Start by marking “Pitcairn's Island” as Want to Read:
Pitcairn's Island

Pitcairn's Island (The Bounty Trilogy #3)

The third volume of the Bounty Trilogy chronicles the harrowing adventures of those mutineers who escaped capture and court-martial by fleeing to a deserted island.
Published January 9th 1973 by Pocket (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Pitcairn's Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pitcairn's Island

Walter
Apr 13, 2014 Walter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-maritime
In the third novel of the "Bounty" trilogy, the mutineers of the "Bounty" take their Tahiti brides and four male islanders and settle on the previously uninhabited island in the Western South Pacific, the place known as Pitcairn's Island. This novel is fascinating in how it contrasts with the second novel of the series, "Men versus the Sea". In "MS", Captain Bligh and the castaways of the Bounty take a scant amount of food, no weapons, very few supplies and a small launch which was designed to t ...more
Michael
Nov 22, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a big fan of fiction... but have read 3 books of the mutiny on the Bounty. This novel based on actual events is actually very good. It really grabbed me and kept me reading. The characters are very well developed to where you actual start to develop feelings towards them. I hate this guy, I like this guy, I hope this guy lives..... No one really knows exactly how things happened on Pitcairn Island, but this book is so well written that it is almost convincing. I have since learned that this ...more
Beth
I read this final book of the The Mutiny on the Bounty Trilogy first, and it has made me want to read the rest, despite it being a heartbreaking book in many ways. It is a novelized version of the real events that comprised the lives of the mutineers who fled from Tahiti to escape potential capture and punishment along with a few Tahitian men and women. They find their way to a beautiful, secure hiding spot, rich in resources. If not for human nature, it could have been a peaceful permanent have ...more
Abigail Hartman
I waffled about the rating: for some parts I would have said three, for some two, for some two and a half, for some one (!). This last novel in the famous "Mutiny on the Bounty" trilogy took me through a range of emotions, but disgust and pity were foremost. The men who sought refuge on Pitcairn's Island after their mutiny called it an Eden, but from day one it was nothing of the sort: every sort of evil, from murder to adultery to gluttony, came with them. At times it was terrible to read, espe ...more
Katie
Apr 18, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fascinating and very depressing. What a sad end to the Bounty mutineers and their incredible attempt at making a new life for themselves on Pitcairn Island. I was blown away by their ability to start a new life on an unknown island in the south Pacific and be so isolated. I have learned two things from this book, alcohol ruins everything and be nice to your neighbors because they just may kill you.
Ned Barrett
Sep 21, 2011 Ned Barrett rated it it was amazing
The third book in the series and a wonderful capstone. This is a fascinating account of the lives of the mutineers and their Tahitian wives and companions on the isolated island home, Pitcairns Island.
Marla
I would have given this four stars because it really is quite a gripping and surprisingly thought-provoking read, but I probably wouldn't have read it had I known how violent it is. Not that the authors weren't reasonably tasteful in describing horrendous events.
Jeff
Dec 28, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this postscript to the Bounty mutiny much more interesting than the mutiny itself...
DW
Ever since reading and watching Mutiny on the Bounty, I've wondered what happened on Pitcairn's Island. It seems like it would have been a tropical paradise, under the leadership of the dreamy Clark Gable (I mean, Fletcher Christian). No more Captain Bligh or British naval discipline, wouldn't it have been wonderful? I even remember reading about the American ship stumbling across the descendants of the mutineers years later, but I never did the subtraction to realize that it was not enough year ...more
Mazel
Aug 16, 2009 Mazel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman-historique
On sait que les trois livres qui composent le cycle romanesque inspiré par la mutinerie de la « Bounty » peuvent se lire dans un ordre indifférent : chacun d'eux est une oeuvre qui se suffit à elle-même.

Celui-ci évoque l'aventure de cette poignée de révoltés qui, maîtres du navire gagnèrent l'îlot de Pitcairn, perdu au fin fond du Pacifique Sud, pour se mettre à l'abri de la justice des hommes.

Quinze hommes et douze femmes, Blancs et « Indiens » liés par le même destin, se réfugient donc, un b
Ramorx
Feb 15, 2008 Ramorx rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: communal homesteaders
Looking for Utopia, or the possibility of some kind of other world, I read this book with interest.
A bunch of Bounty mutineers leave the world as they know it, as fugitives, accompanied by some economic/social exiles from Tahiti, 1790. Things were going really well on the deserted island of Pitcairn deep in the unchartered Pacific when the castaways - about 15 of them, half Europeans, half Polynesians - shared the land of the Island, and lived and worked as kind of unintentional communards.
Then
Ashley
May 05, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read for those who love seafaring & island adventures. It can be read w/o knowing much about the first 2 entries of the trilogy, other than there was a mutiny & Fletcher Christian was its leader. The characters are shallowly drawn, & the themes are simply the evils of alcohol & cultural prejudice. One culture refuses to recognize the other as equal in any way, & the 2nd eventually responds w/ murderous vengeance. The plot is often disjointed. This is likely due to t ...more
Mary
Mar 28, 2010 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on historical records of the settlement of the mutinous HMS Bounty crew on a small island (which despite modern air & sea travel) is pretty much in the middle of nowhere (lies several thousand miles between Australia and New Zealand and is only accessible today by a speed boat which drops off/picks up cargo and people from bigger boats in the shipping lanes). Of the 15 men (6 of whom were Tahitians) and 12 women (all Tahitians) only 1 man (from the Bounty) and 10 women were left a few ...more
Hope
Aug 24, 2010 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the authors' apology for the violence in this book in their introduction, I took it as a quaint nod to the sensibilities of an earlier era. But no, Pitcairn's Island is a horrific story of murder and tragedy. In this Heart of Darkness-like account of the Bounty mutineers' attempt to establish a Utopian society on Pitcairn's Island, a remote piece of rock in the South Pacific, things fall apart in gory detail. Still, it is a stunning novel based on a true story, and worthy of reading.
Mike
Jan 23, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy moly. Not sure what I expected from the third volume of the Bounty trilogy, but it wasn't this. For 100 pages or so, Nordhoff and Hall tell the tale of how the Bounty mutineers, joined by a small group of Tahitian men and women, set up an egalitarian community on Pitcairn's Island. It all seems very utopian at first. Incrementally, though, dissatisfaction sets in, and once the first act of violence occurs, it never stops. The last 100 pages are a bloodbath of mounting horror, and I read the ...more
Ebookwormy1
Of all the books in the Triology, it is clear that the mutineers and their decendants bore the brunt of the tresspass commited onboard the famous Bounty. This is a hard book to read, as it is a very disturbing tale - especially through the middle - but for those who persevere there is a tale of redemption amidst consequences for sin.

Although it should be noted that Pitcairn's troubles seem to continue (even today) with evacuations due to overpopulation, and recent trials concerning a pattern of
Janice
This book is the third in the trilogy The Bounty Trilogy: Mutiny on the Bounty/Men Against the Sea/Pitcairn's Island. With visions of Mel Gibson as Fletcher Christian in my head, I bypassed the first two books in favour of the third and lesser known story of what happened to the mutineers of the Bounty.

Charly
Jul 02, 2014 Charly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
this was the conclusion of the Bounty Trilogy and in many ways the most entertaining of the works. The tale of Christian and those who stayed with him and the Bounty. they along with friendly natives find and inhabit Pitcairn's Island. The evolution of the characters and the settlement itself is very entertaining.
Bill Westenberg
The third of the Bounty trilogy. Though I very much liked this book, I didn't find it as tightly constructed as the previous two. That said, it is still a wonderful read and must be read to fulfill the story. A great look at what happens when we have the opportunity to start afresh.
Chris Gager
Jun 15, 2011 Chris Gager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That cover makes it look better than it was. Good historical fiction read in prep school. Man! We read a lot of books. Four years solid of English classes. No option... Date read is a guess. The descendants of these fugitives still live on Pitcairn. Middle of nowhere.
David Keller
Dec 08, 2015 David Keller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book told such an exciting story in such vivid detail that it inspired me to take three flights and a 30-hour boat ride on a cargo ship to visit Pitcairn Island: http://pitcairnadventure.blogspot.com/
Jefferson Coombs
Feb 20, 2016 Jefferson Coombs rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
This series was a fun read. I enjoyed it and learned about the South Pacific islands in the process.
Rocco Maiolo
Jun 01, 2015 Rocco Maiolo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating 3rd installment of the Mutiny on the Bounty trilogy. It was my first foray into historical fiction.
Barbara
My interest was fading during this book. I don't think it had anything to do with the book but just with my interest in what happened.
Patti Biley
Patti Biley rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2008
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2011
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Victor Couwenbergh
Victor Couwenbergh rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Loretta
Loretta rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
  • Tales of the Tikongs
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • Sufferings in Africa: The Incredible True Story of a Shipwreck, Enslavement, and Survival on the Sahara
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • Jeeves, Jeeves, Jeeves
  • Far Afield
  • The Captain from Connecticut
  • The Unknown Shore
  • Midshipman Bolitho and the Avenger (Richard Bolitho, #2)
  • Stories for Christmas
This describes the 20th century novelist, most famous for Mutiny on the Bounty. For the 19th century journalist and author, see Charles Nordhoff.

Charles Bernard Nordhoff was an English-born American novelist and traveler.
More about Charles Bernard Nordhoff...

The Bounty Trilogy (3 books)
  • Mutiny on the Bounty (The Bounty Trilogy, #1)
  • Men Against the Sea (The Bounty Trilogy, #2)