The Dream World of H. P. Lovecraft: His Life, His Demons, His Universe

The Dream World of H. P. Lovecraft: His Life, His Demons, His Universe

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Occult scholar Donald Tyson plumbs the depths of H. P. Lovecraft's cosmic visions and horrific dream world to examine, warts and all, the strange life of the man who created the Necronomicon and the Cthulhu mythos. Lovecraft expressed disdain for magic and religion, and most of his biographers have dismissed the mystical side of his nature. This book redresses this imbalan...more
Published November 8th 2010 by Llewellyn Publications (first published November 1st 2010)

Lea

I have to review this book on two levels -- first, as a biography of H.P. Lovecraft, and second, as an occult exploration of Lovecraft's dreams, influences, etc., as the author seems to intend it to be read.

As a straightforward biography, I would certainly give this book 4 stars -- Lovecraft's life was at times full of drama, and as a subject he is quite interesting. I knew very little about him before reading this book, and most of what I did know was either wrong or incomplete. Lovecr...more
Erica Hasselbach
This was one of the books recommended by my professor for my Legends and Mythology history course. Although I have never read any of Lovecraft's works, this biography focused more on his life and the evolution and changes evident in his work.

Pros:
The book was a straightforward biography. I appreciated that the author continued his research and included what had and has happened to Lovecraft's mythos and such since his death.

Cons:
There were times in the book where the author would allude to ce...more
Steve Cran
Having read all of Lovecraft's I am more inclined to call him a sci fi/ horror writer. His tales take you to another world quite literally and you definitely enter into his dream. His works have been an inspiration to occultists, horror writers and others. It is the occultists that Donald Tyson focuses on in this work. Donald Tyson himself is an occultist.

There may be better biographies of H.P. Lovecraft out there so I am not saying that this is the best. Plus I am not sure how much research wen...more
Shea Mastison
Lovecraft, the Dreamer. We get a great perspective on a different aspect of Lovecraft's personality in this book. Instead of droning on and on about how pessimistic and malicious Lovecraft's conception of the Universe and humanity's place in it; Tyson actually is able to shed a little insight about *why* Lovecraft felt so down about our specie's prospects.

This is a great book for anyone remotely interested in the occult; and an excellent supplemental work for anyone thoroughly familiar with the...more
Rupert
Really well written book on Lovecraft that is part biography and criticism. Loses me at the end when he talks seriously of modern magicians making use of the Necronomicon - this is Llewellyn Press after all, but an interesting book overall and includes an index of Lovecraft's friends and relations with a brief paragraph on each person.
Gary
An insightful biographical and psychological perspective on Lovecraft's inner and outer worlds and how it influenced and emerged into his creative output. This examination provides a fresh framework from which to experience Lovecraft's unique and haunting visions.
Brendan
This is a pretty decent biography/analysis of Lovecraft's life and work. At times, I could have used a little more biographical details and a little less analysis, but this was an enjoyable read overall.
Walton
Remarkable how such a fascinating subject can be made so tedious by poor writing, a fact the author acknowledges by suggesting the reader skip alternate chapters.
Andrés Torres
Andrés Torres marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Sean Chick
Sean Chick marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Richard Bandoli
Richard Bandoli marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Tony Hall
Tony Hall marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Fingon
Fingon added it
Mar 24, 2014
Eldorankin
Eldorankin marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Mary Mreow
Mary Mreow marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Donald Tyson is a Canadian from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Early in life he was drawn to science by an intense fascination with astronomy, building a telescope by hand when he was eight. He began university seeking a science degree, but became disillusioned with the aridity and futility of a mechanistic view of the universe and shifted his major to English. After graduating with honors he has pursued a...more
More about Donald Tyson...
Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred Alhazred: Author of the Necronomicon Enochian Magic for Beginners: The Original System of Angel Magic the Original System of Angel Magic Grimoire of the Necronomicon Portable Magic: Tarot Is the Only Tool You Need