Start by marking “Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God (and the Unlikely People Who Help You)” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  49 reviews
What does a Hip-Hop artist, Waffle House waitress, tire salesman, and disabled girl have to do with discovering spiritual truth? What if embracing authentic Christianity is a journey of unlearning? Welcome to Jim Palmer's world!

Don Miller meets Anne Lamott meets Brian McLaren in this tale of shedding religion and plunging into uncharted depths of knowing God. Jim Palmer, e
Published October 1st 2006 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Divine Nobodies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divine Nobodies

Brandon
The main premise of this book is that God works through "common" people and not exlusively the ordained. In fact, the author suggests that those working outside of the church have the greatest impact for Christ. He uses lots of examples and includes his own story (Mega-church and all) to help illustrate his thoughts. His desire to love others for Christ is very inspiring. I read a lot of pseudo-Christian life books and I rate this near the top.
Ibelisse Sanchez
Jim Palmer’s book Divine Nobodie: Shedding Religion to Find God has serendipitously become a timely landmark in my spiritual journey with God. An unveiling took place right before my eyes. It’s as if someone wiped away layers of tradition and opened up a world of possibilities, yet, in keeping with God’s truth.

In all honesty, when I read that the author was described as an Emergent pastor on the back cover of the book, I was holding my breath as I turned each page. Why? Well, I was expecting som
Stefanie
I don't know that I would have enjoyed this book as much as I did had I picked it up at any other point in my life. It's funny how some books find YOU at just the right time. I've been rather disenchanted with the conventional, bureaucracy of the modern day church (I'm talking Presbyterian) encouraged greatly because of the inner strife within the denomination about the ordination of LGBTQ pastors. *side note- I firmly believe that should be ordained*
Palmer's experience of hitting rock bottom in
Jessie Weaver

I was pleasantly surprised by this new chronicle in postmodern Christianity, Divine Nobodies by Jim Palmer. I was expecting yet another Blue Like Jazz (Donald Miller) rip-off - using different words but the same basic idea that a relationship with Christ is more important than church rules. Palmer approaches the topic relationally.

Each chapter in Divine Nobodies is based on his experience with a person. Usually this person is someone he had prejudgments about during his experience as a Protestan
Brian
Divine Nobodies was just what I needed, a great follow up to "So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore".
I have found Jim Palmer very relatable and better at asking questions than giving answers. He offers a fresh approach that leaves my previous involvement in organized religion as a limitation in my ability to have a relation with God.
Rachel
Jan 28, 2008 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has had a bad experience in a church
Recommended to Rachel by: Mike P.
The last 1/3 of the book made the whole thing totally worth reading, especially about his experiences in South Asia.

I really appreciated his honesty throughout the book. Most people who went through what he did would not have come out so strong, and this is a must-read for anyone who has been burned by a "church."
Anneselden7 Selden Berry
Aug 03, 2009 Anneselden7 Selden Berry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those with a curiosity about thinking outside the box re: church
I really enjoyed this book. It is not the best-written book I have ever read, but it makes up for it by honestly talking about many issues that trouble people who love Christ but not religion. That is what made it a shining star in my opinion.
Tiffany Moen
Loved this book, as did my daughter. It inspired her to get involved with the fight to end human trafficking/slavery. It also challenged me to expand my views of faith and humanity.
Dawn Quinley
I loved, loved, loved this book. One of my favorite books of all time.
Jeff
This is the fastest I've ever read any non-fiction book for fun, partly because it was a biography of the author written like a story. I loved the way the author wrote about his life in a conversational manner, and really kept on talking about how he found God in the most unlikely places (opens up the dialogue about how God actually speaks to His children, I mean isn't it curious that the verse says "My sheep here my voice and they know me" and yet so much we don't hear stories of people hearing ...more
Sue
This is an excellent book! I bought it on the basis of reviews at Amazon - it was recommended based on other books I had read and enjoyed.

It's basically descriptions of random people who have influenced the author's life, beginning with two introductions that outline his unhappy childhood. The various people he introduces in the book - which include a waitress, a dog, a gay friend, an Anglican minister, and his own small daughter - become metaphors for different stages in his life.

Some of thes
JJ Landis
Best book on Christianity I think I've ever read - he digs deep to the heart of Jesus and shows how religion gets in our way. Jesus' top concern was loving people. That simple. Jim Palmer does a good job of showing us where he went wrong in "worshipping" self, church, power during his stint in a "megachurch" but yet he has a way of not bashing others who are still involved in organized religion. He rips apart all his own prejudices in a way that showed me some of mine - but yet I didn't feel con ...more
Brenda Funk
I enjoyed this collection of amazing stories of 'ordinary' people that impacted the life and spiritual direction of the author. Easy to read, with some profound insights into life, looking for meaning in the inexplicable ups and downs we experience as we travel through it. It encourages me to look for the voice and the hand of God in less than obvious places -- rarely in churches, or in the voices of our 'spiritual' leaders, but in those 'common' and 'ordinary' experiences we encounter with peop ...more
Brandi
This book is so enlightening. It's well written and an easy read. I related to it on so many levels. I definitely recommend this book. It's outside of the box and that's a good thing.
Nick Johnson
before reading this book, I don't think I had ever heard of Jim Palmer. Based on reading the book, if he heard me say that earlier in his life, it would have really bothered him....now he wouldn't care so much. That transformation of thought and attitude is part of what he conveys through glimpses of encounters he has had with various people throughout his life. He is a broken man who has discovered how whole and beautiful and fulfilling a life following Jesus can be.

I thought it was a good boo
Tim Good
I could have easily written this quick reading book myself if I had had the time (and the self awareness, spiritual discernment, intelligence, humility, honesty, bravery, trials, and pathos)! Jim has written a palate cleansing travelogue for the Theophiles and ecclesiaphobes in all of us for whom organized religion has left a bad taste in our mouths.
Herbert DeMattos
Highly recommend to the burned out ones
Nick Holbrow
Not yet finished this book has made me laugh and made me cry and it is truly amazing thought provoking but most of all liberating. If you think you have no hope in god without buying into the programme of religion, read this. Great book it has been a long time that a book encouraged me to look at myself challenge me but let me know i am truly loved. Challenge your preconceptions God is found in the world we are not all alike as humans so God is at work all over bringing love and life.
Charlie
This was a great book. Jim's life and experiences have inspired me to be more aware of those people I encounter in day to day life. The chapter on "Sex, Lies, and Paratroop Deployment" made me realise that I often live in a state of "out of sight out of mind". Jim spent some time with "International Justice Mission", a group that rescues young children from the horrors of child prostitution. He reminds us that God's love for these kids is no different to His love for us. Well worth the read.
Sandy
There was a lot here that really spoke to where I am right now. I'm not sure there's a whole lot that traditional Christianity has to offer me anymore. Lots of food for thought about what a real relationship with God looks like. And Palmer's point is that it's not what professional Christianity is usually peddling. This is a good starting point for people who are "spiritual but not religious" but are still looking to grow within the Christian faith.
Ruben
Eloquently written. I was clued to this book. I loved the journey that this book took me on. Jim has a wonderful way of viewing people and life in general that's DEEPLY refreshing and profound. I've shared this book with several friends who've journeyed onward...outside of organized religion. Each time, I get reports of people saying o me,"I cannot put this book down."
Christa
This book was very helpful for me to read. It was such an encouragement to me reading Jim's observations and personal stories. I like that it was not a hateful diatribe against organized religion, instead it was a thoughtful journal of his experiences and how God was leading all along....using unexpected people and occupations to point Jim to Himself.
Dayna
This is a fantastic book especially for people disillusioned with the institutional church. This book helps us Jesus lovers remember we need God because he delights in us and made us not just to save us from our sins. He wants us to just be with him, not just study his word and obey it.
I loved reading all the different encounters he had with God through so many different people. This would make for great small group discussion. Its easy to read this book at your own pace. I read about a chapter a month... a lot to think about.
Warren Benton
well this book taught me things I didn't know I didn't know. so often. we live our lives based on our plans and often miss when and what God has planes for us. one major thing I took from this book is I need to be open to listening for God's voice.
Lyn
Love this book, it really resonated with me. I've had the opportunity to meet Jim and was very impressed that he practices what he preaches. In many ways this provided a succinct voice to the thoughts I had been having for some time about church.
Robin
I'm having a hard time finishing this book. It's like Blue Like Jazz, with each chapter being a little essay, and some are very good. I'm just not that into it, though. I'm close to the end, so I'll finish soon.
Julie
This book helped me see God's grace in everyone, my mechanic, waitress and sales clerk for example. Shedding off religion and learning what relationship is like with the divine through everyday people.
Amanda
Great book on how we can find God in places that we never would have expected. I really enjoyed all of the little stories, made me open my eyes and look around to see where I see God in my surroundings.
Steve Robbins
This was a good book. It really opened my eyes to how judgemental I can be and how quickly I label people. It also reminded me of what is important (compassion, relationship.) I would recommend to everyone.
GOD 1 11 Nov 02, 2009 11:34AM
  • He Loves Me!: Learning to Live in the Father's Affection
  • The Misunderstood God: The Lies Religion Tells About God
  • Everything Must Change
  • Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity
  • Adventures in Missing the Point
  • The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus
  • True Story: A Christianity Worth Believing in
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
  • This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God
  • Following Jesus Through the Eye of the Needle: Living Fully, Loving Dangerously
  • Bo's Café
  • Sin Boldly: A Field Guide for Grace
  • Prayer
  • Living Your Strengths: Discover Your God-Given Talents and Inspire Your Community
  • They Found the Secret: Twenty Lives That Reveal a Touch of Eternity
  • They Like Jesus But Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations
  • Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God
Jim has a Master of Divinity degree from Trinity Divinity School in Chicago. He was a successful Senior Pastor before he left institutional church and organized religion to explore new dimensions of his relationship with God.

Since 2005 he has been chronicling his journey beginning with Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God (and the unlikely people who help you), and then Wide Open Spaces
More about Jim Palmer...
Wide Open Spaces: Beyond Paint-By-Number Christianity Being Jesus in Nashville: Finding the Courage to Live Your Life (whoever and wherever you are) Notes from (over) the Edge: Unmasking the Truth to End Your Suffering The Pocket Book of Prayers

“Perhaps everyone finds him or herself a time or two sifting through the rubble and ruins of a devastated life, wondering whether or not it's worth rebuilding or even salvageable.” 9 likes
“My striving couldn't get me any closer to knowing God. He had always been there, waiting for me to give up and listen.” 3 likes