Start by marking “A Day And A Night And A Day” as Want to Read:
A Day And A Night And A Day

A Day And A Night And A Day

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  45 reviews
How does a lost love lead an unlikely terrorist into the near-fatal embrace of his torturer? This is the story of Augustus Rose - half African-American, half Italian, lover, restaurateur, unlikely terrorist - and his interrogator, Harper, a Grand Inquisitor armed with cruelty, clarity and charisma.
Published March 1st 2010 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Day And A Night And A Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Day And A Night And A Day

James Murphy
A Day and a Night and a Day is a novel about espionage and torture. It's also a novel about love. Augustus Rose is a man involved in intelligence work who's tortured for what he knows. Interwoven in the narrative of how his adversaries extract the information Rose holds is the story of his life, particularly his love for a woman to whom he was once married. The novel contrasts a day and a night and a day of torture with a day and a night and a day of love. I don't read many novels I'd characteri ...more
A
Breathtaking and absolutely devastating. So much to think about. A thriller/potboiler that is also so profound, intricate, and beautifully written (all in the most breathtakingly subtle way), you tear through it only to realize at the end you could have sat and chewed on each and every sentence for at least the titular time frame.
Shannon
So...this book. Hm. It was definitely NOT what I expected. I read about it in my library's monthly "new book expo" newsletter, and it sounded like an intriguing suspense/thriller about someone who lives through torture. Sounds kind of macabre, but I remember thinking it sounded interesting, so I wrote it down in my little "I wanna read..." notebook that I keep in my briefcase (this was pre-Goodreads, of course).

So this was much more than just your typical suspense novel. First of all, Glen Dunc
Ria
A thought provoking book with complex plot turns.
Augustus Rose is a mixed race restaurateur who turns to terrorism after a tragic episode in his life. The book opens with him being slowly tortured by an interrogator in a Moroccan cell.
The story is told in retrospective flashes, from Augustus' childhood onwards and relates the circumstances that brought him to this point in his life.
The pivotal point is the novel's name, the torture and degradations he is forced to enudre lasts for "a day and a n
Phil
I liked this book. It was very dark and quite different to other books I have read.
In short it is the story of Augustus – a black man from New York (growing up with racial conflict) who falls in love turn terrorist. From the outset you know he has been captured and is being tortured for information and through a third weaving story, that he survives the torture to live out his life as best he can.
The telling of a prolonged torture scene without graphic description was excellent. The author real
Bibliophile
Glen Duncan's A Day and a Night and a Day is a thinly disguised essay about terrorism and extraordinary rendition dressed up with tattered characterization, florid metaphor and a plot that barely hangs together. The main female character is a compendium of traits that don't add up to an actual person, and the ways in which Duncan chooses to make the main character sympathetic are so blatantly obvious that I reacted contrarily by despising him. I was going to give this one one star, but I remembe ...more
Naomi V
Mar 24, 2010 Naomi V rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who likes good writing
what keeps you living when you wish you could die?

the thing about Duncan is that his books always contain religion, sadism, and sex. not subjects i generally seek out (okay, maybe sex) but everything of his that i've read was so well written that i'm able to not only bear the rest, but to relish it. in spite of some of the other comments about the torture, i think he does a brilliant job of telling you a little, but then turning aside from the gory details (a bit like Tarantino turning away from
Melissa
Learn to use a *#! comma! "One of the guards stretches his legs and his foot nudges the canvas bag." At first I read this that the guard was stretching his legs and his foot, but NO. In thirty pages, there were so many of these disconnects that I am giving up. There is no excuse for sloppy punctuation, and if it's for some sort of "effect," I can't imagine that annoying your reader is the outcome you were hoping for.
Meg
This was an amazing book full of insight into our 21st century minds. It might not be anything that you will agree with, but it will certainly get you thinking! Duncan's writing style is unique; I'm interested to see if it is particular to this book or if is present in all of his. Great story, great writing.
Karenbike Patterson
Be ready to focus when you read this. It is a bewildering challenge for the first third. The author loves big words and wandering between ideas, action, the past and the present. The chief librarian said it was his favorite book last year. Makes me wonder about him.
Frances
In his novel “A Day A Night and A Day” Glen Duncan bookends a fiery love affair with two equally combustible eras. Selina and Augustus, the enticing protagonists, fall in love in the heat of the 1960s. Their relations are startling and carnal. The sight of them together in public turns heads; Augustus is half black and Selina is a white woman of wealth. The duo alarms its audience and the couple is very aware of this effect and its power has a channel in their relationship.

Duncan situates the re
Djrmel
Josh
Three distinct plot threads diversified by time are entwined at the height of torture. Augustus Rose is a terrorist - his interrogator, Harper, a master of the brutal art of inflicting pain for purpose. Together they form an unlikely bond as the questions flow thick and slow mimicking Augustus' steadily dripping blood on the floor of the interrogation room.

A DAY AND A NIGHT AND A DAY is a complex read that's confronting, emotional, and devilishly smart.

Author Glen Duncan is renowned for his div
Lori
ARC/Reviewers copy

"Go out, go out, quite go out."
"The world's not what we thought it was, the world's what it's always been."
"Either God speaks continuously or is nothing but silence."

Ever wondered where God was when you needed him most? Ever call out for a sign, any sign, that he was there, and paying attention? Ever promise to believe in him should he let you know he was there?

Glen Duncan does an amazing job addressing religion, a recurring theme for him, in his latest novel. Our tormented, t
Rosie
This book, while well written, was a pain to read, it took about six months for me too read, and I read fast, my issue was that I had too keep re-reading paragraphs (as there are no chapters) to keep up, and with the constant changes in tense was confusing because it could be ages before the same plot line was discussed again and I found myself jumping back to see were the plot was left. That being said, I write in the same way, jumpy and erratic, but every page of this book was beautifully. wri ...more
Loran
A definite good read, makes one think. The issues of torture and which side you are on in the shadowy world of today's politics is sharply defined. How does one go on when physical pain is beyond understanding?
Alex
I love the way Glen Duncan writes. It's a style all his own. This isn't my favorite book by him, but it was absolutely worth the read.
Beth
I've not read Duncan before, and initially I had a hard time getting into this story where the only separation of past, present and future was a blank line between paragraphs. But as the story unfolded I was surprised to find myself engrossed. It's dark, kind of appalling, and yet incredibly tender. Well done.
Teresa
Really not what I expected but a really good read.
Carole
Didn't like it all and could not finish it.
Dave
The three stories intertwine very well and the central themes are engrossing. I very much enjoyed the pace and just as one timeline was beginning to lose it's impact, the book visited one of the others. As with "The Last Werewolf", the main character is very introspective and it's not a story you feel particularly happy when you've finished.
Some of the moral concepts touched upon are very interesting but, probably as a result, few of the characters are particularly likeable. It's still worth a r
Dane Fewtrell
Terrifying and beautiful. Uncomfortable truths abound in this very raw story about violence, sex, race, and terrorism.
Tahira
The book is definitely not what I expected but nevertheless turned out to be an engrossing read. I couldn't put it down frankly. The Glen Duncan prose and fluidity is definitely there and really no one can make it flow like him (I will say it again, I do love him.) Great engagement of characters - my favorite being between the tortured and the torturer. In the end it is a love story wrapped around the darkness of torture and rendition.
Alejandro
Glen Duncan is, in my opinion, the eminent prose stylist of our times. He masterfully weaves copious amounts of interiority with engaging plotlines and--in my experience--never fails to keep a reader's interest. "A Day and a Night and a Day" is definitely a novel of its own time, in the best sense of the phrase. Duncan effortlessly captures the zeitgeist of a post-9/11 world without coming across as preachy or one-sided.
Liz
Oh jesus I need to stop reading books with horrible, graphic scenes of violence and torture. Anyway, this was a very interesting, fictional take on the post-Abu Ghraib world... complete with aforementioned torture scenes and a reference to Britney Spears, for good measure. I've never read anything by Duncan before; his writing style is a bit difficult at first, but I liked it a lot.
David
Though I love Glen Duncan's writing, this is one of his weaker novels. There are some moments of brilliance, but they are few and far between. I also thought the plot, or at the very least, the structure, was very similar to his earlier work, Love Remains. If you want to read one or more of his truly wonderful novels, read I, Lucifer, Hope, or the Last Werewolf.
HiphopQuyn
this book depends entirely on the ending. it's easy to get frustrated early on, as the story revolves around an episode of torture provoked by who knows what until the last 20 pages or so. but the payoff is worth it, and the book is full of painful, insightful moments in a relationship that guided the rest of the protagonist's life choices. it's a scary love story.
Jami
I ultimately liked the book, but came very close to putting it down during the first 50 pages. I had a hard time with the lack of punctuation - just made it very frustrating to read. Content itself, very moving. The torture scenes were pretty awful, but really, you're supposed to think torture is awful, no?
THE LISTS: Novel 2 Updates 1 2 Jan 15, 2012 03:00PM
  • Confessions of a Thug
  • The Question
  • Seven Men
  • That Smell and Notes from Prison
  • True Crime (Nathan Heller, #2)
  • Point and Shoot (Charlie Hardie, #3)
  • The Cambodian Book of the Dead
  • In CHEAP We Trust: The Story of a Misunderstood American Virtue
  • The Zone: A Prison Camp Guard's Story
  • Signed, Mata Hari
  • Headstone (Jack Taylor, #9)
  • Trespass: A History Of Uncommissioned Urban Art
  • The First Person and Other Stories
  • The Silences of Hammerstein
  • Rome: A Cultural, Visual, and Personal History
  • Life After Death: A History of the Afterlife in Western Religion
Aka Saul Black.

Glen Duncan is a British author born in 1965 in Bolton, Lancashire, England to an Anglo-Indian family. He studied philosophy and literature at the universities of Lancaster and Exeter. In 1990 Duncan moved to London, where he worked as a bookseller for four years, writing in his spare time. In 1994 he visited India with his father (part roots odyssey, part research for a later work,
More about Glen Duncan...
The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf, #1) I, Lucifer Talulla Rising (The Last Werewolf, #2) By Blood We Live (The Last Werewolf, #3) Death of an Ordinary Man

“Like her, he didn't buy the Nietzschean line that whatever didn't kill you made you stronger. Sometimes whatever didn't kill you disfigured and debilitated you for the rest of your life instead of killing you. Mere survival was neither here nor there. It was the manner of survival, what you did with whatever it was that didn't kill you.” 4 likes
“She revisited sex now as a ruined project she couldn't entirely give up on.” 3 likes