Start by marking “The Homeplace (Singing River Series #1)” as Want to Read:
The Homeplace (Singing River Series #1)

The Homeplace (Singing River #1)

Lanie took out her journal and dated it April 12, 1928. She started the habit of writing down everything that happened to her when she was no more than eight years old, and now she had six journals completely full. She thought about the prize at school, almost prayed to win, but somehow she could not. 'God,' she finally said, 'I'll do my best, and if you'll help me, that's ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Homeplace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homeplace

Katie
Aug 02, 2010 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got 5 stars almost from the get-go!! The Homeplace grabbed me from the first few pages, Lanie’s character is instantly likable and her selfless attitude is evident from the very beginning. The whole atmosphere of the family was refreshingly enjoyable; they were a very close-knit family.

Since my family is much like that – close-knit – I enjoyed reading about how much they came together when the trials began to come upon them. The writing was filled with so much emotion that I often foun
Louise
Aug 23, 2009 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal novel!!!! This is the first book by Gilbert Morris that I've read and I was so impressed. There are three other books in this series of four: "The Dream", "The Miracle", and "The Courtship" which I've just ordered. I couldn't put this book down and was shocked when I went to turn the page and found there was no more story, the book had ended! Thankfully, I realized there are more novels, as I cannot continue on until I find out what happens in this saga about the Freeman family!

"Lanie
Natalie Vellacott
Morris was the first Christian fiction writer I read and this the first book. I picked this up in a Christian bookshop and enjoyed it so much that I bought the rest of the series of 4. The story is set around a Christian family living in a simple rural area. It is about the various trials they experience due to death and absence of key members of the family for various reasons. I especially liked the sense of community encapsulated in the series and that everything is linked back to the strong C ...more
Mary
May 12, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
So the main character really isn't much to talk about. She's just an annoying perfect girl who never develops any personality. A total dud. No matter how much you read, she never does one thing to make her seem likeable or real. Also, the dialogue in this book is repetitive and basic. There isn't any great writing skill shown, and the dialogue just doesn't read well. The redeeming point, and the reason I bought all for books, is the secondary characters. Brother Ryan, Maeva, Davis, Annie, Aunt K ...more
Stacy
Jun 20, 2017 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Gilbert Morris book. I really enjoyed this historical story about a girl who is sweet, strong, caring and godly. I listened to the audiobook version and the the reader was wonderful! I highly recommend the audiobook! She makes the story come to life! It's almost like listening to an audio drama! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this book! I can't wait to listen to book 2 in this series!
Cheryl  Bennett
Jul 18, 2017 Cheryl Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to reading more of the series.
Loraine
Aug 29, 2011 Loraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gilbert Morris has once again given us a great work of historical fiction. Fourteen year old Lanie Belle Freeman of Fairhope Arkansas has high hopes for the future. A bright student, a great helper at home, a faithful follower of Christ, and a budding writer of poetry until tragedy strikes her family and the depression hits the entire US. Will Lanie be able to keep her family together through all the troubles that face them?

I loved the small town feel of this book. The characters were wonderful
LadyCalico
Jun 20, 2010 LadyCalico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book about the troubles of a young teen having to raise her siblings and deal with a variety of adult pressures during the Depression, having nothing to rely on except her own integrity, the kindness of neighbors, and ultimately the mercy and provision of God, who is the only one who can bring it all together and work it to the good. I have a particular interest in this period of history and have read much fiction and non-fiction about it, so I couldn't help but enjoy this bo ...more
Melinda
This is a wholesome book. It was really slow for me at first but picked up. If you don't like the talk of God this is not the book for you. It doesn't scream any particular religion, which I like. It just has a general talk of prayer and shows how people are the answer to a lot of our prayers. It is cheesy at times but cheesy usually means someone is trying to be good. Over all it is a decent book.
Cheryal
Okay this is a dang frustrating book. I just found out it was a series which explains why you are reading along and the book just stops. Stupid book. AND all that after I tolerated the lengthy preaching that was in it. I enjoy Christian romance books as a rule, but this one was a long sermon and reminded me of my days in Texas as a protestant. Holy cow. In all fairness, I was touched by the faith of the kids envolved and thier antics. And no, I won't read the second one, too much drama.
Michelle
A great story about a family of five children, where the mother dies, the father has a tragedy shaken him and Lanie the oldest daughter must take care of her family anyway she can~ but to honor her parents and glorify God! The Almighty allows this family to go through some difficulties, but not without Him and His promises!
An excellent story written, a help for the christian to go by faith and trust in Him alone in life!
Heather
Jan 05, 2011 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Overall, I liked this book. The characters were fantastic; quirky and engaging. However, I thought the story was a little...uneven. I liked the book best when its tone was light, but many of the events in it were very serious. I really enjoyed Lanie teaching her brothers and sister and how characters talk about praying. Do be aware that this book is the first in a series, so some major plot points will not be resolved by the end of the book.
Jeri
Feb 03, 2011 Jeri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

"had promise but was way too ""religious"" for me ….As the year 1928 begins, fourteen-year-old Lanie Belle Freeman of Fairhope, Arkansas, has bright hopes for the future. Her father has launched a new business, and her mother is expecting her fifth baby. Lanie has dreams of going to college and being a writer. Then tragedy strikes....." Would not read this author again.
Judy
Apr 06, 2010 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Christian book, a free download for my Kindle, had a good story and it was well written. My only "complaint" is that the heroine, Lanie, was just a little bit too "perfect." She was certainly likeable and not sappy-sweet -- but almost as good as an angel on earth. Yet, overall, I liked her so much that I want to read more about her and her family.

Jan Frew
Jan 18, 2012 Jan Frew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had potential. The story line was interesting and the setting was an interesting time in America. But it fell flat in character development and left me not really caring what happened to them. I did not like that the book ended without actually resolving the issues and problems, just kind of open-ended, I guess so you read the next book. Not a fan.
Elizabeth
Jun 14, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-reads
I really enjoyed this book. Great story based on trusting the Lord with all areas of your life. Walk by faith not by sight...and that's exactly what the characters in this book sought after. Very heartwarming story. Strong family bond was evident throughout the book. Looking forward to reading the others in this series.
Mikaylah Brooke Hansen
The Singing River Series by Gilbert Morris is everything! Touching, heartwarming, classy, inspiring, entirely interesting, and much more!

LANIE FREEMAN is an ideal role-model and amazingly realistic!

You must read this book... it is amazing for all ages!

Reccomended for age group (15-30!)
Darlene Wilson
Jan 22, 2017 Darlene Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
14 yr old Lanie Belle Freeman of Fairhope, Arkansas - happy on 5 acre homeplace dreams of college - becoming a writer. Father, launching new business - mother - expecting 5th child - til tragedy strikes It's left to Lanie to keep the family together & hold on to their home in the Great Depression.
Tanya
Dec 13, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This book is about 5 siblings during the beginning of the depression. After losing her mother during childbirth and her father is imprisoned Laine works hard to care for her family. We see her as a 14 year old highschool freshman mature into a 17 year old young woman who managers her household.
Ratforce
Gilbert Morris is known for his faith-based and heartwarming historical fiction. He has written dozens of historical series in different locations, but you may want to start with this book, which is the first in the Singing River series and is set during the Great Depression.
Sharon
Jul 07, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, christian
Reading this book was like a breath of fresh air! I enjoyed meeting this fictional, close knit family and following them as they worked to over come and depended on The Lord. I wasn't ready for it to end so have purchased the other three books in this series! Recommended
Michelle
Apr 09, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This first book of the series really pulls you in. It is hard to wait till the next times I can open the book to read more! It is another great book by Morris.
Jequita
Oct 18, 2014 Jequita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story and rings of God's Grace
Chelsea Chappell
Execellent!
Nita
Feb 11, 2008 Nita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I'm not a big fan of his, but this series made me cry and I can't wait to read them all.
Amy McIlhaney
Aug 13, 2013 Amy McIlhaney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was not sure at first because I loved the House of Winslow series. But I quickly fell in love with these characters. Great series!
Lisa
Singing River series / book one
Angela
Apr 20, 2015 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ok book. Too much "loose" romance for me to be able to really appreciate it (not explicit, just "loose").
Brenton
Sep 18, 2011 Brenton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminder of what God can do in our lives.
Maile
Apr 24, 2008 Maile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the Singing River series. It's clean but has an intriguing story line
  • Sushi for One? (Sushi, #1)
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Robin and Ruby
  • In Every Heartbeat
  • The Real Enemy (Sophie Trace Trilogy #1)
  • Exposure
  • Fireworks
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Wounded Healer (Homeland Heroes #1)
  • Daisy Chain (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #1)
  • The Cheating Curve
  • The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love (Sweetgum Knit #2)
  • Indivisible
  • Petals From The Sky
  • Day By Day (Steeple Hill Home Ties, #2)
  • The First Drop of Rain
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)

Singing River (4 books)
  • The Dream (Singing River Series #2)
  • The Miracle (Singing River Series #3)
  • The Courtship