Start by marking “Charlaine Harris Shakespeare Lily Bard Complete Pb Set 1 5 Shakespeare's Landlord, Shakespeare's Champion, Shakespeare's Christmas, Shakespeare's Trollop, Shakespeare's Counselor (Lily Bard Shakespeare)” as Want to Read:

Charlaine Harris Shakespeare Lily Bard Complete Pb Set 1 5 Shakespeare's Landlord, Shakespeare's Champion, Shakespeare's Christmas, Shakespeare's Trollop, Shakespeare's Counselor (Lily Bard #1-5)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  811 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Lily Bard is starting over again. She’s disguised herself as much as she can, cutting her hair short and wearing baggy clothes, and she's moved to Shakespeare, Arkansas, where, working as a cleaning lady, she can sweep away the secrets of her dark, violent past. Before long, everyone is going to know Lily Bard’s name.
Published (first published 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about Charlaine Harris Shakespeare Lily Bard Complete Pb Set 1 5 Shakespeare's Landlord, Shakespeare's Champion, Shakespeare's Christmas, Shakespeare's Trollop, Shakespeare's Counselor

ALPHAreader
Apr 17, 2011 ALPHAreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I first read Charlaine Harris’s ‘Lily Bard’ series shortly after discovering her ‘Southern Vampire: Sookie Stackhouse’ books. I wanted to fill the Sookie void between books, and thought reading Harris’s previous works would be a good start. I’m so glad I did, because this series is now one of my all-time favourites.

‘Lily Bard’ is by far Harris’s darkest work. When Charlaine Harris was younger she was the victim of a sexual assault. With this knowledge in mind, it becomes clear that the ‘Lily Bar
Beth_Adele
Jun 02, 2011 Beth_Adele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

I am extremely conflicted over this book.
These books were actually better written than the Aurora Tea Garden books. Lily Bard makes for a far more interesting protagonist, though I don't like her very much at all. Which I suspect is probably what Harris intended, but if that were so, I think Harris has failed her. Throughout the series, Lily only seems to undergo superficial growth.

Delving in to the world of rape and sexual assault is fraught with difficulties and
Sati Marie Frost
Larissa
Mar 13, 2012 Larissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Shakespeare's Landlord.
Lily Bard is trying to keep a low profile, stay invisible, but she soon learns that is an impossibility in a small town. With a shattered past and a fear of discovery, the last thing Lily wanted was to be implicated in a murder, however she reluctantly finds that if she is to prove her innocence she is going to have to solve this murder on her own. But in retrospect the death of Shakespeare's landlord could have been the best thing to ever happen to Lily.

Shakespeare's Cham
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 Lizzie Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘The Lily Bard Mysteries Omnibus’ by Charlaine Harris
Published by Gollancz November 2010. ISBN: 978-0-575-09643-1

Charlaine Harris has for me always been linked with vampires mysteries which are not for me, but just before Christmas I received to review a beautiful book, which was by Charlaine Harris but announced itself as the The Lily Bard Mysteries. I just loved it.

Lily Bard lives in the town of Shakespeare. When looking for somewhere to live she fixed on this town purely because of its name.
ALPHAreader
Apr 09, 2011 ALPHAreader rated it it was amazing

B.C. Deeks
Jul 23, 2013 B.C. Deeks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery readers
Recommended to B.C. by: Lucky find
Shelves: mystery

I came across the first couple of books in this series at a second hand book store and was intrigued by the blurb, and of course the author's name. (It pre-dates Harris's breakout True Blood series.)

I’ll be honest, I skipped Book #2 because it wasn’t available in town, and I didn’t wait for my order from Amazon before reading the rest of the books. I’m still anxious to read Book 2 when it gets here which tells you how much I enjoyed this series!

What appealed to me was that it placed a dark, trou

Kat
Feb 27, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh, yet another of Harris' heroines that are just so engaging.

It's taken me quite a while to finish this omnibus - as it is so big - and I had to have a few breaks in between books. But overall, I just loved it.

Lily was darker than Harris' other lead characters (compared to Sookie, Harper & Aurora, who are all generally sweet but deadly - pun intended, haha) with a much more, ah, sordid past. Harris invokes the reader to feel empathetic towards Lily, but not pity her. She worked her way th
Lilie
Oct 29, 2011 Lilie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cette série débarque en français en février 2012 chez J'ai Lu et je vous conseille de la lire, c'est l'une des meilleures séries de Charlaine Harris.
Pas de fantastique, un bon policier avec une héroïne extraordinaire.
Debra
Jun 24, 2011 Debra rated it really liked it
These are complete fluff, but I love the character of Lily Bard. You can read them in a few hours. What a perfect escape. I am sorry there will be no more in the series.
Joanna
A really quick read. But be warned – there is no paranormal element in those books at all. Well, maybe except keeping shoe polish in the linen closet… ;-)
R.
Oct 29, 2011 R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn;t like Lily at the start, but he more I read, the more I started to warm up to her.
JackieB
May 03, 2012 JackieB is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It will take me a while to get through this, as I do not like reading books by the same author back to back. Here are my reflections on the individual stories in this omnibus as I read them.

Shakespeare's Landlord: OK plot, OK character. Actually, I think the main problem with this is that the character isn't funny like Sooky Stackhouse, and I had trouble taking to her at the beginning. This is definitely a series where you need to like the main character. However, I warmed to her as the plot dev
Samie Foster
Shakespeare’s Counselor By Charlene Harris

Okay I’m always looking for something new. And I decided to give Charlaine Harris a try. Why? Because it seems everyone one in my family is obsessed with her True Blood Series. But borrowing those books is apparently is forbidden and they must be printed in golden ink because they are super expensive. So instead of that I ended up with a Lily Bard Mystery novel called the Shakespeare’s Counselor.

So what is it about? It focuses on a woman named Lily who
Tracy Terry
Dec 15, 2012 Tracy Terry rated it liked it
SHAKESPEARE'S CHRISTMAS.

The third in the Lily Bard/Shakespeare Mystery series. At last a plot that has some substance to it, a whodunit that though the reason why is fairly obvious the perpetrator is less so.

Interesting that the author chose this, the third book in the series, to really explore the aftermath of Lily's assault not just through the eyes of those closest to Lily but also through Lily herself's eyes, though this works ok as a stand alone novel it is because of this that I think the
Damian Trasler
May 28, 2012 Damian Trasler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this is just a review of Shakespeare's Counsellor (Don't you DO apostrophes, Goodreads? Tsk tsk!) but I couldn't find it in the search thingy. Whatever.

I picked this book at random off the library shelves. Although I've read a couple of the SOOKIE STACKHOUSE books (and enjoyed them well enough) I didn't twig that this was THAT Charlaine Harris until much later. I was also expecting a historical mystery, but this Shakespeare is a town that the protagonist (Lily Bard) has settled in following
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Nov 23, 2011 La Stamberga dei Lettori rated it liked it
Shelves: valetta97
Prima di raggiungere la fama mondiale con i vampiri e licantropi di True Blood, Charlaine Harris si divertiva a scrivere romanzi meno sovrannaturali ma che avevano sempre per protagoniste giovani donne forti e un po' asociali.
La serie di Lily Bard, inedita in Italia, rientra nella categoria dei cosiddetti cozy misteries, ovvero quei gialli "leggeri" che hanno per protagonista una detective dilettante alle prese con un mistero da risolvere, anche se in questo caso alcune regole del genere vengono
Sam
This was a really enjoyable collection of mystery stories. Lily Bard is an interesting character. A woman of few words and blunt to the point of painful, her character is a result of her horrific past, and Charlaine Harris brings that across very well. I loved the small town setting, with a supporting cast of 'regulars' who turn up through all the books, and, as always with Charlaine Harris, it's the personalities and little details that really make these shine. Interesting that there's absolute ...more
Carol
Feb 24, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
I've been a long time reader of Charlaine Harris and know that she comes up with some quirky heroines. But Lily Bard is different and I love her. Lily is a damaged woman, both physically and emotionally, and these are dark stories. From the first in Shakespeare's Landlord to the last (but I sincerely hope not final) in Shakespeare's Counsellor, Lily struggles to win her way to a normal life. In each book we get glimpses of her past which, I think was the only way to tell her story. For Harris to ...more
Bluesky
Feb 15, 2012 Bluesky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had spun the five stories in this omnibus out a bit, but I was enjoying getting to know Lily Bard so much that I made a bit of a pig of myself. Charlaine Harris is adept at squeaking in a bit of humour when you least expect it, but where she really shines is her characters. Lovely, well rounded, realistic people. My only quibble is that there were a few discrepancies in the flow of the story line (Lily gets contraception/ Lily reveals she can't have babies due to injury and subsequent i ...more
Susan
Mar 17, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all the Sookie Stackhouse books and enjoyed them very much, but only recently discovered that Ms. Harris had written other short mystery series books as well. I found all five books of this series at a used book store and read them in one weekend. Some are much better than others,but on the whole an entertaining read. I liked Lily Bard. She is a woman struggling to overcome many things in her life and doing it in a way that allows her to earn her living in a respectable way, while deal ...more
Jo Pussinabox
I quite enjoyed these books as I have Harris's other books. They're easy reading with mildly intriguing characters, as is Lily Bard. Lily is shaped by past events and as the stories progress, she comes to terms with what happened. I liked this side of the stories and the cases involved were interesting. I decided to give it 3 stars as I found it quite middle of the road. Maybe it didn't help reading all five books one after another.
Emily
Aug 05, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lily Bard is my favourite modern heroine. She is committed, down-to-earth and intelligent; not only a master sleuth, but also a character who has an unbelievable life story. Throughout the series she proved, time and time again, that she is gutsy and brave; she has overcome so much, and yet the feeling that there is more to come is potent.
The novels were descriptive and well crafted - not only interesting stories, but genuine experiences. Characters were believable and solid, with amazing back
Jan Schindler
Jul 04, 2016 Jan Schindler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this whole series. No supernatural beings but good mysteries and a likeable main character. Good summer read
Sharon
Sep 09, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Really enjoyable murder mysteries involving folks in a small Southern town. Lily Bard has a horrific past and has remade her life in Shakespeare as a cleaner. As each unfortunate resident of the town meets their untimely end, Lily is involved in the events by virtue of proximity. Through the stories, she also comes to be more at peace with the events that so changed her life, both through friendships and her own growing realisation that though she was affected by her past, it does't have to dict ...more
Jacks
Aug 07, 2012 Jacks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this series loads.
Lily bard the character is really quite an odd character but one i liked a lot.
Well written, kept me guessing with every story.
Nice amount of characters in the stories without getting too complicated.
Just enough action but not too much to overwhelm the read.
Charlaine Harris never dissapoints :-)
Tracey
Aug 14, 2012 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I brought this collection as they were on special offer and i really enjoy the Stookie Stackhouse collection, so far i have read one and it was ok but there are so many better books out there that i put the rest on a back burner and will probaly chuck them in the bottom of my suitcase on my next beach holiday
Lea
Sep 25, 2012 Lea rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately, the vampire series has taken away any focus on Charlaine Harris' other series which I find just as fun to read. I hope she continues to write for these series and that her vampire series, which is likewise lots of fun to read, won't take her time and interest away from her other series.
Penny Thomas
Oct 03, 2013 Penny Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lily bard is a woman with a tragic past, the story revolves around her trying to start again, the stories are well written and interesting. Although I didn't like this series as much as some of the others charlaine Harris has written, it's still worth a read.
Goodreads Librari...: please restore cover art 3 65 Feb 01, 2012 10:43AM
Goodreads Librari...: Number of pages missing from entry 3 19 Jan 29, 2012 09:16AM
  • Shanghai
  • Bound to Me (Dark Days, #0.5)
  • I Hate Martin Amis et al.
  • Nærmeste Pårørende
  • The Aimee Leduc Companion: A Guide to Cara Black's Paris
  • Captives: Britain, Empire, and the World, 1600-1850
  • The Dealer And The Dead
  • The Stalking of Julia Gillard
  • The Dark-Hunters, Vol. 3 (Dark-Hunter Manga, #3)
  • Wink Murder
  • Murder, They Wrote (Includes: Aurora Teagarden)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • Quick Bites: Fiction to Sink Your Teeth Into
  • A Cotswold Killing (Thea Osborne, #1)
  • My Fake Fiancé (story #1 from Wedding Flirts! 5 Romantic Short Stories)
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • The Blood Countess (Pandora English, #1)
  • Shadow Play (A Tracker Novel)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

Lily Bard (5 books)
  • Shakespeare's Landlord (Lily Bard, #1)
  • Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard, #2)
  • Shakespeare's Christmas (Lily Bard, #3)
  • Shakespeare's Trollop (Lily Bard, #4)
  • Shakespeare's Counselor (Lily Bard, #5)