Start by marking “The Temple Dancer: A Novel of India” as Want to Read:
The Temple Dancer: A Novel of India

The Temple Dancer: A Novel of India

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  49 reviews
India, 1657.
When Maya, a graceful, young temple dancer with a mysterious past, is sold into slavery, she enters a world of intrigue, violence, and forbidden love. Bought by a Portuguese trader and sold as a concubine to the dissolute vizier of Bijapur, she embarks on a treacherous journey.
In a caravan led by the dangerous settlement man Da Gama, she travels by elephant on
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published August 22nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Temple Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Temple Dancer

Ivana S.
In my humble opinion.. :)...

This book was amazing. I think it's great choice for people who read for escapism, full of adventure, passion.., an exciting story wrapped in the magic of 17th-century-India..

Although, those who are not into India's culture might not like it that much, because it's really a book about India. It's my number one book, not because it's the best book ever written but because the way it made me feel, took me away, to destinations described inside, made me feel like I w
Tracey
A really enjoyable read. I was up until the late night finishing this wonderful book, just had to get to the end.

The beginning moves along at a fast pace as we find ourselves drawn into the characters of the novel. I felt like I too was languishing on the howdah: the chatter of a thousand birds and the view of the dense overhanging trees so close I could touch them. India was in my soul.
Adventure was just around the corner - I could smell it.

So go the words flowing gracefully out before me. W
Michelle Stie
Sep 27, 2008 Michelle Stie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in India/Indian history
I found the female characters compelling, but the plot just plodded along. The author does try to be literary/artistic, but oftentimes the prose is ponderous and can be irritating.
Ariela
I never thought I would say this but John Speed now rivals Philippa Gregory as one of my favorite authors of historical fiction. Set in India in the year 1657, “The Temple Dancer” is a riveting tale of two women: Lucinda Desana, a beautiful Goan heiress; and Maya, a devadasi (temple dancer) who is bought by Lucinda’s family and sold as a concubine. They meet in Goa and travel through the Western Ghats by elephant, each heading towards a fate that has changed by the time their journey has ended. ...more
Laura Hamadi
I like how another reviewer described this book as "pause-filled" writing. There were times when the story would be racing and exciting. And other times where the plot was so slow I struggled to the next page. I liked this book, but not enough to read the whole trilogy.

I found myself hating the character of Maya, because I didn't feel that her personality and characteristics were consistent. One minute she seemed indifferent, then weak, then passionate, etc. Even Speed makes mention in the back
Alexis
This was an AMAZING book! I was totally enchanted. Last week I read a book that touched on India. This past week I just had to get my hands on something better. I am so glad I chose this!

The story centers around two women—Maya and Lucinda, in 17th century India. Lucinda is the last female of a Portuguese family in Goa, India. Her family, in trying to save itself and its fortune, purchase Maya, a devadasi or temple dancer, to sell as a concubine to the highest bidder in far away Bijapur, India.
Cayleigh
This novel is set in Hindustan (India) in 1657. We follow the Dasana family as they set up to make or break their fortunes in politics. I'm not quite sure what I expected this book to be after I read the the synopsis, but I do know that it wasn't quite it. It was good though, I haven't read many books at all set in India and there were quite a few characters that I really liked. Maya, the dancer in the title, Lucinda Dasana, Pathan & De Gama. I especially grew to despise The Brotherhood (eun ...more
Ana Mardoll
The Temple Dancer / 0-312-32548-7

"The Temple Dancer" is a fine first novel for a promising new author, although I am surprised by the description's reference to a "proposed trilogy", given the rather 'final' nature of the epilogue. Though not without its faults, the novel is an engaging read and is worth a look, particularly for fans of the genre.

To give credit to the author, the story is engaging and moves along nicely, with the exposition as fascinating and well written as the action. Speed ha
Ashley Arthur
I found this book on a list of historical fiction novels about India, so I picked it up at my library to give it a try. It is the first in a proposed trilogy (only 2 of the 3 books published so far) about Maya, a priestess who is sold as a slave.

In this story, Maya is bought by the Portuguese Dasana family as a gift for a political official they want to influence. The head of the Dasana family sends their "settlement man" De Gama and his niece Lucinda with a caravan of people to take Maya to her
Michelle
This was ok. Slow going. I can't describe this type of book well. I've read this type before, and all I can come up with is "pause-filled writing". Which is to say, not a lot of action or "ah ha" moments, but writing which makes you pause and think. Think about what it must have been like to be a colonist in India, a Christian in a country where Christianity is not dominant, a woman bound by culture, tradition, and, literally, corsets and layers of clothing. Throughout the book, I wanted Lilly t ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Not bad...Interesting cast of characters, the men being extrememly grotesque and cruel and the women beautiful and weak at times. You have Maya, a brainwashed temple dancer that honestly believes that opening her body to men is serving her god. Lucinda is a pampered Portuguese girl that is all about dresses and corsets and the woman she is in the end is amazing and I enjoyed reading her change. Geraldo, Victorio, and Slipper (and about 20 other fellows) are the most disgusting, vile men I have e ...more
Angie
I agree with a few other reviewers that this book had a slow start.
And it was front-loaded with culture and history lessons that could've perhaps been woven throughout... I also thought John Speed could've developed the characters a bit more before throwing them into an epic of action and romance. It wasn't always clear to me who the allies were and who the enemies were. Instead of feeling anticipation about which character would surprise me next, I just felt confused at times. But it was in tho
Nick Sweet
A rip roaring ride through a little known period in Indian history, the Temple Dancer is a wonderful book from author John Speed. Featuring two strong female protagonists, the book brings 1675 India to life. I would compare this book with a good novelization of Indiana Jones. It kept me occupied and entertained from start to finish.
Cristine
I love reading books set in other countries and time periods so that I can learn about other cultures but I had a hard time getting into this book at first because it just seemed to be giving me information rather than telling me a story.

However, once the plot picked up, I understood that the background information was necessary so that I would grasp the intricacies of the plot, the characters, the mannerisms, the relationships, etc.

I absolutely loved Maya, what a fascinating compelling complic
Prajnabati
When I started the book, I instantly fell in love with the backdrop and the potential of the story. I wanted to rate it 4 stars right away. The story progressed with many interesting characters, forbidden relationships, secret admiration etc. But alas! I found the story developed around Lucinda and not Maya,the temple dancer. The supposedly high points/climax in the book made the story, which started as a masterpiece of painting, made the book look like spicy RomCom with a splash of action in pl ...more
Ann Marie
This book led me to believe that the subject was the temple dancer and it would take place from her view. There was very little in the book that took place from Maya's view however. I felt as if the author took on too much story in here and was unable to finish any of them. The main characters she tended to kill off or send into the unknown and you don't really know what happens to them. As for Maya her character is inconsistant and not well developed. It would have been better if there was eith ...more
Janae
I was very excited to read this book. It sounded very intereting- 1697 in India. I ended up liking it, and wondering what the next books in the series will entail, but I found it a bit confusing and hard to read. The love stories are good, but again, it seems a bit hard to follow. I am tempted to actually read it again. I think I would like it better the second time. One of the reasons I found it difficult to read was because of the culture it entails- after looking up information on Wikipedia, ...more
Nabila Amr
John Speed erzählt hier eine wunderbare und farbenprächtig Geschichte über Indien. Das Buch liest sich flüssig und man verliebt sich sofort in die einzelnen Charaktere. Einfach wunderbar zu lesen. Auch das Ende ist überraschend. Zwar ist die Spannung hier nicht aufbauend, aber man kann das Buch trotzdem nicht aus den Händen legen.

Ich kann es nur empfehlen. Wenn man einfach sich in eine farbenprächtige Welt entführen lassen will ohne viel Spannung, ist dies Buch empfehlenswert. Einfach zum entsp
Kai Sousa
Sophomoric fiction writing with lots of plot holes. The history and languages in the book are well-researched, painting a rich tapestry of scenery as a lovely backdrop against a decent story line of intrigue and manipulation. Characters are largely under-developed and dialogue often feels awkward. Being that this is the first book of a trilogy, some of these things may be fixed or improved in book two, but book one didn't exactly leave me awaiting it's arrival on baited breath.
Sarah Wagner
The Temple Dancer is a tale of adventure which follows a unique group of travelers on their journey in seventeenth-century India. The characters are well-developed and each possesses their own history, but none dominates the narrative. The plot consisted of a great deal of intrigue, both inside and outside the court of a sultan, and had a few unexpected twists. The characters fit well into their world and I enjoyed this novel so much I am eager to read the sequel.
Erica
I thought this book would be a tad more historical so I could find out more about Indian culture in the 1500's, but still get a fun fiction story out of it...well, I did get a fun fiction story out of it. Not so much any historical information. This would be a great book to take to the beach or any location where you just want to relax and not have to concentrate, but if you're looking for something to make you think I'd find something else entirely.
Suze
This was a nice change of pace from the books I've read lately. I always enjoy historical novels about other cultures and countries. I wish there had been more historical background in this book, but the story was engrossing. At times it was hard to put down.

I liked the characters and the story line, and basically really enjoyed this book. I'd recommend it especially to anyone who enjoys reading about the splendors of India and it's people.
Mel
I started this one awhile back then got interrupted. I decided to finish it this week and I am so glad that I did. It's a excellent story filled with interesting characters, adventure, intrigue, and a little bit of mysticism. The story came together very well despite the many characters playing their games against each other. It all fits together in the end. I thought it was really enjoyable.
Amber
I'm not sure what I think, the last two books I read were so good Zemainder and Secrets of a Lady were amazing, this was a little slow going and then it ended abruptly without the resolution I like in a book. Not sure if it is cause this was written by a man or not but not so sure about this one. It did have some interesting characters which I enjoyed.
Hilary
So far, very interesting! It's got a lot of the great qualities of a fantasy book (exotic, engaging setting) but apparently is based on real historical facts, as much as they can be discerned, of India in the late 1500s. The plot is pure romance/fantasy, the characters are quite good, and I'm really enjoying it, though I'm not sure it's fine literature.
Linda
The book started off slow, and jumped around between several different story lines that all kind of tied together. You have to get into the book to see how they all connect together. Some of the story lines were really awesome, some were okay and not as well defined as they could be. Over all I really enjoyed the book, even the slow parts.
Donna Halloran
It took me forever to get into this book, but once I did I really enjoyed it. The story was wonderful. The characters were so real by the end. I knew nothing about this time in history in the middle east/india subcontinent. I am afraid I still know nothing, but at least I would recognize a few of the terms now :)
Valerie
I am pleasantly surprised by this book. This is a book that is different from what I typically read and I think it is quite good. A little slow at first because of the history and cultural lessons but now it is hard to put down. I will definitely read another book by this author.
MAP
I got 172 pages in, but I just couldn't make myself care. Not about the characters, or the plot, or the mystery, or what was going to happen to a single one of them. There's nothing wrong with this book, per se, there's just nothing right about it either.
Bill
As the Portuguese presence in India disappears, love, violence, and treachery abound around a temple dancer newly sold into slavery. Speed's first novel is an interesting look into clashes among Christian, Hindu, and Muslim in 17th century India.
  • The Dowry Bride
  • Beneath a Marble Sky
  • The Sultan's Harem
  • A Black Englishman: A Novel
  • Desirable Daughters
John Speed began studying Indian history, art, and religion while still in high school. For more than thirty years, his explorations deepened as he became absorbed in tales of the fall of the Mogul Empire and of the rise of the rebel prince Shivaji. During his many visits to India, he has stood on crumbling battlements, crawled through lightless caves, bathed in sacred rivers, wandered through for ...more
More about John Speed...
Tiger Claws: A Novel of India The Counties Of Britain: A Tudor Atlas The Counties of Britain: A Tudor Atlas Plan of Cardiff by John Speed, Dated 1610 Travel vans: a book about caravans, motorcaravans and their use

“The road is not certain, and the end of the journey cannot be seen. ” 7 likes
“When you dance, sister, you feel in your heart the blessing of the Goddess, her peace, her kindness. But when you are with him, then the power of the Goddess is in your heart, crashing through you. The Goddess is no thing of stone. The Goddess is breath, desire, despair. She is the green of the brushing leaf, the baby's cry, the lovers bite, the fragrance of the rose. You feel the Goddess moving through you. ” 6 likes