Eye Of The Beholder

Eye Of The Beholder

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  58 reviews

A Heart-Pounding Thriller about Dark Secrets and the Horrific Lengths That Desparate People Will Go to Keep Them

Attorney Paul Riley has built a lucrative career on his famous prosecution of Terry Burgos, a serial killer who emulated the lyrics of a violent song to gruesomely murder six girls, including the daughter of billionaires Harland and Natalia Bently. Now fifteen

Published August 29th 2006 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Eye Of The Beholder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye Of The Beholder

Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Paul Riley, lawyer and Michael McDermott and Ricki Stoletti, police detectives
SERIES: Standalone
RATING: 1.5

Sometimes being a voracious reader of crime fiction can make it really hard to give a new book a fair chance. If you spend a lot of time on the dark streets or in a locked room, you've come to know (and often, detest) some of the clichés of the genre. You're aware of the trends, and which themes and approaches are overdone. It's actually rather sad to pick up a book like Eye of...more
Ângela Costa
Mais um livro que me surpreendeu e que adorei a sua leitura!
Ms.pegasus
Dec 19, 2013 Ms.pegasus rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fast-paced thriller
Shelves: fiction, mystery, thriller
1989 to 2005 – 16 years. A lot can happen in that time. Paul Riley, experienced federal prosecutor and newly appointed second in command to the top county prosecutor, has the case of a lifetime thrown into his lap. A delusional loner is linked to the murder of six women, two of them students at a private liberal arts college. The physical evidence is overwhelming. The accused worked at the college as a janitor. A restraining order had been issued by one of the victims against the accused; the po...more
Michele
I is a book that would have been read rather than listened to. I think Dick Hill (the reader) must have...taken....lessons from the...William Shatner...School...of..Public.........Speaking
João Carlos
Um título sugestivo – uma capa com um design verdadeiramente apelativa – e para finalizar uma das melhores sinopses que já li: "O delegado do ministério público Paul Riley construiu uma carreira lucrativa a partir da sua famosa acusação a Terry Burgos, um assassino em série que seguiu a letra de uma canção violenta para assassinar barbaramente seis raparigas, incluindo a filha dos multimilionários Harland e Natália Bentley. Quinze anos depois, a polícia é confrontada com uma nova série de assass...more
Lynn
This was a riveting "who done it" from beginning to end, with so many twists and turns that you are constantly thrown off track. I loved it!

The bodies of six women, two of them students and the other four prostitutes, are discovered in the basement of a college auditorium in the hiatus between the end of the regular school term and the start of the summer term. One of the dead students had previously been stalked by the school's maintenance man, Terry Burgos, and had a restraining order against...more
Jetty
Vol enthousiasme begonnen aan deze vierde thriller van de hand van David Ellis, het boek ook uitgelezen maar hij heeft me niet overtuigd.

Als een rode draad in dit verhaal loopt een zaak uit het verleden die in delen verteld wordt, maar hij springt zonder enige aankondiging zo van het heden naar het verleden en vice versa. De hoofdstukken zijn allemaal op datum ingedeeld maar soms kan het dus best zo zijn dat je in het jaar 2005 denkt te zitten maar dat er dan toch plots een stuk verleden tussend...more
Susan Kelley
May 15, 2008 Susan Kelley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like mysteries!
In 1989, County Prosecutor Paul Riley had the conviction of his career. He sent serial killer Terry Burgos to his death. Riley successfully proved that Burgos murdered women by following the lyrics to a song.

Since then, Riley has struck out on his own with a very prosperous law firm. Power and money are at his disposal. Everything good in his life can be traced back to the Burgos trial.

It's now 2005, and the killings have started again. This time, the killer is following the second verse of the...more
Anica
I am honest, it took me a while to get into this book even though I can't really say why. Because the beginning was very exciting and I was hooked. But then 100 pages happened where...nothing happened. Now that I have finished it I can't really say that we needed those pages at all. I wasn't that bored but I wanted to get back to the old and fascinating story and not some blahblah.

But around page 200, the book was good again. The whole story started to developed. It was such a pageturner after t...more
Alejandra
Five gruesome murders of five girls brutally slayed emulating the first verse of a deranged song. The conviction comes quickly since there is no room for doubt as to who the killer is. Or so it seems... Years later, after the original killer has been executed, the second verse of the song is being reenacted again and dead people start to turn up. People who are connected to the first five murders. Coincidence? Ruthless lawyer Paul Riley, who convicted the first murderer, thinks not. He embarks...more
Nan Williams
Graphic gore and violence in the first few chapters had me close the book. I've read and enjoyed other books by Ellis, so I continued after the first graphic horror. When it became obvious that graphic mutilation and desecration of victims would be a constant, that was it for me.

I do appreciate the fact that he put the offensive (to me) items in the beginning of the book so that those of us who do not want to read that sort of thing can put it down before getting involved in the story.

I wish the...more
Marlo
Fifteen years ago, prosecutor Paul Riley made his mark by putting away Terry Burgos, who was inspired by song lyrics to kill six young women in the most gruesome of fashions. Now, a new series of killings bears a frightening similarity to the Burgos murders, and as the victim list keeps growing, Riley realizes the killer seems to be sending a personal message to him. In order to solve the new crimes, Riley, realizing that the connection to the Burgos case is very real, must confront his own past...more
Judy
I have to say, it took me a while to get through this. Not one of my favorites, but very suspenseful.
Lori
pretty convoluted and not very good
Heather Mcclusky
Good crime novel. Lots of twists.
Alida
To cleanse the palate from my usual non-fiction far, I do a mystery once in a while. I just see what's in the library audiovisual section and read the summary. If it sounds good, I check it out.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised. Didn't care much for the protagonist and most of the characters (except the primary detective) but the plot was good. Best of all, I did not see coming the plot twist at the end. That to me is satisfying.

J. Ewbank
This book is an excellent read. Ellis keeps you working until the end trying to figure out who and what and how everything works and worked out.

This is a book that will interest and grab the mystery or thriller book reader and will keep you reading until you find out everything you can about the plot.

Well done, and exciting.

J. Robert Ewbank, author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Jenny
I took too long to read this book, and got a little confused while doing so. With books that become quite involved, it's better to read continually, and not drag it out over a period of weeks and weeks.

I did enjoy the book, and will probably read it again one day, so I can absorb all the information better.

Very cleverly written.
Weena
May 15, 2008 Weena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Weena by: Chilling Reads Book Club
The first half dragged a little bit, which made me want to give up. The second half, however, was so riveting that I could barely put the book down. It just kept getting more exciting and even more intense. It also had a shocker at the ending. So, if you can trudge through the first several chapters, it actually turns out to be a great book.

Janet
Pretty good mystery. In 1989, Paul Riley prosecutes a serial killer. 15 years later, murders begin again, and appear to be a copycat. I don't want to give anything away, but I did figure some things out at the beginning. However, it does take awhile to find out what's happening and why.
Lois
A mother's coverup for her daughter's life- trial of a mass murderer who is charged with the death of 6 gals (2 college students and 4 prostitutes) who ends up dead by capital punishment. A very intriguing story that keeps your interest till the very end.....love his books!!
Tara Padilla
Hard to get into...only (eventually) finished it because I had started it.
Lramesh
An interesting thriller book. However, not following a consistent storytelling kills the reading. For e.g., first few chapters, the story is told from a third person. But often this changes (suddenly in the middle) so the reader needs time to adjust to that style.
Marion Mockridge
Audio book narrated by one of the best: Dick Hill. A very unpredictable plot leading the reader into a variety of premature conclusions until the surprise ending. It's a combination of SVU and Law and Order. My kind of book.
Raj
Good who-dun-it not necessarily in the Raymond Chandler/Dashiel Hamett category but keeps you rivetted.
Tialisa
This book started of well enough but it was so predictable. Then it jumped back and forth so much I had a hard time keeping track of who, what and where then I lost all intrest entirely.
Marie
Great mystery with a series of twists and turns and a knock out surprise ending. My only complaint is that the plot tended to drag just a bit here and there, but overall, a GREAT thriller.
Carol
The plot was full of twists and turns and the ending was great. My one complaint is that I didn't really care about the characters that much, but the interesting plot made up for it.
Vincent Eaton
Decently written. One is curious enough to turn the page, and yet dulled by yet another twist. And then another. Endless. And the stereotypes and their cut-and-paste attitudes.
  • A Killer's Kiss (Victor Carl, #7)
  • Precious Blood
  • The Instant Enemy
  • The Cutie (Hard Case Crime #53)
  • A Certain Justice (Abe Glitsky, #1)
  • The Mayor of Lexington Avenue (Jack Tobin, #1)
  • The African Quest (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #5)
  • Gambit (Nero Wolfe, #37)
  • The Scorpion's Gate
  • Extreme Denial
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, Book 1)
  • Everglades
  • The First Horseman
  • Summer at Forsaken Lake
  • The Promise of a Lie
Dave is an attorney from Chicago who has worked in both the public and private sector since his graduation from Northwestern Law School. He currently serves as Counsel to the Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives.LINE OF VISION, Dave's first novel, won the Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best First Novel by an American Author.
More about David Ellis...
The Hidden Man (Jason Kolarich, #1) The Wrong Man (Jason Kolarich, #3) Breach Of Trust (Jason Kolarich, #2) The Last Alibi (Jason Kolarich, #4) Line Of Vision