Start by marking “Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)” as Want to Read:
Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)

Last Argument of Kings (The First Law #3)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  62,068 Ratings  ·  2,384 Reviews
The end is coming.

Logen Ninefingers might only have one more fight in him, but it’s going to be a big one. Battle rages across the North, the King of the Northmen still stands firm and there’s only one man who can top him. His oldest friend and his oldest enemy. It’s time for the Bloody-Nine to come home.

With too many masters and too little time, Superior Glokta is fightin
Audiobook, 27 pages
Published June 3rd 2010 by Orion Publishing Group (first published March 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Last Argument of Kings, please sign up.

Jonathan Harwood You will definitely regret spending time on this trilogy. You'll spend 3 books getting invested in an awesome story with awesome characters only to be…moreYou will definitely regret spending time on this trilogy. You'll spend 3 books getting invested in an awesome story with awesome characters only to be greatly disappointed in how it all turns out in the end. (less)

Michael
Because, even after the first two volumes, every character will STILL surprise you. Because Glokta is the best fantasy character I've found since Tyrion Lannister. Because Logen is a mushroom-cloud-laying motherfucker. Because you should've seen it coming but you didn't. You really didn't.

Because even "gritty" fantasy writers are usually afraid to go this far against expectations. Because you will laugh. You will get angry. Because you will hate the ending. Because the ending is perfect. Becaus
mark monday
Jun 18, 2012 mark monday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastickal
and so the excellent First Law trilogy concludes. this was a splendid experience and certainly a hearty one as well. many things to consider and many enjoyments to be had. a full meal! and quite a bitter feast at that.

and here is the Last Argument of the title, succinctly delivered by the ferocious sorceror Bayaz:
"Power makes all things right. That is my first law, and my last. That is the only law that I acknowledge."
SPOILERS FOLLOW

this is a really marvelous series. bold in intent, clear in p
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Say one thing for this reviewer, say she's a weak-minded sucker.

She really enjoyed the first two books of Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy. This story was original, had a unique style, fascinating characters, and a darkly cynical style. She liked it. It was fresh. But she was kind of hoping, even daring to expect, that the last book, Last Argument of Kings, might have an ending that was, if not perhaps exactly happy, at least somewhat satisfying.

Unf
Dan Schwent
Apr 04, 2013 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2013
Dirk Grobbelaar

The last book in Abercrombie’s dark fantasy trilogy. Done. Dusted.

It’s going to be a while before I’ve properly assimilated everything that happened over the course of the series. It’s quite something, and it’s well worth your time if you enjoy genre fiction.

Last Argument of Kings – thoughts

Strange and painful events seemed to follow in his wake like stray dogs barking behind the butcher’s wagon.

Like I mentioned in one of my earlier reviews, it isn’t clear whether this wants to be (dark) heroic
Alex
Okay, so here's the thing with this book and why I gave it no stars:

1) It's the third and final volume in a trilogy that up to this book was pretty much as good as fantasy gets: good characterizations, egaging plot, nice overall writing style, etc etc etc.

1a) I specifically liked the first two because they were surprisingly nasty, not dark mind you (no brooding emo heroes of the night), nasty.

1b) "Nasty" isn't meant sexually either, incidentally, in case you were flashing to Janet Jackson right
Robin (Bridge Four)
“Mercy and weakness are the same thing in war, and there's no prize for nice behavior.”

When your two favorite characters in a book are a master torturer and a warrior who occasionally is filled with so much bloodlust that he forgets who he is and is as likely to kill a friend as much as a foe you really shouldn’t be surprised to have mixed feelings at the end of the series.

But I was surprised. Maybe I’m too used to the series I’m reading ending by tying everything up neatly in a bow and giving
Ethan
Jul 26, 2010 Ethan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. This book probably deserves better than two stars, but I just can't bring myself to call it good, because I didn't really enjoy it even though I read it fairly quickly. Don't get me wrong: it's interesting enough, and the characters are still vaguely engaging, and there's plenty of action. By all means, the formula is there (even though it does feel a little bit tired).

So what's the problem? I guess I was just hoping Abercrombie would be able to salvage some of his characters and
Conor

Last argument of kings is an appropriately epic, dark and brilliant ending to a trilogy filled with great characters and a beautifully crafted, intricate plot. It provides a definite(if somewhat disappointing) ending to the trilogy that still leaves space for the characters and story to be further explored in the following standalone novels.

SPOILERS

Jezal's character development was easily the best written in this series and among the best I've seen in any fantasy. From his introduction
Richard
Jun 08, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.5/10

Reading other peoples reviews of this book makes me feel like a sourpuss only going for the 4 star rating. I fully enjoyed reading people’s reviews and bringing back the memories of those who I have since said my farewells to and glad to see that so many people differ on certain things such as favourite characters, whether they enjoyed the ending overall and if this is one of the better fantasy series to come onto the scene in recent years.

As a trilogy I can’t fault this series, the writi
Mpauli
"Book 3, the final one! We're almost there!"
"Yes, Sir, Mr.Abercrombie."
"So, let's see. We casted characters already and invented plots. What needs to be done now."
"Perhaps an ending?"
"Really? Aren't you enjoying my fabulous characters?"
"Of course, but you know, a good story needs an ending."
"Did Robert Jordan knew that? Does Martin think so?"
"Well, I'm not sure..."
"And they sold way more books than I did."
"Hm, this is true. But weren't you going somewhere with the story?"
"You're right, but maybe
Evgeny
May 12, 2014 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the conclusion of a grimdark fantasy trilogy. At this point practically everything I can say about the plot will be full of spoilers, so the most generic description will have to do. A war is raging in the north between Union and united barbarians. Another war is about to start in the south: people led by powerful and practically indestructible flesh-eaters quietly prepare to conquer Union - unless the northern barbarians do it first. Everything seems to be lost, but some powerful people ...more
Carol.
Sep 18, 2011 Carol. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, male-lead
Wow. Just finished, and that was a book that was just... wow. Made expectations, fulfilled them, broke them apart into little pieces and reassembled into a huge jagged collage of a work. Amazing. Glokta continues to be the character you would love to hate, except that he is the very essence of tortured humanity. Jezal grows beyond a self-involved ego into a man willing to stand for his beliefs--except that he remains manipulated and somewhat ignorant of the extent to which he is played. Logen un ...more
Hanne
Sep 24, 2012 Hanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hanne by: Fantasy Book Club Series
Shelves: fantasy

While reading the final hundred pages of this book, there is one quote that came to mind: “All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.” It’s from my favourite tv-series Battlestar Galactica but it could be a tagline on these series as well.

I have to admit after book 1 and 2 I thought that these trilogy was really good, but I didn’t fully understand the utter brilliance it supposedly had. Now after book 3, I get it. This last book is the culmination of so many things and shows
The Shayne-Train
Apr 02, 2015 The Shayne-Train rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, say he writes like a motherfucker.

I've been recommending this series to all of my fantasy-reading friends, most especially those all into the George R.R. Martin type of gritty-ass fantasy.

See, I did it myself. I hate it when Abercrombie gets compared to GRRM. But how do you avoid it? So I word it thus: in the world of dark, realistic fantasy, Martin is Hitchcock and Abercrombie is Peckinpah. That's the only way I can make that comparison and sleep at night. Plu
Arthur
Jun 28, 2009 Arthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liked, fantasy
Just finished The Last Argument of Kings...

Mixed feelings.
Definitely it is not worth re-reading, otherwise it would be like Logen, pissing into the wind. Real life is depressing enough, why make it worse?
I didn't expect a happy ending, but everything, absolutely everything to be bad? While you have to be realistic is a good motto, the ending is not realistic because life is shit and people do not change is overplayed.

The Blade Itself starts with a chapter 1 - End, and The Last Argument of Kings
Kelly

Friends are people one pretends to like in order to make life bearable. Men like us have no need of such indulgences. It is or enemies by which we are measured

Ok..I...Ummm....Err. Let me start over, I really don't know what the Hell to say. One thing I kind say for sure is that Joe Abercrombie is one hell of a writer. Everytime I think that the next book can't get better, Dam he proves me wrong, Big Time.

Can't wait to read Best served Cold
David Sven
A thoroughly enjoyable finish to a fantastic series. There was a lot that needed to happen in this book to close out the various story arcs and a lot did indeed happen. There are more twists in the plot than a circus contortionist and many of our favourite characters are going to end up in unexpected places and positions.

Bayaz returns with his party from their failed quest to find “The Seed” at the edge of the world. Logen Ninefingers AKA “The Bloody Nine” decides to leave the Union and return t
Phrynne
Jan 19, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the trilogy and it was as superb as the previous two. I have been listening to these books on audio for quite some time now and I am going to suffer serious withdrawal symptoms now they are all over. They contain some of the best characters I have ever come across in a book and although I probably would not want any of them as friends ( most of them are evil!) I will still miss them very much. I loved the way the trilogy ended with a scene parallel to the way it started! And I ...more
Steve
Wow, just... Wow.

The story doesn't end, but loose ends are tied, maybe not so neatly, but they are wrapped up. Sort of.
At this point in the trilogy, there's really nothing new about the characters, except for the lengths to which they will go to attain and obtain their own ends. The king showed himself to be royal in his character, while others are sneaky, manipulative scoundrels.
I was surprised at when the battle ended, with over four hours left in the (Audible) book. But the palace intrigue
Mikko Karvonen
"Delightfully twisted, and evil." The excerpt from The Guardian tells everything you need to know about Joe Abercrombie. He writes twisted fantasy where the characters are as wicked and dark as the plot twists and morale is not a relevant consideration for any decision. And he writes it well. In short time he has become one of the leading names of the genre, mainly thanks to the First Law trilogy that concludes in the Last Argument of the Kings.

And after finally completing the trilogy, I can't h
Athena Shardbearer
Epic/Dark Fantasy Buddy Read with Anasylvia, Alexa, Robin, Michelle, and Eon.

WTF!

I don't know how to rate this or what kind of review to write for this.....

Fuck it, I don't care what people think...I love this damn series. I will read it over and over and over again. I loved it so damn much that I ordered and bought the graphic novel...even though I can read it for free online. The First Law Graphic Novel Ugh..Its so flawed with these fucked up characters that I love them anyway. How is that I
Lisa
Nov 30, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo...please don't be over...I tried to eke it out as long as poss but mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...it's over...

photo Crying_zpsik6vswbx.png

So, yes you have guessed correctly I LOVE this trilogy.
Best. Fantasy. Ever. For me.
Gonna read it again yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

photo The_First_Law_covers_zpsnwdf03fm.jpg
Mr. Matt
Dec 05, 2013 Mr. Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Argument of Kings brings to close The First Law series; and what an ending. Forbidden powers are unleashed once more into the world in the desperate fight against the Gurkish and the Hundred. Adua, the capital of the Union, is in ruins. Great men are toppled and new men made, and the hand behind the curtain is finally revealed.

This series restores my hope in the fantasy genre. I am tired of Tolkein and clones of Tolkein. (Please, no more Robert Jordan.) The First Law series breaks – sh
Stephen
6.0 stars. On my list of All Time Favorite novels (along with the other two books in "The First Law" trilogy). This series re-wrote the definition of fantasy "noir" (i.e., darker in theme, characters "grey" rather than black and white and more adult in theme). All three books were incredible and the end was terrific (and completely in keeping with the tone of the series). Brilliantly done. I can not wait for the next book by Mr. Abercrombie. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!

Nominee: David Gemme
Carmen
May 29, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't mind being depressed; fans of the first two books
I don't know what I expected. Certainly not a happy ending for everyone. Certainly not that. But with 15 or so characters in a trilogy you'd think there'd be SOME kind of good.

I get it, I really do. Abercrombie's created this dark world. Torture, murder, rape, war, torture, battle, dismemberment, torture, wasting diseases, slavery, oh - and did I mention torture? Don't worry - Abercrombie's thoroughly convinced me that his world is a crappy place - a place where you'd be better off not being bor
Erica
Jul 17, 2009 Erica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I left 4 stars for books 1 and 2, even though after book 3, I really wanted to dump all the books. It has been a while since I read any fantasy book and books 1 and 2 were a great reintroduction, or so I thought. Books 1 and 2 had great characters, action, and storylines. And I thought there was even some character development going on and general progress as far as the storyline was concerned. It all came crushing down with book 3. I understand that the author wanted to express the view that so ...more
Helen
Apr 13, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm going to have to keep this review short because I'm on my way to have Joe Abercrombie's name tattooed on my ass in big block letters. Let's just say I loved the shit out of this book and Abercrombie is my new favorite fantasy author.

I've never had a man make me feel so good without actually touching me. That is all.
Caitlin
Damn, that was just…brutal. I mean, I knew it was coming but that ending…fuck. Consider my heart officially broken.

What I love about the First Law trilogy is how it just shatters your expectations. If you’ve grown up reading fantasy then you expect the redemption story to have the grizzled veteran who ultimately redeems himself for all the bad things he’s done, the wise old wizard who saves everyone, the careless young fool who learns better and becomes a good man and the former slave who learn
Terence
Sep 17, 2008 Terence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • The White Luck Warrior (Aspect-Emperor, #2)
  • Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • Stonewielder (Malazan Empire, #3)
  • Blade of Tyshalle (The Acts of Caine, #2)
  • The Silver Spike (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3.5)
  • The Cold Commands
  • Evil for Evil (Engineer Trilogy, #2)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
Joe Abercrombie was educated at Lancaster Royal Grammar School and Manchester University, where he studied psychology. He moved into television production before taking up a career as a freelance film editor. During a break between jobs he began writing The Blade Itself in 2002, completing it in 2004. It was published by Gollancz in 2006 and was followed by two other books in The First Law Trilogy ...more
More about Joe Abercrombie...

The First Law (9 books)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Kriegsklingen (1 von 2) (The First Law, #1 Part 1)
  • Kriegsklingen (2 von 2) (The First Law, #1 Part 2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Feuerklingen (1 von 2) (The First Law, #2 Part 1)
  • Feuerklingen (2 von 2) (The First Law, #2 Part 2)
  • Königsklingen (1 von 2) (The First Law, #3 Part 1)
  • Königsklingen (2 von 2) (The First Law, #3 Part 2)

“I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them.” 787 likes
“Rules are for children. This is war, and in war the only crime is to lose.” 256 likes