Start by marking “Unholy Awakening (Hanno Stiffeniis, #4)” as Want to Read:
Unholy Awakening (Hanno Stiffeniis, #4)

Unholy Awakening (Hanno Stiffeniis #4)

A woman's body has been found at the bottom of a well. The death wounds are startling: two small, round punctures to the jugular vein. . . .

Vampire fever is spreading throughout the countryside, and suspicions soon fall on the recently arrived Emma Rimmele. Investigator Hanno Stiffeniis must do everything he can to find the true culprit before the mob's hysteria reaches it
Published September 28th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Unholy Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unholy Awakening

Jul 13, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
This mystery series is new to me, and while I'm not generally a fan of the historical mystery (Brother Cadfael notwithstanding) this is was a good read.

Set during the French occupation of Prussia (during Napoleon's reign), it's also a time when reason and superstition collide. Our hero is firmly on the side of reason, looking for natural causes for the supposedly supernatural. In this case, deaths caused by a vampire - the local population wants to dig up the bodies and stake them, he'd prefer t
Shawna Millard
Nov 01, 2010 Shawna Millard rated it it was amazing
A truly creative historical crime fiction tale. Stiffeniis is human inside and out but chasing after supposed vampires. Gregorio writes a wicked story leading us into the realm of unbelief and opening our eyes to the possibilities of the criminal mind.
Amy rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2011
Dec 23, 2010 Will rated it it was ok
While the book was overall an easily read book, while adding suspense where it should, the most aggrevating part was the obvious outcome. Halfway through the book you knew 90% of the outcome. Granted there were details that didn't come out until the end, you had to endure over half the book when you knew where it was going.
Like the Minnesota "Monkeywrench" novels, this one is part of a series written by two persons under one nom de plume. Despite the purple title, I found this one quite offbeat and amusing. It's a vampire story, or more accurately, a story about the hysteria that folk beliefs about vampires can cause.
The setting is 1810 Prussia; the narrator is a magistrate of a town who works in collaboration with a Byronic French colonel to solve several murders visited upon both the French invaders and the loca
Breeze rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2011
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2011
Jun 08, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Finally, a vampire book that I really liked. As is often the case, a mystery provides the nominal frame for much bigger themes. In "Unholy Awakenings," Magistrade Hanno Stiffeniis, a student of the pholosopher Immanuel Kant, finds himself investigating several guresome murders that the locals believe are the work of vampires. Throw in a setting of 1810 Prussia in bleakest autumn accupied by Napoleon's army and this makes a great read for fans of Nordic Noir. Fortunately, this book is one of a se ...more
Jul 27, 2011 Guy rated it liked it
Suspected vampirism in early 19th century East Prussia...what's not to like about that? More period and local atmosphere, maybe, and a slightly less breathlessly imaginative protagonist? I don't get the sense that the authors know the area and the period well.
This book was just OK. I felt that it was at times difficult to follow/read, where I was reading a passage and then going back to read it over again because it didn't really make sense to me. The main character of Hanno Steffaniis was interesting but not enough to make me read more in this series.
Carlos Burga
Sep 10, 2016 Carlos Burga rated it did not like it
I have to admit that I was attracted to this book by the amazing allure of the cover and title. Unfortunately for the reader, especially if they are unfamiliar with Gregorio’s previous work, the book is much more akin to a mystery novel set in Prussia during the Napoleonic wars than the vampire book implied by the cover and title. While the book is not without its merits as a mystery novel, the narrative is so drawn out that it becomes hard to stay engaged. Frankly, I could only recommend this b ...more
Russell rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Kris rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2012
Janice Russell
Sep 30, 2012 Janice Russell rated it liked it
I didn't like this one as well as previous books in the series, although it had some good moments. There were also times when it seemed to be dragging along and my attention waned.
Sep 24, 2012 Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, historical
This is the fourth in the series of historical fiction novels taking place during the late Napoleonic years and featuring a small town magistrate turned detective. Known for its vivid depiction of late 18th and early 19th century Prussia, this novel yet again sucks you right into a believable world. Starting with the very first novel: Critique of Criminal Reason, the author(s) Michael Gregorio does not shun away from describing life as it truly was around 1790, dark, dirty and crude. A style suc ...more
Bradley Herrup
Bradley Herrup rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Annalisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
Apr 14, 2013 Kat rated it liked it
The setting (Napoleonic era Prussia) and the characters were interesting. The plot completely fell apart at the end, and none of the deaths were properly explained.
Sheryl rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Jul 11, 2013 Trace rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-mystery
I hadn't tried this authors books before, and was pleasantly surprised.
Despite not reading the first book in the series I could still follow the plot too
Here's my full review -
Anne rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Soraya Hekate
Jan 03, 2014 Soraya Hekate rated it really liked it
Petra rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2014
Jerry Kimbro
Apr 18, 2014 Jerry Kimbro rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth Hanno Stiffeniis mystery, set in the early years of the 19th century during the French occupation of Prussia. Stiffeniis is the local Prussian magistrate and has the unenviable position of bringing criminals to justice and meeting the adminstrative demands of the French conquerors. He has however helped solve mysteries in the past to the satisfaction of both French and Prussian authorities.

So it is no surprise that they call him in when a series of murders inexplicably grip
Bert Vert
Bert Vert rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Chris rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Cherry Trott
Cherry Trott rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Greg Z
Dec 14, 2015 Greg Z rated it liked it
I've read the previous three books in this series, and wasn't particularly excited about this fourth one, as I'm beginning to think something like "not another vampire book." (I was blown away by Anne Rice's brilliant resurrection of this genre back in the 1970's, and I can't help but compare all vampire books since to Rice.) I believe that within Gregorio's 450+ pages of "Unholy Awakening" (awesome title and cover art work!)there might lurk a very good 300-page who-done-it entitled "War and Pea ...more
Jan 24, 2016 Cecilia rated it really liked it
Michael Gregoria is a new author for me. His writing style is complex and contains lots of adjectives and adverbs to better define the characters and action. The story has elements of mystery, evil, history and romance. It was on the new reads shelf at the library and I found myself trying to read too fast.

Not a book you can skim as I quickly learned so I had to slow down and make a concious effort to absorb the story.

Michael Gregorio is the pen name of Michael G. Jacob and Daniela De Gregorio
Apr 28, 2016 Holly rated it it was ok
I've read a lot of really great books in my day, this just wasn't one of them. I liked the time period. I liked the main character until he was such a jerk to his wife. I got within three chapters of the end last night and put the book down and went to sleep. I wasn't particularly exhausted. If the book was really good, I would have stayed up and finished it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Second Violin (Inspector Troy, #6)
  • Children of Wrath (Willi Kraus, #2)
  • Shadow and Light (Berlin Trilogy, #2)
  • London Calling (Susanna and the Spy, #2)
  • The Thief-Taker (Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner #1)
  • Red-Robed Priestess (Maeve Chronicles, #4)
  • Stettin Station (John Russell, #3)
  • The Revolt of Gunner Asch
  • Selbs Mord (Selb, #3)
  • A Game of Spies
  • Orders from Berlin (Inspector Trave, #3)
  • A Game of Lies (Hannah Vogel, #3)
  • The Quiet Twin
  • The Killing of Emma Gross
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
  • The Pale House (Gregor Reinhardt, #2)
Daniela De Gregorio and Michael G. Jacob
More about Michael Gregorio...

Hanno Stiffeniis (4 books)
  • Critique of Criminal Reason (Hanno Stiffeniis, #1)
  • Days of Atonement (Hanno Stiffeniis, #2)
  • A Visible Darkness (Hanno Stiffeniis, #3)