong & Curvaceous (All About Us, #3)
  • Departures: Two Rediscovered Stories of Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen
  • Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #1)
  • I'm So Sure (The Charmed Life, #2)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1) Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)