Start by marking “Butterfly Woman” as Want to Read:
Butterfly Woman

Butterfly Woman

Hannah Rush is just three years old when she experiences the end of her innocence. Her father, Rex, divorces Hannah's mother, Magda, who suffers from bipolar disease. Hannah's life is never the same. Tragically, Hannah is violated by her stepfather Ross, and life takes a disastrous turn. She suffers four years of sexual abuse. Trying to recapture her "forgotten innocence," ...more
Published April 5th 2010 by Trafford Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Butterfly Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterfly Woman

Carol
Oct 15, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was hard to read this book sometimes. Brutally honest. A novel of spirituality and healing of a tortured soul who had her childhood stolen from her and a betrayal by the ones who were suppose to protect her.

Emily writes about a subject she is familiar with. I cried and was appalled at what Hannah had went through and the long road to healing. It was very hard to distinguish between the real facts and the story. You are inside the mind of the child , the young adult and finally the woman. Tak
Anna Green
Oct 25, 2010 Anna Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was just as stunning as the process of a butterfly's transformation from a dysfunctional world full of predators and danger, into a phase where it has hidden itself from the world, and finally when it takes flight, like a baby bird finally being pushed out of the nest. The chick could either fall or fly, and Hannah flew higher than the expectations around her forced her to do. A richly spun, beautiful tale of hardships being turned in to happiness, and desolation and despair into a ...more
Shannon
Jun 30, 2012 Shannon marked it as to-read
Won as a goodreads first read. Thank You Emily!

This is a heartbreaking and wonderful book that gives you a look at the life of an abused child into her adulthood. It shows the strength and power a woman has to have in order to not only survive, but thrive under any circumstances. It gives hope to us all.

Read this book. You will be glad you did!
Cheryl
Dec 08, 2010 Cheryl added it
An intimate peek into the life of a woman who blossomed from a young tormented and abused girl into a beautiful, honest and loving woman. Anyone who has endured sexual abuse should read this book. Side effects of sexual abuse can take many forms.
Amy Campbell
Sep 15, 2011 Amy Campbell rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2011, nonfiction
When I started reading this book, I was very concerned that It was going to be very depressing. I was very happy to discover that this was not the case. The book focuses more on Hannah's life after the abuse then on the abuse that happened. I thought this book did a great job of letting to see into the mind of an abused child and allowed you to understand the effect that abuse has over a person life. My only problems with this book was that it was confusing. I do not understand why Emily choose ...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
This was a psychologically intense 'novel based on true events' that took some dedication to plow through but ultimately I'm thankful that I made the journey with Emily. Out of great respect for the author, I shut out the 'editor' in my head and catalogued each section as ‘topics’ rather than a sequential storyline. With that came a realization of the author’s voice, which dug into the psyche of someone that was raised by a mother with the same illness she had.
It was like enduring a root canal
Karen Stock
Sep 21, 2011 Karen Stock rated it it was ok
my overall impression of this book, it was difficult to read and was a little disjointed and hard to follow. I had a difficult time with her writing style.
What i enjoyed about the book was being able to see and understand her thought process especially when she was in her promiscuous stage and also when she was having a psychotic break. It was very real and eye opening.

I appreciate her honesty in the book. I am sure it was very cathartic for her to write it. Still not sure if I would recommend
Marie
Apr 27, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it
Butterfly Woman is a tale of a girl who grew up with a mother with a mental illness. As she gets older she begins to show signs of mental illness herself. Even though the subject matter is difficult to read at times, it is a great insight to what is going on in the mind.
Sharon Huether
Sharon Huether rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Annabelle
Annabelle rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Susan Halley
Susan Halley rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2011
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Emily Lutze
Jul 19, 2010 Emily Lutze rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Mariana Darboe
Mariana Darboe rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Emily Lutze
Jun 25, 2010 Emily Lutze rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
mrs Julie L Morton
mrs Julie L Morton rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Teri Jackson
Teri Jackson marked it as to-read
Bradley
Bradley marked it as to-read
Eden
Eden marked it as to-read
Kathy Conley
Kathy Conley marked it as to-read
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Bobbie
Bobbie marked it as to-read
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Stacey B.
Stacey B. marked it as to-read
Laurie Jameson
Laurie Jameson marked it as to-read
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
The Rainbow Zebra
The Rainbow Zebra marked it as to-read
Earlene Glasgow
Earlene Glasgow marked it as to-read
Adina
Adina marked it as to-read
Attabey
Attabey marked it as to-read
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2010
Sally Pearce
Sally Pearce marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2010
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Darcy Stewart
Darcy Stewart marked it as to-read
Debi Sullivan
Debi Sullivan marked it as to-read
Joan Wise
Joan Wise marked it as to-read
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Amanda Skinner
Amanda Skinner marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2010
Laura marked it as to-read
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2010
  • Textual Healing
  • False Justice: Eight Myths that Convict the Innocent
  • In Stitches
  • Cassie Draws the Universe
My writing is a raw and honest expression of who I am. My first book "Butterfly Woman" was released for the purpose of connecting readers to the frailty and beauty of the human spirit. A raw tale of my struggle to evolve as a woman; I challenge others to let go the pain of the past and be set free.
More about Emily Lutze...