Start by marking “Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode #2)” as Want to Read:
Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode #2)

Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  539 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A sleuth sure to melt readers' hearts-from the author of I Scream, You Scream

During the local college's annual Honor's Day festivities, a graduate student is killed. When the English professor suspected of his murder also meets an untimely end, Tallulah Jones steps out from behind the counter of Remember the a-la-Mode to clear the professor's name-before anyone else get
Published (first published July 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Scoop to Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scoop to Kill

RC
Again... I love the cover. I started with Scoop to Kill because I did not have enough time to find I Scream, You Scream (#1 in the series) at the library. I have to tell you I am glad I did. I really enjoyed this book. It is a perfect summer read. Fast-paced plot, likable characters, and just enough twists to keep you reading. The main character (Tally) runs a local ice cream shop and as the story opens she is attending the Honor's Day activities at the local university where her roommate's daug ...more
Kiera Healy
This is a frivolous bit of chicklit about an ice-cream parlour owner who "solves" a murder mystery. Tally Jones is an allegedly frumpy (though caught in the middle of a love triangle with two gorgeous men, natch) Texan divorcee propelled into the centre of a mystery when her cousin's daughter's professor's student is found dead. It's a small town, apparently.

Hercule Poirot she ain't - Ms Jones spends most of the novel stumbling aimlessly while the killer jumps up and down in front of her writing
Chaitra
I didn't care for the first book in the Mystery a la Mode series at all, and wouldn't have read this one had it not been for a challenge. But this was, while not being the best ever, quite ok.

We see ice cream parlor owner Tally Jones, a year after her adventures in the first book. She has resolved not to meddle in anything, but when a graduate student is killed and his body discovered by her niece Alice, she becomes embroiled in the mystery of his murder. The main suspect is an English professo
Michael A
ok #2 book - will wait and see what #3 does to see if worth staying with series. so many of these "lite" mysteries become same-o, same-o after 3 or 4 books that the only saving grace is the character development rather than the redundant dead body and nozy-parker approach to a solution.
Laudys
Just like the first book. The mystery is intriguing enough to keep you reading, but most of the so called plot twists can be deduced wayyyy before Tally figures them out. And once again, the Dalliance Police department is managed by a bunch of morons who have no idea what actual police work should entail. It never takes Tally and Co. more than a bit of snooping to know that things are not what they seem, taking actions that the police, who are allegedly "investigating" the murders, should take b ...more
Kim
I like the recipes in these books as you don't have to make the ice cream to create the recipe. As for the mysteries themselves, they are holding my interest and again I did not see who did it.
Stewie's Mom
I sure do like the characters in this series. Somehow, I think Tally is supposed to get back together with Finn, although Cal, the town police officer, currently looks like a maybe candidate for romance. So, at the books' finish, I still don't know who Tally's love interest is going to be. I sure hope this doesn't turn into a Joanne Fluke style "boy-girl-boy" triangle. That got old really fast in that series and I would hate to see it pop up here, as well. However, it seems like thats the road T ...more
Susan
Although I was feeling kind of burned out on series about spunky women business owners who snoop into small-town crimes, Tally Jones and her ice-cream shop cooled me right down. Alice, the precocious daughter of divorced Tally's housemate and cousin Bree, is attending the prestigious local college and finds a body in the copier room. Tally's old boyfriend, recently moved back to town, has a history with Alice's favorite professor, who is suspected of the killing. There's another man who is inter ...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I liked this second book in the series - but probably not as much as the first one. I might just not have been relaxed enough to enjoy the book, but it didn't seem to hold my attention as much. The plot was good, although I guessed the final crime and whodunit about midway through. I found all the secondary characters very vivid and felt their backgrounds were expanded from the first book, but I didn't feel the same way about the main character, Tully. Perhaps that was why this one didn't get 4 ...more
Tina
Yet another book that I picked up when Borders went out of business. Now I wish that I would have picked up a few more books by Watson.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters in the series. I believe that this is the second book in the series. I could tell that I was missing pieces of the backstory at several points in the book. Nonetheless, I found it to be a very enjoyable book. It reminded me of the series of books by JoAnne Fluke that follows Hannah Swenson, only with ice cream instead of c
Barbara
I've been getting tired of the overly snoopy heroines in many cozy mysteries. Tally does end up snooping and solving the mystery, but she is not obnoxious or reckless about it. I hate those heroines that feel they have the right and duty to question people they barely know or don't even know, because they think they can do a better job than the professionals (especially cops) in solving the mystery.

The plot isn't simplistic, either. I think I'll continue with this series.
Amelia-Irene
This is the second book in the series, and the characters are starting to really shape up. It will be interesting to see how they really flesh out in the future, as the three main women in the story(s) are not known for making wise choices in the males in their lives. Teen-age niece Alice finds the first murder victim and her mother Bree, is on the phone with the second murder victim... This was a harder one to figure out who the murderer is, which is a welcome change for once.
Sara
Enjoyed this one as well! Especially liked the academic focus -- fun!
Nell
Outstanding. Well-written complex plot. Likeable characters. The protagonist owns an ice cream shop in the small college town where she grew up. Author skillfully blends local Texas customs with town-gown tensions. There are a mix of motives and suspects and plenty of red herrings. The motive and the murderer are not as simple as it first appears. Highly recommended.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This being the second in the new series, I was very pleased with the content, mystery, personal relationships between the characters, and the more realistic feel to the entire book.

I loved the first one but "Scoop to Kill" is vastly improved. This was a believable story and now I really want to know what happens next...

The recipes are a treat too!
Jon Rybka-Wachhaus
I enjoyed this one as much as the first one. I now need to find the third one so I can see it.
CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater
Ok, so I think I've fallen in love with Tally and her crew, especially Finn and Alice.
The mystery was solid and felt just a little rushed at the end. I wad completely sideswiped by the end simply because very few clues led back to the villain.
Either way, it was interesting.
What's more interesting is who will Tally choose?
I'm team Finn.
Zoe
I seem to grow fonder and fonder of this series with each book I read. Wendy's writing is fresh and fun and her books are off-the beaten track of the cozy genre.The plot in this second installment was smart and I am looking forward to the next book in the series.Plus I want to find out which man between Cal and Finn Tally chose!
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
3.5 stars. This is an above average cozy series. I really like the protagonist and all the main characters. I was not expecting the little love triangle at the end but I kind of liked it! On a side note, one thing I don't believe for a minute is that Tally would enroll in AND pay for college classes - that was a little over the top!
Diane ~Firefly~
Likable characters, fun setting and looks like the romantic triangle will be cleared up by the next book. The mystery was ok. By the last third of the book the clues were practically yelling at you, and it still took Tally a bit to figure out. The ice cream sounds delicious and will leave you craving it.
Andrea Nicole
Picked up on clearance and was not aware until after purchase that there was a book prior to this one. Although, I don't think they are necessarily sequential. Read completely over the course of a day, fun little caper of a whodunit. Would recommend if needing something quick and fun to read.
Ness
II found this novel a little slower to get into than the last one. However, by the time I hit the middle of the book I could not put it down.

I love the characters. The books actually remind me of Joanna Fluke’s “food” series.

It makes a nice change from vampires and paranormal.
Jess Faraday
The characters were likable and unique. I also enjoyed the tension between academic "insiders" and "outsiders," though more could have been made of this part. Could also have used a bit more setting description. Overall, it was a very nice, enjoyable, quick read, and I liked it.
Sandybear76
Tally owns the local ice cream shop and her cousin and niece work with her. A graduate student at the local college is found dead before the big meeting.Alice's professor is a person of interest and Tally is trying to prove that someone else killed the grad student.
Christine Jensen
I really enjoyed the likable characters in this series. The language was a bit harsher than I usually enjoy but all in all a good book. I am anxious to find out who Tally is dating...as that is left handing at the end of book 2 (and book 3 is not due out until June)
Ali
Didn't like this one quite as much as the first, but still better than most recent cozies I've been reading. I also didn't quite have the murderer figured out until their reveal, I was close, but just off, which I like.
Jaimie
More of a 3.5 but good enough to be rounded up. The story wasn't as suprising as the first one but the character development was more suspensful so it evened out. Tally just can't keep herself out of sticky situations.
Melodie
I enjoyed this one every bit as the first and look forward to the next one. Even though the ending wasn't what I expected I'm still rating it 5-stars since something about these books just resonates with me.
Jeanette
Fun, likable characters with amateur sleuthing and a bit of romance. Tally better pick Cal because Finn isn't worthy of her! Can't wait for the next book.
Kate
This book was good (but I liked the first one even more). The ending leaves you waiting for the next in the series so I can't wait for it to come out!
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery #2)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • A Killer Crop (Orchard, #4)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Tressed to Kill
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
Wendy Lyn Watson's checkered past includes stints as a graveyard shift Denny's waitress, a nanny, a video arcade attendant, and a federal court law clerk. These days, Wendy's day job is teaching constitutional law to college kids.

She also writes mysteries ... light, funny mysteries (because what could be funnier than murder?). Following the Mysteries a la Mode, Wendy's adding some history to her m
More about Wendy Lyn Watson...

A Mystery a La Mode (3 books)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1) A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3) Once Upon A Wallflower