Start by marking “All Facts Considered: The Essential Library of Inessential Knowledge” as Want to Read:
All Facts Considered: The Essential Library of Inessential Knowledge

All Facts Considered: The Essential Library of Inessential Knowledge

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
For the bestselling miscellany market, an NPR librarian's compendium of fascinating facts on history, science, and the arts

How much water do the Great Lakes contain? Who were the first and last men killed in the Civil War? How long is a New York minute? What are the lost plays of Shakespeare? What building did Elvis leave last? Get the answers to these and countless other
Published October 1st 2010 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about All Facts Considered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Facts Considered

Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Knowledge seekers
I love to learn! And I learned some interesting things:

- Thousand Island salad dressing is actually named for a thousand islands - more precisely, the 1,864 islands in the St. Lawrence River between the United States and Canada.

- Saltimbocca: jump into the mouth
Linguini: little tongues
Arrabbiata: angry style
Tiramisu: lift me up
Orecchiette: little ears
Puttanesca: in the style of a prostitute
Vermicelli: little worms
Strozzapreti: strangled or choking priest

- Within Christianity, for exam
Bill
Nov 15, 2010 Bill rated it it was ok
Meh. As a rule, I like collections of inesential knowledge, but this one didn't quite do it for me. Perhaps it was because I bristle at statements like "Most Librarians - and other well-organized types - consider lists to be an essential element of life, without which everything would descend into chaos." I'm not sure we're that much more into lists than other white collar professions. Of course, I am writing this on goodreads, so perhaps she has a point..
Teressa
Jul 03, 2014 Teressa rated it it was amazing
"I Love FACTS! This was full of great information!"
This was a terrific book and I would definitely listen to 'All Facts Considered: The Essential Library of Inessential Knowledge' again. It was an eye-opener. I love learning the origin of things, their meanings and the thought and history behind things. There were several moments and facts that I particularly liked in this book. I like the meaning behind the names of Italian food. That was great. I also love the fact that quarks come in flavors
Megan Richardson
Feb 23, 2011 Megan Richardson rated it it was ok
Normally I like books like this, but this one fell short. Some of the information was interesting, but it wasn't organized in any sort of way. Might be a good coffee table book, but other than that...
Blog on Books
Feb 24, 2011 Blog on Books rated it liked it
Plastic Soup? Fullerenes and Buckyballs? Giant Meat Flowers? Talk about useless knowledge, this book is full of it! Resting somewhere between the Guinness Book of World’s Records and Ripley’s Believe It or Not, comes “All Facts Considered: The Essential Library of Inessential Knowledge,” a lightweight compendium of oddities and curiosities that will alternatively bore you or boggle the mind (depending on the topic) if you’re not careful.

In dividing this ‘knowledge’ into three sections (Memory an
Janel
Mar 10, 2011 Janel rated it liked it
This book is written by my colleague Kee Malesky who patiently answered my question about 'how the book writing was going' every time I saw her at work. I really enjoyed reading the introduction to the book. Kee highlights main reasons on why us librarians are librarians. Often times Kee's name is the librarian named on the air, but she was gracious in the introduction and acknowledgments to recognize the team of librarians that NPR has.

Instead of pulling out facts included in the book that I fo
David Ward
All Facts Considered: The Essential Library of Inessential Knowledge by Kee Malesky (John Wiley and Sons Inc. 2010) (001) is the kind of trivia book I enjoy - useless but interesting true facts and back stories. Here is an example: "We all learned that there are three) states of matter--solid, liquid, and gas--but there is actually a fourth [plasma]...Plasma is an ionized gas whose atoms have released electrons due to the influence of heat or another form of energy, which thus alters the electri ...more
Lola
May 03, 2016 Lola rated it liked it
I love fiction will all my heart, I really do, but at the end of the day I believe the best stories lie in history. That being said, I like to know things others don't really care about. How many children did our 10th president John Tyler have? 15. Richest man on the Titantic? John Jacob Astor IV. When was the modern bikini first introduced? Post WWII. Now you can see my curse. That being said, any book titled The Essential Library of Inessential Knowledge is going to grab my attention.

This wa
Michelle
Jan 02, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
This is a compendium of trivia and other assorted facts from a fact checker/librarian at NPR. The book is organized into sections and has a nice flow between items, each of which gets a short, descriptive section, from 1-2 paragraphs to 1-2 pages. Some of the facts were new to me (Emily Dickinson was in fact a redhead), while others were more well known to me, particularly in the science and nature categories. The book is easy to pick up and read piece by piece and is obviously well researched w ...more
Abby
Mar 17, 2011 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: NPR fans and curious people
Recommended to Abby by: Ruth
This book is like reading Jeopardy. The longest that any chunk is a page and a half and some are only a paragraph or two. But this is a collection of some of the most odd and interesting facts ever. I laughed, I was amazed, I got teary... A perfect book for when you don't have lots of time. And for people who love odd and obscure pieces of information.
Bryce Holt
Jan 18, 2011 Bryce Holt rated it it was ok
Trying to meld the likes of Richard Zacks' "An Underground Education" and "5 People Who Died During Sex" by Karl Shaw, this is insipid information that should fall flat to any reference guru. At least Zacks was shocking and Shaw was fun. A total snooze.
Kate
Aug 02, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: nf
Akin to a sports-stats book with a sense of humor, Malesky's (how cool is her job, librarian to NPR????) neatly organized fact-book is filled with fascinating information and a resource list that fulfills my Good Reference Work needs. Fun.
Lynn Lerch
Feb 24, 2011 Lynn Lerch rated it it was amazing
A great book for trivia readers and others who just like trivia. The author of this book is NPR librarian who gives us many facts and figures. As a former library asstant (paraprofessional position) I found it very informative.
Donna
Jun 28, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Filled with so many facts about things that were totally interesting to me and others that I didn't care about but were interesting to read about anyway. It was a great read and fun to share with others too.
Joshua
May 08, 2011 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book of the random facts that kee Malesky has found while doing research for NPR shows. Some I've heard before, others are entirely new. If you love random trivia this is a fun book for you.
Charity
Sep 07, 2011 Charity rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy
My husband and I used to keep a book of jokes and funny anecdotes on the back of the toilet. This book could take its place.

(Received as an Advanced Reader Copy from Goodreads.)
Alice
Apr 17, 2011 Alice rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful facts in an easy-to-understand format. I had a blast reading this! Lots of learning, with enough weirdness and silliness for me. I hope to see more from him!
Nate
Jul 28, 2014 Nate rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Just a book of useless information and trivia that few people care about but thats why i love it one of the few books that sort of just list facts and i love it
Suzanne
From the introduction:
"Facts and information are the nourishment, the lifeblood, the raison d'être, and also the bane and despair of librarians and researchers."
Jack Tomascak
Jul 05, 2013 Jack Tomascak rated it liked it
An interesting grouping of facts and context surrounding them. Good bathroom / leisure book to skim through, not digestible well when consumed traditionally.
Francesca
May 07, 2011 Francesca rated it liked it
Great read for librarians who deal in facts all day long. Unfortunately, too many to recall. But it has a very helpful index!
Rick
Jul 24, 2013 Rick rated it liked it
Lots of fun facts in here (and well researched by none other than everyone's favorite NPR librarian, Kee Malesky).
Teresa
Nov 05, 2010 Teresa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
well- skimmed. i decided it was most fun to work from the index. like emily dickinson. was a redhead. who knew?
Paul Childs
Lots of interesting snippets in this book. It was a quick read and had some stories in there I hadn't heard of before.
Lorraine
Jul 29, 2013 Lorraine rated it really liked it
Fascinating potpourri of facts. I read it in the bedroom but good for bathroom reading too!
Kelly
Jan 15, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, nonfiction
A delightful collection of trivia delivered in occasionally witty style.
Joanne
Dec 23, 2010 Joanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
Lots of little known facts, all of which I have already forgotten!
Sharon
Aug 22, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
I love books filled with trivia and related facts.
Lori
May 05, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok
An interesting small book of inessential facts.
April
Didn't finish because it was due at the library
  • Back to the Best Books
  • The Incredible Human Journey
  • The End of War
  • Pitchforks and Torches: The Worst of the Worst, from Beck, Bill, and Bush to Palin and Other Posturing Republicans
  • Cartographies of Time: A History of the Timeline
  • The Atlas of New Librarianship
  • From Then to Now: A Short History of the World
  • The kingdom of infinite space : a fantastical journey around your head
  • We Have Met the Enemy: Self-Control in an Age of Excess
  • California Crackup: How Reform Broke the Golden State and How We Can Fix It
  • Morning, Noon, and Night: Growing Up and Growing Old with Literature
  • The Calculus Diaries: How Math Can Help You Lose Weight, Win in Vegas, and Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
  • The Great Chain of Being: A Study of the History of an Idea
  • XML in a Nutshell
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Logan: A Trilogy
  • The Army of the Republic: A Novel
  • My Mind Is Not Always My Friend, a Guide for How to Not Get in Your Own Way

“Facts and information are the nourishment, the lifeblood, the raison d'etre, and also the bane and despair of librarians and researchers.” 2 likes